Help me understand cell phone use in Bermuda, please

danyel

I have Verizon. If I call Bermuda from the states to speak with people to arrange tours, etc., will there be a charge?

While in Bermuda, will there be charges to use the phone to call others in my party or to business, etc. in Bermuda?

I do not have an International plan.

Thanks for educating me!

If you call Bermuda from US to arrange tours and it is a 441 number, you will pay long distance charges for the call. Look for toll free numbers. If you want to use your cell while in Bermuda, you will be "roaming" and charged accordingly for data and calls. I have ATT and just arranged a "passport" for $30 good for one month and it allows a certain amount of data, and charges $1 per minute for calls in Bermuda, there was another plan that was $60 and calls would have been .50 per minute. I do not plan on making calls while there and will have to suck it up for the few that I am sure I will end up making, but I just didn't think double the price made up for half price per minute. Other options-if you want to reach others in your party and you are both in range of free Wi-Fi, you can use facebook messenger, google voice, tango, what's app or Skype. Nothing I have said applies on board the ship enroute to/from Bermuda, I am talking on the island. Enjoy!

I have Verizon. If I call Bermuda from the states to speak with people to arrange tours, etc., will there be a charge?

While in Bermuda, will there be charges to use the phone to call others in my party or to business, etc. in Bermuda?

I do not have an International plan.

Thanks for educating me!

The others have given good answers. Just to add to it, when I need to make an international call from the states I use Skype. There is a charge for calling to a landline phone but it is much less expensive than from my cell or from my landline.

I called the Bermuda Department of Tourism 1-212-818-9800 OR 1-800-223-6106 to check about WiFi at the Dockyard.

I was told (and I had read about it) that one can get WiFi anywhere at the Dockyard with a Mobile Device. I learned from the Tourism Dept. that the FEE is $4.99 per hour. There may be some computers available at the Dockyard to use.

I called the Bermuda Department of Tourism 1-212-818-9800 OR 1-800-223-6106 to check about WiFi at the Dockyard.

I was told (and I had read about it) that one can get WiFi anywhere at the Dockyard with a Mobile Device. I learned from the Tourism Dept. that the FEE is $4.99 per hour. There may be some computers available at the Dockyard to use.

The reports last year about the quality and speed of the WiFi available at the Dockyard were mixed. Those reports convinced me not to buy it.

Edited by Charles4515

if you have to use your phone the best thing to do is get your phone unlocked if it is not, ask your provider if they can do. Sprint had no problem unlocking mine. Purchase a sim card when you arrive, pop to in your phone and make sure you save the one currently in it as you will need it when you get back

this is the info for the Sim

Freedom_Bundles.jpg.0b5674897437c5f20b8caa5d4df1c9b7.jpg

We will be in Bermuda shortly and want to use our verizon phones a few times there --away from the ship. He was told just to use phone as usual, but will be $2.25 or so a minute- with the roaming charges. So we only want to make a quick call each day to check on things at home. So we are prepared for $10 a day charge to do so. "Ouch"- about a 4-5 minute call each day---

On ship, we we just check on things by email--paying the overpriced internet plan on board.

if you have to use your phone the best thing to do is get your phone unlocked if it is not, ask your provider if they can do. Sprint had no problem unlocking mine. Purchase a sim card when you arrive, pop to in your phone and make sure you save the one currently in it as you will need it when you get back

this is the info for the Sim

Where did you purchase the Freedom SIM?

I have T-Mobile (free in Bermuda) but I use an app called viber. It is free to text or call. I used it when I was in Mexico. The only catch is the the other person must have it too. My family just downloaded it and we talked or texted the whole time. I just popped out my SIM card and everything went right thru viber.

Where did you purchase the Freedom SIM?

I have not purchased yet but was told andy cell phone store on the Island as well as some convenience stores have them.

We did this in Europe last Christmas and it worked awesome

I have not purchased yet but was told andy cell phone store on the Island as well as some convenience stores have them.

The only cell phone store that I know of is in Hamilton. I don't think I will be in Hamilton until halfway thru. As far as connivence stores and the like not going to spend time looking for a SIM. Not going to plan my cruise around locating a SIM. I would need to know locations.

In Europe last year I used an AT&T plan. Since I was in multiple counties using that worked out best. If in one country for a while a SIM card might have been better but AT&T has come up with some pretty good plans called Passport. For two and a half days in Bermuda don't really need a local SIM card. But if I could easily find that $15 card I might. Not worth spending vacation time looking for it though for a couple of days use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have done a bit of research. Besides the store in Hamilton and other stores in Hamilton the SIM cards are sold at the Dockyard Pharmacy. What you posted are the price of bundles. In addition you also have to buy the card which is $20. So that is $35 minimum. I don't think that includes the government fee of $7.35 but not sure of that. If I were staying in Bermuda a week I would get a card and bundle. For 2 and a half days it's not worth it to me personally but I expect there are a some people who for whatever reason need to be connected and could use it even for only 2 and a half days.

Yes, I saw that thread but it only mentioned the store in Hamilton. Great if you are on the Veendam and docked on Front Street in Hamilton. That location could be inconvenient if you are docked at the Dockyard. However I have discovered they sell the cards at the Dockyard Pharmacy.

My DD & DH traveled on the Summit last month. Below is the local telephone company link for Wifi service. The charge for 3 days is $14.99 per device. You buy in a small gift shop right off the pier.

It keep my text crazed daughter very happy!

Best,

Phillyrose

https://www.telebermuda.com/residential/wifi/

WiFiZone Hotspots

Public internet access – secure, blazing fast speeds, reasonably priced. Connect to the WifiZone network from any wifi enabled device such as a smart phone, tablet, personal computer or digital audio player.

Over 40 hotspots island-wide including Dockyard, Hamilton, and St. Georges. Sign up once and have access from all hotspot locations.

How to Connect?

Enable WIFI on your device

Search for the WiFiZone by TBi network

Open a web browser to connect to sign-up page

Rates

1 hour- $4.99

24 hrs- $9.99

72 hrs- $14.99

Basic Monthly- $29.99

Pay by credit card or prepaid coupons available at select locations.

We bought wifi at (I think it was called) Island Outfitter, in the dockyard across from the ferry. It was $14.99 for 3 days. We mostly text and emailed, but my DD and her bf used facetime. You will only get a signal in the dockyard, best right outside the store. So when we went traveling and picture taking, we waited until we got back to the dockyard to post our pics on FB and instagram.

• 2 weeks later...
If you buy the WiFi package, is there any chance of getting a connection from verandah on the ship?

From what I have read, Yes .

If your balcony is facing the Dockyard, yes it's possible. If you're facing the harbor, no, from what I've read.

We used Viber to text with our family from Europe and it worked great, you just have to be on wi-fi when you use it and the person you are trying to contact has to have Viber also, and it's free.