Pride of America - Best time to Plan?

We're a couple years off, but I'm curious the best way to land a deal for Hawaii. Sept/Oct is ideal for us, but we're open to any time of year, except December. We don't mind booking two years out, or waiting for a deal after final payment. We want to do this on a budget, keeping in mind airfare as well.

Depends on what you want to see. I am told the whales migrate during the winter, so if you want to see them, that is the best time to go, up through March or April. Also winter seems to be a better time for higher waves at many beaches.

We're a couple years off, but I'm curious the best way to land a deal for Hawaii. Sept/Oct is ideal for us, but we're open to any time of year, except December. We don't mind booking two years out, or waiting for a deal after final payment. We want to do this on a budget, keeping in mind airfare as well.

I don't think you'll find many deals on POA cruises. Because the POA is the only cruise ship offering an inter-island cruise that begins and ends in Honolulu, the ship books full, or nearly full, consistently.

Same holds true for airfare to Hawaii, as it's a popular and busy destination, but I think you're more likely to find some discounted air fares, as opposed to a discounted POA cruise.

I'd just pick the time you want to go, and get the best prices you can for that trip.

ive been trolling the POA rates for awhile now. tehy are always constant, with no "shoulder season". if and when we do this, we just plan on having to spend around $8K for room, flights and booze and then booking at the time we prefer, which most likely would be our usual first week of september (that's our one constant, same every year week).

We booked our POA cruise about 17 months out. Came across a deal one day and, knowing it was a fantastic deal, immediately booked it. It pays to check other websites besides NCL. Our sailing was the Saturday after Thanksgiving last year and we had booked a package deal through an online travel agency which included ALL of the following: Oceanview cabin, lei greeting at the airport, transfer to the hotel, two nights pre-cruise hotel in Honolulu with buffet breakfast and wifi, half day Honolulu city tour, transfer to the ship from the hotel, $100 onboard credit for the cabin, $100 shore excursion credit for the cabin, and pre-paid gratuities - for $1299 per person plus taxes. Airfare was separate. The same day I booked this package, NCL was selling JUST THE CABIN on their website for $1549 plus taxes. I was a little leery at first, but everything was perfect - all the reservations, transfers, credits, gratuities, etc.

I can't mention the name of the online agency here but my point is, shop around. Different agencies offer different things, and it can be a significant benefit to book somewhere other than with the cruise line directly. I still get emails from the agency I booked with and often they reference this Hawaii package as their best selling package deal. It's not going for the same price now as we paid, and the package may not include all of what we had, but it's still a great deal.

• 2 months later...
ive been trolling the POA rates for awhile now. tehy are always constant, with no "shoulder season". if and when we do this, we just plan on having to spend around $8K for room, flights and booze and then booking at the time we prefer, which most likely would be our usual first week of september (that's our one constant, same every year week).

We have already spent the following (approx):

Flight Newark to Honolulu - $2300

Hotel 2 days before and 2 after - $1100

Cruise Fare Balcony Guarantee - $4200

Pre-Paid Gratuities - $200

Excursions in Hilo&Kona - $400

3 Meal SDP - $200

1 Soda Card - $60

Pearl Harbor Excursion $75

Luau in Honolulu $150

Total So Far $8685. That doesn't include drinks on board (luckily we have $400 OBC), food while in Honolulu or rental cars.

Hawaii is expensive, but it is the Honeymoon we couldn't do last year when we were married so we're making it a once in a lifetime trip.

One more thing, I can actually fly roundtrip to Ireland out of my local airport now for less than half of what we paid for our flight.

we will stay probably two nights at most pre-cruise. we always fly home immediately after a cruise. when its done, its done, i like to get home.

we wouldnt do the soda card or the specialty dining (we get two free meals for Platinum, and we never buy specialty anymore). so that's around $900 saved. so it appears my $8k budget is nearly spot on (the $2300 for airfare is a tad scary tho). Are you going on Hawaiian Airlines ?

we will stay probably two nights at most pre-cruise. we always fly home immediately after a cruise. when its done, its done, i like to get home.

we wouldnt do the soda card or the specialty dining (we get two free meals for Platinum, and we never buy specialty anymore). so that's around $900 saved. so it appears my $8k budget is nearly spot on (the $2300 for airfare is a tad scary tho). Are you going on Hawaiian Airlines ?

We are flying United from Newark Non-stop both ways. Hawaiian airlines was about $200 more per person each way and I can't justify $400 just for an in flight meal.

United Flight 61 from Newark and Flight 14 from Honolulu run non-stop everyday.

I live on Maui and worked in tourism for a number of years. Traditionally, the slower times of the year are May, September, first two weeks of December and the first full week of January (after holiday guests fly home). Avoid Golden Week (Japan holiday), Christmas, and the summer months as these are the busiest times.

Of course all of this can change depending on conference bookings etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just posted our review from last week, so take a look. We booked a year out and as others have said, NCL is the ONLY line that cruises year 'round, so deals aren't as forthcoming as if you were cruising the Caribbean. Moreover, since it's Hawaii and they have VERY strict alcohol laws, you won't be seeing any booze package offered. Expect that this will be a cruise far more expensive than your normal 7 night - nature of the location and NCL owning this market.

Too funny I was looking at maybe a kids sail free promo for Hawaii.

I have seen this promo offered, and sometimes a couple hotels nights precruise included, but promos for Hawaii are rare. They don't need to offer them to get the bookings, so they don't. So if you see one, better jump on it.

The lowest prices are Fall after the kids go back to school, and between Thanksgiving and Christmas. But even then, it's not a huge savings. The farther out you book, the lower the price. Book early and then monitor prices. If you find a lower rate, just cancel and rebook up to final payment. Most likely you'll see the rates go up, not down. So, those who catch a "price drop" immediately before sail date, could have probably booked at that same price or lower a year or two before and saved the drama.

It's comparatively an expensive cruise, but some of that is offset by the fact that you can do nearly everything in Hawaii on your own by rental car or very inexpensively by comparison independent excursions, NOT the very expensive ship tours which would be one thing if they were superior, but they are not. Lots of savings there.

General wisdom for the airfares to Hawaii is to book as early as they open up for your date. We booked ours 9 months out. Only $220 pp from the west coast one-way.

Do look at online TAs for additional savings in possibly price as well as extra perks and OBC.

I was also told the ship goes out 98% full year round. The single rooms do book up quickly. And also folks want to be on the Starboard (right side facing forward) to see the coastal cruise of Kauai. Also I am booked on the ship for two weeks to go around twice and I wanted the same room. With such a long flight and many good shore excursions, I decided to do 2 weeks to avoid flights between islands. So think about room location and put money down especially when the have the $50 deposit. I am also told that a few months before I can add on any promos that were not available at time of booking.

• 2 weeks later...
We booked our POA cruise about 17 months out. Came across a deal one day and, knowing it was a fantastic deal, immediately booked it. It pays to check other websites besides NCL. Our sailing was the Saturday after Thanksgiving last year and we had booked a package deal through an online travel agency which included ALL of the following: Oceanview cabin, lei greeting at the airport, transfer to the hotel, two nights pre-cruise hotel in Honolulu with buffet breakfast and wifi, half day Honolulu city tour, transfer to the ship from the hotel, $100 onboard credit for the cabin, $100 shore excursion credit for the cabin, and pre-paid gratuities - for $1299 per person plus taxes. Airfare was separate. The same day I booked this package, NCL was selling JUST THE CABIN on their website for $1549 plus taxes. I was a little leery at first, but everything was perfect - all the reservations, transfers, credits, gratuities, etc.

I can't mention the name of the online agency here but my point is, shop around. Different agencies offer different things, and it can be a significant benefit to book somewhere other than with the cruise line directly. I still get emails from the agency I booked with and often they reference this Hawaii package as their best selling package deal. It's not going for the same price now as we paid, and the package may not include all of what we had, but it's still a great deal.

Is there anyway you can give me the name of that agency? we are shopping for deals. Thank you! salem0615@yahoo.com

I was also told the ship goes out 98% full year round. The single rooms do book up quickly. And also folks want to be on the Starboard (right side facing forward) to see the coastal cruise of Kauai. Also I am booked on the ship for two weeks to go around twice and I wanted the same room. With such a long flight and many good shore excursions, I decided to do 2 weeks to avoid flights between islands. So think about room location and put money down especially when the have the $50 deposit. I am also told that a few months before I can add on any promos that were not available at time of booking.

Actually, the ship passes by the Na Pali coastline with the Port side ( left side when facing forward ) facing the coast. The Starboard side is the facing side for the sail by of the lava flow into the ocean, if it is still going in that direction at the time of your cruise. Since the NaPali sail by is longer, and is a definate, I'd choose Port side over a short, maybe, Starboard sail by of the lava flow. There are always the open decks.

If there is a new promo deal offered, if you are still outside the cancellation period you can cancel and rebook to get the new deal, otherwise no. Whatever the cruise rate is at the time would apply.

Your idea of back to back POA cruises is a great one if you have the time and the budget. There is more than enough to do on each of the islands to justify this. If not possible, an alternative is to stretch your time with a few days before or after on O'ahu. Or, some like to fly in to the big island of Hawaii a few days early to do some of the things that are offered at night but not possible to take advantage of during the daylight hours of the ship's port stops. Things like night time viewing of the Kilauea crater near Hilo, and night snorkels and dives from Kona to see giant Manta rays and the phosphorescent fish. A quick 30 min flight, probably @ $100 pp, will get you to O'ahu on the day of the cruise.