Meat in Chops Grill and Dining Room

RG10203

We've just returned from the Navigator and although it was a great cruise as usual, I noticed the meat at Chops Grill and in the dining room was of very poor quality. I know many people think food is subjective and I agree. I have sailed with Royal Caribbean 32 times and have always thought the meat in the dining room was always pretty good and outstanding in Chops Grill (we're Chops Grill regulars). A friend had sailed the Mariner last month and he told me prime rib was not on the menu in either the dining room or Chops Grill. I found the same to be true on the Navigator. When I inquired about the prime rib at Chops Grill I was told they stopped serving it because the quality was poor, leading me to believe they had problems with the supplier. I would have believed this reasoning, but a head waiter when asked by another passenger about the poor meat quality, commented things were tight and they have been cutting back on the quality of food. The meat in the dining was poor and the Filet Mignon and T-bone steak in chops grill were terrible. The Waiter in Chops steered me away from the Veal Chop and the Lamb claiming the quality was poor. He recommended the T-Bone, but it was terrible. Many people commented on this issue throughout the cruise so I know it’s not just me. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend spending $20 to eat at Chops Grill until things improve. I truly hope this issue is specific for the Mariner and Navigator and is corrected soon!

We've just returned from the Navigator and although it was a great cruise as usual, I noticed the meat at Chops Grill and in the dining room was of very poor quality. I know many people think food is subjective and I agree. I have sailed with Royal Caribbean 32 times and have always thought the meat in the dining room was always pretty good and outstanding in Chops Grill (we're Chops Grill regulars). A friend had sailed the Mariner last month and he told me prime rib was not on the menu in either the dining room or Chops Grill. I found the same to be true on the Navigator. When I inquired about the prime rib at Chops Grill I was told they stopped serving it because the quality was poor, leading me to believe they had problems with the supplier. I would have believed this reasoning, but a head waiter when asked by another passenger about the poor meat quality, commented things were tight and they have been cutting back on the quality of food. The meat in the dining was poor and the Filet Mignon and T-bone steak in chops grill were terrible. The Waiter in Chops steered me away from the Veal Chop and the Lamb claiming the quality was poor. He recommended the T-Bone, but it was terrible. Many people commented on this issue throughout the cruise so I know it’s not just me. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend spending $20 to eat at Chops Grill until things improve. I truly hope this issue is specific for the Mariner and Navigator and is corrected soon!

I guess that I should be glad that I have no cruises scheduled for the Navigator! :eek: ;) :)

I hope that "terrible meat quality" is not spreading, and that this sailing was just an isolated incident.

Having poor quality meat served in Chops has to be the WORST situation possible for Royal Caribbean!

18 post's in 7 years, I smell a sh!T stirring troll!!!!

YEP I agree.....This is the first I have heard of this, and at in Chops in September on Mariner, and the filet was freaking amaaaaazing. I will be there again next Sunday night on the Navigator. NOW I do admit that it would not surprise me if it was just a bad week with the supplier, and the crew can easily say cost cutting it to blame and be DONE with it. I will let you all know next week:)

Just off the Radiance and the meat was terrific. I had the fillet mignon and my husband had the t-bone in Chops and we both thought they were outstanding.

I was even prepared for sub par lobster on formal night but to my surprise it was really good.

No complaints from us!

18 post's in 7 years, I smell a sh!T stirring troll!!!!

I think that is uncalled for, and quite an assumption on your part.

I don't know why you would find it so impossible to believe that this person experienced sub-par beef in Chops on his recent Navigator cruise.

Sh*t happens, to use your "abbreviation". :rolleyes:

Just a thought.....................

We were on the Liberty's 20 Oct 07 sailing.

Went to Chops I believe on Tuesday evening.

I ordered the T-bone and the wife ordered the Fillet Mignon.

My wife's fillet was un-believable. I would say 2 inches thick, cooked to perfection.

My T-bone was delicious and cooked to perfection also. The "problem", if you consider this a problem, it was maybe a half inch thick............................sorry - I expected a "larger" piece of meat. I believe the menu said 14 or 16 ounces, I truly doubt it.

Food in the main dining venues was great.

So - - the morale of the story.......................next time I order the fillet!!!!!!!! (Can't wait!!)

Happy Holidays everyone,

g

On a side note - the best cruise ship pay extra restaurant I have been into was on the Carnival Spirit. It was not a meal - it was an event. Probably took 3 almost 4 hours. They had a small combo to listen and dance to, I believe 3 dedicated waiters...............too bad I don't sail them anymore.

I agree with the OP, who IMHO is not a troll. I know most people rave about Chops, I found it disappointing, given the hype. The food was fine, better than the dining room but certainly not even close to a decent land based steakhouse. This is only my opinion and it will no doubt differ from others however this is just my observation on a very subjective topic.

Actually, I have to agree in part with the OP. I was on the Liberty a few weeks back. Our dinner at Chops was unmemorable. I ordered the filet and DH ordered T-bone. I wouldn't say the meat was poor quality but they had little taste and both were cooked poorly. We both ordered medium rare and they came bordering on well done. If fact, my filet had grill marks on the sides which is a sign that someone does not know how to cook a filet. I brought this to the server's attention immediately and was told that they were medium rare so we just ate them. It wasn't worth fighting with her. Sides, soups, desserts were good though. However, several days later I had the filet at Portofinos and it was out of this world- very tasty and cooked perfectly. I sent my praise to the chef and was told that many people tell them their filet is much better than Chops lol.

I should say, though, that we ate at Chops on the Serenade several years ago and it was good. Also, I was very impressed with the beef entrees in the main dining room on the Liberty. All were good and cooked just right. Next time we will stick with Portofinos and the main dining room. No more Chops for us.

i find it a litle strange that a crew memeber would make the statement to a apassanger that things are a little tite right now so they are either eliminating prime rib or substituting for quality with a lesser grade of meat...i just find that a little bizzare coming from a dinning room staff person...espically a head waiter...maybe this was mentioned in a staff meeting but i have to believe that if it is true it should have stayed behind closed doors...

I was on the Navigator this past week, I did have the Prime Rib in the dining room it was on the menu on Thursday and found it to be good. I would agree with you about Chops. We both ordered the T-Bone and it was not as good as our last experience with Chops, we found the meat to be tough, everything else we had with the meal was fine.

Chops always advertises that they serve Prime Meats, I honestly did not believe it the first time we dined there it was more like choice, this time it was more like select which is the lower grade then choice. With corn prices going through the roof which drives food prices up, it is either raise prices or cut the quality of meat. I would prefer they raise the prices in chops and give us the quality of meat they had before. Food is subjective but we did feel the same as you did the quality of the meat was of a lower grade. We still had a great time there.

Good to hear all the replies. Sounds like the west coast cruises are doing well which makes me believe my experience may have been a short time supplier issue, which would be good news. The comment by the head waiter still bothers. Believe what you want, he said it. I will definitely do Chops again since we are Chops regulars and I would hate to think of missing out on great food.

Just off Mariner this morning. Prime Rib was served in the Dining Room on Thursday night. Lamb in Chops was as good as last year's and that was the best I have ever had anywhere. IT IS TRULY OUTSTANDING!! Chops is always good, though husband did like his filet better last year than this year's T-Bone but he still enjoyed his steak. We were very happy with food in general on this sailing, everything was hot, service outstanding. Can't imagine anyone coming off this sailing unhappy with the food.

We have cruised on Princess several times and love it. We will be on our first RCL cruise next month, Mariner, with our two daughters who are in their 20's. We are trying to decide whether or not to try the specialty restaurants. We do live in the NYC area and are accustomed to excellent restaurants. I wonder if that makes a difference reading all the varied reviews. One daughter is vegetarian, no meat, chicken or fish. I will have to see what they have for her.

I agree with the OP, who IMHO is not a troll. I know most people rave about Chops, I found it disappointing, given the hype. The food was fine, better than the dining room but certainly not even close to a decent land based steakhouse. This is only my opinion and it will no doubt differ from others however this is just my observation on a very subjective topic.

If you guys can wait 480+ days, I'll settle this once and for all ;)

We have cruised on Princess several times and love it. We will be on our first RCL cruise next month, Mariner, with our two daughters who are in their 20's. We are trying to decide whether or not to try the specialty restaurants. We do live in the NYC area and are accustomed to excellent restaurants. I wonder if that makes a difference reading all the varied reviews. One daughter is vegetarian, no meat, chicken or fish. I will have to see what they have for her.

If you don't mind paying $20 for someone who won't eat the main course, don't worry, because she will definitely find food that she enjoys.

The sides are fabulous, and anyone could easily make a complete meal and more from them.

RME-

There were always vegetarian choices on the dinner menu on Mariner last week. Same thing at Chops and Portofino's. I thought the food in the DR was very good, no, not 4 star but very good, if you want top flight everynight then book Portofino's and Chops several times, but if you want good food, prepared well, with great service(at least for our table) then the DR will be fine. I tried one of the vegetarian entree's in DR as did husband and both were also good. You should be fine with the food I would think.

Very disappointing indeed. No Porterhouse and no Rib Eyes on the menu. A veal chop should be 16 ounces and a T-bone at least 16-18 ounces. 10 and 12 oz servings in a premium rest. was not what i was expecting.

Jimmers-

No complaints here.....had wonderful cruise this past week. Food was great. I don't need huge portions when there is food everywhere. Never felt slighted or that RCCL was skimping on portions. Husbands T-Bone in Chops was at least 16OZ. -- who needs more than that? As I said before the lamb in Chops was the BEST I've ever had. Can't imagine anyone being unhappy about the food. Quality always wins out over quantity in my book.

Archived