Skin care on cruise: Caribbean

Abercram

Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked/discussed before, but I am curious about how people manage their skincare while on a cruise, especially in hot climates. I am most curious about those who suffer from eczema/super sensitive skin. I find mine is worsened considerably by heat/humidity, and unfortunately the usual breakout areas are on the back and inner area of my thighs, which seams on shorts seem to be perfectly aligned with... Last cruise I tried to avoid using my steroid ointment as it's bad to be in the sun when using it but I was left dealing with angry skin for at least a month after due to general irritation and a bad reaction to either the sun, sunscreen, or general change in routine. Our next cruise is in the spring and once again in the Caribbean. My usual home routine is shower then use oil to seal in the moisture, then use a thick cream on top of that as needed. I try to shave my legs as least often as I can because that causes a rash sometimes as well and the skin on my legs takes so much longer to heal. However I don't think using oil will be a good idea for being in the sun, plus trying to layer sunscreen on top of it. Also does anyone notice a difference in protection between the spray sunscreen vs. lotion? I used copper tone baby lotion last time (thinking it would be good for babies it should be good for sensitive skin) and I developed little tiny bumps everywhere that took forever to go away. I'm thinking about using a spray such as one of the dry touch kind to avoid this in the future. Sorry this is insanely long, just wondering what has worked for other people.

Talk to your doctor....you have a severe issue and your doctor should be able to steer you in the right direction.

I get skin problems, too, but not that severe! Don't use OTC stuff unless your dermatologist says to!

Remember, the Caribbean is HUMID...so there's lots of moisture in the air....you might get hot, and sunburned (use sunscreen!), but you won't dry out!

Edited by cb at sea

I just discovered coconut oil. I have a raging spot on my knee that nothing would help. Even the $300 steroid cream! I have used it for 3 days and the improvement is amazing. I smell like an Almond Joy, but it beats the pain and itch!

Can't speak for sunscreen but I would highly recommend for after sun.

Moon orchid I have heard good things about that brand... So expensive though! I might try a sample size.

Cb I actually don't go to the dr since my parents are super super cheap... Except for the gyno because I have another condition that I have to keep tabs on. I finally convinced them to let me go to the derm last year when 50% of my body was broke out... After dealing with it and waiting for it to go away for about 7 months. Thankfully I changed laundry detergent and stopped using fabric softener and now I only have a moderate breakout when I'm stressed/hot/ someone puts fabric softener in my clothes when I'm not looking. I live in a relatively humid climate (South Carolina) but my skin still flakes off unless I load moisturizer on. But yes I severely limit my use of cosmetics to only what my derm recommended but she didn't say anything about sunscreen. I'm thinking a physical based one will be better than the chemical based ones since the physical ones reflect rather than absorb.

Kart I used to love coconut oil! It went rancid on me though because I kept scooping it with my hands so I switched to sweet almond (since it stays liquid you can squirt it out without contamination). LOVE it, and no smell!

Try Monistat Chafing Gel or powder for your thighs, it is highly recomended as a face primer too in hot weather like the Caribbean. Also try aloe vera gel, I swear by it. I just buy the CVS brand with the least ingredients, avoid menthol/mint.

CeraVe is a really good moisturiser with an SPF and no perfumes. You should go for fragrance free where possible as quite often even natural fragrances can be irritants.

I find Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch 55 spf a good body sun block and Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid spf 70 excellent for my face.....it doesn't turn into an oil slick, nor does it burn. Of course you do not need to get such high SPF's anything over 30 is as good, in fact research is starting to show the really high SPF's are not recommended.

For when you are at home try using Manuka Honey on you thighs or any other area you are having problems. It is a real honey so is sticky, you only need to appy a little, but I find it very effective.

Oh, this has been long, but lastly, try to wear skirts, long or short, instead of shorts. you wil have better air circulation and no seams to irritate.

Whew hope all this helps,

Cheers, h.

Try Monistat Chafing Gel or powder for your thighs, it is highly recomended as a face primer too in hot weather like the Caribbean. Also try aloe vera gel, I swear by it. I just buy the CVS brand with the least ingredients, avoid menthol/mint.

CeraVe is a really good moisturiser with an SPF and no perfumes. You should go for fragrance free where possible as quite often even natural fragrances can be irritants.

I find Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch 55 spf a good body sun block and Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid spf 70 excellent for my face.....it doesn't turn into an oil slick, nor does it burn. Of course you do not need to get such high SPF's anything over 30 is as good, in fact research is starting to show the really high SPF's are not recommended.

For when you are at home try using Manuka Honey on you thighs or any other area you are having problems. It is a real honey so is sticky, you only need to appy a little, but I find it very effective.

Oh, this has been long, but lastly, try to wear skirts, long or short, instead of shorts. you wil have better air circulation and no seams to irritate.

Whew hope all this helps,

Cheers, h.

Ooh yes thank you! I *completely* forgot that cerave makes a sunscreen lotion. I am using their body cream now, excellent stuff. I will check out the chafing gel and Neutrogena. I had been watching the sales at work (CVS) and I'm hoping I can get it when it's on sale as the bottles are so tiny. I wear dresses at night but during the day we're hiking/zip lining/ climbing so I'll probably have to stay with shorts but I might switch to gym shorts for excursions since their seams are different. Not as fashionable but hey if it keeps me from waddling later it's ok haha. Or maybe compression shorts like what fitness people wear underneath? I think those are usually smooth too. I'll definitely do dresses on the sea days. thank you everyone for good advice :)

Ha, fancy you working at CVS. It is the first place I head to when we reach Ft Lauderdale pre-cruise to stock up on my cruise lotions and potions.

Yes the streatchy sport shorts are great I have a longer pair, just above the knees for the odd riding treck and a few of the short pairs for all the other stuff, great for zip lining, repellling etc as your clothes are tighter to your body (I wear a tankini top with a rash guard t-shirt if needed).

cheers, h.

For the heat rash on your thighs I highly recommend the either Body Glide or the Gold Bond Friction Defense. In the morning after you have dried off completely from the shower rub this on the inner thigh or anywhere clothing is rubbing you. I used it under my arms once when I had a beaded dress that was rubbing and really irritating.

http://www.drugstore.com/gold-bond-chafing-defense-anti-friction-formula-unscented/qxp391906?catid=184117

http://www.drugstore.com/bodyglide-chafing-stick/qxp86517?catid=184117

Overnight it is best to go "free" at night and let air circulate in the area. I like to use a dusting of the gold bond powder (it tingles a bit) but really helps clear up any bumps or heat rash. I have used the Dollar Tree generic version and it works just as well, but I was able to find a small travel size of the GB at the drugstore.

http://www.drugstore.com/gold-bond-triple-action-medicated-body-powder/qxp14164?catid=195677

If you are getting bumps while shaving you may want to switch to a sensitive skin shave gel.

I used to get eczema on my hands when I bartended. Hands wet all the time = nasty rashes! My dermatologist told me to use Eucerin CREAM - not the lotion - and it cleared up in a couple of days.

For inside the thighs you might want to try a runner's rash stick. These are like deodorant sticks, but they leave a layer of lubricant (non-greasy) that prevents chafing. Last winter I bought a stick of this at Publix in Fort Lauderdale, so you may not need to go to a running store. I think it may have been made by Arm & Hammer?

I also have super sensitive skin. Some products that are made for sensitive skin are horrible for me. Worst sunscreen for me is Neutrogena. Makes my face break out in about 30 minutes. If you can get a sample or small tube, try it before you invest in a big bottle.

I use Cetaphil to wash and then a sunscreen that I get from my dermatologist. If your parents won't spring for you to see a derm then perhaps you could speak to the pharmacist at your CVS? Rather than spending money on Shiseido (which is a good brand) you might want to try Clinique. Their products are quite pure, and department store counters may give you a sample to try before you buy.

You might want to consider baby powder instead of Gold Bond Powder. I had an allergic reaction to it a couple of years ago and my doctor told me that it's not uncommon for people with sensitive skin to have problems with it.

It really is a bummer to have sensitive skin. Take a big hat, and be SURE to wear lip sunscreen all the time!

Body Glide is the anti-chafe stick. Many sporting goods stores have it now - I buy mine at Sports Authority.

I bought Gold Bond Friction Defense at Publix. For me it worked as well as Body Glide, and it's considerably less expensive.

I found this to be skin-saving, and so did my DIL:

http://www.amazon.com/Dermalogica-After-Sun-Repair-3-4/dp/B000PKYC2W

I burn instantly and badly. I use spf Neutragena 100+ sunscreen, and wear a wide-brimmed sun hat. The Dermalogica After Sun Repair is an absolute must in my suitcase, just in case. Come in after being out all day, a little all over my face (or wherever) after washing, and I look "glowy" by dinnertime. Stuff is magical.

Edited by pcur

Another suggestion. My elderly father moved here from CO (VERY harsh weather in the winter) in January 2009. He had really bad eczema on his bald head and arms. I started him on Gold Bond Ultimate lotion, which I also use, and his skin has been really nice ever since.

I mix it with my fragranced lotion and my Neutragena spf 100+ to put on my hands, arms, and legs/feet.

• 2 weeks later...

I second the suggestion about going to the dermatologist.

When I started having skin problems shortly after turning 40, I messed around for two years trying this and that lotion or cream -- some expensive, others cheap -- and they all worked for two weeks, then they quit. Finally I went to the dermatologist, and within weeks he had me fixed up:

- I now use a moderately-priced, over-the counter brand of cleaner that is perfect for my combination of Roseacea and Exema. It's VaniCream, but it might or might not be right for you.

- I am very liberal with the moisturizer at all times, but I slather it on more heavily when I'm at the beach or on a cruise.

- VaniCream makes sunscreen too, but it's more expensive than the name-brand stuff like CopperTone or Hawaiian Tropic, so I use it only on my face.

- No matter what, no alcohol product can ever, ever, ever touch my face.

- I have to use the moderate friction of a washcloth on my face once a day -- but never any product that includes any type of scrubby-grit.