Seattle expensive hotel vs excursions on ship

Sandi07054

i am going on princess cruise to Alaska next June out of Seattle. I was originally thinking of staying 2 nights precruise.

All the hotels near downtown are $300 and up and most plus tax and fees. Im thinking now of staying one night in Seattle and ubering downtown instead of staying downtown. I think I would rather use the extra money for excursions on the ship.

Do you think it is easy enough to Uber?? Some of the hotels I looked at are 6-8 miles away from downtown

Thanks for your help!!

i am going on princess cruise to Alaska next June out of Seattle. I was originally thinking of staying 2 nights precruise.

All the hotels near downtown are $300 and up and most plus tax and fees. Im thinking now of staying one night in Seattle and ubering downtown instead of staying downtown. I think I would rather use the extra money for excursions on the ship.

Do you think it is easy enough to Uber?? Some of the hotels I looked at are 6-8 miles away from downtown

Thanks for your help!!

I love Uber in Seattle, super easy and tons of cars. I like staying in Bellevue, great hotel options and easy to get into Seattle with the Uber. A lot of the hotels in Bellevue will have the included breakfast as well (Hampton Inn, Embassy Suites etc)

All the major chains are out by the airport, plus sme smaller chains and the lovely Cedarbrook Lodge. Most SeaTac hotels provide free shuttles to/from the airport. .....have the shuttle drop you off then ride the Light Rail to downtown, 40 minutes, $3 to Westlake Center .

From Westlake you can pick up the monorail to the Seattle center /space needle, or, walk 3 blocks to Pike Place Market.

You might also look at hotels nr the Seattle center as they aren't quite as expensive as downtown.

We are cruising out of Seattle in Aug 2018, and we live near Seattle but was looking to do a day before so we don't feel rushed. Some Seattle Center hotels are about $200 a night (holiday inn-avg, pan pacific-nice) if you look at Priceline and those websites. It would put you close to the space needle, EMP, and closest to Pier 91. Seatac is ok but I would choose carefully where to stay there. Some of the hotels are not in the best areas (don't go super cheap in Seatac lol). There are a TON of Uber and Lyft drivers in Seattle/Seatac area so you will have no problem at all getting around if you take that route.

If you're there for two days, consider buying an ORCA transit card ($5) per person and loading some money on it. Bus rides are usually $2.75, Link light rail is I think $3, but if you use an ORCA card, transfers are effectively free (so if you start on a bus then hop on Link, you pay $2.75 plus $0.25 so $3 total). Used as a system, you can get pretty much everywhere as a tourist, rarely with more than two "legs" to any given travel.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm going to look into a hotel in Bellevue. I see there is a Marriott there

Bellevue's a bit far from downtown Seattle--do a google maps directions search to see the distance.....you have to get on a highway or two and I suspect any hotel savings will certainly be eaten up by Uber costs. I can tell you Uber is great in the downtown Seattle area. I spent a week there in summer 2015.

Bellevue's a bit far from downtown Seattle--do a google maps directions search to see the distance.....you have to get on a highway or two and I suspect any hotel savings will certainly be eaten up by Uber costs. I can tell you Uber is great in the downtown Seattle area. I spent a week there in summer 2015.

A bit far? 20 minutes from downtown Bellevue to downtown Seattle over completely different routes (via I-90, a free trip, or via 520, a toll bridge), and three more alternate routes that are longer (via 405/I-5 to the south, via 405/I-5 to the north, or 405 north to 522 west to I-5).

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm going to look into a hotel in Bellevue. I see there is a Marriott there

I love the Hampton Inn Seattle Bellevue Downtown.... you can walk to Trader Joes and Whole Foods for snacks and wine and, the Bellevue Centre with lots of restaurants is really close. We Ubered into Seattle in 20 minutes and I thought that was great. Check out Ride the Ducks City Tour... so fun! LOL!:')

We are booked at the Moore Hotel for a few nights post-cruise this September. Couple of blocks from Pikes Place Market and paying $129/nt for a room with a private bath. Historic hotel that has great reviews on TripAdvisor.....

I love the Hampton Inn Seattle Bellevue Downtown.... you can walk to Trader Joes and Whole Foods for snacks and wine and, the Bellevue Centre with lots of restaurants is really close. We Ubered into Seattle in 20 minutes and I thought that was great. Check out Ride the Ducks City Tour... so fun! LOL!:')

I think the Ride the Ducks tours are struggling, and don't expect a warm reception from the locals if you do go on it. They had a fatal accident maybe two years ago, after a known mechanical issue crippled the steering of a Duck vehicle. Really caused a mess and the locals don't think they've "done right" to make up for it.

I think the Ride the Ducks tours are struggling, and don't expect a warm reception from the locals if you do go on it. They had a fatal accident maybe two years ago, after a known mechanical issue crippled the steering of a Duck vehicle. Really caused a mess and the locals don't think they've "done right" to make up for it.

I knew about the inciden prior to going, we met 2 ladies in line who getting on the Emerald the next day from Florida who take a Ride the Ducks tour in every city they can. Too bad it hasn't turned out better. We had a great time a few weeks ago on them.

I started looking for one night pre-cruise (August 5-6) in February, and the hotels were so pricey in Seattle! I gave up and booked for $250-ish, then decided it would be simpler to just get a hotel by the airport and take the train in for the day, then figure out how to get to the dock Sunday morning. Saved $$ since we have four rooms!

We are booked at the Moore Hotel for a few nights post-cruise this September. Couple of blocks from Pikes Place Market and paying $129/nt for a room with a private bath. Historic hotel that has great reviews on TripAdvisor.....

I enjoy the Moore if I need to stay downtown, enough nights there over the years that they recognize me (and not just from the photos at the post office). Probably a little too quirky (not Holiday Inn) for some. Perfect location for a downtown hotel, just on the border of Belltown and downtown, all walkable. The basement had a saltwater (complements of Puget Sound) swimming pool where my mom's college classmate learned to swim. Some old photos in the lobby but it was filled with crap last time I was there. They have a couple of suites and kitchenettes that'll save you a pile if you stay downtown for a couple of days.

There is no "s" in Pike Place Market.