I missed the ship last week! Allure, at first port... what to expect...

klfhngr

I'm guessing from your questions you haven't been on many cruises. Passengers missing the ship is really quite rare. RCI's process/procedure (and that of all cruise lines) is:

1. Make it known that they leave as close as possible to the advertised time. They will always try to hold the ship if missing passengers are on an excursion purchased through the cruise line, but independent passengers are responsible for getting themselves back to the ship.

2. Start calling for missing passengers after the all-aboard time.

3. Wait as long as possible.

4. Leave when directed to by the port authority or when it becomes unreasonable (from a cost or schedule perspective) to continue to wait.

5. All aboard times are published and announced. I've heard many captains tell passengers to make sure they have a camera to take a picture of the back of their departing ship if they are late returning in a port.

I can remember waiting a L-O-N-G time for some passengers in Cozumel a couple years ago. We were watching from a balcony, and there was a lot of back and forth between the Bridge and Security via walkie-talkies. Finally, a good 90 minutes after our scheduled departure, the missing drunks came staggering down the pier. They boarded, and the gangway was barely pulled in and we were off.

We spoke to the captain the next day during a bridge tour. He was most displeased, and shared with us how much the late arrivals cost the ship in fuel to get us back to Galveston on time. He also said the passengers were given "alternate accommodations" until they had sobered up enough to discuss things with the captain!:eek:

Fine. But I think Rusty Nut was asking about is procedures for when passengers actually miss the ship. It seems that is just a local port agent who tries to help out however he or she is able or willing. I agree with Rusty; that is not good enough. I expect more from both the cruise lines and the ports who benefit from this multi-billion dollar business.

I joined CC years ago to get information about cruises, meet other passengers and talk with others that enjoy cruising...that being said...I'm amazed at the lack of compassion, the nasty comments, the browbeating, etc! If you don't like what someone is talking about, instead of being rude...just go to the next post...

Klfhanger started this post to tell us what happens when you miss a ship...because of the nasty comments, it has taken him twice as long to complete it...

Come on...let's all start playing nice, and wait for him to complete his post, and go on with our lives!

(I'm sure I'll get plenty of nasty comments, for writing this...I expect nothing less!)

I'm ignoring the ignorant(s)...

I'm stopped at security in FTL, they go thru my packbacks. Again, the wallets, phones, etc. I did a quick explanation and no more questions from them. But, there was a bottle of water, suntan lotion and something else that they had to confiscate. I was slightly concerned that these items made it thru the Bahamas, what it others attempt this? Anyhow, I'm on my way to Jamaica!

In flight, I met a nice gentleman that used to live in Jamaica. He asked my purpose of visiting, and I explain the story to him. BTW, by this time I spoke to my family at the Melia, and my friend decided to rent a van and pick me up at MoBay. I said, no, it's ok, I'll get a cab. I don't want you guys driving in Jamaica (I've been there before). He insisted in getting me.. ok. Anyhow, the gentleman on the plane says, I'm going thru Fallmoth, I can have my driver drop you off! I explain that I already have transportation, and he strongly suggests against my friend driving.. I thank him and we leave the plane.

Jamaican immigration/customs is terrible, but I eventually got out... I step out, and I hear my name being called.......

Speaking only for myself, I'm finding the OP's tale to be rather informative. As well, I've learned a few useful things from other's replies.

Of course, I've also been reminded how some people's worldview differs so much from my own. The OP is not my employee. I have no right to demand he write his experiences to my schedule or expectations. He'll get to the end when he gets there.

The whole "delayed instant gratification" response reminds me of people who get upset because the drive-thru at Starbucks too 90 seconds longer than it should have.

Sorry for the interruption.. OP, post away when you feel like it!

Seriously !!

So if you have no mortgage you would not insure your house:eek::eek:

So it gets burnt down and mmmmmm how do you pay for all the damage.

I didn't say I wouldn't have it. I was simply disagreeing with the incorrect statement that it is "mandatory".

Edited by time4u2go

We never take our passport on shore.What we did was made a copy of the passport and on the back we have an emergency number for a contact and all a list of all of our Meds[we are senior citizen]

We take photocopies when in port as well, but wondered if it came to it, could we fly to the next port with just the photocopies or would we need new passports issued?

It was my wife, two boys and my friend (not the one that didn't show up, lol)! Wow, I'm finally here! In no way am I comparing myself to a POW or a soldier returning from war, but wow, I can totally understand how they feel when they come 'home'. My youngest son comes up to me, I'm so sorry dad, I really am. I didn't know I had to be there at 330. Over and over, sorry. I tell him no need to worry, I'm here now. Hugs all the way around, a quick beer and we're on our way to the rest of the group (at a beach).

We discuss the ordeal, on the ship and off the ship.... Now I start thinking, I'm going to see the person that made me miss the ship! What am I going to say, what am I going to do?!

We get to the beach, he comes straight to me, hugs me and apologizes over and over. What can I do, what can I say? I didn't say it was ok, but just nodded my head. I was just glad to be back!

I told the group that I wanted to head back to the ship early, JUST IN CASE I RUN INTO ANY ISSUES.....

Get to the ship, we had a drink at the port and decide to get on the ship! Wife goes thru, my two boys then me. 'ERRRRRRRR' sounds the alarm! I cant believe it.. they try again, 'ERRRR"! Sorry sir, we cant let you board! 'What do you mean you cant let me board'?! 'You're not longer on the ship'! 'I know, but I am now'! 'Sorry sir, you have to go to Jamaican Customs'! 'OMG, no! I already did that when I landed via air in MoBay, I don't get it! Please, can I just get on'? NO!

I tell my family, get on the ship, I'll be back shortly. NO, NO, NO they all say, not this again dad'! I say, I'm going to be ok, I'll be back'!

Good thing that Customs is right there by the ship. I go to Customs, they ask for paperwork. They asked for copies of flight info., pp, etc. I explained to the official that I already landed at MoBay and went thru Customs. I had to explain my story and he finally says ok, go thru.

When I was not allowed to enter the ship the first time, security contacted a gentleman on the ship. He also said to go to customs and we'll take care of this.

So, once I was cleared, I head to the ship. On the way there, a worker comes up to me and says 'are you so and so? Yes. He says, my pleasure meeting you. I talked to you earlier, but have also been working on your case since you missed the boat'! 'you should have no more problems'! I thank him, he enters the ship thru the employees entrance and I head to main entrance.

I enter, and 'ERRRRRRRRRR', alarm goes off! Security again says NO. Another one says YES, other NO! OMG, Please let me get on! The one that I'm standing by is the one saying no, the one at the other station is saying yes! I explain to them that I just spoke to someone outside of the ship and he clarified that I'm cleared. After a minute or two, they FINALLY say get on!

I go thru and head straight to a hiding place, the pub! I call my wife and tell her that I'm on! YEA!!!!!!!!! I'm waiting to hear for any announcements with my name. I hear none, so I head up to the room!

*It would be so much easier for me to recap, w/o the details. But something that I might not deem as being important my be for someone else! Flamers, seriously, just go! I am not asking for you to stick around, I'm not dragging this our for my self gratification. Just trying the help others out.

Cabin steward welcomes me back, she's happy to see me. She told my wife the day before that she would never forgive my friend, lol!

She gives me a new key, ship is moving and I'm good!

I head to Guest Services. They give me another key, welcome me back. We had over $300 in OBC, but there was some confusion as to where it all went.

When I missed the ship, my account was CLOSED! All of my records were wiped out, the only thing that displayed was a credit into my wife's account, that was it. So the credit that I had left was called 'bad credit' and then rolled into my wife's account as 'credit'. It was confusing but at the time seemed to make sense.

During the remaining days, I occasionally ran into issues with my card. In some locations, I didn't exist! They would have to 'freeform' a receipt and have my sign. Not sure why, but this occurred a few times.

1- Always have a passport when you leave your country

2- Always make sure your passport has 6 months duration left on it

3- Always make copies of all passports for all your traveling companions

4- Always make multiple copies so all in your party have a copy

5- Place copies in ziploc bags and make sure everyone in your party has these

6- Make sure you take these copies with you when you leave the ship, always! Regardless if the cruise is closed looped or not.

9- For the tech savvy, take a photo of your passport ID page, on your iPhone or electronic device or even camera.

We always take passports, but this is a little overkill....................:rolleyes:

Lessons Learned:

1) Meet at an agreed upon time at the agreed upon location, no matter what.

2) If no one arrives, go to the ship. This one is one that I'm not 100% certain with. In hind sight, yes, but again, what if child is left behind on their own?!

3) Carry a phone AND A CHARGER! BTW, the charger I bought in Bahamas did NOT work! $20 down the drain.

4) Know how to use your phone while in port! How to dial out, area code, etc.!

5) Not sure about this one, but maybe one piece of clean clothing. I'm glad I had the shirt, but this is some thing that can be purchased.

6) Which leads to this: CASH, and maybe more than you would like to bring to port! And a Credit Card!

7) Passport, PASSPORT, PASSPORT! No more birth certificate and license! What if the embassy is on the other side of the island or COUNTRY?! then what?!

8) Book with a REPUTABLE T/A TO HELP YOU and that will work for you!

9) If assistance is given to you, FOLLOW IT! don't second question it, or decide to go on your own! As Alfred said, this happens, more often than you think! So they know what they are telling you!

10) If carrying others items, make sure you know what you are carrying! something I never ever thought of! My friend scuba's, and I had his backpack, what if his knife was in there!

11) Throw away liquids if your going to fly, Yes common knowledge, but not something you think about.

12) Know exactly what to say when inside the Embassy! They do NOT MESS AROUND!

13) Internet! Stay at a place that has the internet or wifi, it will become your best friend and even keep you sane!

14) Don't assume when they say 'meet the ship at the next port' that you'll just be able to walk on! Make the calls, have TA call and GET TO THE SHIP EARLY if you missed it at the previous port! Do you think the ship would've waited for me in Jamaica if I showed up a few minutes before cruising? NO WAY!

Lessons Learned:

1) Meet at an agreed upon time at the agreed upon location, no matter what.

To add something to this...pick an exact location, and when it's time to meet, go to that exact location and STAY THERE. Don't look at the location from afar, and say "oh the people we're meeting aren't there yet". They might be doing the same thing at the same time, thinking you're not there, when in fact you are BOTH "there".

• Like 1

Have really enjoyed this thread! Luckily, stumbled upon it only this morning...DH normally only "tolerates" my reading posts to him; this thread had us both fascinated. I was able to catch us up, then got the end of the story the past couple of hours when OP came back to wrap it up - I'd call out "here's another episode" and we were off!

Don't know if I could have stood the suspense had I started reading a few days ago :D

Also noted a few tips, even though we are normally pretty careful, there were things we'd not thought of.

Great writing style, OP!!

Mary