Venice

Decatur Bob

Venice is very walkable if you have good legs and good shoes. When you get tired, stop in a little cafe and have a snack. But give the vaporetto a try. It will not be as rough as you might fear, and if it does bother her, just get off at the next stop and walk. EM

You can take the People Mover from the ship to the area of the train station. It is an overhead, automated train. As I recall it was 1 Euro for the short trip. From there, you can walk to San Marco Plaza. You will find on many of the buildings there are signs pointing the way. They may read "P. San Marco". Coming back, you follow the signs to P"P. Roma". From there you can take the People Mover to the ship

It can be choppy on the canals and the vaporetto swerve and shudder to halts.

The alilaguna line go from the port to P.St.Marks and they are much quicker. Barely time to feel ill.

The walk is quite long and you need to follow the crowds. Venice is a labyrinth nearer the square and I would advise a good map. Mine is always in my pocket even now.

Unhappy memories of three hour 'strolls'. We certainly saw the hidden Venice but we had no ship to catch! Ooh my feet that day in the heat!

Heat also has to be considered as well as the billion bridges.

The reality is that you can get anywhere on the island of Venice (from the cruise port) by walking (you can also use the People Mover to get to the P. Roma). Of course you are not going to be able to go to any of the other islands in the Lagoon (Murano, Lido, Burano, etc). DW and I have walked miles in Venice (day and night) and enjoyed every moment (not sure our feet agreed). But the vaporettos sure help and make moving around much more efficient.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

Where from?

You have to walk. Perhaps not far as there are many gondolier pick up places.

From the terminal you take the allilaguna boat to P. St Marks where the majority of gondoliers are. They are also the busiest. There are a few behind the Basilique and a lot near Planet Hollywood.

Walking and Venice are synonymous I am afraid.

I walked from the cruise ship pier when my cruise docked in Venice. I skipped the people mover and went by foot the whole way. At a fairly leisurely pace, it took me about an hour to get to St. Mark's. I didn't mess with a map or anything ... as others have said, you just follow signs through the warren that is Venice (some signs at intersection point each direction). Doing this walk a few times, I felt I saw much more of Venice than if I had just been dropped off in the busiest part like most other passengers.

Agree with mirbihan's post. Seeing Venice is all about walking. One can certainly ride around the canals in a boat and glance at the city, but to enjoy the charms and architecture one must walk both the popular areas and back streets. For those with major mobility challenges (such as needing a wheelchair or scooter) Venice is one of the least friendly places in the tourist world. For those that are simply too lazy to walk....well they are well advised to get out and walk before their trip to build-up their endurance :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner