Inside cabins/Observation Deck/Noordam

lukydog

Am currently booked for an Alaskan cruise on the Noordam next June, staying in cabin 5073 on deck 5 and thinking of switching to inside on Observation Deck. The balcony cabin we are booked in now has the smaller balcony and the lifeboats sticking out directly below. I am second guessing myself that I will not like this set up. Are the balconies too small (we usually sail Carnival..would it be comparable to a regular Carnival balcony size?) Are the lifeboats jutting out below bothersome to your view or just plain enjoyment of the balcony? The insides on the observation deck would be very convenient to the Crow's Nest and just stepping outside onto the Observation Deck...also handy to Lido Deck (and we would save roughly $1580). There are 8 of these K category insides and none have been booked yet. Has anyone had one of these cabins? Wondering if there is something unfavorable about them since none are booked yet?

We have sailed in Veranda Cabins on Deck 5 with the life boats just below us on the Westerdam and the Eurodam and had no issue. The only view blocked is seeing where the hull hits the water. We enjoy the view and the fresh air too much to ever sail in an inside cabin, but you might be just fine with going to the observation deck.

We have sailed in Veranda Cabins on Deck 5 with the life boats just below us on the Westerdam and the Eurodam and had no issue. The only view blocked is seeing where the hull hits the water. We enjoy the view and the fresh air too much to ever sail in an inside cabin, but you might be just fine with going to the observation deck.

I'm glad to hear that! You're putting my mind at ease. Did you find the balcony cramped at all? If there is room for 2 chairs , a little side table and room to stretch out a bit, that would comparable to what we're used to on Carnival.

I have no idea how big Carnival's balconies are, but HAL's deck 5 center ones are 52 inches by 9 feet. Two chairs, footstool, small table. DB/DSiL liked Nieuw Amsterdam 5122 just fine! Google /5122-nieuw-amsterdam/ for pictures. The footstool doesn't show, but it was there.

Edited by jtl513

My husband and just spent 26 days in an inside cabin on the Observation Deck near the Crow's Nest. We were on the Zuiderdam but I understand the configuration is the same. We loved it and have booked the same cabin on the Noordam for a July Alaska cruise - 10016.

The room is large. There is no love seat but you have a table and extra chair plus the chair from the desk if you want to eat at the table. This actually opens up the room and several people that came to look at the room said it was "huge". Loved the convenience to an outside door at the end of a short corridor and the convenience to the Crows Nest, especially in the morning as I am an early riser.

Never heard any noise from the Crows Nest or elevators.

Hope that helps.

My 2 cents is that $1580 buys a lot of shore excursions and other specialties, so for me I'd go with the inside, but I've done a lot of insides and it works for me. For Alaska you want to wander the outside decks when you can and the rest of the time you'll be wandering on shore.

My biggest issue is to have a couch... someplace where we can sit and DH can stretch out. Some people like suites, some people like to use that extra money in other ways. And beside, as time gets closer you might snag a good upsell which is what just happened to us going from a K to a balcony (VA guarantee, got a VB for $85pp about a month out. Not saying that would happen to you but it may, repeat, may be worth considering if you think that you could have a good cruise in the K.

Either way, a cruise to Alaska is something to look forward to! Enjoy, m--

• Like 1

SciTech, did you feel much motion with the forward inside? Hubby and I are not really bothered by motion but we have another couple going that have never cruised before & don't know if it would bother them. I'm just really torn between keeping the balcony or being close to the Crow's Nest and steps away from an outside observation deck. I believe there are a few balconies still open on the observation deck (port side and we are going Northbound) so if we could move there without paying extra that could be another option.

SciTech, did you feel much motion with the forward inside? Hubby and I are not really bothered by motion but we have another couple going that have never cruised before & don't know if it would bother them. I'm just really torn between keeping the balcony or being close to the Crow's Nest and steps away from an outside observation deck. I believe there are a few balconies still open on the observation deck (port side and we are going Northbound) so if we could move there without paying extra that could be another option.

No, we did not feel more motion than usual. We did have 2 rough days where people were feeling ill and the ginger was set out. Obviously there was motion, but no more than on other cruises where we were on lower decks mid-ship.

There are balcony rooms on the Observation deck. Balconies are a bit smaller than on other decks, but otherwise, the same configuration.

I dont think there's a bad decision. Only you can decide what's best for you, but here are the points I would consider.

-My DH dislikes inside cabins because there isnt natural light. He'll even prefer an obstructed view outside (no balcony) just to get some light coming in and get a glimpse at the outside. That's not as important to me...part of me even likes how dark an inside can get when I sleep. So if you havent stayed in an inside before, consider how you might feel about that. It can also go to show you just how personal some of the cabin choice decisions are. In general, if we take an annual vacation budget, my preference would be to sail more often in an inside, my husbands would be to go less often in a Neptune Suite. Just different points of view to consider.

-The balcony will be big enough to enjoy, dont worry about that. There is room for two regular side chairs and a table, room to stand and move around - so dont base your decision on thinking your balcony is too small.

-Yes, those insides near the observation deck are in a convenient location. However, the observation deck when you're outside you will see that the seating isn't near the railiing, and there is a lot of plexiglass and stuff around. You will be outside, but it wont feel as close to nature as being on your own balcony at the railing. Of course you can walk anywhere you want and find a good spot.

-In general the higher and more forward you go, the more you feel movement. Some people swear by this, IMHO I dont see that much of a difference.

-Compared to Carnival, the ship will be smaller, so if you're thinking of a location that is closer to something, keep in mind you wont be as far as you might think....a few minutes walk maybe. If you have mobility challenges I could see it being a major consideration. If you dont, I dont think it would be that much more convenient or inconvenient.

-The price differential is significant to make a difference. Without knowing your budget, I'd think about what you could do with that $1500 savings if you moved inside. Would that be excursions, a bar bill, spa bill...something that you wouldn't otherwise have if you spent it on the balcony? I'd weigh that in too. For example, an inside with some awesome excursions might trump the balcony and no excurisions if you spent your whole budget on the balcony.

So, in my opinion, there's no right or wrong, just what is the best decision for you. Hope that helps!

Edited by WeLoveCruising

I dont think there's a bad decision. Only you can decide what's best for you, but here are the points I would consider.

-My DH dislikes inside cabins because there isnt natural light. He'll even prefer an obstructed view outside (no balcony) just to get some light coming in and get a glimpse at the outside. That's not as important to me...part of me even likes how dark an inside can get when I sleep. So if you havent stayed in an inside before, consider how you might feel about that. It can also go to show you just how personal some of the cabin choice decisions are. In general, if we take an annual vacation budget, my preference would be to sail more often in an inside, my husbands would be to go less often in a Neptune Suite. Just different points of view to consider.

-The balcony will be big enough to enjoy, dont worry about that. There is room for two regular side chairs and a table, room to stand and move around - so dont base your decision on thinking your balcony is too small.

-Yes, those insides near the observation deck are in a convenient location. However, the observation deck when you're outside you will see that the seating isn't near the railiing, and there is a lot of plexiglass and stuff around. You will be outside, but it wont feel as close to nature as being on your own balcony at the railing. Of course you can walk anywhere you want and find a good spot.

-In general the higher and more forward you go, the more you feel movement. Some people swear by this, IMHO I dont see that much of a difference.

-Compared to Carnival, the ship will be smaller, so if you're thinking of a location that is closer to something, keep in mind you wont be as far as you might think....a few minutes walk maybe. If you have mobility challenges I could see it being a major consideration. If you dont, I dont think it would be that much more convenient or inconvenient.

-The price differential is significant to make a difference. Without knowing your budget, I'd think about what you could do with that $1500 savings if you moved inside. Would that be excursions, a bar bill, spa bill...something that you wouldn't otherwise have if you spent it on the balcony? I'd weigh that in too. For example, an inside with some awesome excursions might trump the balcony and no excurisions if you spent your whole budget on the balcony.

So, in my opinion, there's no right or wrong, just what is the best decision for you. Hope that helps!

We were on the 26 day cruise with Sciteach and stayed in 10026 which is the last balcony.FWIW inside cabins 10024 and 10021 each have one window looking astern out over the covered Lido pool.

• 2 weeks later...
We were on the 26 day cruise with Sciteach and stayed in 10026 which is the last balcony.FWIW inside cabins 10024 and 10021 each have one window looking astern out over the covered Lido pool.

johnmik1 - RE: the hallway btw 10026 and 10024 on the Zuiderdam - can you walk outside on the observation deck, toward the Lido, from there? We just booked 10024 on the Zuiderdam for a Feb cruise. Good news that it has a window!

johnmik1 - RE: the hallway btw 10026 and 10024 on the Zuiderdam - can you walk outside on the observation deck, toward the Lido, from there? We just booked 10024 on the Zuiderdam for a Feb cruise. Good news that it has a window!

You can,The door is right outside the cabins.You can either go to the midship stairs or elevator and go down one deck or walk all the way to the aft and walk down.

We had cabin #10012 on the Noordam for an Alaskan cruise this summer. We have always had a balcony room but decided to save some money this time.

Pros:

- The location was great, being near the Crows nest was perfect as we enjoy spending time there, it was especially great for cruising through Alaska and getting a early morning space for whale watching. We would go to the lido and bring our breakfast up to the crows nest.

- We did not feel any extra movement having our room here, mind you there were not many rough days in general.

- We never heard noise from anyone or the elevators or doors.

- Save a lot of money over the balcony room

- We were close to a door to outside to get fresh air or watch the beautiful scenery

- The room did not seem cramped at all, we had the beds in the queen configuration

Cons:

- There was no couch in the room

- The table is very small

- Obviously no view from the room

This room was well worth it for us. If we were going to a warmer climate for a longer cruise we would probably get the balcony.

• Like 1

Thanks silly44 and johnmik1. Your answers are just what I was hoping to hear!

One caution about the window in the cabin.Our neighbor who had that cabin said that people were always putting their face against the window attempting to look in,probably not realizing it was someones cabin.When I walked by it appeared to be darkened but I didn't try looking in.Just a heads up to close the curtain when you need some privacy.Enjoy the cabin!

• 1 month later...

We are considering booking a deck 10 inside for a Panama Canal March sailing. We usually go with balcony cabins but could save a lot of $$ by moving inside. I am wondering if there are any lounge chairs directly outside the doors from the deck 10 rooms? We like to sit out at night and watch the world sailing by :)

We are considering booking a deck 10 inside for a Panama Canal March sailing. We usually go with balcony cabins but could save a lot of $$ by moving inside. I am wondering if there are any lounge chairs directly outside the doors from the deck 10 rooms? We like to sit out at night and watch the world sailing by :)

When we were in Alaska last summer there weren't any directly outside the door from the cabins but if you walked just past where the deck plan shows club HAL there were lounge chairs there.

• 1 year later...

Just booked an inside on the observation deck for a 2018 cruise. The virtual tour on Holland's site now seems to have a build in sofa in the K category on the observation deck. Has anybody stayed in this cabin recently? Would appreciate you feedback and experience. My thinking is that I would have easy access the outside deck and crows nest as this is a Panama Cruise. I am usually not bothered by motion (unless I hang upside over the bed to retrieve something from my suitcase while crossing the Tasman Sea:() Or should I consider moving to an inside the Main deck for easy access to the Promenade for access to outside for viewing? I

Just booked an inside on the observation deck for a 2018 cruise. The virtual tour on Holland's site now seems to have a build in sofa in the K category on the observation deck. Has anybody stayed in this cabin recently? Would appreciate you feedback and experience. My thinking is that I would have easy access the outside deck and crows nest as this is a Panama Cruise. . . .

On our last two cruises, we have had cabin 10043 or 10044 (IQ category) on different HAL ships. In May we're booked in 10044 to AK. We love the location! There is a window in each although they are considered inside cabins. Not much of a view, but there is light. It was great for the Panama Canal in Feb 2016. You walk outside and you're on the panorama deck (I think on some ships it's called Observation Deck) with access to both sides of the ship at once. However the rooms are smaller than other inside cabins and there is no couch, there wouldn't be room for it. There is plenty of storage in closets and cupboards. The Crow's Nest and Explorations Cafe are a quick walk away. You can see which ships we were on in my signature.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Guest debbiejohncruise
My husband and just spent 26 days in an inside cabin on the Observation Deck near the Crow's Nest. We were on the Zuiderdam but I understand the configuration is the same. We loved it and have booked the same cabin on the Noordam for a July Alaska cruise - 10016.

The room is large. There is no love seat but you have a table and extra chair plus the chair from the desk if you want to eat at the table. This actually opens up the room and several people that came to look at the room said it was "huge". Loved the convenience to an outside door at the end of a short corridor and the convenience to the Crows Nest, especially in the morning as I am an early riser.

Never heard any noise from the Crows Nest or elevators.

Hope that helps.

We are going on the Zuiderdam and have booked 10016 and glad to read your review. We usually book balcony or oceanview but balcony was too expensive and oceanview was only by guarantee and don't want to risk 35 days at sea in a room with noise above or below us. Were you able to put your suitcases under your bed with those drawers under there? Would appreciate any other info you have. Thanks. Deb

We are going on the Zuiderdam and have booked 10016 and glad to read your review. We usually book balcony or oceanview but balcony was too expensive and oceanview was only by guarantee and don't want to risk 35 days at sea in a room with noise above or below us. Were you able to put your suitcases under your bed with those drawers under there? Would appreciate any other info you have. Thanks. Deb

Hi Deb!

SciTeach's messages are almost three years old and they may not be following the thread anymore. However -- Thanks for resurrecting this thread because it gave me something new to think about for OUR 16-day Transatlantic next April!

As far as the drawers -- they were there on our recent Alaska cruise on the Zaandam (that's where the pool-towels were), and our suitcases fit toward the head of the bed from the drawers.