Open Space on Noordam Front Decks ?

on the floor plans, I see what looks like an open deck forward of passenger cabins on I think 5,6 and 7. Is that accessible to passengers? There was also a large space in the back of Deck 1....what is that space that has odd shapes covering it on the plan?

on the floor plans, I see what looks like an open deck forward of passenger cabins on I think 5,6 and 7. Is that accessible to passengers?
Those are usually officially open only during slow-speed "scenic cruising" such as AK Glacier Bay, Panama Canal, sometimes sail-aways, etc, but people have been known to ignore the "crew only" sign on the door and sneak out at other times.
There was also a large space in the back of Deck 1....what is that space that has odd shapes covering it on the plan?
Those funny symbols denote anchor chains and mooring line winches etc. That space is always crew only. Edited by jtl513

on the floor plans, I see what looks like an open deck forward of passenger cabins on I think 5,6 and 7. Is that accessible to passengers? There was also a large space in the back of Deck 1....what is that space that has odd shapes covering it on the plan?

The area at the aft end of deck 1 is the after mooring station. I don't know whether the forward ends of those decks are open to pax.

The area at the aft end of deck 1 is the after mooring station. I don't know whether the forward ends of those decks are open to pax.

often if there is s'scenic' sailing,, such as Tracy Arrm in Alaska, Panama canal, Sagueny Fjord, St. Lawrence Riv er, HAL captains will permit guests to go forward to bow area a nd at the ship;'s bell.It is a crew only area to pass through to get there but it is very easy and if I rec all c orfectly, through the OB.:)

Edited by sail7seas

The area at the aft end of deck 1 is the after mooring station.

A few years ago we scattered a friend's ashes - I think it was on the Nieuw Amsterdam - and it took place from that mooring area on deck 1.

Those open decks forward of passenger cabins are accessible to passengers. I've never seen them marked as crew only. Just note that the deck is sometimes only accessible on one side so know which side before you go there. It's my favourite spot for scenic cruising. Less crowded than the bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Those open decks forward of passenger cabins are accessible to passengers. I've never seen them marked as crew only. Just note that the deck is sometimes only accessible on one side so know which side before you go there. It's my favourite spot for scenic cruising. Less crowded than the bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This has been my experience as well. My favorite spot to be as we enter or leave a port, but if it is very windy, be prepared!

The doors leading to that area on the decks below the Bridge may be locked at night. I discovered that once in trying to get to a totally dark area of the ship for some sky gazing.