Riviera high-speed wi-fi

cruisedoctor

When I heard that we get free internet I was excited, because that meant I could Skype my mom daily in her nursing home. Doesn't sound like this will be possible unless I skype her at 3 in the morning when it isn't busy----but we know that isn't going to happen. Disappointing!

Perhaps the saddest post which i've had occasion to read on Cruise Critic.

-and the most telling about the shortcomings of our society.

Be kinda hard at this point to put the genie back in the bottle. I still do not think it would be that hard for them to get it right. People are now expecting free wi fi.

Just stop including it. The marketing department can come up with new angles.

It seems to me it is.

We do not expect wifi service for free. I do expect a reasonable price though that seems to not be in anyones marketing plan.

Just stop including it. The marketing department can come up with new angles.

It seems to me it is.

We do not expect wifi service for free. I do expect a reasonable price though that seems to not be in anyones marketing plan.

Oceania can do anything they decide to do (more or less) - as long as it makes sense to THEM. And so can the customers for that matter.

They came up with O Life, then O Life Choice, then O Life XYZ, etc - regardless what we thought of it at the time. They kept it because they thought it was good for them. Who knows what's next.

They could also make free internet a perk for certain loyalty levels (like some other cruise lines do with internet and free laundry) and have it available for pay to others.

But they will only do it if it will make sense for them - not necessarily for us. It's a business with a bottom line, board of directors and share holders.

Those that will agree with whatever the new strategy/direction might be will continue to sail with them; those that will not like the changes will move on.

If the slow internet is a deal breaker for somebody, they should choose a line with better internet.

JMO

Edited by Paulchili

Perhaps the saddest post which i've had occasion to read on Cruise Critic.

-and the most telling about the shortcomings of our society.

Nothing sad about this. Sounds like another way to keep one's loved one in the loop and happy. No shortcomings here just showing his love for his mom whenever he can. Sometimes pretty hard when away on a cruise. Takes extra effort.

Nothing sad about this. Sounds like another way to keep one's loved one in the loop and happy. No shortcomings here just showing his love for his mom whenever he can. Sometimes pretty hard when away on a cruise. Takes extra effort.

That being the case, I'll offer the heartfelt wish that your loved ones treat you with that precise level of care and compassion, when you are the Skypee, rather than the Skyper- :rolleyes:

God Help us all-

Edited by JimandStan

That being the case, I'll offer the heartfelt wish that your loved ones treat you with that precise level of care and compassion, when you are the Skypee, rather than the Skyper- :rolleyes:

God Help us all-

Do unto others..... I am sure you know the rest. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm aboard the Riviera. The internet continues to be like the old dial-up. Some people are rolling with the punches and others can't find a voice loud enough to express their frustration.

Not a pretty picture.

I'm aboard the Riviera. The internet continues to be like the old dial-up. Some people are rolling with the punches and others can't find a voice loud enough to express their frustration.

Not a pretty picture.

Their frustration not withstanding, If they are reading these boards than they should know whet to expect. It has been reported for months here that there has been no upgrading of the internet on Riviera and at times it is very slow or unusable. I agree it is not a pretty picture. :(:(:(

Currently on the Sirena (in Mexico).

I am not sure why others have so much difficulty with O's internet. I am not sure what it is that they are attempting to do or access on the internet to have so much trouble.

This cruise has "free" internet as a benefit and I am sure everyone has it. I have had NO problem at all accessing my e mails (Comcast) and frequently following AND posting on CC. Is it as fast as at home? No - but it's pretty good.

I have had no trouble reading my home town newspaper online - during all hours of the day - not just at 3 AM :D. I have followed football/basketball games live online (live play-by-play on ESPN - not video feed) without any trouble at all. Am I just that lucky?

As I have posted before - see my post #12 above - it is perfectly fine for me and I hope it never gets any worse.

Not that I would mind it if it were as fast as at home :D

Edited by Paulchili

Currently on the Sirena (in Mexico).

I am not sure why others have so much difficulty with O's internet. I am not sure what it is that they are attempting to do or access on the internet to have so much trouble.

This cruise has "free" internet as a benefit and I am sure everyone has it. I have had NO problem at all accessing my e mails (Comcast) and frequently following AND posting on CC. Is it as fast as at home? No - but it's pretty good.

I have had no trouble reading my home town newspaper online - during all hours of the day - not just at 3 AM :D. I have followed football/basketball games live online (live play-by-play on ESPN - not video feed) without any trouble at all. Am I just that lucky?

As I have posted before - see my post #12 above - it is perfectly fine for me and I hope it never gets any worse.

Not that I would mind it if it were as fast as at home :D

I think you are on the wrong thread. We are talking about Riviera internet. Too bad you do not have a clue what you are talking about.

I think you are on the wrong thread. We are talking about Riviera internet. Too bad you do not have a clue what you are talking about.

I believe that I usually have a pretty good clue as to what I am talking about and I think this is one of those times. That is not to say that I am never wrong, because sometimes I am; but I am not clueless.

Perhaps you can explain to me how exactly is Sirena's internet provider different from Riviera's.

In addition, if you had read my post more completely, you would have noticed that I referenced my post in this thread (#12)which obviously was NOT related to Sirena but Riviera (and other O ships) as this is our first cruise on Sirena.

My experience re:internet is exactly the same on this ship as on all other Oceania ships - hence I am posting my internet experience here rather than starting a new "Sirena internet" thread.

Edited by Paulchili

I'm on Riviera and it is much quicker than in the past. pretty much the way Paul described it.

I'm on Riviera and it is much quicker than in the past. pretty much the way Paul described it.

Glad to hear it. For the last 6 months every poster on Riviera including me in July complained how slow it was. Hope it stays better.