complicated....or not (port Miami to FLL hotel )

fvandewouwer

Hi,

we just have booked 2 cruises out of 2 different ports and there is a day between the 2 cruises so we need to get from the Miami port (our first cruise ) to a hotel near the FLL cruise port ( cruises number 2 which brings us back home )

so I have been checking out our best economical way to go from Miami cruise port to a hotel near the FLL cruise port. ( renting car, bus, train, taxi , uber )

it is just the 2 of us and we only have 2 suitcases and one small trolley

( we travel light :) )

taxi prices are expensive, uber I am not familiar with ( and we are from Belgium so I am not aware if we can use uber in Florida ?? )

seems to be no busses from the port of Miami to ....

have been checking out SaS as they advertise prices of 15 us pp from the port of Miami to the airport of FLL ( that seems so inexpensive ?? ) but I am not sure if they would bring us to a hotel in FLL which by the way I did not book yet.

any idea is appreciated from you all

thanks for your time

br from Belgium

Frie

( we have been cruising out of both ports and are familiar with the area we just do not know how to get from Miami to FLL inexpensively )

Yes, we have Uber in the area. Discussed here frequently.

Also discussed here frequently is the shuttles available, like SAS, QLS, and others that are based in the Miami area. Yes, they can be very inexpensive, although it seems the Miami based ones are more expensive.

The issue with shuttles seems to be limitations on where they will pickup/dropoff. The ports are not a problem, it is the hotels they can/will take you to can be limited. So that might limit what hotel you chose to stay at, or which shuttle company you might use. The websites for the various shuttles will usually tell you what hotels they transport to.

Use SAS (or QLS, MJS, Go Airport, etc.) to get from POM to FLL. $15 per person is pretty standard and the ride takes about 45+ minutes, depending upon traffic/day of the week. From there you can use a taxi/Uber/hotel shuttle to get to your hotel.

A cab straight from POM to FLL area hotels will run about $75-80+tip; Uber on the same run will be about $40+ -- IMHO that is enough savings and convenience to motivate most cruisers to figure out how to use Uber. ;)

http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info, including lists of hotels offering free airport and port shuttles. A taxi from FLL or nearby hotels to Port Everglades is only about $15.

thank you all for your replies, at this point it is clear as I looked up all this information ( also on our previous cruises )

uber I am not familiar with and I guess we have to have an account and at the time being log in for getting a taxi from uber ( please correct me if I am wrong ) Making an account is not difficult (I think ) but we never have access to the internet while on cruise s(only wifi in the hotels ) so using an app to locate Uber will not be possible

That is why I do believe we cannot use Uber.

The reason why I feel this is complicated is that I want to book an hotel near the Galleria ( or North FLL ) as we like this area but will there be shuttle services from Miami port .... should I email all these shuttle providers and give the area where we want to stay for our night before our next cruise ?

or should I stay near the airport to have a more non complex situation

or do I need to book my hotel and check out later which shuttle service we can use

some websites are complicated to understand ( perhaps it is the language issue ) but I checked out SaS and found their hotel list it seems they are all located near the FLL airport

and even it is only for one night we would love to stay near a place where we can walk and enjoy a little bit of Sunny FLL.

thanks again for your time

chilly regards

about SaS take them to where ? to the airport ? and then use a taxi

oh ok that makes sense I guess never thought of doing that

15 us from port of Miami to FLL airport is hard to believe as a taxi from FLL hotel to the port of FLL would cost 15 usd .... right ??

thanks

Use SAS (or QLS, MJS, Go Airport, etc.) to get from POM to FLL. $15 per person is pretty standard and the ride takes about 45+ minutes, depending upon traffic/day of the week. From there you can use a taxi/Uber/hotel shuttle to get to your hotel.

A cab straight from POM to FLL area hotels will run about $75-80+tip; Uber on the same run will be about $40+ -- IMHO that is enough savings and convenience to motivate most cruisers to figure out how to use Uber. ;)

http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info, including lists of hotels offering free airport and port shuttles. A taxi from FLL or nearby hotels to Port Everglades is only about $15.

I will check out Lift but again we are from Belgium so if they work the same as Uber we will have a contact problem or I should make arrangements now

thanks for the information

We did this last year one cruise out of FLL and the other out of Miami , we used Lift which Is just like uber . It could not have been easier they have a separate area of the pick up zone for these drivers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I checked out SaS and found their hotel list it seems they are all located near the FLL airport

and even it is only for one night we would love to stay near a place where we can walk and enjoy a little bit of Sunny FLL.

If you were to pick one of the hotels on 17th Street (Embassy Suites, Extended Stay, Renaissance, etc.), you would have access to many stores, including a large Publix (a grocery store), restaurants and the http://www.suntrolley.com/. For $1pp each trip or $3pp all day, you can take the trolley to the Galleria Mall, the beach or Los Olas. Check the dates/times available for each route.

about SaS take them to where ? to the airport ? and then use a taxi

oh ok that makes sense I guess never thought of doing that

15 us from port of Miami to FLL airport is hard to believe as a taxi from FLL hotel to the port of FLL would cost 15 usd .... right ??

thanks

$15 per person (plus tips, this is the USA) is pretty standard for shared shuttles - you'll be riding to FLL with 8-10 other cruisers.

Your cell phone data plan will get you onto the internet in Miami if you want to try Uber - coming from Europe data might be expensive :eek:

If you are going to stay at Gallery One, either take SAS to FLL for $30 and then taxi for about $25, or taxi all the way for about $100. It's not really complicated.

Or stay on SE 17th St and take SAS straight there. It's only a short ride to the beach and you can walk to restaurants and discount shopping (Ross and TJ Maxx).

These have already been suggested, but I just wanted to validate that these are the best options.

For your situation a rental car is going to be the most efficient, time saving and economical. Be sure you have a GPS, though, whether you bring one along, use your smart phone or add one with the rental car. I'm assuming you're talking about a Saturday to Sunday situation, so traffic will be light between MIA and your hotel in Ft Lauderdale and weekend rates for rental cars are much lower. With a rental car you can stay anywhere you like, go where you want, when you want. With a rental car you can not only visit Galleria Mall, but Sawgrass Mall, Westfield Mall and Fountains if malls are your thing. Personally, I'd rather go to the beach than a mall.

There is a free shuttle that will take you from the POM to the car rental facility at MIA if you rent from Alamo, Enterprise, National, Dollar, or Thifty. Some shuttle drivers will ask to see your car rental agreement before you board to keep the people off the shuttle that are trying to get a free ride to the airport, so make sure you have that handy. There you can pick up a car, return it in Ft Lauderdale and there will be no extra drop charge. Depending on the date, the cost should be around $50 with taxes and fees, more or less.

The only location to return for Alamo is at the FLL Airport, but there is a free shuttle from there that is shared with Enterprise and National. Enterprise also has a location just outside Port Everglades inside the Hilton Marina on 17th Street while Thrifty and Dollar has a return location on Miami Road. All three companies have a free shuttle to Port Everglades from those locations.

Let us know your date and we can help you with which hotel once you decide how you're going to get there.

Edit: I see your dates are April 22-23 which is the weekend after Easter and the tail end of high season in South Florida, so hopefully hotel rates will be a little lower. The farther your hotel is from the port, the lower the rate will be.

Edited by Lido_Deck

WoW, thanks everyone for your input

did not think of renting a car for just one day ( husband who is the driver is probably not happy with this idea but I will give it a try )

I am checking out prices for the hotels around 17th street We have stayed in the past at the Renaissance / W hotel / Hilton beach /the Grande hotel but their prices are increased a lot compared to our past cruises.

dates are april 22 till april 23th and we need a very quiet room

( "light sleepers" is our problem )

we will probably use a shuttle ( if they still are available ) as that seems to be the most easiest way

best regards from icy Belgium

we will probably use a shuttle ( if they still are available ) as that seems to be the most easiest way

Avis, Hertz and others have offices in downtown Miami, close to POM - about a $12 cab ride if they do not shuttle; they are sometime overwhelmed by cruise customers with reports of long waits sometimes popping up on this board.

National, Alamo, Thrifty and maybe Enterprise offer free shuttles between POM and their MIA airport location. If you get a good deal from someone else at MIA a taxi will run $27+tip.

Shuttles are always available - especially this far out. SAS, QLS, MJS, Go Airport and a few others are often suggested on this board.

WoW, thanks everyone for your input

did not think of renting a car for just one day ( husband who is the driver is probably not happy with this idea but I will give it a try )

I am checking out prices for the hotels around 17th street We have stayed in the past at the Renaissance / W hotel / Hilton beach /the Grande hotel but their prices are increased a lot compared to our past cruises.

dates are april 22 till april 23th and we need a very quiet room

( "light sleepers" is our problem )

best regards from icy Belgium

Shuttles are not really that simple. You have to wait, go on their schedule and it most likely will be shared with 8 or 10 other people, so it will make multiple stops taking forever to get to where you want to go. I see no reason to stay in the 17th Street area if you get a rental car. Most of the hotels charge for parking around there and the rates will be higher just because it's close to the port. Besides, you want to be closer to the Galleria Mall anyway. With a rental car you save money, have the freedom to explore and go where you want, when you want.

Edited by Lido_Deck

Shuttles are not really that simple. You have to wait, go on their schedule and it most likely will be shared with 8 or 10 other people, so it will make multiple stops taking forever to get to where you want to go. I see no reason to stay in the 17th Street area if you get a rental car.

Most of the shuttles from POM go straight to FLL - no stops or delays. $15 per person and you are at FLL in about 45 minutes. Easy enough to contact your driver as you are leaving the ship. You might wait a few minutes or stop at another ship to fill up the van.

I agree that a car gives you lots of options, but a simple shuttle to FLL and then the hotel shuttle or a taxi is an easy and cheap option.

Edited by JohninDC

We just did this last week. SAS is super easy for $15 per person, they have multiple shuttles running, so your wait is minimum. They will take you directly to FLL and then you simply catch a ride to your hotel. If you want 17th Street, The Hyatt Place (behind Embassy Suites) charges $2 to pick you up at the airport or bring you back there for your flight. That's a straight $2 per room, great deal! If you want to be by the Galleria, I suggest GalleryOne, we spent the last 3 days after our cruise there. For this option, have SAS take you to the airport and then proceed right to the Go Airport desk located just outside of the baggage claim. For $11 per person they will take you right to GalleryOne. Keep in mind if you rent a car many places will charge you $20-$25 per night to park, much easier to take the Go Airport shuttle. Have Fun!!! :)

I would take the shared shuttle and skip the rental car. After our 2015 experience I'm not too interested in a rental car unless I get it at the airport.

Here is why: we took a taxi to the rental car location, $15, at a just off Port of Miami hotel.

proceeded to the rental car desk, checked in and did paperwork, then found out they did not et have cars available, but we're expecting returns right away from cruisers dropping them off. Finally got a car nearly 2 hours later (11 am by now). It needed to be cleaned and the gas tank was EMPTY! They told me they were short handed and to put gas in it myself. Mind you, I was planning to hit the beach until about 3, then on to FLL for a 6pm flight home and we've already wasted 2 hours. The car was mainly to store luggage.

For our next trip, we are riding on a shared shuttle service both ways. It is easier than trying to navigate the one-way street maze.

We like the Hyatt House in Dania Beach, as it has a free shuttle to and from the airport and an inexpensive shuttle to Port Everglades.

Hi to you all,

just wanted to let you know that we booked a shuttle with QLS from MIami port to FLL Airport and from there we will take a taxi to our hotel ( which is The Victoria Park Hotel which we choose for their location )

We emailed SaS a couple of times but they never answered ( probably because we are from outside the US )

QLS answered immediately kind and polite their rate is the same 15 us pp to the airport. There is a chance they can bring us to the hotel for a higher rate but that depends on their availability closer to our date. ( need to email again a little closer to our travel date )

soall it settled

May you all have a Christmas that is more special than it has ever been.

Our best wishes to you and to all those who are close to you.

br from Belgium

Frieda

I would take the shared shuttle and skip the rental car. After our 2015 experience I'm not too interested in a rental car unless I get it at the airport.

Here is why: we took a taxi to the rental car location, $15, at a just off Port of Miami hotel.

proceeded to the rental car desk, checked in and did paperwork, then found out they did not et have cars available, but we're expecting returns right away from cruisers dropping them off. Finally got a car nearly 2 hours later (11 am by now). It needed to be cleaned and the gas tank was EMPTY! They told me they were short handed and to put gas in it myself. Mind you, I was planning to hit the beach until about 3, then on to FLL for a 6pm flight home and we've already wasted 2 hours. The car was mainly to store luggage.

For our next trip, we are riding on a shared shuttle service both ways. It is easier than trying to navigate the one-way street maze.

We like the Hyatt House in Dania Beach, as it has a free shuttle to and from the airport and an inexpensive shuttle to Port Everglades.

Why didn't you take the free shuttle from POM to the MIA rental car center? They don't run out of cars. Just because you picked the wrong location of the wrong rental car company doesn't mean the OP should skip doing it correctly.

For someone who is from a foreign country and English is their second language all "you people" telling them to go here, do this, then go there, do that, then stay here so you can catch a trolley is very confusing when they are unsure of everything and whether they are doing it correctly.

Just keep it simple: Make a car rental reservation to pick up at MIA, ride the free shuttle to the MIA car rental facility from the POM, pick up the car and with the aid of a GPS drive to your hotel anywhere they desire to save some money. Then they can drive to Galleria Mall.

Hi to you all,

just wanted to let you know that we booked a shuttle with QLS from MIami port to FLL Airport and from there we will take a taxi to our hotel ( which is The Victoria Park Hotel which we choose for their location )

We emailed SaS a couple of times but they never answered ( probably because we are from outside the US )

QLS answered immediately kind and polite their rate is the same 15 us pp to the airport. There is a chance they can bring us to the hotel for a higher rate but that depends on their availability closer to our date. ( need to email again a little closer to our travel date )

soall it settled

br from Belgium

Frieda

Sounds easy! After my experiences driving in Miami, much easier.

I like QLS. They are who I use.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Hi to you all,

soall it settled

br from Belgium

Frieda

Frieda...

That is an unusual choice for a hotel that I am not familiar with and would like to know more. It might be a hidden gem that could be an alternative to the usual properties suggested here. Do you mind telling us how much the rate was?

Also, taxi fare from the FLL Airport to that area is going to be about $20-$25 before tip and about the same to the port, so you are looking at about $75-$100 for your transportation to and from your hotel. Personally, I would still rent a car from MIA for about $50 total and have the freedom to go where you want, when you want to make the most of your stay without standing and waiting for a trolley or bus to come along. Parking is free at the hotel, but don't forget the GPS.

to rent a car in the US is for European people a little more complicated we need an Internationale driver licence ( have to add that price to ) we need special arrangements due to insurance

so the price you pay is never the price we pay

also the hassle when cruise ships ( probably a lot of ships ) comes in

there is a waiting line that can be outrageous ( oh yes we have been there and done that )

we would have rented a car for more than one day ( we have also done that )

but not this time

Why didn't you take the free shuttle from POM to the MIA rental car center? They don't run out of cars. Just because you picked the wrong location of the wrong rental car company doesn't mean the OP should skip doing it correctly.

For someone who is from a foreign country and English is their second language all "you people" telling them to go here, do this, then go there, do that, then stay here so you can catch a trolley is very confusing when they are unsure of everything and whether they are doing it correctly.

Just keep it simple: Make a car rental reservation to pick up at MIA, ride the free shuttle to the MIA car rental facility from the POM, pick up the car and with the aid of a GPS drive to your hotel anywhere they desire to save some money. Then they can drive to Galleria Mall.

Sounds easy! After my experiences driving in Miami, much easier.

I like QLS. They are who I use.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

As an UBER rookie, (coincidentally born in Belgium some 70+ years ago), let me add my two cents, or .014 Euros worth

If you can access the North American Uber web site it may be fairly easy to set up an account from your home computer. You will have to give Uber your credit card information and download the app onto your smartphone.

As to shuttle service; I have taken shuttles from Miami Airport and Fort Lauderdale Airport, and at no time have I had an issue with them not wanting to take me to any particular hotel. There are some transportation companies that may not be allowed at airports, so you cannot take them FROM anywhere to the airport. As I recall I had to give the shuttle company the destination address so they could calculate my cost, and I believe I paid with a credit card on-line at the time of booking . However things turn out, enjoy your cruise and your stay in the American sunny South.

We were visiting Belgium a few years ago, and when my GPS told me to turn right, I almost ran our rental car onto a tram line in Ghent. So I think I'll confine my driving to Canada and the U.S. And I agree; I would not look forward to driving from Miami to Fort Lauderdale. Too much fast moving traffic for a stranger to comfortably find their way around.icon10.gif

At this point we are very happy with QLS as they answer to every of my questions We have got our comfirmation and if they have availability they will drive us all the way to the hotel with an extra charge No hassle renting cars which we did a couple of times wishing you all A joyful Christmas and may Every New Year be happy

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk