is uber reliable?

omyjamie

We have never used Uber but will next week for the 1st time. However we have a question regarding requesting a car at 4:00am to travel to our airport. At that time how long could we expect to wait or should we call for the car sooner? We are 15 minutes from Columbus, OH airport and have a 5:30am flight. I apologize if this is the wrong thread to be asking this ? If so could someone direct me to the correct thread. I have the App on my phone and loaded a credit card for payment. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It just depends. We had a 15 minute wait in South Kensington (London) at 4:00 am going to St. Pancras--we expected it would be a 2-3 minute wait. On the flip side I live in an area that has very few Uber drivers, and it is common to have to wait 30 or more minutes if you can get one at all. I just looked and could have an Uber here in two minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It just depends. We had a 15 minute wait in South Kensington (London) at 4:00 am going to St. Pancras--we expected it would be a 2-3 minute wait. On the flip side I live in an area that has very few Uber drivers, and it is common to have to wait 30 or more minutes if you can get one at all. I just looked and could have an Uber here in two minutes.

Appreciate the response, I too just checked and at 10:00am I have several Uber drivers nearby, my concern is 4:00am? Just wish there was someone locally to contact?

Appreciate the response, I too just checked and at 10:00am I have several Uber drivers nearby, my concern is 4:00am? Just wish there was someone locally to contact?

Set your alarm for 4:00 am for a week or so and check availability each day to give yourself a base. If there seems to be little to no availability, make alternate plans. I would have a back up anyhow.

Hi there, we have thought about doing the uber route from a fort lauderdale hotel to the port of miami (because we need to stop at the liquor store for wine) as a few cruisers have suggested it.

Have many of you done this and found it to be reliable or a nightmare?

Thanks!

Jamie

Personally, I have found the Uber App to not be very reliable. It works and then it doesn't work. I have an Android; not sure if that may be the reason.

I use Lyft now as my "Uber".

The concept is outstanding and I highly recommend.

Most Uber drivers are also driving for Lyft.

The difference?

Customers can tip on the Lyft App. This is not possible on Uber.

Unless Uber has changed their app recently.

Hi there, we have thought about doing the uber route from a fort lauderdale hotel to

How easy is it to get picked up at Port Everglades for a ride to FLL? I'm reading rumors that UBER drivers don't like to come to the Port for a pick-up. Has anyone had any experience with pick up at Port Everglades after a cruise? Is UBER or LYFT better for this?

Different cities have different restrictions, so I just want to make sure that it is OK to get and pickup and dropoff with Uber at MIA?

I've used Uber to and from MIA several times. Pick-up is a little different, as the driver typically calls you to help locate you easily, but I have had some difficulties because a few drivers didn't speak English. Once we realized the communication issue, they cancel the Uber order and it's passed to the next driver, and there are plenty around. Last January, I had to go through 3 or 4 drivers to find one who could understand where I was, but that happened in under 10 minutes, so it wasn't really TOO much of a bother and I plan on using them again with my next cruise in February.

I've used Uber to and from MIA several times. Pick-up is a little different, as the driver typically calls you to help locate you easily, but I have had some difficulties because a few drivers didn't speak English. Once we realized the communication issue, they cancel the Uber order and it's passed to the next driver, and there are plenty around.

Doesn't the app tell them both where you are and where you want to go?

I've used Uber to and from MIA several times. Pick-up is a little different, as the driver typically calls you to help locate you easily, but I have had some difficulties because a few drivers didn't speak English. Once we realized the communication issue, they cancel the Uber order and it's passed to the next driver, and there are plenty around. Last January, I had to go through 3 or 4 drivers to find one who could understand where I was, but that happened in under 10 minutes, so it wasn't really TOO much of a bother and I plan on using them again with my next cruise in February.

CoW mAn is right. If you mark your location correctly, the drivers call you to know exactly where you are...like what street corner you're on.

TBH, it seems a little rude to cancel an Uber because of a communication issue. They need to make money too. In Miami (not the airport, but around town) I've had MANY drivers who speak little to no English but everything goes smoothly once I'm in the car. All have been friendly and courteous.

Sent from Tapatalk

Does anyone recall how much the trip from FLL to POM was with Uber?

Also has anyone used Uber for a group of 6?

You would need an Uber XL. I have used them for parties of five and six. Keep in mind there aren't as many of them out there, so your wait could be longer.

Actually just did an estimate. Looks like for our family of 6 would be between $61 and $80. I'm thinking we'll just do SAS for$78 given the amazing experience we've had with them in the past and the fact they can for sure fit all of our luggage.

We have never used Uber but will next week for the 1st time. However we have a question regarding requesting a car at 4:00am to travel to our airport. At that time how long could we expect to wait or should we call for the car sooner? We are 15 minutes from Columbus, OH airport and have a 5:30am flight. I apologize if this is the wrong thread to be asking this ? If so could someone direct me to the correct thread. I have the App on my phone and loaded a credit card for payment. Thx

Post-cruise last week we stayed two nights in Fort Lauderdale--We needed to leave the hotel Monday morning at 4:15AM for an early morning flight.

I set up a Lyft pickup the night before-(right in the app)-it gave me a 10-minute window, 4:10-4:20AM.

Got a text a few minutes before the p/u time--the driver was at the door of our hotel at 4:10.

Worked perfectly. :)

When being picked up at the airport you need to specify what terminal, but there are several exits depending on what luggage carrousel, etc, as well as many people out waiting to be picked up, so the Uber driver tends to call you to ask a more precise location and what color shirt you have on, or some other easily identifying character, at least, in my experience.

And to be clear, it was the driver's who cancelled on me, not the other way around.

Does anyone recall how much the trip from FLL to POM was with Uber?

Also has anyone used Uber for a group of 6?

We're in Fort Lauderdale now. Sailing on the Regal today.

Used Uber yesterday. Flew into MIA international. Our hotel is on the beach in Fort Lauderdale Courtyard Marriott.

My husband had him stop at this big cigar store on the way. Hubby ran in to make purchases, I stayed in car with driver.

Our final bill was $43.34.

This saved us a lot of money.

Taxi would have been $80 to $100, if not more. Shuttles were about $30 per person, if I remember correctly.

We tipped him a $20. Very professional and drove safely on the highway. His English was limited, but he had our hotel info in his system from my reservation. We didn't have to converse much.

I thought it was going to be a nightmare finding the car. After picking up luggage, which was on the last carousel, you walk to door marked E9. Each exit doors are numbered at MIA, making it easy for passengers.

I had my tablet, got a signal, pulled up the APP and made the reservation. It took less than 5 min.

His name came up immediately, and said he'll be here in 4 min. No exaggeration! 1 minute later my phone rang, he addressed me by name with a greeting. His English was limited, so I said we're at 9. He said 9, ok. Dude was there 2 min later.

I highly recommend Uber for travel needs.

Edited by Cruzinbabe06

Used Uber in Florida this past week much nicer/cheaper than the taxis there .

I did find out the reason they call you is because they may get an approximate area of where you are. Example: I was at the Best Western Oceanside plus on sea breeze,driver was looking for me across the street.

at another hotel.

A few hiccups ,but for the most part a much more pleasant time.

Forgot to say had a driver cancel on me last year, Uber gave me a credit it was still there this year :) I thought was nice, as I do not use Uber at home,I drive.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

I have never used Uber and am used to using car services which I book days if not weeks ahead of time. Can you do that with Uber or do you need to book it at the time you are ready for them? For example, could I make arrangements a few days ahead of time for Uber to pick me up at my hotel at 9 a.m. to go to POM or should I just wait until I have checked out of the hotel?

I have never used Uber and am used to using car services which I book days if not weeks ahead of time. Can you do that with Uber or do you need to book it at the time you are ready for them? For example, could I make arrangements a few days ahead of time for Uber to pick me up at my hotel at 9 a.m. to go to POM or should I just wait until I have checked out of the hotel?

I don't think you can request them far in advance, but in Miami, there are Uber drivers everywhere and you hardly have to wait at all. If you like a nicer car, like a Cadillac or BWM, for example, you can request UberX, for a bit higher price. But even ordering the base Uber, I've always had nice, clean cars, and sometimes if an X driver is nearby and bored, they'll pick you up for the base price.

I don't think you can request them far in advance, but in Miami, there are Uber drivers everywhere and you hardly have to wait at all. If you like a nicer car, like a Cadillac or BWM, for example, you can request UberX, for a bit higher price. But even ordering the base Uber, I've always had nice, clean cars, and sometimes if an X driver is nearby and bored, they'll pick you up for the base price.

I don't know about Uber, but with Lyft you can schedule a pickup a few days ahead at a specified time.

As I mentioned in a post above, we needed a 4:15AM p/u to go from our hotel to the FLL airport. I set the p/u in the app for 4:10-4:20AM---driver was at the door of our hotel at 4:10AM.

I'm not sure if you can do the same with Uber.

I don't know about Uber, but with Lyft you can schedule a pickup a few days ahead at a specified time.

As I mentioned in a post above, we needed a 4:15AM p/u to go from our hotel to the FLL airport. I set the p/u in the app for 4:10-4:20AM---driver was at the door of our hotel at 4:10AM.

Oh that's good to know! I've never used Lyft

Thanks for the information. It is good that the wait is not typically long.

Good to know. Thanks!