Raices or Punto De Vista

KPfromCT

We are on the Oasis in June and only in port from 7-2.

Figured we'd enjoy the ship to ourselves in the morning, and then venture out for a nice authentic lunch.

I had my heart set on Punto De Vista, but now Raices popped into the game.

Do they both have the same selection of food? I really want to try mofongo, but DD wants nothing to do with it. She'd be great with chicken and rice and beans.........

Which do you prefer?

Thanks!:D:D

I can't make the comparison for you as we haven't eaten at Punto de Vista, but I can say that based on what I read here on CC, we picked Raices for our lunch in Old San Juan in February and LOVED it. My spouse and I each had the skirt steak mofongo in chimichurri sauce, and it was unbelievably delicious. It was our very first mofongo, and we were a bit skeptical about whether we'd like it, but wow, it was fantastic.

BTW, I don't know if you've been to OSJ before, but it's quite compact and walkable, and you do have time for some sightseeing in the morning (indeed, you could visit one of the forts if you wanted) and then have lunch before returning to the ship.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Mofongo%20at%20Raices_zpszhfonvwb.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

We ate in Raices last week I had the mofongo with grouper it was amazing. I had tended to stay away as I thought it was too touristy, that was until a friend who is a local highly recommend the place. It was Awesome! We also ate in Gensis a few doors down very low key lots of locals and great food.

I can't compare either, as we only had Raices out of the two, but my hubby and I were not impressed. It seems to be a tourist trap type of place. We had better food for less at Barrachinas. If you research and have your heart set on a place, stick with your gut. We were talked out of La Casita Blanca for Raices and I've regretted it ever since.

Don't get me wrong, Raices wasn't horrible....the food was okay, but we just felt we got better elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps consider the "Green Parrot Club" just ate there last night....absolutely wonderful food, drinks and amazing service from Ivan...our new favorite in Old San Juan :D

I like Genesis, too. Like Puerto Rican home cooked food.

I didn't like the look of the mofongo in the photo. I prefer it with a creole sauce. The mofongo in the photo looked dry and I've had dry mofongo.

Perhaps consider the "Green Parrot Club" just ate there last night....absolutely wonderful food, drinks and amazing service from Ivan...our new favorite in Old San Juan :D

Are you sure that was Green Parrot club and not The Parrot Club???

I was at the Parrot Club the other week, on Calle Forteleza. Sat at the bar and had a wonderful bar woman take care of me. A proper and good-tasting classic mojito. I also had the small plate of their nachos - Oh My. It was big enough that it became my entire meal; the idea of using various root vegetable chips instead of tortilla chips was a very nice touch. I even went ahead and ate the ropa vieja that was on the sides of the plate - I don't normally eat red meat, but this was one time I was glad that I indulged. It was wonderfully cooked, and well-spiced, meat.

Are you sure that was Green Parrot club and not The Parrot Club???

I was at the Parrot Club the other week, on Calle Forteleza. Sat at the bar and had a wonderful bar woman take care of me. A proper and good-tasting classic mojito. I also had the small plate of their nachos - Oh My. It was big enough that it became my entire meal; the idea of using various root vegetable chips instead of tortilla chips was a very nice touch. I even went ahead and ate the ropa vieja that was on the sides of the plate - I don't normally eat red meat, but this was one time I was glad that I indulged. It was wonderfully cooked, and well-spiced, meat.

Sorry :o...of course it was the Parrot Club...we had the nachos too and a couple of other apps...and drinks...Yummy...Going back tomorrow for lunch on our turn around cruise B2B day for lunch !!!

I had the coconut mojito.

Edited by Ashland