Upgrade question?

cat8211

I'm sailing on the Gem for my honeymoon in August. We had to do the final payment last week and currently have an oceanview room. If prices were to drop closer to the sailing time and balconies were available for something in our price range, is it possible to upgrade by paying the difference? We're after final payment so I'm trying to figure out if I should stop checking prices or not. Thanks!

I'm sailing on the Gem for my honeymoon in August. We had to do the final payment last week and currently have an oceanview room. If prices were to drop closer to the sailing time and balconies were available for something in our price range, is it possible to upgrade by paying the difference? We're after final payment so I'm trying to figure out if I should stop checking prices or not. Thanks!

As long as it's before final payment.

I've upgraded after final payment.

You need to work with your TA or PCC for that. You won't get any of the new deals and it's not always possible to do the upgrade after the final payment (check carefully that you won't lose any deals/perks you have though); however, yes, it can be done.

You should be able to pay for an upgrade. Keep in mind that you might lose the promotion that you booked with -- it seems people's success in keeping/losing promotions depends on which representative they speak with regarding the upgrade.

Edited by brookie848

Yes. We upgraded from an assigned ocean view cabin to a balcony guarantee a few weeks ago for our Med cruise. By booking a guarantee, we were able to keep our promotions - UDP, UBP and OBC. If we had wanted to choose our own cabin, we would have lost our promotions.

Did you even read the original post at all?|

Yes, you can upgrade after final payment without issue. You will also NOT lose your promotions as another user posted. You are simply paying for an upgrade, not canceling and rebooking. Keep an eye on the pricing and if you are luck they will drop. A quick call to your PCC is all it will take.

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

I am sailing in 10 days and i have called every few days to see if something is available to upgrade.

My NCL rep Lee said he actually cancels your reservation and rebooks you...it's all done internally. He figures it out if i would gain/lose anything. I have an outside picture window cabin and hoping for price drop to get the balcony on an upgrade cheap cheap.....so far, no luck. He looks forward to my 3pm calll every few days --- said Lee NEVER hahaha.

All kidding aside, you should put NCL on speed dial and give them a call while you are sitting at a red light or in traffic. It's a quick call! and they will tell you if you will benefit from the change. And I am obviously within the cancellation period and it still can be done.

Yes you can definitely upgrade by paying the difference after final payment. If the price of the next category drops below what you paid you may actually be able to get the upgrade for free.

My husband and I are sailing on the Sky June 29. When I booked in March I booked an oceanview room and received the UBP for free. Just last week (after final payment obviously) I noticed the balcony prices had come down so I called and upgraded to a balcony and simply paid the difference ($50.00 each) and I did NOT lose my UBP package. It took all of 5 minutes to do. It's not a problem at all. This is actually the third time we've done this - never had a problem.

Really?

I am aware of many people who have upgraded after final payment without any problem. NCL is always happy to take a little more money from you.

• 3 weeks later...
Did you even read the original post at all?|

Yes, you can upgrade after final payment without issue. You will also NOT lose your promotions as another user posted. You are simply paying for an upgrade, not canceling and rebooking. Keep an eye on the pricing and if you are luck they will drop. A quick call to your PCC is all it will take.

6&8

That's not entirely true. If the promotions you booked under are no longer available at the current advertised price you are looking to pay then you may lose your promotion, or just get whatever the current promotion is by paying to upgrade.

I upgraded last week to balcony for our July 5th date. I got the email from the upsell dept. twice. I acted on the second and saved some money. So yes, you can upgrade after final payment. They have a upsell department. Call them. 1.800.625.4309

Edited by Squabbit

• 2 weeks later...

It worked out! Balcony prices dropped below what we paid for oceanview. They ended up letting us do a complimentary upgrade to balcony guarantee. We dont get to pick the cabin, but after looking at what was available for balconies I had no problem with that! Can't wait for our honeymoon!

It worked out! Balcony prices dropped below what we paid for oceanview. They ended up letting us do a complimentary upgrade to balcony guarantee. We dont get to pick the cabin, but after looking at what was available for balconies I had no problem with that! Can't wait for our honeymoon!

So happy to hear it worked out for you. Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Bear in mind that you must make certain whomever is doing the switch understands how to do it without losing any promotions OR your original booking date if you need that for points. Most times we have had no problem but one time a not very savvy PCC cancelled us, then rebooked, so we lost those extra points...

Can you deal direct with the NCL upsell department if you purchased through a TA after final payment- this has likely been asked elsewhere and answered but still learning how CC works. I purchased GMed cruise 4mths ago for an oceanview room mid ship and now the fare is $500 cheaper than when I purchased. I would like to upgrade to a balcony but the price is still 1k more than my oceanview purchase price.

Can you deal direct with the NCL upsell department if you purchased through a TA after final payment- this has likely been asked elsewhere and answered but still learning how CC works. I purchased GMed cruise 4mths ago for an oceanview room mid ship and now the fare is $500 cheaper than when I purchased. I would like to upgrade to a balcony but the price is still 1k more than my oceanview purchase price.

You need to do it through your TA since that is how you originally booked.