Hotel in area for cruise out of Galveston

ski_mom

I posted the other day about staying in the San Antonio or Galveston area and got lots of great information, so thought I'd ask another question!

We decided to stay in the Galveston / Houston area. We'll be there from Friday late afternoon until we board the ship on Sunday.

Our tentative plan is to do the Galveston duck rides (or possibly some other island tour) on Friday, go to the space center on Saturday morning and the rest is up in the air.

I'd love to book one of the great hotels right in Galveston, but everything is so high in the middle of July. We need 2 hotel rooms for 2 nights and everything I'm finding is around $250/room/night, so we'd be spending over $1,000 for the 2 nights after taxes and fees.

Anyway, I'm now looking into staying within driving distance of Galveston, but I definitely don't want to spend lots of time in traffic. I'm not familiar at all with the area, but I'm looking in the Kemah or Texas City areas (although Texas City isn't looking a lot cheaper than Galveston).

Anyway, I just wondered if I'm heading in the right direction and would gladly welcome any comments and advice.

Thanks!

Try Avenue O Bed and Breakfast I booked a room there for base rate $109. And that includes parking for the cruise.

Years ago we did the off shore drilling rig museum in Galvestion (name is probably not right but close enough). Awesome place.

Try a vacation rental. They may be less than 2 hotel rooms as many have 2 or more bedrooms and some with a 2 night minimum rental so that would work for you.

There are so many on the island, there should be something available.

You would need to park at one of the lots at the pier, but you would still be saving money.

Thank you for the suggestion of the B&B, but on our nights the only rooms available only sleep 2, so those wouldn't work for us. otherwise it looks great!

We've been looking at vacation rentals, but I'm having a hard time finding reviews on them.

I've seen a few that look good at Dawn Condominiums, does anyone have any experience with those?

I'm so used to reading lots of reviews on places, that it's hard to go into something blind.

Thanks again!

Look for hotels around Hobby airport. Right off the interstate (I45) and easy access to everything on the south side of Houston. You will have a car so you can play tourist so all you really need is a place to make camp at night. You will only be 30-45 min from the cruise terminal, but won;t have to pay summer island prices. And most every hotel chain has a property near the airport so you have a pretty wide selection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Look for hotels around Hobby airport. Right off the interstate (I45) and easy access to everything on the south side of Houston. You will have a car so you can play tourist so all you really need is a place to make camp at night. You will only be 30-45 min from the cruise terminal, but won;t have to pay summer island prices. And most every hotel chain has a property near the airport so you have a pretty wide selection.

Doubletree by Hobby is nice just about 100 a night , nice little pool, decent restaurant and lounge/bar areas

Try Gaidos seaside inn .Beautiful pool grest restsurants near pleadure pier free breakfast .Rooms arent fancy but vlean and friendly staff

Three restaurants

Gaidos legendary

Nicks

Pelican Club and with great happy hour 4-7 Wed - SAT not private and casual

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from our trip and I just wanted to reply to this thread with what we ended up doing.

We stayed 2 nights at the Comfort Inn & Suites at 2901 Nasa Parkway in Seabrook which very close to Kemah. I think our rates was around $120/night for each room which included a decent breakfast. Overall, I think overall it was a pretty good deal and worked out well for our family since we were going to NASA on Saturday morning anyway.

Friday evening when we arrived in the area, we checked in and headed to the Kemah boardwalk to eat dinner. We ended up eating at Bubba Gumps which we enjoyed. The kids always love eating there and my inlaws had never been to one, so it was something new for them.