Souvenirs

mdfaith07

What is the best souvenir you have purchased in the Bahamas? We are going to Nassau and i wanted to purchase something that would be a reminder of a good trip but i don't want anything that is really touristy with Bahamas all over it?!?

Any ideas?

Thanks

What is the best souvenir you have purchased in the Bahamas? We are going to Nassau and i wanted to purchase something that would be a reminder of a good trip but i don't want anything that is really touristy with Bahamas all over it?!?

Any ideas?

Thanks

If you don't want anything "touristy", look for locally made items, such as the hand carved wooden items that BoDidly mentioned. Most of the typical souvenir items at the Straw Market, such as the straw tote bags, hats, key rings, etc. aren't even made in the Bahamas.

My son bought a small guitar made out of a soda can that was kind of cool. As I recall he got it from a street vendor. He was going to get one made from a Coke can but I convinced him to get one made from a local Bahamian soda can as it would more readily identify where it was from.

My son bought a small guitar made out of a soda can that was kind of cool. As I recall he got it from a street vendor. He was going to get one made from a Coke can but I convinced him to get one made from a local Bahamian soda can as it would more readily identify where it was from.

Was it Goombay Punch?:) My DH loves that stuff!:p Very much one of his must-haves on every visit to the Bahamas. Good choice getting that instead of the Coke can.:)

My personal favourites are:

• a hand-carved wooden Bahamian land crab, from the Straw Market in Nassau, because it reminds me of my favourite place in the Bahamas, very different from Nassau: Green Turtle Cay.:)
  • 3 beautiful watercolour-on-silk paintings by a very talented Bahamian artist, TIFF (Tiffany Barrett). We have two of green sea turtles, and one of a sailfish. I LOVE these paintings and plan to look for more in a few weeks in Freeport (where we bought the first three). A couple years ago, I even found a TIFF print on a glass coaster on Green Turtle Cay.:)

Was it Goombay Punch?:) My DH loves that stuff!:p Very much one of his must-haves on every visit to the Bahamas. Good choice getting that instead of the Coke can.:)

It could have been but in true teenage fashion he didn't take care of it and it was thrown out. Fortunately it had been purchased with his money and not mine:).

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 beautiful watercolour-on-silk paintings by a very talented Bahamian artist, TIFF (Tiffany Barrett). We have two of green sea turtles, and one of a sailfish. I LOVE these paintings and plan to look for more in a few weeks in Freeport (where we bought the first three). A couple years ago, I even found a TIFF print on a glass coaster on Green Turtle Cay.:)

Thanks for telling me about Tiff. She has a little booth outside Festival Place in Nassau and I got a small print of a turtle. Love it!

ry%3D480

Edited by CruisinCrow

Thanks for telling me about Tiff. She has a little booth outside Festival Place in Nassau and I got a small print of a turtle. Love it!

ry%3D480

You're very welcome! I love your print!:D It's very similar to mine. I just love the way she uses watercolour on the silk to evoke the play of sunlight underwater.:)