Cruising from Brooklyn

We will arrive in New York a day before our cruise and will be staying near Time Square. We will be leaving from the Brooklyn terminal.

Any recommendations for getting from the hotel to the ship on Saturday and then from the ship back to JFK the following week? What about from LGA to the hotel?

Is it better to do ship transfers or to do something on our own?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Is your LGA arrival on a weekday pre-cruise, if true - using 1 of 2 popular NYC car service, Dial 7 or Carmel might be easier since it's a flat rate vs. yellow taxi's metered rates (sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic watching the $$ meter isn't fun, IMO) to Time Square/Manhattan, fares should be about $40 or less for a full size/deluxe sedan that fit 3 adults & 3 luggage plus hand carry items. Midtown tunnel or RFJ bridge toll, depending on route is $8 one-way cash or $5.56 with digital EZ-Pass toll paid, add-on fee collected by the driver plus tipping, 20% of fare suggested. It will be FASTER than cruise transport while they wait for others to arrive & fill up the bus, which some preferred :p :rolleyes:

From hotel to Brookyn's Red Hook CT/pier, booking Dial 7 or Carmel is recommended vs. a street hail yellow taxi running on the meter, as one could be on a scenic long ride or be sitting in rush hour/unexpected traffic jams (weekend - emergency - bridge/highway constructions or repairs, accidents, etc.) Both companies have online sites & free mobile APP, get a quote & see for yourself ... we generally do Carmel & have no issues with them, finding their prices always a little lower - clean, safe & comfortable cars with pro driver neatly dressed (don't care for driver in suite & tie, cap & white gloves, etc. - LOL) Weekend traffic is lighter on average (with exceptions) - allow 45 to 60 minutes for getting to the BCT.

On return from Brooklyn to JFK for homebound flight, line for taxi at BCT are said to be limited & long lines for waiting, best to use Carmel or Dial 7 - book it ahead of time to minimize wait time for getting driver & car assigned - travel time of 45 to 60 minutes should be fine, unless weather is a factor or unexpected road constructions or accidents, etc. (or, the draw bridge on the Belt Parkway, raised for passing marine traffic ... been caught a few times over the years en route to the office/home & delayed :eek:) There is no toll involved - fare should be about $40 plus tips for the 20 to 25 miles trip depending on exact routing - please input data & obtain latest quote on their website.

Extra tips - on mobile/celluar signal on the ship for disembarkation purposes, you should pickup a usable "home" signal and no longer roaming about 1 hour+ before docking at the pier, as ship come into the Sandy Hook & NJ/NY's shorelines & lights come into sight, sailing slow up toward/thru the Lower Bay - plenty of time to reconfirm with your booked car service (or, even book one if not already done - and, let them know you will call back once outside with luggage & done with CBP, etc. & ready for pickup.

Is your LGA arrival on a weekday pre-cruise, if true - using 1 of 2 popular NYC car service, Dial 7 or Carmel might be easier since it's a flat rate vs. yellow taxi's metered rates (sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic watching the $$ meter isn't fun, IMO) to Time Square/Manhattan, fares should be about $40 or less for a full size/deluxe sedan that fit 3 adults & 3 luggage plus hand carry items. Midtown tunnel or RFJ bridge toll, depending on route is $8 one-way cash or $5.56 with digital EZ-Pass toll paid, add-on fee collected by the driver plus tipping, 20% of fare suggested. It will be FASTER than cruise transport while they wait for others to arrive & fill up the bus, which some preferred :p :rolleyes:

From hotel to Brookyn's Red Hook CT/pier, booking Dial 7 or Carmel is recommended vs. a street hail yellow taxi running on the meter, as one could be on a scenic long ride or be sitting in rush hour/unexpected traffic jams (weekend - emergency - bridge/highway constructions or repairs, accidents, etc.) Both companies have online sites & free mobile APP, get a quote & see for yourself ... we generally do Carmel & have no issues with them, finding their prices always a little lower - clean, safe & comfortable cars with pro driver neatly dressed (don't care for driver in suite & tie, cap & white gloves, etc. - LOL) Weekend traffic is lighter on average (with exceptions) - allow 45 to 60 minutes for getting to the BCT.

On return from Brooklyn to JFK for homebound flight, line for taxi at BCT are said to be limited & long lines for waiting, best to use Carmel or Dial 7 - book it ahead of time to minimize wait time for getting driver & car assigned - travel time of 45 to 60 minutes should be fine, unless weather is a factor or unexpected road constructions or accidents, etc. (or, the draw bridge on the Belt Parkway, raised for passing marine traffic ... been caught a few times over the years en route to the office/home & delayed :eek:) There is no toll involved - fare should be about $40 plus tips for the 20 to 25 miles trip depending on exact routing - please input data & obtain latest quote on their website.

Extra tips - on mobile/celluar signal on the ship for disembarkation purposes, you should pickup a usable "home" signal and no longer roaming about 1 hour+ before docking at the pier, as ship come into the Sandy Hook & NJ/NY's shorelines & lights come into sight, sailing slow up toward/thru the Lower Bay - plenty of time to reconfirm with your booked car service (or, even book one if not already done - and, let them know you will call back once outside with luggage & done with CBP, etc. & ready for pickup.

What your experience if any, with Uber when arriving back to Red Hook ??

Srpilo

What your experience if any, with Uber when arriving back to Red Hook ?? Srpilo

Sorry, direct/personal experience on Uber (Black, T or X) can't help with that one - their tiers are dynamically priced, claiming 6,000 + affiliated drivers in NYC alone vs. Dial 7 & Carmel with a combined total of about 1,600 drivers/cars - so called surged pricing in relations to supply & demand, is difficult to rate & compare.

They have what the locals call gypsy cabs. Basically they are non metered cabs(not yellow cabs) who offer you a flat fee for a ride. I am going to NYC next month and plan on using one of these cabs to get from our hotel in Brooklyn to the port. I also suggest you print out exact directions from your hotel to the Brooklyn port. The locals refer to the port as Red Hook so instead of just saying the port use the term Red hook. Anyways if you have printed directions and the cab driver seems confused, hand him the directions.

This info was told to me from a local New Yorker and I have verified it with others.

They have what the locals call gypsy cabs. Basically they are non metered cabs(not yellow cabs) who offer you a flat fee for a ride. I am going to NYC next month and plan on using one of these cabs to get from our hotel in Brooklyn to the port. I also suggest you print out exact directions from your hotel to the Brooklyn port. The locals refer to the port as Red Hook so instead of just saying the port use the term Red hook. Anyways if you have printed directions and the cab driver seems confused, hand him the directions.

This info was told to me from a local New Yorker and I have verified it with others.

There are perfectly legal, licensed and insured car services such as Carmel, Dial 7 and Arecibo, to name a few, that offer flat rate service. These services are NOT "gypsy cabs". If you're planning to take a "gypsy cab" all I can say is good luck and I hope you arrive in one piece with your body, luggage and wallet intact.

There are perfectly legal, licensed and insured car services such as Carmel, Dial 7 and Arecibo, to name a few, that offer flat rate service. These services are NOT "gypsy cabs". If you're planning to take a "gypsy cab" all I can say is good luck and I hope you arrive in one piece with your body, luggage and wallet intact.

I totally disagree about gypsy cabs. Except in Manhattan where they are not allowed, gypsy cabs are the way to go and they are perfectly safe. Just ask a New Yorker. That is what I did and found out gypsy cabs are just fine. In fact your hotel will even call for one if you ask them.

I totally disagree about gypsy cabs. Except in Manhattan where they are not allowed, gypsy cabs are the way to go and they are perfectly safe. Just ask a New Yorker. That is what I did and found out gypsy cabs are just fine. In fact your hotel will even call for one if you ask them.

I don't have to ask a New Yorker. Both my wife and I were born and raised in NY City.

Your hotel, unless you were staying at some flea-bag dive, probably called a licensed car service. You just don't know the difference between a car service and a gypsy cab.

Edited by njhorseman

Please don't recommend something you have no experience with because a non-informed person will think Gypsy cabs are ok. Most gypsy cab drivers want to make an honest living, but there are some who like to prey on tourists. There is no reason to use gypsy cab drivers going from any hotel to the cruise port. There are several recommended livery cab companies on this board plus some I'm sure the hotel recommends.

NYC T.L.C.-licensed car service like Dial 7 & Carmel, along with several of "my" neigbhorhood-based car service are fully insured and safety inspected, and those are the only ones we recommend to others and/or ride them ourselves ... and not calling them "gypsy" cars as that's downgrading them by one notch or more - and, of course, there are high end "black" cars - in the good old days, our business across the street from Golden Sachs, downtown @ Pearl Street has a line of 25 to 50 Lincolons waiting every evening to pickup their "accounts" for the ride, not gypsy either.

Outside mostly NY counties in the other 4 boroughs (and, upper Manhattan, I believe) there are licensed "green" taxi that can be street hailed with metered fares and/or flat rates based by calling the base for a dispatch/pickup - they are licensed & regulated, and not "gypsy" cabs either, at least now in our definitions ... 40+ years here in/around NYC as transplanted local.

My functional, IMO only, definition of a gypsy car service is someone driving a non-TLC plated car or van without the proper insurance & regulatory approval as required, and stopping in front of bus stops & subway stations - racing to the next corner for a quick pickup or dropoff, sometimes 5 ft. away from the curb after cutting off other drivers, with negotiated on-the-spot "surge" pricing and it's cash only - no credit cards, no corporate accounts & often, air-conditioned by rolling down the windows (if it worked at all) You take your chances with them - most, if not all of the hotels in my area (Queens) will NOT call one of these for their guests as you ride at your own risks.

Last time we rode one was like 20 years ago in our morning commute when MTA buses were seriously short on our route, connecting to the nearest subway station to go into the "city" in the winter & we had little choice - running late for work - but to squeeze in for the 10 minute gypsy trip. Absolutely & positive sure it was not properly licensed - tires worked but brakes squeaked and got everyone to the corner just short of the regular bus dropoff, curbside. Yeah, some of them hangout at local airports - one of "them" charged some unsuspecting visiting tourist several hundreds in US dollars for the ride from JFK to midtown Manhattan, in cash ... "gypsy" vehicles come in all colors & shape/sizes.

And, we aren't even speaking of Uber-X/Black or Lyft ;)

As per above post:

My functional, IMO only, definition of a gypsy car service is someone driving a non-TLC plated car or van without the proper insurance & regulatory approval as required, and stopping in front of bus stops & subway stations - racing to the next corner for a quick pickup or dropoff, sometimes 5 ft. away from the curb after cutting off other drivers, with negotiated on-the-spot "surge" pricing and it's cash only - no credit cards, no corporate accounts & often, air-conditioned by rolling down the windows (if it worked at all) You take your chances with them - most, if not all of the hotels in my area (Queens) will NOT call one of these for their guests as you ride at your own risks.

My definition of a gypsy car service as well. Have also heard some of the drivers do not even have a drivers license.

Stick to the licensed ones!

Edited by Love the beach

I may have used the wrong term of gypsy cabs as I was talking about those that have livery on their plates, not some fake cab. The main reason I DO NOT want to take a yellow cab is as you get stuck in traffic, the meter continues to run and that could add up to a lot of money. Going to a port on the day of sailaway, thousands of people will be in cabs causing a traffic jam. Just imagine sitting in a yellow cab for an hour when you are 2 blocks from the cruise terminal but stuck in traffic. That is my concern.

I may have used the wrong term of gypsy cabs as I was talking about those that have livery on their plates, not some fake cab. The main reason I DO NOT want to take a yellow cab is as you get stuck in traffic, the meter continues to run and that could add up to a lot of money. Going to a port on the day of sailaway, thousands of people will be in cabs causing a traffic jam. Just imagine sitting in a yellow cab for an hour when you are 2 blocks from the cruise terminal but stuck in traffic. That is my concern.

Yes, most of the regulars here on the board have lived your concern. We also realize that NYC has a unique set of taxi regulations. Just remember that in NYC (any of the five boroughs) it is illegal for any of the livery drivers to roam the streets looking for fares. You must call them. There are also green NYC regulated taxis that are allowed to roam the outer boroughs to pick up fares but they are metered, so you are not interested in them.

Yes, most of the regulars here on the board have lived your concern. We also realize that NYC has a unique set of taxi regulations. Just remember that in NYC (any of the five boroughs) it is illegal for any of the livery drivers to roam the streets looking for fares. You must call them. There are also green NYC regulated taxis that are allowed to roam the outer boroughs to pick up fares but they are metered, so you are not interested in them.

Thank you for your post. That is exactly what I was talking about and is what I planned all along, to call them for a pick up.

Great information, got the car service booked. Thank you.