Virtual Balcony Question?

Jcol5786

Thinking about trying to fit in an extra cruise next year as we have a couple of special occasions that we can use as an excuse. We usually take a cruise during our February winter break and are booked on Allure in 2017. I have been thinking about a second late summer or early fall cruise in 2017. This cruise would need to be less costly so we are considering shorter cruises as well as interior cabins. I think I'll be happy just to be on a second cruise however we have always had balcony rooms so I'm wondering if we will find a interior a little too closed in? The idea of a virtual balcony room is interesting. The rooms look nice and the ability to switch to different views seems to be a reasonable solution. Just wondering if I could get some comments from those who have done both types of rooms. Were you satisfied with the VB room considering the cost savings or did you still long for a real balcony? Also is there a list of ships that have VB's? I know that they are on Quantum class ships and have seen references to them on some other ships but I haven't yet found a complete list. Thanks.

Edited by Jcol5786

On the Anthem we had virtual balconies. I enjoyed the room. It was my first time in an interior room. Usually my teen boys are in the interior rooms across from us (we are in a balcony). Their room always seemed closed off. But they are never it in except to sleep for a few hours. The VB didn't make me feel as closed off from everything. I really liked it in the morning as it helped me recognize it was light outside and wake up. It's true it has a slight glow even when it's turned off. I left the curtains open and it served as a nightlight. My boys pulled the curtain shut.

had an inside room with VB on an Anthem sailing ... it was fine ... as others have stated the image can be turned off ... and since we don't spend lots of time in the cabin the size of the room wasn't a big deal ... as for sleeping, because the room tended to be darker at night, we found that we slept later most mornings since we don't set alarms while on vacation :)

We booked a large interior virtual balcony on anthem.. we booked six weeks out ..and although im a balcony snob the cost savings was well worth it ..our cabin was the same size as my sisters regular balcony .. the curtains would block the screen but we left them open

his cruise would need to be less costly so we are considering shorter cruises as well as interior cabins.

We just came back from an unplanned 2nd cruise under similar circumstances. I think 10 of our 13 cruises were balconies, but we did find on Majesty with some of the smallest cabins in the fleet. Be aware is half the battle and your, "I'm happy to be just on a cruise attitude" will certainly help.

I concur it is what you make it, and all about your attitude. I'd rather suck it up and stay in an interior room than not cruise at all. We just got off a river cruise and that room was TINY - 135 sf, but it was the best cruise we have taken by far. We only slept, showered and changed in the room. If we had to pay for a big room with a nice balcony, we couldn't have afforded the trip. :)

I concur it is what you make it, and all about your attitude. I'd rather suck it up and stay in an interior room than not cruise at all. We just got off a river cruise and that room was TINY - 135 sf, but it was the best cruise we have taken by far. We only slept, showered and changed in the room. If we had to pay for a big room with a nice balcony, we couldn't have afforded the trip. :)

Would love to hear details of your river cruise, especially since you loved it so much. Thanks in advance:)

Would love to hear details of your river cruise, especially since you loved it so much. Thanks in advance:)

We sailed on Viking on the Tialfi. We started in Basel and cruised to Amsterdam. We had the red carpet treatment from the moment we stepped out of the airport until the Viking crew made sure we connected with the cab they arranged for us at the end of the cruise (we did a 2-day extension in Amsterdam on our own as opposed to through the cruise line - cheaper that way). The ship only holds 190 passengers and 50 crew members. It was a very port intensive cruise, with guided walking tours included in every port. Some ports we paid for additional tours. In addition to the tours, the cruise fare also includes beer and wine with lunch and dinner. We also got a tour of the bridge and the galley.

I can't say enough wonderful things about the crew. They are all so friendly, they anticipate your every need, and they just want to make sure you are having a good time. With such a small crew, it's easy to get to know most of them. They all pitch in and help out, too. We saw the cruise director and the head chef carrying off luggage at the end of the cruise.

If you have some time to do some reading, here is a link to a review by someone who took this cruise in August: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2403595

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Thanks for all of the replies and pictures! It's good to hear that most find the VB OK. As I mentioned I enjoy being on these ships so much I really think we will be happy with any cabin considering it will be a bonus cruise for us. We are looking at Anthem in September or October. Is there a way to find out which ships offer VB's other than doing a fake booking to see if the category shows up? I have the current Royal C cruise catalog and it doesn't list the feature on any of the ship details that I can find.

We just got off the Anthem and had a VB room. Was fine with it....but we are cheap and sail mostly inside depending on the itinerary and price differences. Actually enjoyed the ability to see what was going on outside. True - would prefer a balcony.

My only comment was that it was a waste of an amazing TV!! You would think that they would have the ability to use it as such!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We sailed on Viking on the Tialfi. We started in Basel and cruised to Amsterdam. We had the red carpet treatment from the moment we stepped out of the airport until the Viking crew made sure we connected with the cab they arranged for us at the end of the cruise (we did a 2-day extension in Amsterdam on our own as opposed to through the cruise line - cheaper that way). The ship only holds 190 passengers and 50 crew members. It was a very port intensive cruise, with guided walking tours included in every port. Some ports we paid for additional tours. In addition to the tours, the cruise fare also includes beer and wine with lunch and dinner. We also got a tour of the bridge and the galley.

I can't say enough wonderful things about the crew. They are all so friendly, they anticipate your every need, and they just want to make sure you are having a good time. With such a small crew, it's easy to get to know most of them. They all pitch in and help out, too. We saw the cruise director and the head chef carrying off luggage at the end of the cruise.

If you have some time to do some reading, here is a link to a review by someone who took this cruise in August: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2403595

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Great information! I'm off to read that thread. Thanks so much!

Do those 80" TVs put off any heat? I'm possibly in an inside cabin for the first time (always have cruised balconies in the past), and I'm worried about the air getting stuffy with a VB, especially knowing they can't be turned off (just the image blanked).

Do those 80" TVs put off any heat? I'm possibly in an inside cabin for the first time (always have cruised balconies in the past), and I'm worried about the air getting stuffy with a VB, especially knowing they can't be turned off (just the image blanked).

I did not notice any extra heat from the TV ... no noise either .... like with any other issues with your stateroom ... if the VB television is an issue (heat or noise), just mention it to your cabin steward ... that's how I found out I could turn off the image

I did not notice any extra heat from the TV ... no noise either .... like with any other issues with your stateroom ... if the VB television is an issue (heat or noise), just mention it to your cabin steward ... that's how I found out I could turn off the image

Thanks for the reply. I decided to book a Promenade "inside" instead for about $30/pp more. I like the layout better despite the probably noise.

Thanks for the reply. I decided to book a Promenade "inside" instead for about $30/pp more. I like the layout better despite the probably noise.

have done a promenade inside before ... no need to expect there will be noise ... except for times when there are shows going on in the promenade, there was no extra noise in the room ... the promenade inside room is quite nice as well

have done a promenade inside before ... no need to expect there will be noise ... except for times when there are shows going on in the promenade, there was no extra noise in the room ... the promenade inside room is quite nice as well

Thanks for the confidence. I like that it's organized like a balcony cabin with the bed on the side instead of all the way against the back wall. (Voyager)

Thanks for the confidence. I like that it's organized like a balcony cabin with the bed on the side instead of all the way against the back wall. (Voyager)

if it's like our room was ... you may also like that there is a small couch in the bay window that looks down on the promenade ...

I haven't done virtual balcony, but I've done a promenade-inside after sailing in balconies and I liked it better for several reasons. Balcony rooms are humid, they smell funny, you never feel clean or dry after a shower, and the room has more rust because of all the moisture. The balconies themselves are not usable to me, because they create a wind tunnel and is kind of miserable to stand in and also freezing cold, therefore, the balcony doesn't get used.

I found the promenade to be plenty of room and it was much more pleasant because it wasn't constantly humid in there. I didn't feel there was anything about the balcony room that warranted the $1,000+ price difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven't done virtual balcony, but I've done a promenade-inside after sailing in balconies and I liked it better for several reasons. Balcony rooms are humid, they smell funny, you never feel clean or dry after a shower, and the room has more rust because of all the moisture. The balconies themselves are not usable to me, because they create a wind tunnel and is kind of miserable to stand in and also freezing cold, therefore, the balcony doesn't get used.

I found the promenade to be plenty of room and it was much more pleasant because it wasn't constantly humid in there. I didn't feel there was anything about the balcony room that warranted the $1,000+ price difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

from a value for money perspective, I agree ...