Champagne question about the beverag package

joeinsb

My wife and I haven't been on a cruise in some time because she has been undergoing treatment for cancer, but we have booked an Oceania cruise in July to celebrate the end of her treatment, and we plan to buy the top beverage package.

The last time we were on Oceania, we bought the Prestige package, and with that deal, we could get even the best champagne by the glass. At that time Oceania was serving Perrier & Joet at $18 a glass, but now they are serving a different brand as their top offering. I'm trying to determine if you can still get any glass of wine or champagne with the top beverage package. All the Oceania material says is "select wines'' or something to that effect, and I am unsure if that means you can still get any glass of wine or champange on the menu.

I'd appreciate it if recent cruisers could enlighten me. We would certainly like to toast a return to our old lifestyle with plenty of champagne on our upcoming cruise.

Edited by joeinsb
Typo in the headline

So sorry to hear about your wife's illness, we wish her only the best.

Stan and I are presently landlocked due to just such a situation with a family member, and also plan to return with a mighty roar.....or should that be a gurgle, via the Beverage Package when we get the much hoped for "All Clear".

At any rate, this is a link to the bar menu for the Prestige Package:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Menus/1694/Bar-Menu.pdf

which indicates that they are presently serving Montaudon Brut as the Champagne.

Edited by StanandJim

We took the Prestige Beverage Package (sounds awful!) on our first Oceania cruise and have bought it again for our next one.

I am rather partial to Kir Royales and I can get those with the package. Also champagne by the glass but I think the champagne offered in the bars is Montaudon from Reims. Perrier-Jouet is the one in the cooler when one arrives in one's suite. I did not see that on offer last time with the package. Which doesn't matter a whole lot because I dont like it much. (I prefer Veuve Cliquot but that is definitely NOT included in the package...)

All in all I really think the package is great value and it removes the nagging question of "do I really need this drink" ? Santé!!

I have just perused the bar menu and have found my usual choice of wine on the "prestige package" has been removed. It was a pouilly fuisse (sorry if sp not correct) and I am so disappointed. I do not like Hoffman 401K and La Terra even less. I am not surprised as the ship (on 3 different itins) ran out of it within a week. Hmmmm, yes we do the "package" as we think it is worth it but I was hoping for a nice Chardonnay. Oh well, there is always Martinis, XO, and perhaps try some new things. It's a T/A no need to drive anywhere:D

DOJO466, We just got off the Riviera and were quite upset to find that the pouille fuisse we had so enjoyed last year has been replaced by Macon Chaintre which, in our opinion is nowhere near as good. The pouille fuisse is available, but only if you buy it by the bottle. Sigh!

I have just perused the bar menu and have found my usual choice of wine on the "prestige package" has been removed. It was a pouilly fuisse (sorry if sp not correct) and I am so disappointed. I do not like Hoffman 401K and La Terra even less. I am not surprised as the ship (on 3 different itins) ran out of it within a week. Hmmmm, yes we do the "package" as we think it is worth it but I was hoping for a nice Chardonnay. Oh well, there is always Martinis, XO, and perhaps try some new things. It's a T/A no need to drive anywhere:D

Last year, O had Schramsberg Mirabelle as a sparkling wine choice. It sells very well in the SF Bay Area. And like so many NorCal sparklers, a great wine for a retail price (about $20) that shames European entries.

Also, I notice that you are from the northeast and don't like the Hoffman Chardonnay. Many of our NE friends shy away from the butter/oak attributes of some Sonoma/Napa/Mendocino Chardonnays. But, I think many O cruisers do/will find it a decent inexpensive dinner wine.

Also last year, there was a DonnaFugata white from Sicily -also cheap but drinkable and a welcome entry from an up and coming Sicilian winery.

Last year, O had Schramsberg Mirabelle as a sparkling wine choice. It sells very well in the SF Bay Area. And like so many NorCal sparklers, a great wine for a retail price (about $20) that shames European entries.

Also, I notice that you are from the northeast and don't like the Hoffman Chardonnay. Many of our NE friends shy away from the butter/oak attributes of some Sonoma/Napa/Mendocino Chardonnays. But, I think many O cruisers do/will find it a decent inexpensive dinner wine.

Also last year, there was a DonnaFugata white from Sicily -also cheap but drinkable and a welcome entry from an up and coming Sicilian winery.

I am a butter/oak person and do enjoy California wines, I just did not take to the 401K. Perhaps will try again, could have been just ?stale. . I did try Donna Fugata and it was pretty good.

I tried the 401K last cruise it was quite enjoyable to my uninitiated palate

I do prefer Perrier Jouet Have not tried the Veuve Cliquot yet though ;)

Well I shall try it again then 4 weeks from today. :D

On the Marina, two sparkling wines were offered on the package. Both the Shramsberg Mirabelle (a brut rose) and the Montaudon Brut is offered. Our concierge package granted us a bottle of the Jacquart.

The Macon, that is offered, is a decent crisp chardonnay this is unoaked. If one wants a bit of butter and wood then the 401K is the best option. It went nicely with my Lobster Thermidor in Jacques, and the lobster in the Terrace.

Do any of you know why some of the beverages on the bar menu are in bold-face type while the rest are not? Also, under some categories, the word "House Selection" appear underneath a beverage name. Does that mean the above beverage is the House Selection? If that's the answer, it seems odd that there is not a House Selection under every beverage category.

It appears to me that the bold font on the Bar Menu is there to give emphasis to some popular selections which people might be searching for when reading the menu prior to deciding if they should take the Prestige Package or not.

For the wines, I know that some vintners do require that their products receive "featured" billing, when advertised on a menu, so that may also be a part of it.

The "House Selection" appellation is seen only in connection with sparkling wine, and seemingly refers to the Schramsberg Mirabelle Brut. This may be a method of identifying that the Schramsberg is not a Champagne.

Edited by StanandJim

It appears to me that the bold font on the Bar Menu is there to give emphasis to some popular selections which people might be searching for when reading the menu prior to deciding if they should take the Prestige Package or not.

For the wines, I know that some vintners do require that their products receive "featured" billing, when advertised on a menu, so that may also be a part of it.

The "House Selection" appellation is seen only in connection with sparkling wine, and seemingly refers to the Schramsberg Mirabelle Brut. This may be a method of identifying that the Schramsberg is not a Champagne.

Thanks stanandjim! Makes sense to me. One more question. My wife is mostly a wine drinker and we're thinking about getting the 7 bottle package, but can't find much info at all about the selection, only some past posts by those who have bought it in the past.

One of those posts mentioned Perrier Jouet was offered. We're pretty fond of that chard/Pinot mix. Do you know any way to find what the offerings will be on O Marina?

Do you know any way to find what the offerings will be on O Marina?

My spies tell me that the Lists for those 7 bottle Packages are not released until the Sailing Day of each consecutive Cruise, so the short answer is no, they won't be pinned down in advance.

For what it is worth, I'd suggest that you have fun with the Package wines, rather than playing it safe. The price point won't have you opening a vein if you don't love every choice, and you may make a nice discovery.

-And sue me, but it does enliven even the dullest cocktail party if you can say, "We discovered this little gem while cruising off the coast of Crete......"

:p

The Perrier Jouet was not the sparkling/champagne offered on our cruise. I don't remember the sparkling offering. The package offerings were fairly disappointing overall. The ship's price of each was $42.50 for wines that none retail in excess of $20.

The Perrier Jouet was not the sparkling/champagne offered on our cruise. I don't remember the sparkling offering. The package offerings were fairly disappointing overall. The ship's price of each was $42.50 for wines that none retail in excess of $20.

The retail Price at a Warehouse Club in North America, has little validity in this discussion.

Let's talk about what it would cost to ship those bottles to Istanbul, or wherever you bought them from Oceania.

Using an apples to apples comparison, the Packages are both the easiest and least expensive alternative for most people.

Stan and Jim;

The cruise embarked in Sydney, with the next stop in Melbourne, Geelong, etc. Then we travelled to New Zealand, another great wine producing nation. Numerous opportunities existed, on this cruise, for the passengers to buy a long list of great wines, both of better quality and at prices fa reduced from those offered aboard.

To your point, I agree that O's ships sail to and from ports of call where the options of buying wine ashore are limited. In those instances, one is forced to pay the inflated prices that O charges. This is much like when visiting ports of call, with few sightseeing options than that O's land tours, one must pay the piper.

My comment should not be construed as not understanding O's logical charges for these luxury items. It is simply a statement that just like cruisers most typically being able to find a wide assortment of excellent small group tours from local providers, they can likewise typically find a far greater selection of excellent wines from local retailers than on the ship. Locations where this holds true includes both North and South America, Europe, Australia & New Zealand to list a few.

Just as I realize that some people enjoy the convenience of doing O's tours and don't mind paying the price differential for doing so, I realize that some have that same attitude about buying their wine aboard. I was only pointing out that cruisers should consider the options.

We recently returned from a 01/14 to 02/28 Marina cruise. We also did a Nov 2014 Marina cruise - Lisbon to BA. During these voyages, we saw the wine packages change numerous times based on sold out items. We had the same head sommelier for all of these itineraries and was told that was the reason for the change in the offerings. New listings would be delivered to your cabin/suite showing additions, deletions and repeats and not necessarily at the end/start of a voyage.

Also, please note the 7 bottle package is $297.50 ($42.50/bottle) including gratuity You cannot purchase any of these wines individually nor do any of them appear on the wine selection menu.

We recently returned from a 01/14 to 02/28 Marina cruise. We also did a Nov 2014 Marina cruise - Lisbon to BA. During these voyages, we saw the wine packages change numerous times based on sold out items. We had the same head sommelier for all of these itineraries and was told that was the reason for the change in the offerings. New listings would be delivered to your cabin/suite showing additions, deletions and repeats and not necessarily at the end/start of a voyage.

Also, please note the 7 bottle package is $297.50 ($42.50/bottle) including gratuity You cannot purchase any of these wines individually nor do any of them appear on the wine selection menu.

Thank you plimsol. Since you have been on Oceania and Marina in the past, I wanted your opinion (anyone else can chime in as well!). If one is primarily a wine drinker, my understanding of the beverage package options was either the House select or the 7 bottle. It seems that purchasing the 7 bottle package makes more sense if one is primarily a wine drinker IF one has access to those bottles at any time.

Since the House Select includes only beer and wine by the glass and only at lunch and dinner then having availability to your 7-bottle package at any time would be the better choice. That would only be the case if we would have access to the bottles at any time.

Do you know the rules on board? We are in Concierge Veranda. Does that make a difference regarding anytime availability? What say anyone on their recommendation(s)?

BTW, I plan to purchase the Prestige Select package, leaving the wine for my wife and for both of us to enjoy/sample at dinner

I love the more oak buttery Chardonnays! Call me old fashioned, but I dislike the new light fruity chards. Thanks for the recommendation.:D

I'm with you! When we first started cruising with Oceania, (2004 ish) La Crema was their house wine and it was heaven.

That was my favorite too. In fact it was at your suggestion that we try it.

As the resident wino, I love the oaky buttery chards with the lobster and some of the very rich sauces, while I like the more crisp citrusy chards, such as the Macon they serve, with the lighter and more delicate dishes where I don't want the oak and butter to override the flavor of the fish/dish.

In short, if it's good wine, I like them all! :)

My spies tell me that the Lists for those 7 bottle Packages are not released until the Sailing Day of each consecutive Cruise, so the short answer is no, they won't be pinned down in advance.

For what it is worth, I'd suggest that you have fun with the Package wines, rather than playing it safe. The price point won't have you opening a vein if you don't love every choice, and you may make a nice discovery.

-And sue me, but it does enliven even the dullest cocktail party if you can say, "We discovered this little gem while cruising off the coast of Crete......"

:p

Stanandjim. You have been kind and open with your bar opinions, so I thought that I would run this one by you:

Since you have been on Oceania and Marina in the past, I wanted your opinion (anyone else can chime in as well!). If one is primarily a wine drinker, my understanding of the beverage package options was either the House select or the 7 bottle. It seems that purchasing the 7 bottle package makes more sense if one is primarily a wine drinker IF one has access to those bottles at any time.

Since the House Select includes only beer and wine by the glass and only at lunch and dinner then having availability to your 7-bottle package at any time would be the better choice. That would only be the case if we would have access to the bottles at any time.

Do you know the rules on board? We are in Concierge Veranda. Does that make a difference regarding anytime availability? What say anyone on their recommendation(s)?

BTW, I plan to purchase the Prestige Select package, leaving the wine for my wife and for both of us to enjoy/sample at dinner