Amsterdaym - sight seeing

I was going to do a walking tour through the city of Amsterdam in the morning, and then hop a train to the windmills. I was wondering if anyone has used a taxi tour (hopefully from the cruise port) to do a tour of Amsterdam. I though I could save some time seeing the sites while riding rather than wasting time walking from site to site. Perhaps, it is better to walk. Anyone with any insight would be great. I am only in port for one full day and night and I want to see as much as possible. I plan to do a river cruise for dinner and then go to the red light district.

I'd be inclined to do a canal tour instead of or as well as a dinner cruise. It's not like a harbour cruise, the sights are up-close and they come by all the time - you don't want to be missing them while your mind is on in-boat things on a dinner-cruise.

If the weather's fine, the small open boats of ECO-Tours are waaaaay better than the larger glassed-in boats. About 30 people on a boat, everyone faces the side and has a good view, unobstructed by roof or superstructure or smoked glass. And an informative commentary by a captain with a dry wit. They also access the smaller canals impossible for larger boats such as your dinner-cruise boat. You're in Amsterdam, rather than just looking at it from a glassed-in boat..

Located near Centraal Station at the top of Damrak. They advise pre-booking, but that's a bit of a commitment before the day especially if you don't know what the weather's going to be. We turned up on spec. & struck lucky. But it's on your way from the cruise terminal to Dam Square etc, so if you're interested drop in on spec., and if they haven't got availability you can book for later in the day. One-hour tours in the larger glassed boats cost about 15 to 16 euros, ECO Tours 75 minute tours are 18 euros. Electric power - so no smelly emissions, or noise to drown the commentary.

A taxi isn't great in Amsterdam - many interesting streets, especially along the canals, are narrow and if a truck is delivering you sit & wait til he's done. Many sights are upward, one or other or both of you will miss them in a taxi. And altho most taxi drivers speak decent English, they won't have the useful tidbits of info that explain why the buildings & sights are as they are, and which a guide can give you. Why the houses are tall & narrow, why they lean forward & some lean sideways, the reasons for the various adornments, etc ad infinitum.

Not sure the windmills are worth the time if you only have the one day, there's a lot to see in Amsterdam.

Red Light district isn't worthwhile until after dark - around 9pm to 10pm is ideal for most folk.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Take's John B's advice, really really don't do a taxi!!

Expensive, close to being ripped off, no knowledge, lots of construction going on and heavy traffic, limited views on the sights, etc. You would be better off riding trams back and forth a couple of hours for the price of a day pass or renting a bicycle, but only if you feel confident enough to ride one in eh, assertive foot and bicycle traffic. :D

Make a canaltour by boat, so much better then a cab. You get explanations and the view from the water is so much nicer.