Best use of BofA points

I was able to get a balcony on the Adventure next June for only $815.00. When I saw that price I decided against the GS we always get. The price today for the lowest balcony was $1,335. GS's are around $2,000, which is still pretty good.

I have quite a few points and am trying to decide how best to use them. I have always used OBC before, but I don't earn the double points for the things we have used them for, drinks, dinner, tours, shopping etc. It is always nice to have that on board, but I am not sure it is the best use of the points.

My first question is; If I use them to pay down the cost of the already paid fare will my credit card be credited and will I lose the double points I got for that payment.

The second questions is; Since I am very close to 125,000 points on one card should I try and get a free cruise and then upgrade to a balcony? The problem is with all these sales the regular prices are a mystery.

Any advice would be appreciated. I want to make sure I am putting the points to the best use.

Legend of the Seas 2004: Mexican Rivera

Serenade of the Seas 2009: Alaska

Serenade of the Seas: Southern Caribbean 2011 B2B

Adventure of the Seas: June 2016, Souther Caribbean

Any credit from Royal to the Royal Visa card will lose you double points on that credit.

The 125K redemption cannot be used with 30/30 fares or balcony discount. So they will remove those discounts before they apply the "free" cruise redemption. Do the math, but it may be better to simply use a cruise discount or OBC.

Unfortunately RCL has made it so the only ways you can use the points are for OBC or to pay down the cruise. You can't use them for anything on any cruises with any RCL promo pricing.

Edited by molly361

Thank you. That is what I thought. If i use them to reduce the fare the cruise is not costing me very much. Airfare from the west coast will be the biggest expense.

If you don't want to lose the points by getting a credit, you can redeem for OBC. Since Visa Points OBC is refundable, you can ask for a cash refund on the last evening of the cruise. That way, nothing gets credited back to your credit card.

If you don't want to lose the points by getting a credit, you can redeem for OBC. Since Visa Points OBC is refundable, you can ask for a cash refund on the last evening of the cruise. That way, nothing gets credited back to your credit card.

If you don't ask for the cash refund will they credit it back to my credit card or do you lose it?

If you don't ask for the cash refund will they credit it back to my credit card or do you lose it?

If it's refundable OBC (which Visa Points still are), they will refund any credit back to your CC.

Any credit from Royal to the Royal Visa card will lose you double points on that credit.

The 125K redemption cannot be used with 30/30 fares or balcony discount. So they will remove those discounts before they apply the "free" cruise redemption. Do the math, but it may be better to simply use a cruise discount or OBC.

So is it safe to assume that 30/30 can't be combined with a 50,000 point redemption for a 3-4 day cruise?

Guess I missed that--thanks

I was told that you can't use points for anything other than OBC or money off your cruise fare on any bookings that have any kind of RCL promo on them, which is just about all reservations made in the past year or so.

Unfortunately RCL has made it so the only ways you can use the points are for OBC or to pay down the cruise. You can't use them for anything on any cruises with any RCL promo pricing.

We have always used our points (redeeming 50,000 points for $500) to pay down a balance on our cruises, even with promotional pricing. We plan to do that again on our upcoming Navigator cruise as well.

i am cruising next month with my "free" cruise. deck 2 oceanview was free plus little extra and the taxes & fees & the wife prepaid gratuities (i usually dont do that). booked interior room across hall for my 2 freeloaders (teens). just dumped the rest of my points as on board credits to cover drink package and excursions. not totally thrilled with the process because the promotional rates dont apply to your trip and no perks can be added. also was told at booking upgrades would be available but am now told thats not happening. this will be the 1st cruise i have been on where no upgrades were offered.

I am dumping this card for a jetblue card as soon as they switch away from amex.

good luck

if they will let you cash points out $500 at a time to pay off a promo rate trip then do that!

was NOT an option for us. I originally wanted 2 connected interior rooms and was told they would not do that. our w whole trip (less transportation) coulda been covered by points if that was the case but they shot me down.

Edited by ham_bone

I am dumping this card for a jetblue card as soon as they switch away from amex.

If you go to the websites that compare credit card offers (google best credit cards), none of those sites recommend any of the cards offered by the cruise lines. In fact, quite a few recommend against.

Best deal. Get a cash back card. Cash can always be combined with any promotion or offer. My M/C pays 3% cash back on travel, cruises included.

I called the redemption number this week to use some points that were about to expire. The rep advised me to pay the cruise in full since final payment is due in a couple of weeks. She said I would earn double points on the entire cruise price and they would refund the $500 from points I used. She said I would be able to keep the points even though there would be a refund to my card.

I thought it sounded fishy, but she assured me I wouldn't lose the points for the $500 refund. I've never known of any type of reward card that lets you keep points when there is a refund. Guess I'll found out soon. I don't hold out much hope she was right.

I called the redemption number this week to use some points that were about to expire. The rep advised me to pay the cruise in full since final payment is due in a couple of weeks. She said I would earn double points on the entire cruise price and they would refund the $500 from points I used. She said I would be able to keep the points even though there would be a refund to my card.

I thought it sounded fishy, but she assured me I wouldn't lose the points for the $500 refund. I've never known of any type of reward card that lets you keep points when there is a refund. Guess I'll found out soon. I don't hold out much hope she was right.

It's like the reps are trained to make up things to say to customers.:rolleyes:

It's like the reps are trained to make up things to say to customers.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, in many companies they aren't trained to make up things, they just learn to do it because other reps around them say things and are not stopped by supervisors.

My cruise next month was booked with one of the vintage NCCs, so I have $150 in OBC from that. I'm trying to decide if I should convert some of my Visa points to add to the OBC, but I don't want to end up losing some of it. If I end up with leftover OBC in the account at the end of the cruise, will that be considered refundable Visa OBC, or NCC-OBC that I lose?

My cruise next month was booked with one of the vintage NCCs, so I have $150 in OBC from that. I'm trying to decide if I should convert some of my Visa points to add to the OBC, but I don't want to end up losing some of it. If I end up with leftover OBC in the account at the end of the cruise, will that be considered refundable Visa OBC, or NCC-OBC that I lose?

The first $150 OBC (that you got from your NCC) is non-refundable but any of the OBC you put on from your Visa is refundable. RCL will use the $150 non refundable OBC first.

Bob, to clarify what you are saying, let me ask a couple questions.

1) If you have BOA apply $1000 OBC to your sailing and you only use $600, RCCL automatically apply the remaining $400 as credit to your Visa card balance?

2) Same situation, if you go to customer service on the ship and ask for it, they will refund the unused portion in cash?

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Bob, to clarify what you are saying, let me ask a couple questions.

1) If you have BOA apply $1000 OBC to your sailing and you only use $600, RCCL automatically apply the remaining $400 as credit to your Visa card balance?

2) Same situation, if you go to customer service on the ship and ask for it, they will refund the unused portion in cash?

Thanks in advance!

Tim

With regard to number 1, they will automatically refund any unused refundable OBC to the credit card you are using to secure your onboard account.

Yes, to #2, but I believe you can only do this on the last evening of the cruise.