What to do in Tampa?

travlin

Another vote for Ybor City. Cuban food to die for! We stayed at downtown Embassy suites using Hilton points and there is a trolley right in front of the hotel that takes you to Ybor and back. Easy shuttle to port from there also.

We stayed at the Westin in February before our cruise. Looking to book an Air BnB next year. We checked out Cigar City Brewing and Oxford Exchange while there. Soho Donut was great too!

we just spent a weekend in Tampa for a 'getaway' ... had a nice place right on Riverwalk ... getting around without a car is not something I'd recommend. While we actually did eat dinner both nites in Ybor (Columbia and La Terrazza) a big part of this decision was inability to get into other places without ressies made over a week in advance (last minute trip) {bummed we could not get into Bern's on short notice). Ybor is OK at night but not much for filling two days. I'd either get a car, or consider staying in St Pete, either on the beach or near the new downtown entertainment area .... (do not be temped by Tampa's 'Channelside' area ... it is DEAD. Hooters is one of the few remaining places open ....)

Roccos Tacos is going into the old Blue Martini spot at International Plaza.

I'd take Capt BJs advice and stay out on St. Pete Beach if you don't have a car. Tampa isn't really a walking town.

If you do stay in Ybor City (I doubt I'd AirBnB there), don't miss Columbia.

Another caution on Tampa not being a walking town. All of the below probably require a car.

If you like art there is a Salvador Dali museum in St. Pete. I have never been there but have heard that it's good if you like those sort of things.

We have annual passes to Busch Gardens. I love going there even though I don't do rides, the rest of my family does so it works out. If you are into outdoorsy things we kayaked at Weedon Island a few months ago, was a very cool adventure. Clearwater Beach is nice too, it has been ranked the nicest beach in Fla. in the past. Enjoy your trip.

We live by the cruise port. There are numerous hotels and restaurants downtown within walking distance. Hyde Park and Ybor City are both a short Uber or trolley ride away. We also have the Downtowner (free app} now that offers free rides in the downtown area. The Riverwalk downtown is nice also. There are a variety of kayaks, etc that can be rented. There is also a water taxi to take you aound town and a "shuttle" boat that goes to St. Pete. Times are very limited though. Busch Gardens is 15 minutes away. If you aren't wanting to go to the beach the downtown area is very doable without renting a car.

We are going to fly in two days before our cruise, but we don't want to rent a car. What area should we stay in for easy walks to restaurants etc? Or is there a hotel that is a destination itself?

Yes there are restaurants within walking distance from the hotels at the port and also the Aquarium which is beautiful. However, I would NOT recommend walking around at night or going to Ybor at night.