Cruise for My Wife's 50th Birthday

goodwin0812

I am trying to decide what cruise line to take my wife on for her 50th birthday. What are everyones suggestions?

If you would leave the Cruise line and pro's I would appreciate it.

We can go out of any port in the US.

Thanks Roger

Roger;

I can't comment on any lines other than Princess but we're from Alton IL and we enjoy getting out of the cold weather during the winter months and going someplace warm. We have only been to the caribbean, so we are limited there also. Princess cruises seem to be more of an older crowd and more sedate than what you sometimes hear about cruises. We've never had people running up and down the halls at two or three in the morning etc., etc. Not saying there's nothing to do and if that is what you want, some of the lounges are open until very early but we're just not into that. We always try to schedule our cruises when kids are in school so there aren't a million kids in every pool. It's just a nice get away for us to enjoy each other and to enjoy the islands. We are going again late next month and will be seeing the southern caribbean (Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominica, and St. Thomas). We are going out of Ft. Lauderdale. A couple of our earlier cruises went out of San Juan and that was nice as well - but a long flight and we had to come back thru Chicago during a snowstorm (what a mess). We waited a long time before our first also - my wife was worried about getting sea sick - but she's never had a problem at all. We also get a cabin with a balcony (and some of the decks have much larger balconies than others). We enjoy sitting out there on sea days, having coffee out there every morning, taking pictures as we come into ports and in general just enjoy the privacy they offer. We have found that the food isn't as "wonderful" as we had heard but don't get me wrong, it is excellent, just not quite what I had been led to believe. My wife likes the formal nights so I have to go - but personally I would rather not. In general, a cruise is what you make it. If you go with the intent to have a good time, you will thouroughly enjoy yourselves. And your attitude will rub off on others and they will have a better time too. The ship's crew are there to try and make it your best ever vacation and will do anything they can to make that happen. Wherever you cruise to, enjoy yourselves and make happy memories.

Jerry

Seeing your age group, I would suggest either Celebrity's S class ships or Princess. Those lines tend to be a bit more upscale, have better food and service, don't attract as many kids (unless you're planning a cruise during a school holiday time), and will provide a bit more elegant experience.

Mother and I are both in our 50's and enjoy either the Princess or Celebrity experience. Each has its pros and cons but to be honest I pretty much rate them equal. I give Princess the nod for ammenities provided in their suites and Celebrity a very slight edge in food only because they offer a couple of selections that we really enjoy that I have never seen on Princess. The wife gives the nod to Celebrity for their deserts. I seldom eat them so I can't comment personally. We are fortunate in that we are able to stay in a suite when we cruise so for the most part Princess gets our business these days.

If this is a first cruise for you I would suggest the Carribean for a couple of reasons. First this area of the world is the most cruised of anywhere and you are sure to find a date and length of cruise that will fit your needs. Anything from 3 - 14 days and more exists with virtually all of the major brands. Secondly, cruises in this area tend to be a little more "port" intensive. Seldom will you see more than 2 days at sea between ports. I love sea days and for that reason we tend to take longer cruises to more distant lands. I catch up on a years worth of reading on the annual cruise. I suggest cruises with more port stops because some people find sea days boring, although I fail to see why with everything that is offered on board from sunup till long after sundown. Also many like the adventure that a foreign place has to offer. Again this is all a matter of personal preference. Our next cruise is 28 days from LA to the South Pacific and back via Hawaii followed by a short 3 day trip up the west coast to Vancouver on the same ship for a total of 31 days, half of which will be spent at sea. The extra cost for the last 3 days was offset by having only a one hour flight home from Vancouver vice an entire day and the opportunity to spend a couple of days with my youngest daughter and hubby who live there.

You will find that the longer the cruise and the more exotic place it is going the higher the average age becomes. Short cruises especially over holiday periods tend more towards families and a younger single crowd. As with everything there are exceptions to the rule but this is certainly what I have experienced. On our last cruise to Asia we were the teen agers in our 50's. Part way thru the cruise it was announced that the average age on board was 66.5. Makes sence as it is the baby boomers with the time and the money to afford more exotic trips. The one hard and fast rule mother and I have is that we never cruise during the college spring break period which between Canada and the USA tends to be the latter part of Feb through the entire month of Mar. Just our preference.

My last piece of advice is to fly to your port of departure the day before your cruise especially if you live in a part of the country where winter weather can be a factor. Nothing could be worse than starting off your vacation with a weather delay and fretting over making the ship on time or "seeing the stern sail over the horizon" as you reach the peir. We came close once due to aircraft servicability issues in our early cruising years and vowed never again. There is still a man out there (who shall remain unnamed) that has three brand new pair of my underwear due to his bags not arriving on time for sail away. They caught up with him 4 days later in Hawaii. A good sleep with a full belly and a fresh start the morning of your cruise is the only way to go in my opinion. I hate stress! Now if the port is close and you are driving all of the above is a moot point for you. I'm land locked and it's pretty much a day of flying with connections to the major cruise ports on either coast.

Whatever you choose just go and enjoy!

Being that it is summer I too would avoid the Caribbean. Save that one for a winter break. Trans Atlantic would be a good choice but lots of sea days together, 4-6 or more depending on the routeing. Alaska could be an option. Weather will be as good as it gets, not more than 3 sea days in a row and stunning scenary if you have never been up that way. Seeing the glaciers calve is a sight to behold and sometimes feel depending on the size of the piece that just came off. Normally 7 days one way but the option always exists to go up and back for 14. If you opt for 14 book early so that you can keep the same cabin. That way you don't have to pack up and move half way thru the trip. Lots to see and do in Juneau and Skagway. If you go that way make sure you stop at the Red Onion Saloon in Skagway. Even in the height of tourist season you will find the locals there and some good music is always playing. Right on main st up from the wharf. Skagway is a sleepy little town of about 1200 most of the year. It can be busy with as many as 5 cruise ships there at a time although they try to keep it to less than that. Imagine the population of a town of 1200 growing to over 12,000 in a day.

Again, just pick a place and enjoy! You won't regret it for a moment.

I'd go with Alaska. You don't need an August hurricane spoiling your Caribbean cruise. If you really want to spend the bucks -- like $4000 apiece -- try Silversea Silver Shadow from Alaska, either Vancouver to Anchorage, or Anchorage to Vancouver depending on sailing date. There are lots of mainline and more affordable options. It is usually cheaper to fly into Seattle, but then you lose some time stopping in Vancouver. If you can fly into Vancouver, you'll see more of Alaska, and if you can do the one-way route of Vancouver to Anchorage, or vice-versa, you'll see the most of Alaska. Be sure to fly in the day before the cruise (or earlier than that if you want to spend time in the departure city). All of the major mainline cruiselines sail from either Seattle or Vancouver in August. I like Royal Caribbean, but you'll find them all. Tell us more about what you like. Food? Entertainment (what type)?

Of course, if you keep telling everyone she's turning 50, well, you might be cruising alone. ;)

I'd suggest booking the Alaska Inside Passage. My wife and I did that last year as our first cruise. At the time we were 58 and 59. We booked Princess and there was no hassle with a ton of kids or young party people. Our son, who was 36 at the time, also booked the same cruise. He found a small enclave of younger folks he hung out with later in the evening. The cruise was great, the food was great, the ship was great, the service was great.

If you want a more "active" cruise life don't book Princess. It's not a party line.

Archived