Port Canaveral to WDW

shopper77

Our ship docks at Port Canaveral at 7:30 we would like to get over to WDW as soon as possible without costing a fortune. My thinking is we could do express check off, and carry our luggage. We have that day in Disney, our return flight in not until the next day. We have made resv at WDW for the one night, so they will transport us to the airport that day. What is the best, faster way to get to WDW so we can enjoy the day. We have already have the ticket for the day due to a illness last year. And could not use them. We appreciate any help. Thanks!

Rent a one way car. Budget, Avis ,Alamo or any of the big guys rent one way for under $50. They pick you up at port you pick up a car, and off you go. Spend the day at WDW , then turn in the car at the airport . Easy

OOPs just reread your post and you will need two days car rental because your spending the night, or return the car first and take Disney bus back to park. What do you want to save most,, money or time!

Edited by jimdalva

Consider renting car one way from the rental company that has pickup at WDW. (I think it is Budget). I also find that for some hotels on property or close that the Downtown Disney offices are great too. You can drive to hotel and unload then one person takes car to return and drops off using WDW transportation back to hotel or directly to park. If too early to check in Disney will hold luggage and deliver it to room. I have also used the WDW transport system ship transfer and it is very good -- I was going from WDW to Disney ship then back to airport. Really does not take as long as renting a car does but is probably more pricey.

Have a wonderful time -- one of my favorite places on earth and I have never had my children not clear the calendar for Mouse Time -- so many happy memories of the over 30 times there (I do have a daughter who lives in Ft Lauderdale so they have Fl. resident pass). Give Minnie a hug for me.

Perhaps go to the WDW site and look for transportation options or on the Mom's panel -- lots of WDW material out there. Anything is possible in Mouse Land if you don't mind the prices:rolleyes:

Edited by Bowie MeMe

I agree with jimdalva.. if you are trying to save money - rent a car for one day and then use Disney shuttle.

If money is not an issue - hire a taxi/private transportation company from the port to WDW (you can request a transfer from the port to WDW park with a stop at the hotel to drop your luggage off). This option will be around $100 more expensive then the first one.

In this scenario , I would rent a car, drive to the park, leave your luggage in the car. Take a break mid afternoon from the Park, check in, leave luggage at resort, then take Disney transport back to your park.

Wake up extra soecial early in the morning, one person returns the car, (Avis at the doubletree will drive you back to your resort if you call them and arrange it). Then take Magic Express to airport.

I personally wouldn't check in first thing because there may be lines. The Deluxe lines move super duper fast....the value lines, at times can be torture (groups tend to stay there). Moderate resort check in line are moderate ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yeah, rental car is going to be your best option because of having luggage. You could get to WDW a bit earlier using a private car service or shuttle, but then what do you do with your luggage? You would have to go to the resort first and have them hold it for the day and then take Disney transportation to the park. That's likely to take longer than the time required to pick-up a rental car. Having a rental car allows you to go straight to the park and leave your luggage in the car. I would plan on at least 2 hours from the time you get off the ship to walking into the park. This will vary depending on what park you are going to. Generally takes a lot longer to get into MK from the parking lot than the other parks.

In this scenario , I would rent a car, drive to the park, leave your luggage in the car. Take a break mid afternoon from the Park, check in, leave luggage at resort, then take Disney transport back to your park.

Wake up extra soecial early in the morning, one person returns the car, (Avis at the doubletree will drive you back to your resort if you call them and arrange it). Then take Magic Express to airport.

I personally wouldn't check in first thing because there may be lines. The Deluxe lines move super duper fast....the value lines, at times can be torture (groups tend to stay there). Moderate resort check in line are moderate ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with all of this. That said, I would probably just keep the car for the extra day. Yes, there are rental places that will give you a ride, but you can sit there for up to an hour waiting for someone to free up to be able to drive you. In my opinion it seems like a lot of running around to save what, $35-40?

Also, often there are often "hourly rates" after the first 24 hours up to an additional 4-5 hours, so if you pick up at 8:00 am one day and drop off at 11:00 the next, you might only end up paying an extra $10-12. It might be worth looking into. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this question....with a long day in port at Port Canaveral, is it possible to do WDW? I'm so surprised there's no ship excursion!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't say impossible...but it's about 1-1/2 hours each way to Disney...would make for a long drive & a short visit in the park...and Disney is expensive, I wouldn't want to pay over $100pp and not have the whole day in the park...

I've tried the ports board to no avail....is it impossible to go to WDW as a port stop? We'd be in port from 1-11 pm. I'm surprised there's no ship tours to Disney....

Certainly not impossible but not very practical. Even under the best circumstances, you'd be lucky to get into the park before 3:00-3:30 and would have to leave NLT 8:00ish to ensure you get back to the ship on time. Disney tickets are now $100+....add in the cost of transport and it's really not worth the trip for only 4-5 hours in the park.

I've tried the ports board to no avail....is it impossible to go to WDW as a port stop? We'd be in port from 1-11 pm. I'm surprised there's no ship tours to Disney....

There are excursions TO WDW...transportation ones (the Disney Express, also to Universal called...dum dum dum... the Universal Express), not including admission. It may very well depend on the time of year. Disney is not always open late enough to make the trip worthwhile for something like a 1-11 timeframe.

It is possible, but not really worthwhile. As others have mentioned, the travel time is 1 1/2 hours. Also, if you are heading into the park after lunch time and it is not a "low crowd" season, it will be so crowded you will not be able to enjoy much at all. And if it is in a low crowd season, they will close early. Either way, it really limits your ability to see and do much there.

Also, in addition to the travel time, it can take upto an extra 45 min to actually get into some of the parks. Take Magic Kingdom, you are dropped off at the ticket and transportation center, you can take a Ferry or monorail to Magic Kingdom, them go thru security........

Really not worth it.

Sea Ya

Thanks everyone! Great responses and gives me the answer I needed! Similarly, I'm now perplexed why a port Canaveral is even an itinerary stop. Can't imagine Space center being so fascinating!?!?!

Thanks everyone! Great responses and gives me the answer I needed! Similarly, I'm now perplexed why a port Canaveral is even an itinerary stop. Can't imagine Space center being so fascinating!?!?!

Actually the space center is very interesting. Wish we could have seen more, but our young grandsons were done after 1/2 a day. It's a nice beach stop and some great manatee/kayak excursions. This excursion was absolutely wonderful.

The Space Center is awesome...especially the new Atlantis exhibit...and there are excursions to WDW and Universal, or at least there should be.....

There are lots of things to do in PC...Cocoa Beach, Jetty Park (very nice beach), shopping, KSC, WDW, Universal and more...Ron Jon's surf shop......

Is it a great place like an island somewhere? No, but you can find things to do...

mrodstad

Just saw you posted on the main RCI board and got your answer.

You may want to consider going to downtown Disney, if I remember right consist of shopping/restaurants. It's been a few years but I'm sure if you ask someone will be able to update.

I checked out the ships excursions and was surprised they were so limited...space center and not much else...def no beach or WDW or Universal....could they add them later? good solo rates on RCCL Brilliance abs brand new Anthem!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app