Review of Explorer from a 9 year old

rrkky

I thought I would post my daughters review. She made a journal entry every day of the cruise to share with her class. It may be interesting for other who are traveling with children of similar age. Enjoy!

On Saturday, Sept 17th, we drove to the airport. On the way the fog was so thick it covered up all the cars in our view. We could only see the lights. The lights were bright and shinny. It was so early, I woke up at 4:00 am, and we were driving at 5:00am.

On the plane I watched everything. First I got a drink and ate my blueberry muffin. I talked with my Aunt. I then looked out the window and looked for shapes in the clouds below us. I looked beyond the clouds and saw the land forms. We flew over lots of water. I took a nap and when I awoke we had landed at the airport in Ft. Lauderdale.

In Miami we went to the Everglades and learned about the environment. We took an Airboat ride and saw alligators. We each got to hold a real live alligator; I could not believe I held a live alligator. We each got an alligator tooth, it was gross. I can’t wait; tomorrow we get on the ship.

The first day on the ship my Mom and I went to the pool and listened to the band. The pool was 5’8” deep so I could not stand. We went to Cast Away party and danced as our ship left Miami. I met my pen pal Morgan, she is 9 and lives in Kansas City and is also a dancer. We had a fancy dinner the first night and every night of the cruise. I could order anything I wanted. We watched the parade on the Promenade and then at 11 o’clock at night we went to the ice rink Studio B and went skating.

On day 2 we woke up and we were going through Hurricane Rita. The hurricane was named after my mom (Rita). I got my sea legs, but my dad was very sick. The wind was blowing so hard that we would not walk on deck without bending over. Some of the doors were blocked to keep people from going outside. I spent the day at Kids Club where I met lots of new friends, kids from California, and Australia. I was in the 9-11 age group. At kids club we Sumo wrestled, arm wrestled, played tug-a-war, ring toss and toss the plates. In toss the plates you had to toss a plate and get it to land on the table. It was very hard. I stayed at the kids club for Late Night Party Zone.

On day 3 we woke up and were past the hurricane. In the morning we climbed the rock wall, went roller balding and went down the water slide all before lunch. We then went on shore in Puerto Rico. It was my Mom’s birthday and she was telling everyone she was 29 for the 10th time. She is really 39. We went shopping and she got a diamond ring and I got a tanzanite and diamond ring. On the ship we had a nice dinner and we had a birthday cake. We went to family trivia and then to family disco hour where my whole family danced to 70’s music. My favorite song was Dancing Queen.

On the fourth day of the cruise we went to St. Martian. We went to Bikini beach and rented boogie boards. The waves were really high so we tried to body surf. We got caught in the rain on the beach. The rain was cold. When the rain stopped we took a taxi back to the ship. We went to dinner and to Late Night Party Zone. While I was at Kids Club for Late Night Party Zone my mom and dad when shopping on the Promenade.

Our next port was St. Thomas. We took a taxi on St. Thomas to the Red Hook Ferry. We took the Ferry over the St. John; on St. John we took another taxi to Trunk Bay. I thought it was Trump Bay as in Donald Trump, but it is Trunk Bay. It was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. I have been on 4 cruises and this was the best beach of all. We went snorkeling and saw a huge fish, bigger than my brother Kole. We went also saw a school of fish, there were thousands of them swimming together. After snorkeling we went back to the beach. My brother’s friend Aaron buried me in the sand, and then we buried my brother. He was stuck and we had to dig him out. My Dad saw a jelly fish and the lifeguard picked it up and told us the purple on it is what stings and the jelly fish split into two pieces. The lifeguard said that it did not hurt the jellyfish that it would live like that. We ate lunch and then I looked for shells but did not find any. It was time to go back to the ship. After dinner we went to kids club and played Gaga Ball.

Day 6 was a sea day. I couldn’t believe it was the sixth day already…………but we have so many things to do. It was Kyle’s 12th birthday. I told him happy birthday many times. I spent to morning in Kids club. We did some fun science experiments. I was in the talent competition and had two acts. I danced with Morgan and I sang. I went to the pool with my friend Morgan and her Dad. I went to the kids club in the afternoon. At dinner they had our table decorated with balloons and flower petals. They brought Kyle a big birthday cake. We went to Kids Club after dinner and then met my Mom, Dad and Aunt at Maharaja’s for Family Karaoke. We sang Bohemian Rhapsody. I don’t think we were that good, but they gave us Survivor Buffs as a prize. After that we went back to Kids Club for one more Gaga Ball game, and then met my Mom and Dad for the Midnight Buffet. I got chocolate covered strawberries and cake and took it back to the room to eat it. The food was so cool.

On day seven I made the shell boxes while my Dad and brother and Aaron were in the dodge ball tournament. We then went to Nassau and went to the Atlantis Resort. We went down the water slide, saw the aquariums, went on the lazy river and did more water slides. After that we went to the straw market and had fun trying to get things for a good price. I bought a basket of shells. We went back to the ship and had a great dinner. After dinner we got spray on tattoos. I could not believe our cruise was over. Mom says that means that it is time to plan the next cruise.

I thought I would post my daughters review. She made a journal entry every day of the cruise to share with her class. It may be interesting for other who are traveling with children of similar age. Enjoy!

On Saturday, Sept 17th, we drove to the airport. On the way the fog was so thick it covered up all the cars in our view. We could only see the lights. The lights were bright and shinny. It was so early, I woke up at 4:00 am, and we were driving at 5:00am.

On the plane I watched everything. First I got a drink and ate my blueberry muffin. I talked with my Aunt. I then looked out the window and looked for shapes in the clouds below us. I looked beyond the clouds and saw the land forms. We flew over lots of water. I took a nap and when I awoke we had landed at the airport in Ft. Lauderdale.

In Miami we went to the Everglades and learned about the environment. We took an Airboat ride and saw alligators. We each got to hold a real live alligator; I could not believe I held a live alligator. We each got an alligator tooth, it was gross. I can’t wait; tomorrow we get on the ship.

The first day on the ship my Mom and I went to the pool and listened to the band. The pool was 5’8” deep so I could not stand. We went to Cast Away party and danced as our ship left Miami. I met my pen pal Morgan, she is 9 and lives in Kansas City and is also a dancer. We had a fancy dinner the first night and every night of the cruise. I could order anything I wanted. We watched the parade on the Promenade and then at 11 o’clock at night we went to the ice rink Studio B and went skating.

On day 2 we woke up and we were going through Hurricane Rita. The hurricane was named after my mom (Rita). I got my sea legs, but my dad was very sick. The wind was blowing so hard that we would not walk on deck without bending over. Some of the doors were blocked to keep people from going outside. I spent the day at Kids Club where I met lots of new friends, kids from California, and Australia. I was in the 9-11 age group. At kids club we Sumo wrestled, arm wrestled, played tug-a-war, ring toss and toss the plates. In toss the plates you had to toss a plate and get it to land on the table. It was very hard. I stayed at the kids club for Late Night Party Zone.

On day 3 we woke up and were past the hurricane. In the morning we climbed the rock wall, went roller balding and went down the water slide all before lunch. We then went on shore in Puerto Rico. It was my Mom’s birthday and she was telling everyone she was 29 for the 10th time. She is really 39. We went shopping and she got a diamond ring and I got a tanzanite and diamond ring. On the ship we had a nice dinner and we had a birthday cake. We went to family trivia and then to family disco hour where my whole family danced to 70’s music. My favorite song was Dancing Queen.

On the fourth day of the cruise we went to St. Martian. We went to Bikini beach and rented boogie boards. The waves were really high so we tried to body surf. We got caught in the rain on the beach. The rain was cold. When the rain stopped we took a taxi back to the ship. We went to dinner and to Late Night Party Zone. While I was at Kids Club for Late Night Party Zone my mom and dad when shopping on the Promenade.

Our next port was St. Thomas. We took a taxi on St. Thomas to the Red Hook Ferry. We took the Ferry over the St. John; on St. John we took another taxi to Trunk Bay. I thought it was Trump Bay as in Donald Trump, but it is Trunk Bay. It was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. I have been on 4 cruises and this was the best beach of all. We went snorkeling and saw a huge fish, bigger than my brother Kole. We went also saw a school of fish, there were thousands of them swimming together. After snorkeling we went back to the beach. My brother’s friend Aaron buried me in the sand, and then we buried my brother. He was stuck and we had to dig him out. My Dad saw a jelly fish and the lifeguard picked it up and told us the purple on it is what stings and the jelly fish split into two pieces. The lifeguard said that it did not hurt the jellyfish that it would live like that. We ate lunch and then I looked for shells but did not find any. It was time to go back to the ship. After dinner we went to kids club and played Gaga Ball.

Day 6 was a sea day. I couldn’t believe it was the sixth day already…………but we have so many things to do. It was Kyle’s 12th birthday. I told him happy birthday many times. I spent to morning in Kids club. We did some fun science experiments. I was in the talent competition and had two acts. I danced with Morgan and I sang. I went to the pool with my friend Morgan and her Dad. I went to the kids club in the afternoon. At dinner they had our table decorated with balloons and flower petals. They brought Kyle a big birthday cake. We went to Kids Club after dinner and then met my Mom, Dad and Aunt at Maharaja’s for Family Karaoke. We sang Bohemian Rhapsody. I don’t think we were that good, but they gave us Survivor Buffs as a prize. After that we went back to Kids Club for one more Gaga Ball game, and then met my Mom and Dad for the Midnight Buffet. I got chocolate covered strawberries and cake and took it back to the room to eat it. The food was so cool.

On day seven I made the shell boxes while my Dad and brother and Aaron were in the dodge ball tournament. We then went to Nassau and went to the Atlantis Resort. We went down the water slide, saw the aquariums, went on the lazy river and did more water slides. After that we went to the straw market and had fun trying to get things for a good price. I bought a basket of shells. We went back to the ship and had a great dinner. After dinner we got spray on tattoos. I could not believe our cruise was over. Mom says that means that it is time to plan the next cruise.

Very refreshing review. I love the perspectives of kids. No whining or complaining.

I just showed all of your comments to my daughter Kori who wrote the review. What a great suprise when she woke up this morning to find out that her review was online. She was so exited to read all of your replies. In her words "All I can say is WOW!"

Thanks for making her day.

One side benefit I have when cruising. Seeing someone else have a grand time. Your child is the type I would like to run in to on a cruise (of course, not physically). I will bet my bottom dollar, she was a model child who has been taught the cruise motto for children...."have fun and be courteous to the older passengers." Bet she says "please, thank you, sir, and mamm.

Glad she got to enjoy my favorite buffet...CHOCOLATE!!!

Great review. So glad she had a blast. I have three boys going in November and they are about to explode with excitement. They read the review and are looking forward to their time on the ship. My youngest said he hopes her dad is feeling better. He also added he hopes he dosen't get sick too. He seems worried about sea sickness and I have had to reassure him he will be fine.

That was real sweet, thanks for posting. I love "St. Martian"! And what a lucky girl to get such a beautiful ring as a gift when she is so young.

Sounds like she had a ball, and lots of her activities were with your family. Really a nice experience for her! Sounds as if she appreciated all of it, too. :)

Awesome review! I'm so glad she enjoyed the children's program. We will be on the Navigator in January and our 11yo son is wondering if he will enjoy the kids programs. He read this review and said "cool", which from him is great praise!

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

One thing we did, which was mentioned in Kori's review, is that she had a pen pal who she met via Cruise Critic. On the meet and mingle board we found another family that also had a 9 year old girl. We exchanged email addresses via the meet and mingle board and Kori and Morgan than emailed each other for about six weeks prior to the cruise. It was very special for Kori to meet her pen pal Morgan on the first day of the cruise.

One side benefit I have when cruising. Seeing someone else have a grand time. Your child is the type I would like to run in to on a cruise (of course, not physically). I will bet my bottom dollar, she was a model child who has been taught the cruise motto for children...."have fun and be courteous to the older passengers." Bet she says "please, thank you, sir, and mamm.

Glad she got to enjoy my favorite buffet...CHOCOLATE!!!

Yes, all three of my children know how to behave, and are polite and respectful to the passengers and crew. They have been taught that they get to do fun things and go to nice places, but the minute that they don't behave and don't appreciate what they have, is the minute they loose their priveleges. If they did not behave it would be their last cruise.

I have to say on this cruise, actually any of our cruises, I did not see a single child who was misbehaving. That may be why we choose to cruise in September. It is early enough in the school year that it does not effect exams etc, but there are not too many kids on board. Seems like we run into alot of home schooled children when we cruise in September.

What a lovely review and a GREAT idea... my DGD always sails with us and I'm going to use your idea and have her keep a diary on our upcoming Jan/06 trip. She is only 6 so her mom or I will have to act as scribes but still a delightful idea.

Thank you again!

Soooo, the Hurricane was named after you? I loved that comment:D

What a nice trip report, I hope she continues this with all her travels!

It reminds me of my sons first airplane ride, we got him his own disposable camera. I was thinking he was wasting his film, as he was snapping away. But, when we got it all developed, I saw it from his 5 year old point of view. The shuttle ride, the luggage carousel, the check in desk at the hotel, the rental car, his first room service order (hot chocolate with whipped cream!). We should all take the time to appreciate the little things in life!

Kori, thank you very much for taking the time to keep a journal of your cruise and sharing it with all of us here at Cruise Critic. I really enjoyed reading it, and I know I would enjoy cruising with you (and the rest of your family).

Thanks also to your Mom - she's obviously a very good one.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome review, Kori ! Another great perspective to show us what we can expect in only a few days -- it's cool that you were on the same itinerary that we will be on. Now I can't wait to see Mom's review, too.

I think we're going to take a taxi to Orient Beach in "St. Martian". I wonder if we should expect to see little green men on the one end of the beach instead of naked people ?

I agree with the "we're all 9 in our hearts" comment. I think I'm still 14 or so (49, really), so Kori's point of view clicked for me.

Archived