Restaurant in Waikiki

CoolChange37

We will be staying in Honolulu for a couple of nights prior to boarding the Pride of America. We have reservations for breakfast at Dukes one morning and a luau for one evening. Does anyone have any recommendations for a fun dinner (very laid back) for one evening that may be a "locals" joint or somewhere like that. Not interested in Hotel restaurants. Thanks so much in advance!

Don't rule out hotel restaurants until you've looked at "House Without a Key" at the Halekulani Hotel. It's a unique experience with a gorgeous location right on the water, with high ratings on Trip Advisor, Yelp, Google, etc.

Agree about House Without a Key. You can sit on the lanai, right by the sea, and listen to wonderful soft Hawaiian music and have a light or full dinner.

Also, Tiki's Bar and Grill on the second floor of the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel on the main street (Kalakaua Avenue) through Waikiki. Ocean views, upscale, very good food and Hawaiian musicians nightly. Being locals, we go frequently to both places.

A few more suggestions - - all in Waikiki. Duke's is probably the most popular and they take reservations. Yard House, Hula Grill on the second floor of the Outrigger Hotel (above Duke's) for breakfast and dinner, no lunch, Cheesecake Factory (laid back), Teddy's Bigger Burgers across from the zoo, Hard Rock Café, Eggs 'n Things (very popular with tourists and locals), Roy's (expensive, wonderful meals).

Thanks! We are booked for the breakfast buffet at Dukes the next morning, before our trip to Pearl Harbor. Then we are going to Chief's Luau that evening, so the first night is our "something quick and not too uptight" as we want to see the Torch Lighting Ceremony at the Hyatt before turning in for the evening....

Thanks! We are booked for the breakfast buffet at Dukes the next morning, before our trip to Pearl Harbor. Then we are going to Chief's Luau that evening, so the first night is our "something quick and not too uptight" as we want to see the Torch Lighting Ceremony at the Hyatt before turning in for the evening....

Then House Without a Key definately fits that description. It is at the very toney Halekulani Hotel, but is very laid back and full of Hawaiian flavor. Small groupings of chairs and small tables scattered across the lawn under a HUGE tree oceanfront or sit under the coverd Lanai. We made a meal on appetizers and MaiTais. No reservations. Come early. Live music under the tree starts at 5:30 I think. Former Miss Hawaii's hula periodically. Loved it!

We really enjoyed Dukes. We had the salad bar before our entree, but it was so good we could have just had the salad bar for dinner. Good drinks and a beautiful sunset. We were there in October so the sun set soon after 6:00 I believe. It was also Halloween night and the waiters were all in costumes. Very fun place.

I felt the same about not wanting a hotel restaurant, since we only have our first night after flying all day available for dinner. But the good folks on Trip Advisor convinced me that Tiki in the Aston Waikiki Beach (which is also, coincidentally, where we are staying for 2 nights pre-cruise) or Lulu's which is across the street would be great options. So that's what we're going with!

Hy's steakhouse is good fun, with the grill room for all to see, Augie singing, and a very good bar. It's on Kuhio ave.

Others which are in hotels are still enjoyable. Including House w/out a Key is at a great location, good live music, decent food, while La Mer, one of Oahu's top restaurants is on the same property.

Duke's is a fun beachside place as well.

Along Lewers there are several restaurants to choose from and not connected to a hotel.

Wow, I say that I do not go to Waikiki very often but I have enjoyed dining at each of the named establishments including a few on Lewers.

Have Fun!

something quick and laid back: Marukame Udon. It's on Kuhio Blvd., behind where the International Marketplace was (don't know if you can still walk Duke's Lane between Kuhio and Kalakaua. Cheap and good udon noodles and tempura. Kind of like a cafeteria of sorts: you line up with everyone, put your tray on the counter slide, tell the udon man which udon you want, watch it being made, slide down to the tempura and pick all that you want, slide down to the cashier and pay CASH for your meal. I've walked out of there totally stuffed and didn't pay over $10.

There is a website:

http://www.toridollusa.com/menu-waikiki.php

My favorite is the Ontama Bukkake Udon, with the egg on top!

I don't recall the name, but the revolving restaurant in Waikiki is a lot of fun, and IIRC the food was quite good. Google and Yelp should help out if it's still worth going to.

Top of Waikiki. They have TWO happy hour periods every night. I love it there.

Tanaka of Tokyo Central

Ask for Kris. Best tepanyaki show I've seen and he makes the food delicious.

Tanaka of Tokyo is a bit pricey, but I LOVE their food! There will be a tepanyaki style restaurant on the Pride of America, however.

Someone mentioned Hy's, it's also really expensive.

One of my favorite places, as a local, not too far from Waikiki (maybe a 15 min. taxi ride?) is Nico's Pier 38. It's a local favorite with super fresh fish and live music Friday and Saturday evenings. It's the place my husband and I usually end up on "date night" when we have a sitter. BUT it's not in Waikiki. In Waikiki we like Cheesecake Factory (prepare for a long wait for a table), Jimmy Buffet's, Duke's (for dinner or breakfast), and Teddy's Bigger Burger by the Zoo.

Top of Waikiki. They have TWO happy hour periods every night. I love it there.

Tanaka of Tokyo is a bit pricey, but I LOVE their food! There will be a tepanyaki style restaurant on the Pride of America, however.

Someone mentioned Hy's, it's also really expensive.

One of my favorite places, as a local, not too far from Waikiki (maybe a 15 min. taxi ride?) is Nico's Pier 38. It's a local favorite with super fresh fish and live music Friday and Saturday evenings. It's the place my husband and I usually end up on "date night" when we have a sitter. BUT it's not in Waikiki. In Waikiki we like Cheesecake Factory (prepare for a long wait for a table), Jimmy Buffet's, Duke's (for dinner or breakfast), and Teddy's Bigger Burger by the Zoo.

If you like Tanakas, def ask for Kris next time you go to Central. Hes amazing. Filet and scallops yummmmmmm. His food is awesome and the show is more than worth the money

Have you tried Uncles? I like it better than Nicos.

If you like Tanakas, def ask for Kris next time you go to Central. Hes amazing. Filet and scallops yummmmmmm. His food is awesome and the show is more than worth the money

Have you tried Uncles? I like it better than Nicos.

We like Uncle's, too, but I really like the Riesling at Nico's (along with the furikaki ahi). Nom nom nom I'm hungry now!

P.S. I usually ask to go to Tanaka's for my birthday LOL

Edited by AlohaPride

Our favorite low key, great food, open air Waikiki restaurant is Lulu's, you can visit their website at luluswaikiki.com, also check out their reviews on Trip Advisor. Nice views of the beach and Kapiolani Park. An order of Kalua pork nachos and a couple mai tais or beers are plenty for us for dinner. Have a great time. Cherie

IF you aren't looking for 4 star dining, but you want to experience something that may not be here next time you visit..check out La Mariana's:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60982-d434379-Reviews-La_Mariana_Restaurant_Bar-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

For a fun, relaxed atmosphere, good drinks and a great view of Diamond Head, check out the Shore Bird.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60982-d549382-Reviews-Shore_Bird_Restaurant_Beach_Bar-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

Hey La Mariana is on my to do list in October.

Is there a cheap way to get there and back rather than a taxi?

Planning on having a couple of Zombies, so dont want to drive a hire car there! :-)

Edited by mufc99

mufc99,

You could bus it from Waikiki towards the airport. There should be a stop near Sand Island Access. You would have to cross Nimitz and follow the Sand Island access road. Walk on the right side as if you were driving. It will go straight down and then curve to the left. Right there in the elbow of the curve, you should see a sign for La Mariana. You will go down to the right and it's along the water. You can't miss it.

La Mariana is a great tiki bar. We think it is a fun stop to or from the airport, if you do not want to do a taxi. I cannot imagine taking the bus down Nimitz and then walking to and from La Mariana after dark, maybe during daytime. It is industrial and not well traveled after dark. It is also not right off (within 200 feet) of Nimitz highway, check google maps. If you take a taxi from the airport to La Mariana when you arrive and then a taxi to the port after your zombies and meal the cost will not be that much more than a taxi from the airport to port/hotel, or vice versa. They seem to have space where bags can be kept while you enjoy the atmosphere, at least when we were there last November. Enjoy!!! Cherie

La Mariana is a great tiki bar. We think it is a fun stop to or from the airport, if you do not want to do a taxi. I cannot imagine taking the bus down Nimitz and then walking to and from La Mariana after dark, maybe during daytime. It is industrial and not well traveled after dark. It is also not right off (within 200 feet) of Nimitz highway, check google maps. If you take a taxi from the airport to La Mariana when you arrive and then a taxi to the port after your zombies and meal the cost will not be that much more than a taxi from the airport to port/hotel, or vice versa. They seem to have space where bags can be kept while you enjoy the atmosphere, at least when we were there last November. Enjoy!!! Cherie

Agreed....I wouldn't do it after dark. That would be an early dinner/late lunch kinda thing if you bus it. I've walked it...but it was during the day.

A taxi would probably run you about $25.00 from Waikiki.