PORT OF GALVESTON Biggest Increase

ssb

According to Port of Galveston Facebook page and cruiseindustrynews.com

Galveston Posts Biggest Business Increase of all U.S. Ports for 2015

May 25, 2016 rci-liberty-1-fill-600x399.jpg

Galveston, Texas, was one in a few U.S. ports posting passenger traffic increases for 2015, and the port’s growth easily outpaced that of its rivals, adding just under 400,000 more cruise passengers year-over-year, according to the 2016-2017 Cruise Industry News Annual Report.

Port traffic plays an important role in illustrating greater industry trends, capacity changes and regional hot and cold spots.

Other U.S. ports that posted notable increases for 2015 were Miami, San Juan, Seattle and San Francisco.

And Disney is coming back to Galveston in 2017!

Edited by ssb

I find this interesting because I had just thought to myself this morning that I am seeing more post about cruising out of Galveston. I wondered if maybe it just seemed that way BECAUSE I am soon cruising from there. :)

Well I think it's the new cruise lines trying with the other cruise lines have failed. Galveston and Houston are terrible ports to leave from. They are plagued with the leas one fog rolls in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well I think it's the new cruise lines trying with the other cruise lines have failed. Galveston and Houston are terrible ports to leave from. They are plagued with the leas one fog rolls in.

As is every other embarkation port on the Gulf of Mexico.

I'm so glad you think so. Now if you can just convince all the other people that come from far away places like Chicago perhaps the prices and crowds will both decrease. Then those of us who like both ports because of the value associated with the absence of air fare from our travel budgets will be able to afford more departures without so many unhappy travelers from elsewhere.

We experienced the fog on one of the three cruises we went on last year. The ship returned a night early. Dinner was still excellent. The after dinner show was still excellent. Our kids didn't notice we weren't still at sea. The crew were still attentive. I suppose serious gamblers might want to look elsewhere. Same with heavy drinkers and last minute shoppers. For us it was just no big deal.

I don't have a clue how much air fare is from Chicago to either Houston or Florida but if it's about the same I might choose Florida just for the different itineraries. Fortunately I don't have to factor that in.

what new cruiselines?

RCCL and CCL arnt new:confused::confused::confused:

don't have a clue how much air fare is from Chicago to either Houston or Florida but if it's about the same I might choose Florida just for the different itineraries.

right now for next winter Jan-Feb flight ORD to IAH run $225-385 pp (1 stop to my preference non-stop); ORD to FLL run $350-425 (again stops) -- all weeks are pretty much the same price - Xmas-New Year times obviously are higher

Of course in Galveston you must figure in the added cost and hassle of transportation that in this instance is offset by the flight cost difference -- i find the motels a little pricier at FFL, but again it depends on what level of accommodation you choose.

Cruises, 7 day, out of Galveston are the cheapest 7 day cruises RCCL has -- again this is offset by limited itinerary (2 routes basically) and one ship the liberty.

My experience on 2 cruises from there has been good - of course both those time we drove down (total gas cost -$250) once it was 5 of us (brought our teens, so significant savings on airfare) the other time just the 2 of us - this coming Feb we will be flying in.

JMHO - enjoy your holiday weekend

Perhaps they are referring to newer ships.

Princess has also let the Port know it wishes to return.

Where did you hear this.. I would love it if Princess would return, but my understanding was that both Princess and NCL were done with Houston sailings.

Where did you hear this.. I would love it if Princess would return, but my understanding was that both Princess and NCL were done with Houston sailings.

Houston is not Galveston

Princess would like to return to Galveston (reliable source)

Presently 4 ships are cruising out of Galveston

Disney returning also in 2017

Edited by ssb