Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Thank you so much, Lars, for all your great advice and insight. It is really, really appreciated. We are very excited about this vacation. We won't be leaving until next June, but I like to plan ahead and get things organized and clarified :). I hope you won't mind if I ask more questions in the future

Regards

Petra

I am happy to help - Ask as much as you like :)

I am a planner to so understand very well the importance to plan way in advance. Makes the wait for the cruise go faster.

I-Cruiser,

Thanks for all the information in the post! I read everything from the beginning! It is so nice to have someone in this post who lives in a port we will be visiting!

We plan to use the on/off bus in Alesund and would like to know the cost in Krones. I understand seniors over 67 get a discount in Norway. Does this include the on/off as well?? We have used these buses in many European ports and they work great for us!! We are also planning in using the on/off buses in Bergen and Geiranger. I know you mentioned Geiranger's on/off bus in one of your posts. I have copied and pasted many of your suggestions into a Word document!

You will love Azamara! As you can see below, we have done many of them. Price is the reason we are not sailing with them on this cruise to Norway!!!

Do you have any suggestions for private tours in any of these ports: Trondheim, Leknes, Tromso, Hammerfest, Honningsvag, and Molde. I did check out 62 Nord. but most of those tours seem rather strenuous.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Anne

I am happy to help - Ask as much as you like :)

I am a planner to so understand very well the importance to plan way in advance. Makes the wait for the cruise go faster.

Hello I-Cruiser!

Well I have searched but just not coming up with exactly what I am looking for. I am so sorry if this has already been answered 100 times.:o

We are on the Caribbean Princess June 12 for the North Cape and Summer Solstice 15 day cruise.Princess dropped Geiranger and added Andalsnes when they went from 14 to 15 days.:( I am disappointed as I really wanted to see Geiranger Fjord. I would still like to get to Geiranger but have not been able to figure out how to do it within our time constraints.We rarely take ship excursions. We will be in Andalsnes 8 am to 6 PM and Alesund 8 Am to 5 PM. is it possible to see Geiranger from either of these ports or can you make a suggestion as to another port we could travel from.Our ports are Stavenger,Flaam,Olden,,Andalsnes,Trondheim,North Cape,Tromso,Gravdal,Alesund,Bergen.

Thank you so much for your help!!!It is so nice of you to help everyone.

Petra - Our cruise was really enjoyable. Loved every minute of it. Thank you for asking.

It seems like you did the right thing jumping ship.

Doing the Trollstigen and Geiranger is really easy from Aandalsnes.

The ferries you need to take goes constantly and take no more than 10-15 minutes to cross the fjord.

You do not need to purchase tickets in advance. A ticket guy will come to collect the fare either before you board or when onboard. You can pay with card or cash.

The ferry system is a well oiled machinery so everything goes smooth and fast.

The tickets system works like this:

The ticket for the car includes the driver. Others are extra.

(If you are 2 in the car you would say: "Car and one".

The price for a one way for (car and one:)) is approx NOK 100-140 depending on the length of the ferry ride.

If you are doing all the tours you are planning you will for sure have an amazing time making lots of great memories.

Lars

Hi Lars, we are also planning to do the Trollstigen and Gerianger from Andalsnes with a hire car. Can you tell me what sort of time scale we would be looking at? And would we have time to do the waterfall walk while in Gerianger (docked from 8am - 6pm but planning on 9am - 5pm to be sure to be back in time!) Also, if you don't mind, what would you say is the best route to take?

Thanks.

Hi Lars, we are also planning to do the Trollstigen and Gerianger from Andalsnes with a hire car. Can you tell me what sort of time scale we would be looking at? And would we have time to do the waterfall walk while in Gerianger (docked from 8am - 6pm but planning on 9am - 5pm to be sure to be back in time!) Also, if you don't mind, what would you say is the best route to take?

Thanks.

Hi again! On checking on google maps, it is giving me approx. 6 hours round trip. This is a bit tight for us as we like to be able to take our time and make lots of photo stops. Google maps will only send us on the 136 and not the 63. Do you know if there is a reason for this? If we went on the 63, would it be quicker? If Gerianger turns out to be too far, can you recommend another place to drive to from Andalsnes, after driving the Trollstigen, that is not so far?

Thanks again.

Hi again! On checking on google maps, it is giving me approx. 6 hours round trip. This is a bit tight for us as we like to be able to take our time and make lots of photo stops. Google maps will only send us on the 136 and not the 63. Do you know if there is a reason for this? If we went on the 63, would it be quicker? If Gerianger turns out to be too far, can you recommend another place to drive to from Andalsnes, after driving the Trollstigen, that is not so far?

Thanks again.

Hi there - The reason google maps will not allocate you the Rd 63 is because the road is now closed until the spring.

Also, the road you will have to take in order to get to Trollstigen is closed as a huge part of one of the mountains are expected to fall out. All traffic and people in the near area has been evacuated.

From Andalsnes to Trollstigen it will take 30 minutes. From Trollstigen to Geiranger it would take another 1,5 hours without stops. The trip will take approx 2 hrs each way.

I would suggest to stop at Trollstigen plateau for 20 minutes. Gudbrandjuvet Gorge for 15 minutes. In Geiranger you should really use at least 2 hours to make it justice.

You can make quicker photo stops but I understand that you prefer to take your time. I do not like to rush thing myself so understand totally.

Other tours to do in Åndalsnes would as you know include Trollstigen. Trollveggen (The Trollwall mountain) which is Europe's largest vertical wall would also be interesting.

You may would want to drive over the mountain (Rd 63) to Valldall and the Gudbrandsjuvet gorge. Venture further to Tafjord.

There nothing much to see except stunning nature and scenery

I am sure you will have a lovely day even thought you might not make it to Geiranger.

I-Cruiser,

Thanks for all the information in the post! I read everything from the beginning! It is so nice to have someone in this post who lives in a port we will be visiting!

We plan to use the on/off bus in Alesund and would like to know the cost in Krones. I understand seniors over 67 get a discount in Norway. Does this include the on/off as well?? We have used these buses in many European ports and they work great for us!! We are also planning in using the on/off buses in Bergen and Geiranger. I know you mentioned Geiranger's on/off bus in one of your posts. I have copied and pasted many of your suggestions into a Word document!

You will love Azamara! As you can see below, we have done many of them. Price is the reason we are not sailing with them on this cruise to Norway!!!

Do you have any suggestions for private tours in any of these ports: Trondheim, Leknes, Tromso, Hammerfest, Honningsvag, and Molde. I did check out 62 Nord. but most of those tours seem rather strenuous.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Anne

Hi Anne - Thank you so much for the nice comments.

I am really looking forward to try Azamara - smaller ships with better service sounds just about right to me:)

The prices for the bus this year was NOK 200,- per person. As far as I can tell they did not honor senior discounts. They did/do however give you a 10% discount if you book their bus in another port.

I have to think about tours in the other ports you mentioned.

In Molde you could do the Atlanterhavs veien/The Atlantic road and the little village of Bud.

The road is hailed to be one of the greatest in Europe. This year they also added a new scenic walk all the way out into the ocean.

Others who has done this tour are raving about it.

Lars

Hi there - The reason google maps will not allocate you the Rd 63 is because the road is now closed until the spring.

Also, the road you will have to take in order to get to Trollstigen is closed as a huge part of one of the mountains are expected to fall out. All traffic and people in the near area has been evacuated.

From Andalsnes to Trollstigen it will take 30 minutes. From Trollstigen to Geiranger it would take another 1,5 hours without stops. The trip will take approx 2 hrs each way.

I would suggest to stop at Trollstigen plateau for 20 minutes. Gudbrandjuvet Gorge for 15 minutes. In Geiranger you should really use at least 2 hours to make it justice.

You can make quicker photo stops but I understand that you prefer to take your time. I do not like to rush thing myself so understand totally.

Other tours to do in Åndalsnes would as you know include Trollstigen. Trollveggen (The Trollwall mountain) which is Europe's largest vertical wall would also be interesting.

You may would want to drive over the mountain (Rd 63) to Valldall and the Gudbrandsjuvet gorge. Venture further to Tafjord.

There nothing much to see except stunning nature and scenery

I am sure you will have a lovely day even thought you might not make it to Geiranger.

Ah, thanks very much. If it is two hours each way, that will give us 4 hours to take photos and look around Geiranger. I think we will try for that and if it is taking us too long to get there, we can just turn back. We are there in mid June 2015 so I would assume the road will be open by then?

I appreciate you taking the time to give your opinion. I have read through the whole thread and will be taking several of your other suggestions up during our cruise.

Thanks again.:)

Lars,

Thanks for the information on the on/off bus. I have saved receipts from other ports in Europe for the Sightseeing Tours and they do honor them for a discount. Will check out the Molde tour you suggested.

Looking forward to any other suggestions for our June cruise in Norway!

Thanks again,

Anne

Lars,

Thanks for the information on the on/off bus. I have saved receipts from other ports in Europe for the Sightseeing Tours and they do honor them for a discount. Will check out the Molde tour you suggested.

Looking forward to any other suggestions for our June cruise in Norway!

Thanks again,

Anne

Anne - you asked about these ports: Trondheim, Leknes, Tromso, Hammerfest, Honningsvag, and Molde.

These ports are not those I know the most about but here is a few links to what to do:

Leknes:

http://www.arcticguideservice.com/activities/excursions-in-lofoten

Tromsø:

http://www.visitnorway.com/us/where-to-go-us/northern-norway/tromso/what-to-do/

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Norway/Troms_Region/Tromsoe-210585/Things_To_Do-Tromsoe-TG-C-1.html

Hammerfest:

http://www.hammerfest-turist.no/en/

Honningsvag:

Its the town for Northcape.

Trondheim:

is one of my favorite cities in Norway. Its only a 5-6 hours drive from where we live so try to make the journey a few times a year.

http://www.trondheim.no/twentythings/

http://www.visitnorway.com/us/where-to-go-us/central/trondheim/what-to-do-in-trondheim/

I hope this helps a little. Its been a while since I visited Northern Norway. It sure is a very fascinating part of the country.

Lars

Hello I-Cruiser,

How can we get from Alesund to Geiranger traveling through the Fjord? We are in port from 8 am to 5pm. I do not want to drive it. Is there a boat company that does this cruise? Thank you!

Hello there:) From your signature I understand you will be in Norway in June.

Some companies does not start operating before mid June.

Not many companies do sail this route as the its easily a 3-5 hrs sailing each way.

Hurtigruten (http://www.hurtigruten.no) does, from June 1, sail Ålesund/Geiranger/Ålesund.

The sailing in/out the fjords takes 9 hours. Leaves Ålesund at 0930 am. Arrives Geiranger at 130 pm and arrives back in Ålesund at 630 pm.

This options will arrive back to late for your sailing but you could do the sailing from Ålesund-Geiranger. Sailing time 4 hrs.

Then take a car (private car or rental) back to Ålesund.

There is a bus but the journey takes 3-4 hrs so you will not make it back on time.

A company called http://www.62.no/ does boat trips. Their website seem to have gone into "winter activities" mode but you could be able to send them a request.

There are other options but they will include a car rental/private tour.

Lars

Edited by I-Cruiser

Ah, thanks very much. If it is two hours each way, that will give us 4 hours to take photos and look around Geiranger. I think we will try for that and if it is taking us too long to get there, we can just turn back. We are there in mid June 2015 so I would assume the road will be open by then?

I appreciate you taking the time to give your opinion. I have read through the whole thread and will be taking several of your other suggestions up during our cruise.

Thanks again.:)

The Trollstigen road usually opens in mid May. All depending on how mild or snowy the winter has been.

By June you will be fine.

Have fun planning:)

Lars

Hi Lars,

Thanks again for the links in our ports of call. I have saved them all in my "favorites" for this cruise.

Looking forward to researching these links after the first of the year. We have a cruise in Dec. which is taking up our time now.

You are saving me a lot of time searching! Many thanks!

Anne

Hi Lars,

Thanks again for the links in our ports of call. I have saved them all in my "favorites" for this cruise.

Looking forward to researching these links after the first of the year. We have a cruise in Dec. which is taking up our time now.

You are saving me a lot of time searching! Many thanks!

Anne

I wish I had some better answers for you but hope the links can be useful.

Regarding Trondheim I include a CC link to a thread about the named city.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1807999

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible to rent a taxi to get up to Mtn. Dalsnibba and later be dropped off so we can hike to the Falls and walk back to the city of Geiranger. We will be in port May 14th. We are just very concerned about the gates at the Mtn. top being closed to taxis. Bev

Is it possible to rent a taxi to get up to Mtn. Dalsnibba and later be dropped off so we can hike to the Falls and walk back to the city of Geiranger. We will be in port May 14th. We are just very concerned about the gates at the Mtn. top being closed to taxis. Bev

Yes, you can rent a taxi in Geiranger to go to Mt. Dalsnibba. Since you are there May 14 the road up might/most likely still be closed. It will all depend on what kind of winter we will be getting.

I will update this thread as to when the road will open. Usually we will know less then 2-3 weeks before.

This year the road opened May 7 and statistically the road opens mid to late May. So you might be in luck.

If I were you I would pre book a taxi.

http://www.geirangertaxi.no/en-GB/Default.aspx

Lars:)

how is the weather in May? Thanks.

Very Changeable as it is still early spring.

In the first 2 weeks of May it can be cold with temps around 9-12C. Further North colder and maybe with some snow.

The last part of May can be very pleasant with sunny days and temps up to 18C.

You should expect rain and fog at any given time and for any given length.

In regards to packing I would dress in layers. Bring along a windbreaker, wool jumper maybe even scarf, hat and cloves..

Edited by I-Cruiser

Thanks for the weather info. Any suggestions for tours that don't require steep hills or a lot of walking up hill, etc. we have trouble walking. thanks.

There are lots of bus tours where you do not need to do much walking. Also some towns offer the hop on/off buses.

There will always be some walking involved on uneven surfaces.

I suppose it would depend on which ports you are visiting.