UK Rail Advice Please

TMLAalum

We will be taking the train from Southampton to Manchester airport where we will pick up a rental car for 2 weeks of travel in Yorkshire & the Lakes District. It's too soon to book for May, but hypothetically our options would be:

Depart 09:47/arrive 14:35 4h 48m total time change at Birmingham & Manchester Picadilly

Depart 08:15/arrive 13:20 5h 05m change at Manchester Picadilly (same itinerary available at 9:15)

Looks to be that it's a bus from Man Pic to the airport. If that 's the case, would it be better to take a cab from Manchester Picadilly direct to the car rental site which is off-airport? There are 4 of us with luggage post-cruise- what would be a ballpark figure for the cab?

The same option as the 8:15 is available at 9:15. If we self disembark from the Eclipse could we make the earlier train? How easy is it to get a cab from the cruise terminal upon disembarking? The two connection option appears to be cheaper, but I believe we won't be able to book until @ 12 weeks out-is that correct?

Thanks British CC experts!

Edited by TMLAalum

We will be taking the train from Southampton to Manchester airport where we will pick up a rental car for 2 weeks of travel in Yorkshire & the Lakes District. It's too soon to book for May, but hypothetically our options would be:

Depart 09:47/arrive 14:35 4h 48m total time change at Birmingham & Manchester Picadilly

Depart 08:15/arrive 13:20 5h 05m change at Manchester Picadilly (same itinerary available at 9:15)

Looks to be that it's a bus from Man Pic to the airport. If that 's the case, would it be better to take a cab from Manchester Picadilly direct to the car rental site which is off-airport? There are 4 of us with luggage post-cruise- what would be a ballpark figure for the cab?

The same option as the 8:15 is available at 9:15. If we self disembark from the Eclipse could we make the earlier train? How easy is it to get a cab from the cruise terminal upon disembarking? The two connection option appears to be cheaper, but I believe we won't be able to book until @ 12 weeks out-is that correct?

Thanks British CC experts!

Might sound a silly question, but why are you taking the train to Manchester to pick up the hire car?

Is it because you are flying out from Manchester and want to avoid one way hire charges?

If not, then why not pick up hire car in Southampton. It is divided highway all the way from Southampton to the to point you would merge with your route from Manchester airport, though you will queue through Birmingham unless you take the toll road (we always do).

If it is because you don't fancy the long drive but have no need to try to avoid a one way fare then why not pick up the car at Birmingham Airport. I say this because your train will call at Birmingham International thereby avoiding the issue of how to get from the middle off Manchester to the airport.

There is local frequent train service between the airport and Manchester Picadilly. Links are on the Manchester Airport website. Where is your car rental location? Some are quite a distance from the airport.... We find it easier to use an agency that is on-site at MAN.

There is local frequent train service between the airport and Manchester Picadilly. Links are on the Manchester Airport website. Where is your car rental location? Some are quite a distance from the airport.... We find it easier to use an agency that is on-site at MAN.

There is also the New Metrolink service to the Airport, Piccadilly to Cornbrook, then Cornbrook to Manchester Airport.

I would find it easier on the Metrolink if I had a lot of Baggage rather than the Train even with the Change of Trams.

Is it because you are flying out from Manchester and want to avoid one way hire charges?

Yes, we are flying home from MAN

There is also the New Metrolink service to the Airport, Piccadilly to Cornbrook, then Cornbrook to Manchester Airport.

I would find it easier on the Metrolink if I had a lot of Baggage rather than the Train even with the Change of Trams.

Hopefully not too much baggage, but there will be four of us, which would cut down the taxi cost if we go that route.

Some are quite a distance from the airport.... We find it easier to use an agency that is on-site at MAN.

We are with Alamo:

Manchester Airport Car Rental Centre

Ringway Road

I figure the setup at MAN is comparable to that in PHX or LAS, with a shuttle to take us from the airport to the center. Are there car hire services with counters/car pick-up right in the terminal? The price we got for an automatic Passat is the reason we chose Alamo.

Since we're taking the train from Southampton, it would save a step and lots of schlep to taxi or book a service direct to the Car Rental Centre, I'm starting to think...

Another thought: Why don't you explore renting from a Manchester city centre location? It would save you schlepping out to the airport after your train gets to Manchester, but it's close enough that there may well be no extra fees for dropping off at Manchester airport at the end.

Can't help with the Manchester end, but unassisted disembarkation from Eclipse is normally by 7am, standard disembarkation from 7.30 to 9.00.

Disembarkation is usually quite quick & taxis lined-up at the pier, but use unassisted early disembarkation to be sure of avoiding any lines for disembarkation or taxis.

From Celebrity's terminal (City Cruise Terminal) to the station is only five minutes, even less if all the traffic lights are green. Tell your driver the destination of your train & he'll drop you at the most convenient side of the station.

So with unassisted disembarkation you'd almost certainly make the 8.15 direct to Manchester Piccadilly. But because of the almost, I'd suggest paying the £3.50 extra for an "anytime" ticket.

But the 9.47 is under a third of the price!! £31.70 vs £104.50

For the inconvenience of just one change of train, at Birmingham.

I know which I'd take ;)

The £26 trains go via London, and involve crossing central London from Waterloo to Paddington. By included tube, or by paying for a taxi.

An inconvenient & uneconomic way of cheap-skating.

If I can't dissuade you from taking the direct train, you might want to consider a direct flight from Southampton airport to Manchester Airport with

http://www.flybe.com/

The cost, including 40kg luggage per person, is about the same as the direct train.

But add about £15 for a pre-booked transfer from ship to So'ton airport.

JB :)

Globaliser: Investigating off-airport car rental prices is a good idea! We saved beaucoup bucks last Christmas by renting at an Enterprise location about 2 miles from its airport site in Pensacola FL.

Alaskanb: Thanks for the tip about Arrow.

John Bull: Lots of food for thought from you...I can't find pricing for May using this site: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/. But doing a dummy booking I did note the much lower price for the Birmingham connection option, although the direct train to Man Pic was running only at @50 GBP 3 months hence. I do like the idea of the small extra fee if we decide on the 8:15 and can't make it. We'll be using Flybe from CDG-SOU, could consider it to get to MAN, but like the idea of viewing the English countryside from the train.

Thanks again, everyone!

Edited by TMLAalum

I can't find pricing for May using this site: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/.

Timetables/prices are normally from about 12 weeks out.

Use an earlier date, same-day-of-the-week, for research. On your date the timetable is likely to be the same, the main annual review of fares is January plus some adjustments in May & September.

JB :)

• 2 weeks later...

You will be able to book right through to Manchester airport on the one ticket (not always the cheapest option). Trains from Manchester to the airport are very frequent and quick.

However, the train from Southampton to Manchetser is likely to be very busy especially if a few cruise ships are docked that day and luggage space is limited although you should in theory be able to book seats FOC.

Personally I would go with the Flybe option to Manchester, they often have sales which would make the journey cheaper just sign up for there email updates or if the fare is cheap now then you will be able to book now. Just watch that you only pay for the add ons you want though.

You will be able to book right through to Manchester airport on the one ticket (not always the cheapest option). Trains from Manchester to the airport are very frequent and quick.

However, the train from Southampton to Manchetser is likely to be very busy especially if a few cruise ships are docked that day and luggage space is limited although you should in theory be able to book seats FOC.

Personally I would go with the Flybe option to Manchester, they often have sales which would make the journey cheaper just sign up for there email updates or if the fare is cheap now then you will be able to book now. Just watch that you only pay for the add ons you want though.

Thanks to your tip, Ellan, I did check out Flybe this morning.

Unfortunately, the flight times SOU-MAN don't work for the day we disembark in Southampton. The first is very early and it would be very questionable if we could make it; the second doesn't depart until nearly 5 pm, and once we pick up our rental car we still have a long drive (2hrs?) to Thirsk in Yorkshire.

Fortunately, I found that Flybe has a sale going on until November 25th and we have not yet booked our flights from CDG-SOU! Hopefully we will save a few dollars that can be spent in Paris!

Edited by TMLAalum

Thanks to your tip, Ellan, I did check out Flybe this morning.

Unfortunately, the flight times SOU-MAN don't work for the day we disembark in Southampton. The first is very early and it would be very questionable if we could make it; the second doesn't depart until nearly 5 pm, and once we pick up our rental car we still have a long drive (2hrs?) to Thirsk in Yorkshire.

Fortunately, I found that Flybe has a sale going on until November 25th and we have not yet booked our flights from CDG-SOU! Hopefully we will save a few dollars that can be spent in Paris!

you mention going to Thirsk in North East-is that the start of your Yorkshire/Lake district trip?

I ask because an alternative is the get train from Southampton To London then catch an East Coast train to Northallerton or Darlington which are near Thirsk and pick up rental car there.It would involve getting across London from[i think] Paddington to Kings Cross

Alternatively flybe also fly to Newcastle airport from Southampton and that is just over an hour drive south to Thirsk from there[in good traffic]

... and once we pick up our rental car we still have a long drive (2hrs?) to Thirsk in Yorkshire.
you mention going to Thirsk in North East-is that the start of your Yorkshire/Lake district trip?

I ask because an alternative is the get train from Southampton To London then catch an East Coast train to Northallerton or Darlington which are near Thirsk and pick up rental car there.It would involve getting across London from[i think] Paddington to Kings Cross

It would be 1¼ hours on a fast train from Southampton to Waterloo, about 20 minutes in a cab across to Kings Cross, and then a train north from there. Thirsk has its own station and even the occasional direct train from Kings Cross, although more often you change at York (which is about 1¾ hrs from London). Barring only one factor, it seems to me that all of these routes would be more sensible than taking 5 hours or so on the train from Southampton to Manchester and then driving another two hours to Thirsk.

The only factor that might cause complications is the fact that the rental car may incur a one-way fee if not dropped in the same place as it's picked up. Each potential rental location would have to be asked about this. But if a one-way fee would be unavoidable, then one possible solution is to take the train from Kings Cross to Leeds (about 2¼ hours) and pick up the car there. Drop the car back in Leeds at the end and take the train to Manchester Airport (about 1¼ hours direct).

Alternatively flybe also fly to Newcastle airport from Southampton and that is just over an hour drive south to Thirsk from there[in good traffic]

Both IMHO good ideas, but I think the problem is that the OP wants to drop off a rental car at Manchester and is trying to avoid one-way car hire charges.

Personally, I think the OP is focussing on the wrong factors, but that doesn't mean the strategy is wrong for them. Avis I believe would charge a premium of around £60 on a one week one way deal, which, even allowing for fuel, is I reckon a better deal than flogging up to Manchester to pick up a car which one would then drive to Thirsk.

Also, as I understand it, Alamo, is even better as, unless I am mistaken, they charge no one way fees for less than 200miles (distance between pick up and drop off points) and 10p per mile beyond that. Certainly those are Alamo's rules for a one day airport to airport hire.

http://www.alamo.co.uk/Hotdeals/740/uk/aluk_airportconnect

If it were me, I would pick up the car at Southampton, drive to Thirsk and drop it off at Manchester airport and accept the one way charges.

Pretty certain that is both the lowest cost and logistically simplest solution, but I get the impression that the OP, as is their right, is mentally committed to picking up and dropping off the car at Manchester airport and is only really interested in how to get from Southampton to Manchester airport.

Thanks all!

I'm not averse to considering other options. The reason I am ruling out renting a car and driving to Thirsk (Sutton Hall timeshare is the base for our Yorkshire week) from Southampton at the end of our cruise is that DH is the ONLY driver! (I've tried, but am not adept at driving on the left, and our bro-in-law won't even consider it.)

We are staying near Penrith at Whitbarrow Village timeshare in the Lake District. From my Michelin England North & Midlands map, there appears to be motorway all the way from there to Manchester, but more local roads to Leeds. Regardless, I will check into Flybe flights into Leeds, and if the schedule is right, can deal with the rental car per the great suggestions here.

BiL and SiL are leaving for MAN from Thirsk and will be taking the train.

My only experiences with trains in Europe have been the Thalys from Paris to Brussels and a high-speed direct train from Florence to Venice. Both trips were fine...how do trains in Britain compare? I've been envisioning a relaxing journey watching the countryside go by.

Edited by TMLAalum

Thanks all!

I'm not averse to considering other options. The reason I am ruling out renting a car and driving to Thirsk (Sutton Hall timeshare is the base for our Yorkshire week) from Southampton at the end of our cruise is that DH is the ONLY driver! (I've tried, but am not adept at driving on the left, and our bro-in-law won't even consider it.)

We are staying near Penrith at Whitbarrow Village timeshare in the Lake District. From my Michelin England North & Midlands map, there appears to be motorway all the way from there to Manchester, but more local roads to Leeds. Regardless, I will check into Flybe flights into Leeds, and if the schedule is right, can deal with the rental car per the great suggestions here.

BiL and SiL are leaving for MAN from Thirsk and will be taking the train.

My only experiences with trains in Europe have been the Thalys from Paris to Brussels and a high-speed direct train from Florence to Venice. Both trips were fine...how do trains in Britain compare? I've been envisioning a relaxing journey watching the countryside go by.

trains on North /South routes tend to be faster than those cross pennine[east/west] with fewer connections

Leeds Bradford airport is actually very rural and car travel involves single carriageway travel often stuck behind farm vehicles!

on the other hand the M62 motorway from Manchester to North Yorkshire[Thirsk Area] is dual carriageway but tends to be very congested

from Manchester airport south of the city the ring road can take over an hour to negotiate

unfortunately this very small island suffers from congested roads which grind to a halt with an accident!

I am particularly interested in this thread as will be doing the inaugural route of NCL Escape from Hamburg to Southampton next year and looking to get back to the North East from Southampton

Southampton to Sutton-under-Whitestonecliffe would be about a 5 hour drive, mostly on motorway. I think you are right to rule that out.

There are several flights a day from Southampton to Leeds & Bradford Airport and it is just an hour in the air. The drive from there would take less than that unless you chose to go the more scenic route and maybe stop in Ripon for a while. That would be my preferred route for the whole journey.

I know that area fairly well and like many old time lorry drivers in England, I have strong memories of grinding up Sutton Bank in first gear, praying that I wouldn't meet another truck on one of the hairpin bends. I drove up in a car last year and they have smoothed it out a bit since then. The North York's Moors are one of my favourite parts of the country.

Warning_signs_on_the_approach_to_Sutton_Bank_-_geograph.org.uk_-_801742.jpg

Bob ++: Thanks for the foto of the 25% grade into Sutton Bank, but what is the meaning of the sign stating 132 blockages this year by HGVs? Sounds ominous:eek:!

Must be a lot of cruisers taking FLYbe from SOU to Leeds on 16 May, because only the 8:25 am flight shows availability. The mid-day flight would be ideal but the website says no seats left:(.

Bob ++: Thanks for the foto of the 25% grade into Sutton Bank, but what is the meaning of the sign stating 132 blockages this year by HGVs? Sounds ominous:eek:!

Must be a lot of cruisers taking FLYbe from SOU to Leeds on 16 May, because only the 8:25 am flight shows availability. The mid-day flight would be ideal but the website says no seats left:(.

as bob said Sutton Bank is very steep and consists of hairpin bends so HGV's struggle particularly in bad weather and they get stuck so resulting in road blockages-my father in law was a bus driver and has particularly bad memories of that road-once half the passengers had to get out and walk as bus was too heavy for him to get up!

shame about flights being full to Leeds

I would keep trying on those flights. I have found that they sometimes show full when there is some reason they don't want to take bookings yet.

The problem on Sutton Bank is that an articulated lorry (semi trailer) has to swing onto the wrong side of the road to take the bends. If there happens to be someone coming down and the lorry has to stop, it can often be the case that he cannot get enough traction to get going again. OK in dry weather, but if it is wet, and this is North Yorkshire so wet is normal, the surface is too slippery.

There is no possibility of reversing because traffic will have jammed up behind, so it needs the police to sort it all out. Hence 'stuck lorries'. I would take the number with a pinch of salt though.