Sleeping with long hours of daylight

barbeyg

I don't know if this is better to post here or RCCL, but we are sailing Alaska on the Radiance next May.

Long hours of daylight, and a light sleeper here, usually up at the crack of daylight, if not sooner.

Do the ships (Radiance in this case) have heavy curtains on the balcony cabins? Or should I invest in a sleep mask?

Thanks for your input. [emoji4]

yes they are heavy drapes, there also is the suggestion to bring a few closepins, if there are gaps.

Bringing a mask is a cheap investment- that also is a good idea.

It's worthwhile to skip some sleep and enjoy the views- my opinion only. ;)

yes they are heavy drapes, there also is the suggestion to bring a few closepins, if there are gaps.

Bringing a mask is a cheap investment- that also is a good idea.

It's worthwhile to skip some sleep and enjoy the views- my opinion only. ;)

And your opinion is excellent! [emoji106]I agree about less sleep. [emoji4] I figure I won't get much because of the excitement of the beauty all around us. I just wanted what I got to be as restful as it can be.

Thanks for the close-pin idea too. I appreciate it.

Excellent question and I agree with Budget Queen.

We have not had a problem as the drapes are quite heavy.

We have never had to do this but you could also wear an eye mask.

Keith

Thank you too for the reply. [emoji4] I figure between the heavy drapes and the pins, I should be set to go.

That and a few days off afterwards to catch up on sleep. [emoji106]

We have never had a problem achieving total darkness in the cabin if we desired it. The curtains have a set of sheers and a set of blackout curtains, if you will. We have been to Alaska twice now and both times, didn't have trouble sleeping or falling asleep because of extended daylight hours. We went to bed when we were tired, slept with the curtains wide open, and were up before sunrise ever morning because it is so beautiful. Nothing like a quiet ship at 5:30 am! :p:D

I don't know if this is better to post here or RCCL, but we are sailing Alaska on the Radiance next May.

Long hours of daylight, and a light sleeper here, usually up at the crack of daylight, if not sooner.

Do the ships (Radiance in this case) have heavy curtains on the balcony cabins? Or should I invest in a sleep mask?

Thanks for your input. [emoji4]

IMO the answer is both. What will happen though is that you will end up being so tired that you will sleep even with the long hours of daylight. Your wakeup time is more based on when you normally wake up than it does with the light.

Your bigger issue will be the 4 - 5 hour time difference ( 4 in Central time 5 in eastern time at home) between Tennessee and AK.

You end up going to bed close to when you normally wake up. After a couple of nights you just get used to it.

barbeyg, you have the right attitude. You will have a great time.

Keith

You are too sweet! [emoji4] And I am so excited! lol

Thanks all for the input. We are going in a few days early to adjust a bit too. I will probably do better than my husband and son because I can go with 6 hours sleep (or less) each night and not suffer ill effects. They both need 7-8 hours. I will have to take lots of photos for them to see what they missed. [emoji106]

As all the other posters suggested it is not hard to get the room dark but if you are not on that timezone normally you will possibly have a hard time sleeping in due to that. Glad you are going a few days early to adjust! We didn't end up sleeping in past 6am until probably Thursday of the cruise due to time change difficulties. Enjoy your trip!

The Radiance is a beautiful ship. We enjoyed sailing on her for our previous Alaska cruise.

As others have said, the "blackout" drapes are quite heavy and thick so they will provide you with a dark room. The clothes pin idea sounds great just in case you need it.

Have a wonderful cruise and take lots of pictures!

I'm glad to hear you're looking forward to your cruise. Alaska is amazing! I hope you will post a review when you return.

Happy cruising!

I plan to, JimAOk! It will be my first cruise review here. I want to 'give back' for all the great advice I've gotten. [emoji4]