How do you keep the luggage weight down?

With all the luggage restrictions, charges, and weight limits, how do you keep the luggage weight down? I do not have the privilege of living close to a port, so I have to fly. DH and I budget for 1 large suitcase each, and we share a garment bag. We each carry on a backpack, although I may be bringing a larger bag for this cruise.

Since our upcoming cruise is a B2B, I am trying to figure out how to keep the luggage weight down. We always bring back souvenirs, so I need to leave room to bring back all my treasures... um... bottles of rum!

There are some items I will not leave at home that take up lots of weight. These include my snorkel, mask, and fins, water shoes (Although they double as tennis shoes), formal wear, blow dryer, hair straightener.

Here are my tips, but I would love to hear ideas from others:

1. Limit the shoes, 1 pair to wear on the plane, 1 for formal night, and one for sporty activities. I make sure my pair to wear matches everything I pack.

2. I plan on using the laundry bag on the ship for the 1st week, meaning I can pack about 5 days less of tops, underwear, bras, etc...

3. I don't take any cosmetics or personal care items that are in glass bottles. I make sure I have everything in light-weight plastic bottles.

4. I spend all year collecting sample packets (not bottles) of shampoo and conditioner from free websites. I pack enough to wash my hair once a day for the entire cruise. I weighed out the difference, and I saved almost an entire pound of luggage weight doing this!

What are your tips?

No jeans! Too heavy! I leave the athletic shoes home, too....flip-flops, strappy heels and such are all I bring. Still haven't figured out how to reduce the weight of hubby's dress shoes...are they made of lead?????

Instead of my large set of electric curlers, I bought a compact "travel" set...does the job well enough for a cruise and takes up 1/3 the weight and 1/8 the space!

Edited by cb at sea

Bring mix and match clothing. For dinners, I'll pack 2 pairs of pants for dinner. I'll pack 3 or four blouses. I can wear each blouse with each pair of pants. I do the same for daytime clothes. Usually 3 pairs of shoes (1 type that I can wear daytime and nighttime, formal heels, and tennis shoes). We fly in the day before so, we will get small travel size toiletries once we are off the plane.

It's usually one bag for him, one bag for me, and the garment bag.

Edited by hazeleyez3

If I want to take jeans with me, I will wear them on the plane. I also wear my athletic shoes, plus if I want a sweater or a shawl, I wear it. We try to fly in the day before as much as possible and I will buy shampoo, sunscreen, etc. before we get on the ship in amounts that I will use up before the return trip. I don't take my blow dryer but use the one provided in the room. It is not the best but it will do the job and that is one less thing taking up space/weight!

Sherri:)

I won't skimp on shoes because I enjoy having different ones to wear. Don't take sneakers, though--only wear them at home for exercising.

My hairdresser gives me a do that I can blow dry or air dry, so I don't have to bring any hair appliances.

I'm satisfied with the cruise line's toiletries, so don't bring those.

I'm allergic to facbric softener, so can't use public machines.

Although we laugh at ourselves for doing this, between trips, we collect what we call vacation underwear--those items that, while not raggedy, are ready for replacement. Then, we throw a pair out every day on vacation.

I'm a big fan of mix and match. As I plan my evening (other than formal) outfits, every top has to go with multiple bottoms.

We also laugh at this--but I like refrigerator magents as souvenirs--chaeap and small.

No jeans! Too heavy! I leave the athletic shoes home, too....flip-flops, strappy heels and such are all I bring. Still haven't figured out how to reduce the weight of hubby's dress shoes...are they made of lead?????
Men's Dance shoes are very light weight with suede soles and are fine for walking around on the ship. It also helps if you dance.:)

Fly SouthWest if that's an option, bags fly free. I know they don't fly everywhere, but they can usually get you pretty close in the US.

Carry a suitcase scale, it sure helps keep your luggage right up to but less than the limit.

Buy disposables at the port, we usually fly in the day before, so picking up things like toiletries or whatever you are putting in the Rum Runners is easily done.:D

I pack exactly the items I need no more no less. The thing is I do mix and match. I even own a reversible skirt that looks great and does double duty. I also put everything out thier I need and then go through it and pare it down even more.

Plan for say four-five days of clothes then wash them after that time. You can also hand soak underwere and soxs meaning you can take even less. I dont wear make up so that keeps things cut down even more.

As far as room for souviners. I take a medium sized canvas bag and that is my souviners bag. I keep all postcards and etc in thier.

The trick is to take less and even less then you think you need.

Adri :)

what about the bags that you suction air out of? has anyone used those? I thought of it for next year since we have to fly, and i'm sure i can tip the room steward extra to use his vacuum when we leave to suck the air out again.

what about the bags that you suction air out of? has anyone used those? I thought of it for next year since we have to fly, and i'm sure i can tip the room steward extra to use his vacuum when we leave to suck the air out again.

But this does not reduce the weight of your luggage; in fact, IME, it will wrinkle your clothing horribly, and provide you with more room, encouraging you to overpack, and making your bag heavier.

Wear your heaviest clothes, i.e. jeans, sneakers. If you need a jacket, carry it. Pack your heavy stuff in your carry-ons.

Coordinate your clothes and shoes.

Budget money in for on-board laundry services.

Don't bring a hairdryer. There will be one in your cabin.

Unless you are fussy about shampoo and soaps, use the ship's. If you are, (I am)buy the little plastic containers and fill them with your soaps and stuff. Just bring enough for the trip. I let my bottles of stuff get down to an amount that I think I will use on a cruise, then I set them aside. The containers aren't as heavy as full ones and I can throw them away at the end of the trip.

Bring a very large purse as one of your carry-ons.

Buy the travel sized-hot rollers.

Don't pack beach towels

These are some of the things I do. I hope it helps.

I cruise for a week with just a 22" rollaboard suitcase and a tote bag. I only take the clothes I know I'll need. I plan out what I am going to wear for each day. Everything has to mix and match. Same with shoes. I wear my comfy shoes when I travel and they are for walking around in during the day and take a pair of flip flops for the beach and a pair of dressy sandals that will go with anything I wear for evening or dressing up. I've never done laundry on board the ship. I do take my own hairdryer and toiletries, but they are travel sizes. Oh and a couple of swimsuits.

my shoes really dont weigh that much...so i dont limit myself on those...always make sure i have enough just in case...

to keep the weight down we weigh the bags and adjust accordingly...i will never just be one to travel with carry-ons...usually have 1 checked bag each and a carry-on and then if its longer vacation/cruise we have a medium sized bag...frankly anymore i dont care what it costs with the luggage...so if i cant make the weight i will check another bag and then i just add the cost of the luggage into my ticket....sometimes we STRESS or i STRESS more about the weight issue and overpacking and i have found with the last 2 cruises just take what i want and be HAPPY...not overweight but we did have an extra checked bag for our 2 week cruise to the Panama Canal...all the STRESS over packing and things just wasnt worth it and personally i dont care if i ever pack light or just with a carry-on.

We don't pack for more than a week no matter how long the trip and even pack a bit less than that at times. For a lot less than the amount of one more checked bag (isn't the second sometimes $35 each way?) we can have many things laundered or dry cleaned a couple of times.

I pack cocktail dresses instead of full length dresses, for casual nights I take one pair of slacks, 3 tops and 2 jersey knit dresses (those pack easier and lighter than a top and a pair of slacks).

Our toiletries are reduced as much as possible, we have refillable bottles. My cosmetics case is small. It's pretty amazing just how much "stuff" one thinks they need to get by, but I do refuse to use the mystery shampoo on my hair, or their soap, it's so drying to my skin and hair.

The weight of the toiletries on the way home is enough for us to add a few souvenirs, we really don't buy much anyway. Maybe an art print or a Christmas ornament. We don't feel any obligation to provide souvenirs to anyone we work with or relatives, so that relieves us of that burden.

For our Med cruise (19 days total) we packed for one week and my husband rented a tux onboard rather than pack a suit.

Edited by Happy ks

I don't really worry about it too much. I do pack travel size shampoo, deoderant, etc. We are usually gone for 2 weeks or more. I want the things that I want. I am already spending thousands on airfare and a cruise, what's 50 bucks for a suitcase going to matter in the long run? :p We usually take three 30" checked bags, each weighing about 40 pounds.

I don't worry about the weight but about the size of my luggage (if too big, airline will refuse it). I take whatever I wish and vacuum pack everything. I pack each vacuum bag utilizing a bundle method, thus minimizing wrinkles. Daywear is never sent out for pressing, but not so with most items worn to dinner. A vacuum cleaner isn't used with all bags, some are like mega ziplocks (for daywear) with a small opening at the bottom in which to roll out the air.

I only take very light weight dresses. Some of my shorts are heavier than some dresses!

I noticed that you are planning on taking your fins. We leave fins at home and only pack masks and snorkels. On paid excursions, we like using our own equipment but will use the fins they provide. When DIY shore snorkeling we have worn only our water shoes if there is not a rental shop for fins available. Saves a lot of space and they're not too expensive to rent.

I noticed that you are planning on taking your fins. We leave fins at home and only pack masks and snorkels. On paid excursions, we like using our own equipment but will use the fins they provide. When DIY shore snorkeling we have worn only our water shoes if there is not a rental shop for fins available. Saves a lot of space and they're not too expensive to rent.

We have to take our fins. We are doing several "on our own" excursions that require swimming out a long distance in rough surf. Also, my DH is 6'4" and has big feet! His flippers are perfect for his large size, and we have had difficulty finding flippers that fit him on organized excursions. The fins and snorkel/mask are a must in our packing. They fit nicely in the top of our suitcase.

Ive not sailed,but I have flown. My roomie and I have to hit a Walmart,so I plan to buy my snorkle stuff,after I fly,and give it to a friend who will take it home with her,she lives close to Jax. I wont use it again. To save space and weight,Im taking ultra light clothes. No jeans for sure. My "formal" dress is super light,as well as my black pants and poly blouses I plan to mix n match with it. as for shoes, I have big feet.So Im taking my O.N. Flip flops and a couple other pair of flip flops made from that foamy stuff. Plus my new dress shoes are super light. But I wont skimp on my toiletries. Im too sensative to soaps and stuff to take a chance on having hives the whole cruise. Hives=bynadryl=not too much fun for Sarah.

I also plan the underwear thing.Im bout due for a new pack of Hanes her Ways, and will be buying new ones when I get home.

Right now though,totally OFF topic, we're moving. So Im trying to figure out how to keep moving boxes light too.I cant lift much weight. So wish me luck on that. We're doing the whole 7 rednecks and some trucks moving. lol. they work for beer and hot dogs.

I write a list of everything I want to take, then score off a few things that I know are wants rather than needs.

Then I pack the cases, weigh them just to make sure, and off we go!

We flew to Florida for a 2 week holiday last Christmas, our cases weighted 8,9 and 11 kilograms each. That's 17.5, 19.8 and 24.2 lbs

Full size toiletries and all the clothes I wanted. Our carry ons had no spare clothing, just a book, Nintendo DS etc. for our entertainment.

I write a list of everything I want to take, then score off a few things that I know are wants rather than needs.

Then I pack the cases, weigh them just to make sure, and off we go!

We flew to Florida for a 2 week holiday last Christmas, our cases weighted 8,9 and 11 kilograms each. That's 17.5, 19.8 and 24.2 lbs

Full size toiletries and all the clothes I wanted. Our carry ons had no spare clothing, just a book, Nintendo DS etc. for our entertainment.

Good Idea about weighing them. Ill do that. Im only taking one large suitcase and my back pack carryon.

Dumb question perhaps, but doesn't a reversible skirt weigh as much as 2 separate skirts???

Consider a reversible skirt that is made of a light gauzy fabric -- a single layer would need a lining or it would be too sheer to be decent. So as long as the skirt needs a lining, make it so the lining could be worn as a skirt anyway.

Coldwater Creek has several examples:

Here's one.

And another.

Throwing out the underwear every day is hilarious. Don't you know you're suppose to only wear your good underwear in case you end up in the hospital?! Didn't your mother teach you anything!! ;)

LOL, I actually did this on our last cruise! I packed a few pair that were getting toward the end of their life, and threw them away when I had worn them. I had packed new underwear as well, but it was a good way to make extra room in the suitcase on the way back!