Marina's Drydock

rheasue38

Hi!

When does Marina go into drydock and how long is the drydock? What will be done when Marina is in drydock?

Rhea

She is going into drydock after her current T/A sailing (5/14 - 5/28) and will return on June 7th in Lisbon.

Nothing major will be done AFAIK - only cosmetic stuff (whatever is needed)

Edited by Paulchili

When we sailed on Marina last summer, signs of wear were certainly there. The number buttons on our safe were unreadable and only six of the nine even worked. Our telephone barely worked in our room. Carpets were showing signs of wear. I'm sure another year has added to the wear and tear, so hopefully lots of "freshening" will occur.

She is going into drydock after her current T/A sailing (5/14 - 5/28) and will return on June 7th in Lisbon.

Nothing major will be done AFAIK - only cosmetic stuff (whatever is needed)

Hi RheaSue and Paul,

We are boarding Marina in Lisbon on June 7. We will report on any changes.

David & Laura

Hi RheaSue and Paul,

We are boarding Marina in Lisbon on June 7. We will report on any changes.

David & Laura

And let us know if they upgraded the internet to the new high speed.

There isn't enough bandwidth at IBM for all those who leave their wi-fi on for the entire cruise. It's free you know.

Surely there must be a way - or at least there should be a way - to kick someone off the internet after certain amount of inactivity.

That should not be such a difficult thing to program into the server, IMO.

Surely there must be a way - or at least there should be a way - to kick someone off the internet after certain amount of inactivity.

That should not be such a difficult thing to program into the server, IMO.

Yes there is, but what's the point? Someone who has no activity is in fact not using any of the bandwidth.

Yes there is, but what's the point? Someone who has no activity is in fact not using any of the bandwidth.

Thank you - that's good to know.

While I have no trouble navigating the Net, I don't know all the technical "ins & outs" of its workings. Much of it - like how Google finds anything and everything in a few miliseconds - is pure magic to me. :D

Edited by Paulchili

Thank you - that's good to know.

While I have no trouble navigating the Net, I don't know all the technical "ins & outs" of its workings. Much of it - like how Google finds anything and everything in a few miliseconds - is pure magic to me. :D

So glad I'm not the only one reading this techie stuff and sighing "HUH?" I too believe in magic. (I can hear The Lovin' Spoonful in the background.;))

Any word from those on board about upgraded internet?

On this segment I only have 200 minutes (chose no O Life on this one).

Thus I am using Internet judiciously and cannot really answer about the speed - have used terminal's wifi's in some ports.

However, on a topic discussed above, I was told by the IT person that it DOES matter if people do not sign off. Their iPhones and iPdas use Internet for all sorts of "activities" even when the user is not actively online. Thus the bandwidth is being used and people are encouraged to sign off when not using the Net - just passing this on FWIW.

Their iPhones and iPdas use Internet for all sorts of "activities" even when the user is not actively online. Thus the bandwidth is being used
True, but that wasn't the underlying question which I answered and my answer still stands. The underlying question was with respect to your statement, "kick someone off the internet after certain amount of inactivity". I said "yes you can". But guess what, all of those iPhones and iPads that have activity wouldn't be kicked off because they have activity.
and people are encouraged to sign off when not using the Net - just passing this on FWIW.
Yes, a very good idea and one hopefully many will follow. But more importantly, have settings on your iPhone. Andriod, iPad, etc that doesn't do automatic updates of the OS or applications. I update my Apps and iOS prior to leaving home and with rare exception won't do it again until I get home or to a hotel with Wifi.

On this segment I only have 200 minutes (chose no O Life on this one).

Thus I am using Internet judiciously and cannot really answer about the speed - have used terminal's wifi's in some ports.

However, on a topic discussed above, I was told by the IT person that it DOES matter if people do not sign off. Their iPhones and iPdas use Internet for all sorts of "activities" even when the user is not actively online. Thus the bandwidth is being used and people are encouraged to sign off when not using the Net - just passing this on FWIW.

Thanks, Paul. See you on board in Southhampton! How does she look? (Marina)

Edited by Aloha 1

We are onboard Marina now. The internet does not seem any faster than it's been on our previous 20 O cruises.

I did a Speedtest on Day 1 and got a whopping 1.49 Mbps! I did another just now at dinner time and got 0.50 mbps.

I'll post again if things get any better.

Thanks, Paul. See you on board in Southhampton! How does she look? (Marina)

She looks fine.

Seems like a brand new crew (mostly) and they are being "broken in".

See you onboard.

PS re:Internet - agree wit LAexNY - same old, same old. :(

All they did was to change to a new generation of terminal equipment that provides a higher and more effective compression. I highly doubt that anyone will see an improvement in view of the fact that many people have O Life free internet. The pipe is only so wide, and yes it is relatively easy to put a timeout and disconnect automatically. Some cruise lines like RCI already have that.

She looks fine.

See you onboard.

The most noticeable change is that all the carpets have been replaced. We spoke to several of the crew members and they told us that they were all put to work during dry dock helping with ripping out the old carpet. BTW, the dry dock was in Cadiz, Spain and Marina sailed to Lisbon on June 6.

She looks fine.

See you onboard.

We disembarked in Lisbon along with more than 50% of the crew - they were all headed home. The rest were staying on to pull up carpet, etc. There were semi trucks at the dock in Lisbon full of supplies that were being loaded while our luggage was coming out the other bay doors.

All they did was to change to a new generation of terminal equipment that provides a higher and more effective compression. I highly doubt that anyone will see an improvement in view of the fact that many people have O Life free internet. The pipe is only so wide, and yes it is relatively easy to put a timeout and disconnect automatically. Some cruise lines like RCI already have that.

Wow! Very disappointing given the roll out announcement by corporate. It sounded like they were answering RCL's investment in a major speed upgrade. I really wish they'd get the fact that in today's world, fast internet access is now considered essential whether on holiday or not.

Friday - 10:00. AM

Big surprise today. Many people are off the ship now. The wi-fi is the fastest I've ever seen on Oceania. Pages load quickly. I did a Speedtest and got an astounding result of 71 Mbps. Tested it again a while later and it was a still respectable 9 Mbps.

So the system appears to be capable of decent speed, at least when fewer people are online.

Friday - 10:00. AM

Big surprise today. Many people are off the ship now. The wi-fi is the fastest I've ever seen on Oceania. Pages load quickly. I did a Speedtest and got an astounding result of 71 Mbps. Tested it again a while later and it was a still respectable 9 Mbps.

So the system appears to be capable of decent speed, at least when fewer people are online.

As I understand the way the new systems work, when in port they use land based Internet connection for the ship's Wifi. When at sea they have quadrupled the bandwidth (not to be confused with speed), but the speed is still via satellite, so slow. Where this will be a marginal improvement (when at sea), is when everyone is online (4-6 PM on a sea day) and it used to take 2 minutes for a page to load, now it will take 30 seconds. Not great, but still an improvement and in line with Norwegian's press release.

So when at sea we now have a 8 lane highway where we used to have a 2 lane highway, but the speed limit is still 35 mph. When in port we also now have a 8 lane highway where we used to have a 2 lane highway, but the speed limit has increased to 300 mph. Speed amounts I used are strictly for illustration purposes and does not reflect the actual differences between at sea and land based speed. I thought this example might give those who are less tech savvy a better idea of how things work.