Eastern or Western? Houston or Fort Lauderdale? Please help me decide!

yvr49

Is the new cruise terminal Bayport in Pasadena, TX as problematic as Galveston? That's where Emerald Princess departs from.

I'm not too concerned with nothing or amenities near the cruise terminal. We 5 are flying into Houston the night before, staying at a hotel at the airport, and being picked up by a limo driver the next morning, cruise day, and going straight to the ship. Upon return he will pick us all up and go back to the airport to fly home. With 5 people it is less expensive for a driver than to use the princess transfer, now $36 pp.

We also don't care about only having bottom shelf liquor available until we leave Texas waters.

With all the weather and navigation problems around port of Houston, why do Princess and the other lines keep using it and why use the giant ships?

Is the new cruise terminal Bayport in Pasadena, TX as problematic as Galveston? That's where Emerald Princess departs from.

I'm not too concerned with nothing or amenities near the cruise terminal. We 5 are flying into Houston the night before, staying at a hotel at the airport, and being picked up by a limo driver the next morning, cruise day, and going straight to the ship. Upon return he will pick us all up and go back to the airport to fly home. With 5 people it is less expensive for a driver than to use the princess transfer, now $36 pp.

We also don't care about only having bottom shelf liquor available until we leave Texas waters.

With all the weather and navigation problems around port of Houston, why do Princess and the other lines keep using it and why use the giant ships?

It is more problematic than Galveston for sure as Galveston is at the mouth of the shipping channel while Bayport is 20+ miles inland. Sure Galveston has fog problems as well, but being at the mouth of the channel it is less boxed in with winds AND fog issues like Bayport.

As to why Princess and NCL are using Bayport after the terminal sat empty for years is they are basically being paid bribes by the city of Houston to dock there. When/if that dries up or Princess determines the bribes don't outweigh the hassle then they will stop docking there.

Always follow the money.

We too mostly go outof Houston / Galveston being in easy driving distance. The fog problem is real, but we have never been delayed by more than a couple of hours. Fog on galveston bay is somewhat seaonal and tends to be worst around March / April, but can occur during any of the colder months if conditions are right. The HSC is a major shipping channel, 3rd or 4th busiest in the US, and I personally enjoy watching all the industrial ships.

The itineraries are vastly different, so a lot depends on what you are interested in. If you are interested in archaeological sites, then the Western Caribbean is definitely the one to take.

From Costa Maya, Princess has excursions to the Kohunlich, Chacchoben, and Dzibanche Mayan ruins. From Belize City, they have excursions to the Altun Ha, Lamanai, and Zunantunich Mayan ruins. From Cozumel, to Tulum and Coba Maya ruins. My wife and I took this itinerary B2B and went to different Mayan ruins each week.

If you are not interested in Mayan ruins, then you may not find this itinerary quite so interesting.

It is more problematic than Galveston for sure as Galveston is at the mouth of the shipping channel while Bayport is 20+ miles inland.

Didn't the collision in the ship channel last year impact Bayport,

and not Galveston?

And, with regard to 'Why Houston?' -- I don't think they could squeeze any more

princess ships into Ft. Lauderdale, without duplicating existing itineraries.

Edited by pablo222

Didn't the collision in the ship channel last year impact Bayport,

and not Galveston?

And, with regard to 'Why Houston?' -- I don't think they could squeeze any more

princess ships into Ft. Lauderdale, without duplicating existing itineraries.

Galveston WAS impacted as ships had to be inspected for oil on their hulls before being cleared to leave, but it was certainly not as bad as Bayport.

I for one would welcome a move to New Orleans or Mobile, or another port on the Gulf rather than have Princess stay in Houston. But as we all know, money talks....

We took a cruise last Feb. from Houston and, to echo others, there were issues. Luckily, we knew ahead of time that fog was a major problem and brought on some nicer wine to enjoy that evening because, sure enough, right when we were in muster, the fog rolled in so thick you couldn't see anything. We knew right away we weren't leaving that night. So we took a bottle to Crown Grill and still enjoyed ourselves. We left mid-morning the next day and skipped Roatan. Disliked Costa Maya. Another consideration in the winter is that it is a bit chilly the first day out and last day back. Our last day was downright dreary. Since my husband loves the beach & sun, he said no more Houston cruises in the winter. So we booked FLL for this upcoming Feb. Plus we just love St. Thomas & St. Martin.

Having said that, the fog & weather might not bother some, and we still had a pretty good time (especially b/c we anticipated the "bumps in the road"). It just didn't compare to other (warmer) cruises we had been on.

I am conflicted because I like the eastern itinerary better but not the ship. Also Houston can be cool (temperature wise) in January and Ft. Lauderdale is a much more fun place IMO. I'd look for an eastern or southern Caribbean cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale on a Grand class ship, not Regal or Royal. I think you'd have a better experience. :)

p.s. They also do a western itinerary out of Ft. Lauderdale I believe and that would be cool too. :cool:

Wow, I think I have touched a nerve! Very interesting to hear all the responses re: difficulties in Houston port. We do like history and ruins but will save that for another time, and stick with the plan to go out of FLL. Fortunately I booked early yesterday, because since then the base price has gone up $120 pp.

I had the choice of FLL or Houston on my trip .I live in Vancouver and until they get a direct flight from FLL I would fly from Houston.A direct flight just under 4 hours.It takes me all day with changing flights to FLL from and to Vancouver BC

I avoid trips starting and end in FLL.Until the day we get that direct flight I will not be tempted one bit by all the offers Princess sends me.

I did do this trip to FLL several years ago started off just after 7.00AM reached the hotel in FLL next to airport just after 7.00 PM:eek:My friend who arrived from UK had already arrived on a 5 hour flight.

This is our normal flights - There is not a non stop to anywhere from where I live.

Keep in mind much of the US had their worst winter in half a century last year this includes Houston. Typical years are much better in 5 cruises out of Houston / Galveston we have never been delayed by more than an hour by weather.

Not withstanding your point, the port of Houston known as Bayport is in a location that is challenging with the best of conditions. I just value my vacation dollars and time more than some it seems and prefer to try to book a more sure thing than Houston can offer.

As always YMMV, and I'm sure some people had fabulous cruises out of Houston/Galveston, but for us one time was one too many. There are way more ports / cruises to choose from.

I avoid trips starting and end in FLL.Until the day we get that direct flight I will not be tempted one bit by all the offers Princess sends me.

Alaska Airlines has a non-stop flight SEA - FLL

5:35 duration.

And: "My friend who arrived from UK had already arrived on a 5 hour flight."

They were either funnin' you, on the concorde, or confused by the time change.

There are no 5 hour flights from the UK to the US

Edited by pablo222

Keep in mind much of the US had their worst winter in half a century last year this includes Houston. Typical years are much better in 5 cruises out of Houston / Galveston we have never been delayed by more than an hour by weather.

let's hope we have 2 beautiful cruises 11/11 & 11/16 !!! ;)

see you soon !! :)