Your Favourite Thomson Ship - Past & Present

What's your favourite Thomson ship - past and present?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite Thomson ship - past and present?

• Thomson Dream
    • Thomson Majesty
    • Thomson Celebration
    • Thomson Spirit
    • Island Escape
    • Thomson Destiny
    • The Calypso
    • The Emerald
    • The Topaz
    • Island Breeze
    • Sapphire

Thought I'd add this poll to get an idea on everyone's favourites.

Is the current flagship your favourite, Thomson Dream? Perhaps you preferred the recently departed Thomson Destiny? Did you like the adults-only The Calypso? Or maybe you miss the 'jewel in the fleet' The Emerald?

Choose which one is your favourite. Not included the ships that they had when they had a cruise operation in the 1970s as I think Thomson Cruises has changed a lot since then. Included Island Escape as it is sort of part of the Thomson operation.

Voted for Thomson Celebration. Think the ship itself has a good layout, spacious cabins and love the wrap-around promenade deck. Also like Thomson Dream, but for me Celebration just beats it, probably because Spirit was my first cruise so more used to this type of layout. Also, preferred it to Dream just slightly as didn't like how on Dream all the entertainment venues were all on one deck. Will look forward to seeing after its refurbishment what the ship is like.

I'm going to have to log off now Sailaway, but I'm glad I noticed this before I go. I will have to give it some thought as I think you tend to put favourite ship with favourite cruise.

Maybe you should do another poll for favourite cruise?

I'll be back later to vote. ;)

Voting for the Island breeze as this was the first cruise we went on,although I had been on 3 other ships before including the Canberra,but I B was far better, second choice is the Spirit, super ship and crew.

Dither dither dither!!:o

I've gone for the Spirit. I'll be honest I'm not sure which cruises have been on the Celebration and which have been on the Spirit so I've chosen the Spirit because that was our first.

I voted Calypso.

Several reasons. I'm a small ship lover. Small ship meant you got to know so many staff and fellow passengers as you met them more than once on the cruise. No children is heaven. I like late sitting with the same waiter not available on some of the other Thomson ships. Most of all the experience of sailing through the Corinthe canal (can only be done with a small ship) is something that will always live in my memories.

Went for the Celebration. Thought it was a much nicer ship than the Destiny. Liked the Topaz too, she was a proper ship with lots of beautiful wood panneling etc and we had a basic cabin for three which had a double bed and a single bed and a huge shower room. Public areas on the Majesty are too overcrowded and the Jubilee Lounge is not suitable although she is a nice ship. However, the Celebration shades it. Nice ship, good cabin, excellent layout, entertainment and food. Hope to go back on her after her refurb.

I voted Calypso.

Several reasons. I'm a small ship lover. Small ship meant you got to know so many staff and fellow passengers as you met them more than once on the cruise. No children is heaven. I like late sitting with the same waiter not available on some of the other Thomson ships. Most of all the experience of sailing through the Corinthe canal (can only be done with a small ship) is something that will always live in my memories.

Hi, I did the canal on my first cruise,on Clarksons ship Delos,[late 60's]I will also remember that,it was a tight fit even for Delos as it was only 5000 tons.

Ironic that the 2 ships in the lead at the moment are the Louis run Spirit and Destiny, yet the ships that are getting refurbed to Platinum are the supposedly higher rated Dream and Celebration! I think we all know the real reason why it is those 2 ships that are getting upgraded!

Ironic that the 2 ships in the lead at the moment are the Louis run Spirit and Destiny, yet the ships that are getting refurbed to Platinum are the supposedly higher rated Dream and Celebration! I think we all know the real reason why it is those 2 ships that are getting upgraded!

Yes, it is because Dream and Celebration are on bare bone charter and Thomson have more control over what happens aboard and I suspect make more profit from them.

The Louis ships are still Louis ships but with Thomson branding. This is why there are differences in the AI offerings etc. Spirits charter is due to run out in 2014? so who knows what will happen to her after that.

For me Celebration will never be a platinum ship as long as those single cabins are grouped down by the engines. I reckon platinum status needs fridges in all cabins and free safes as well. This in only the 'normal' situation on lots of other cruise lines.

Went for the Dream although Spirit was a close second, we go on the Celebration in November :) for first time, but the Dream is our overall favourite. Destiny was rust bucket with a really good crew and although glad to see it's gone, doubt if we will ever do the Majesty though.

Spirit for me, her sister next celebration, Spirit is an old rust bucket with character, squeaks a lot and loses power but never loses charm.....crew are the friendliest, buffet actually serves hot food hot and officer in charge of buffet actually asks for positive critism so he can act on it. waiters knock spots off the other ships so quick to get a refil without asking. Cabin even flooded with sewage but still happy with my choice as everything was done to make our holiday great.:)

Yes, it is because Dream and Celebration are on bare bone charter and Thomson have more control over what happens aboard and I suspect make more profit from them.

The Louis ships are still Louis ships but with Thomson branding. This is why there are differences in the AI offerings etc. Spirits charter is due to run out in 2014? so who knows what will happen to her after that.

For me Celebration will never be a platinum ship as long as those single cabins are grouped down by the engines. I reckon platinum status needs fridges in all cabins and free safes as well. This in only the 'normal' situation on lots of other cruise lines.

Yep, spot on. I hope something can be done to keep Spirit in the longer term, I'd be gutted if she moved on, or worse still went back to Louis. It'd be a shame to split the 'sisters' up as well.

Having been on Dream, Spirit, Destiny and Celebration several times each, I voted for the Spirit. For me its the best laid out, decent cabins, excellent restaurant/buffet/food, good entertainment and superb staff. Admittedly, there isn't a huge difference between them but I feel the Spirit is the best run and so with all its other attributes, best overall.

Having sailed on the Spirit, Celebration and the Dream my favorite is the Spirit. I don't like that the outside brew station on the Celebration is in the smoking section, having just been on the Dream and going on the Spirit shortly I think the staff are nicer on the Spirit!!

We've only been on the Dream. Do any of the Thomson ships have balconies? We really did miss that on the Dream :)

I think there are six on Dream - the Grand Suites but not on the others as far as I know. It's such a pity that in supposedly 'up-grading' from Destiny to Majesty Thomson didn't go for something better. :rolleyes:

Archived