Carnival Cruise Ship Cancels Numerous Alaska Port Calls, Blames Mechanical Problem

LauraS

They are offering refunds folks, without penalty! They are not coming through on the cruises that most people signed up for.

Take the refund.

Instead of losing revenue, they have chosen to continue sailing "for your convenience". One or two weeks lost revenue, or a year of dissatisfaction to the passenger. Don't get it.

I love Carnival and the Miracle, but if I had a cruise booked on the Miracle to either Hawaii or Alaska, I would cancel and book another line. Especially for Hawaii. Would you chance getting stuck in the middle of the Pacific if the ship were to develop other problems due to the propulsion issue? Also, Alaska is primarily about the ports. I certainly wouldn't want to miss any. It's not like the Caribbean where one port seems pretty much like another.

They are offering refunds folks, without penalty! They are not coming through on the cruises that most people signed up for.

Take the refund.

Instead of losing revenue, they have chosen to continue sailing "for your convenience". One or two weeks lost revenue, or a year of dissatisfaction to the passenger. Don't get it.

And you never will I would absolutely still take the cruise

A few years ago we were booked on the Miracle going to Panama and due to a propulsion issue could not do it and changed to another itinerary.

Gave us the option to switch and we did.

Reason they gave for not fixing the problem was parts needed to be made. Wonder if this is the same reason?

All I know if going to Alaska we would not accept a changed itinerary with less ports.

A few years ago we were booked on the Miracle going to Panama and due to a propulsion issue could not do it and changed to another itinerary.

Gave us the option to switch and we did.

Reason they gave for not fixing the problem was parts needed to be made. Wonder if this is the same reason?

All I know if going to Alaska we would not accept a changed itinerary with less ports.

That ship has had propulsion problems since it was launched. 2004 had one azipod out on our cruise.

Wow...while I still will do carnival..I will watch deals and aim for others. My folks adored Ketchican, Juneau, Sitka, Skagway, Fairbanks..had 2 different cruises..one Northbound and one roundtrip about 20 years apart...especially loved things lined up on Wonder in 2012...Just before mom passed a couple months later..I think Ketchikan was a dogsled thing..at any rate each port offers tons and for Hawaii the big thrill would be having 2 days in glorious Maui...that makes skipping whole airfare and doing it the long cruise way and a for a bit more worth it with the fun of a side by side different isle taste for future returns..it is all getting so sad...my family would give me heck if i do do a last minute on Carnival now..they take it to too much other extreme...but this is sad, I guess parts and port time to fix is an issue..and maybe some burned bridges with help options on too many fiascos...sarah

Edited by sjn911

I love Carnival and the Miracle, but if I had a cruise booked on the Miracle to either Hawaii or Alaska, I would cancel and book another line. Especially for Hawaii. Would you chance getting stuck in the middle of the Pacific if the ship were to develop other problems due to the propulsion issue? Also, Alaska is primarily about the ports. I certainly wouldn't want to miss any. It's not like the Caribbean where one port seems pretty much like another.

Agree 100%

The 25% off a future cruise really doesn't hold much appeal to me. This will be the third of eight cruises on Carnival where something like this has happened to us. Not a great track record. This would have been our fifth Alaska cruise, so it's not like we haven't already been to all of the ports; for me it's the principle.

I'm going to take my money and run!

There are other threads discussing these problems in depth with descriptions of the issue .

We just got off the last Miracle cruise to Mexico and the ship ran very smoothly but Mr. Riffatsea noticed that the speed did not go above 17knots. If that is the only thing they need to do to handle the problem then I don't think you really need to worry much. I do understand being upset at missing ports but that happens for many reasons.

The 8 day cruises to Alaska are not affected because they have enough time to get to all the ports at the slower speed.

I hope you all get to enjoy the Miracle and her crew because they are all fantastic!!

There are other threads discussing these problems in depth with descriptions of the issue .

We just got off the last Miracle cruise to Mexico and the ship ran very smoothly but Mr. Riffatsea noticed that the speed did not go above 17knots. If that is the only thing they need to do to handle the problem then I don't think you really need to worry much. I do understand being upset at missing ports but that happens for many reasons.

The 8 day cruises to Alaska are not affected because they have enough time to get to all the ports at the slower speed.

I hope you all get to enjoy the Miracle and her crew because they are all fantastic!!

I wonder if this was the reason several Miracle cruises were late getting into Long Beach? At least 2-3 times it didn't get into port until 8:30 or later.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

Take the refund.

I'm so glad we booked with Princess for Alaska in May instead of Carnival. We were on the Miracle last August and missed one port. Had a great time - so much so we're going back and don't have to fly to get to the port.

Take the refund.

I totally agree.

I'm so glad we booked with Princess for Alaska in May instead of Carnival. We were on the Miracle last August and missed one port. Had a great time - so much so we're going back and don't have to fly to get to the port.

We are booked with Princess in July. Made the decision before this news was public, but I'd sure switch now if we hadn't.