General costs for Jost Van Dyke

brookie848

We will be visiting Jost Van Dyke on a NCL tour in February. We will get there pretty early in the morning and leave late morning/very early afternoon.

Can someone give us a general idea of costs for drinks (both alcoholic and non) and breakfast/snacks? I'm pretty sure there is no chair rental here, but if I'm wrong, please correct me.

I'm trying to get a good idea of how much money we should bring with us for the excursion.

Also, if you have any recommendations for certain drinks (besides the pain killer), food or which bar to visit, let me know!

Thanks!

Sorry can't help with prices but they're the typical beach prices. We can recommend a few spots -

The Soggy $ Bar is the obvious spot and since you're there early the crowds won't be too bad. But walk past the store and hit Seddy's One Love Bar, Seddy Callwood is Foxy's son (Foxy's place is in Great Harbor) and he performs card and magic tricks. We also like his Bushwacker better than the Soggy % painkiller but you can compare.

Ivan's Stress Free bar is another must do spot. If you have time taxi over to Foxy's for a look see, you may catch Foxy singing.

http://www.soggydollar.com/webcam.aspx

Hi!

I was looking for similar info. We are on the same cruise and in the Haven as well.

Nice to 'meet' you :)

Catherine, Bob, Ian (14) and Cooper (10)

Hi! I'm assuming you'll be in one of the 2-bedrooms? That's what we choose.

If you look on the NCL board, Spaniel Lover has a detailed review of his Escape cruise. He went on this excursion. I asked him about costs and he said $10-15 for food. He didn't get any drinks, but he figures around $10. So, like blue_water said, typical beach prices.

Looking forward to meeting you in a couple of weeks!

• 2 weeks later...
We will be visiting Jost Van Dyke on a NCL tour in February. We will get there pretty early in the morning and leave late morning/very early afternoon.

Can someone give us a general idea of costs for drinks (both alcoholic and non) and breakfast/snacks? I'm pretty sure there is no chair rental here, but if I'm wrong, please correct me.

I'm trying to get a good idea of how much money we should bring with us for the excursion.

Also, if you have any recommendations for certain drinks (besides the pain killer), food or which bar to visit, let me know!

Thanks!

Brookie,

We just took the NCL excursion to JVD on January 29th while aboard the Gem.

The ride over on the 'Rebel Yell' catamaran took about 45 minutes. If your cruise has you at Tortola for 1/2 a day, you will need to be at the end of the pier by 7:00 am. Our excursion had 60 pax on board.

The crew of the 'Rebel Yell' offer water while enroute to JVD and answer any questions any of the guests have regarding the islands that you pass on the way there.

On our day, the water was calm so the 'Rebel Yell' was able to pull right up on the beach and the guests walked down a few steps into knee high water and were on the beach.

The Captain, Claudia explained to us that if the water was a bit rougher, we would have had to enter the water at chest level and swim ashore, so bring a water proof bag to put your beach towels and other items you don't want to get wet just in case.

The Soggy Dollar bar offers complimentary beach chairs (Adirondack chairs or plastic chairs, no loungers) the bar and small restaurant were open at the Soggy Dollar and breakfast was being served.

Alcoholic drink prices at Soggy Dollar were from $5.00 to $10.00. Bottled water and soda were in the $2.00- $4.00 range. If I remember correctly you could get breakfast for around $10.00- $15.00 per person depending on what you ordered. ( we didn't order any food).

We didn't check out the other beach bars, rather, just enjoyed swimming and lounging around the Soggy Dollar. There is not a fresh water shower available to rinse off after swimming in the ocean. The Soggy Dollar does have rest rooms, but I strongly recommend wearing footwear if you have to use the restrooms as the facilities are a bit, well, austere, lol.

The sand is nice and white and the water was crystal clear.

The 'Rebel Yell" departs from JVD at 11:15 am for the return 45 minute ride to the pier. While enroute back they provide complimentary water and rum punch and soda and beer were available for purchase.

It was a nice relaxing 3 hours at a very nice beach.

Enjoy your cruise !

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

Brookie,

The ride over on the 'Rebel Yell' catamaran took about 45 minutes. If your cruise has you at Tortola for 1/2 a day, you will need to be at the end of the pier by 7:00 am. Our excursion had 60 pax on board.

The crew of the 'Rebel Yell' offer water while enroute to JVD and answer any questions any of the guests have regarding the islands that you pass on the way there.

On our day, the water was calm so the 'Rebel Yell' was able to pull right up on the beach and the guests walked down a few steps into knee high water and were on the beach.

The Captain, Claudia explained to us that if the water was a bit rougher, we would have had to enter the water at chest level and swim ashore, so bring a water proof bag to put your beach towels and other items you don't want to get wet just in case.

The Soggy Dollar bar offers complimentary beach chairs (Adirondack chairs or plastic chairs, no loungers) the bar and small restaurant were open at the Soggy Dollar and breakfast was being served.

Alcoholic drink prices at Soggy Dollar were from $5.00 to $10.00. Bottled water and soda were in the $2.00- $4.00 range. If I remember correctly you could get breakfast for around $10.00- $15.00 per person depending on what you ordered. ( we didn't order any food).

We didn't check out the other beach bars, rather, just enjoyed swimming and lounging around the Soggy Dollar. There is not a fresh water shower available to rinse off after swimming in the ocean. The Soggy Dollar does have rest rooms, but I strongly recommend wearing footwear if you have to use the restrooms as the facilities are a bit, well, austere, lol.

The 'Rebel Yell" departs from JVD at 11:15 am for the return 45 minute ride to the pier. While enroute back they provide complimentary water and rum punch and soda and beer were available for purchase.

Enjoy your cruise !

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

Thanks for this! Our pick-up time is at 7:30, so I'm assuming our schedule will be close to yours.

Brookie,

Enjoy your cruise !

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

Was this Rebel Yell excursion to JVD via the cruise ship?

Recommend getting away from Soggy $ after getting a drink and checking out Seddy's (great Bushwacker and magic/card tricks) and Ivan's, a nice vibe and not as congested as Soggy. You won't be too bad in the morning though...

http://www.soggydollar.com/webcam.aspx

I agree - Soggy Dollar is great and the draw, but Seddy's One Love is my favorite. And Getrude's as well where she put the bottle of rum, handed me a diet coke and said "go ahead, make it".

If you come on Rebel Yell, they say the chairs at Soggy are free. We wanted to escape the bigger crowds there and paid $5 each to Gertrude for some chairs. Less people and still as amazingly beautiful.

I agree - Soggy Dollar is great and the draw, but Seddy's One Love is my favorite. And Getrude's as well where she put the bottle of rum, handed me a diet coke and said "go ahead, make it".

If you come on Rebel Yell, they say the chairs at Soggy are free. We wanted to escape the bigger crowds there and paid $5 each to Gertrude for some chairs. Less people and still as amazingly beautiful.

Yes thanks for mentioning Gertrude's - great spot and a wonderful lady!

do you have the costs? I'd love to maximize our time on White Bay, JVD as well.

We are 5 adults and the cost is $450+$60 Fuel cost for the day. It will be our boat for the day and that includes transportation to and from the pier. We are doing the Jost van Dyke tour. Hope this helps

We are 5 adults and the cost is $450+$60 Fuel cost for the day. It will be our boat for the day and that includes transportation to and from the pier. We are doing the Jost van Dyke tour. Hope this helps

Thank you! I heard back from them - they may actually not be there in August when I'm there so I have to follow up in a few months (they have an out of town obligation).

• 3 weeks later...

Where is Gertrude's in relation to where Rebel Yell drops off?

We don't normally do ship excursions, but with the limited time in Tortola, this time we are.

Don't want to have to taxi to another location to get a ferry.

Head left when you get dropped off. I believe it is the first bar past Soggy Dollar.

If you have the option of an early or late excursion. By the way, costs for Pain Killers at Soggy Dollar are $7/each. They aren't very big, but since it was 10:00 in the morning, we were okay with that. :)

• 1 month later...

We took the NCL excursion on the Rebel Yell last Wednesday. Being on a cruise we didn't need food. There is a menu but no prices online with the webcam. We had 2 Painkillers, 1 Bloody Mary, and 1 beer. The Painkiller was tasty but I actually enjoyed the Bloody Mary the most. Our tab for the 4 drinks with tip was $46. We were on the early trip and while there were people on the beach, we were the first footprints away from the bars. The water is deep just right off edge of the beach which is why it is so quickly colorful. Small children would need to be watched but adults won't have any problems. There wasn't much current and it was great to bob in the cool water. We liked that there were plenty of chairs and plenty of both sun and shade. We shared a rum punch on the trip back since we felt no pain after the Painkillers!

That's the way to enjoy White Bay! You'll see just how packed the beach and water gets in the early afternoon on the webcam, especially by Soggy $.

Our favorite drink when on Jost is Seddy's Bushwacker, equally as strong as the Painkillers. But both are appropriate when there!

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks Vinegar Joe. I see youngestof9, you are also on our 8/20 cruise. Did you make the "Rebel Yell" excursion ? I believe it is sold out now. Being such an early departure I felt more comfortable taking the NCL excursion. Thanks Gerry.

Brookie,

Enjoy your cruise !

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

Edited by buckeye rob