Rhapsody of The Seas, which cruise terminal in Venice

rettie

I understand Venice has two terminals, one for large ships and one for small ones. Can anyone tell me which one Rhapsody of The Seas will leave from? Trying to decide where to stay in Venice pre cruise as no flights from Edinburgh will get us there in time on departure day. Thanks

The one for large ships. It's called "crociere". There are signs pointing u to the different cruise lines/docks. Just follow the RC sign.

By land u can get there with the "people mover" from Piazzale Roma.

By sea - with Alilaguna Linea Blue.

We've stayed at a hotel 5 min walk from San Marco, because we wanted to board the Alilaguna from the airport and then from our hotel to the "crociere". It was very very convenient.

Other choose to stay at a hotel near Piazzale Roma.

Couple of times stayed in Mestre near Mestre Station. Doing same in September. 35 euros in taxis to port No problems re ship as docks close to each other. Hotels on island very expensive and great difficulty dragging luggage over cobbles, bridges or on /off water taxis.

Couple of times stayed in Mestre near Mestre Station.

Hotels on island very expensive and great difficulty dragging luggage over cobbles, bridges or on /off water taxis.

1. This was our 5th visit to Venice. The first 4 visits we stayed in Mestre (tight budget) and took the train morning and evening to Venice. It was a drag.

2. For the cruise, I've given myself 2 tasks: I) To find a good & clean hotel up to 150 Euro per night. II) No bridges to cross.

3. Found hotel Fontana (150 Euro, incl. b'fast, wi-fi, elevator and taxes:)), 3min walk from the Alillaguna Blue "San Zaccaria" stop. No bridges, no cobblestone streets. "Straight sailing".

4. Alillaguna Blue line starts at the airport and ends at the cruise terminal. It has porters that take care of your suitcases and a special area for luggage. It's not your regular vaporetto/water taxi.

5. We arrived 2 days before the cruise, and we thoroughly enjoyed being in Venice early in the morning, and late afternoon, before and after the crowds. Totally different experience being in the city vs. travelling by train to Mestre back and forth...

There is a Jet2 Flight 7.30am from Edinburgh and get into Venice 11.15am. RCCL use this flight when you book it through them. We are on Rhapsody in July and that is the flight they have booked us on. Last time we left from Venice is was terminal 107 and there is a duty free shop there where you can purchase your two bottles of wine to take on board.

Alillaguna Blue line starts at the airport and ends at the cruise terminal. It has porters that take care of your suitcases and a special area for luggage. It's not your regular vaporetto/water taxi.

Alilaguna is a nice way to go from Airport to Cruise terminal or from Ship to airport.

Just note that the trip is almost two hours.

FzrAaoU55wY

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Still undecided on the actual cruise at moment it's Rhapsody of the Seas v. Norwegian Star but going NCL will defo mean an overnighter in Venice and going out with Jet2 and coming back with another carrier. So bit of investigation to do. Its husband's 65th so got to get this right!

Did this last year and all worked out very well.

We stay in falkirk so flew out from Edinburgh with Easy Jet on the Friday afternoon. We had originally been booked into a hotel in mestre but I didn't like the look of it so after some research found a beautiful hotel about 10 kilometres outside Venice. Hotel name is Anthony palace and its in marcon. They have a shuttle bus service that pick you up from the airport for 5 Euros per person. They also run a shuttle into Venice for approx 7 euros pp each way. Not a lot to do outside hotel but there is a restaurant across the road. We found by the time we arrived and had something to eat we were tired enough to get an early night. Hotel serves breakfast but I wouldn't rave about it. Booked shuttle for the Saturday morning and the driver dropped us off right at the people mover, purchased tickets at the machine and you get off at the first stop. Cruise ship is about a 5-10 min walk.

On return phoned shuttle to pick us up in Venice and the hotel had our room ready as flight back to Edinburgh was on the Sunday. Dropped off our luggage and got the next shuttle back into Venice where we found fab pizzeria for lunch. Had booked the shuttle to pick us up early sat evening but got so engrossed in Venice we phoned the hotel and they booked us in for a later pick up. Loved it and doing it again this year in October on rhapsody. I think for all the shuttle services we were approx 76 euros that was for 2 return trips to airport and 4 trip into Venice. You can pay up to 60 euros for a taxi one way into Venice then you have to navigate lots of bridges. Hope this info helps.

I am taking a flight from the US that lands in Venice the morning of the cruise at 9:05am. What would be the quickest option for getting to the pier to check in, etc and have some time left to explore Venice a little before boarding the ship for good? Departure is 5:00pm, so I assume that would leave you until mayb 4:00pm?

I am taking a flight from the US that lands in Venice the morning of the cruise at 9:05am. What would be the quickest option for getting to the pier to check in, etc and have some time left to explore Venice a little before boarding the ship for good? Departure is 5:00pm, so I assume that would leave you until mayb 4:00pm?

When we boarded Rhapsody last October, she was docked at the farthest pier from where the people mover would let you off. If you take the people mover, it's a hike.

With regard to your question, once you checked in and board the earliest around 11:00-11:30am, you would have to be back on board by 3:00-3:30pm for departure at 5:00pm. Not enough time to even do a "drive by shooting" to see Venice.

If you're really intent on seeing some of Venice, you could take the boat ride that circles Venice and the Grand Canal from Piazzale Roma then taxi back to the ship.

When we boarded Rhapsody last October, she was docked at the farthest pier from where the people mover would let you off. If you take the people mover, it's a hike.With regard to your question, once you checked in and board the earliest around 11:00-11:30am, you would have to be back on board by 3:00-3:30pm for departure at 5:00pm. Not enough time to even do a "drive by shooting" to see Venice.

If you're really intent on seeing some of Venice, you could take the boat ride that circles Venice and the Grand Canal from Piazzale Roma then taxi back to the ship.

We are staying post cruise to see Venice, but I figured between 1130-330 we would be able to walk around St Mark's or grab some lunch or do something in Venice versus just sitting on the ship.

Is taking a water taxi from airport easier or am I better off with some other method? I've never been to Venice or the airport so I'm totally unfamiliar.

We are staying post cruise to see Venice, but I figured between 1130-330 we would be able to walk around St Mark's or grab some lunch or do something in Venice versus just sitting on the ship. Is taking a water taxi from airport easier or am I better off with some other method? I've never been to Venice or the airport so I'm totally unfamiliar.

Depends on your budget. A water taxi is very expensive (YMMV).

I've enjoyed the Alilaguna blue from airport directly to the cruise terminal, it leaves you right on the dock. On the way, you can enjoy seeing Venice from the water. It takes about 2 hours.

Re: checking in and then going "out" again. From Piazzale Roma to San Marco is ~45 min easy walk. There are signs. We like walking in Venice, soaking up the atmosphere. Since 4 out of 5 visits to Venice we stayed at Mestre, we used to walk from the train station (Piazzale Roma) to San Marco/surroundings and back in the evening and I've timed the duration....

Depends on your budget. A water taxi is very expensive (YMMV).

I've enjoyed the Alilaguna blue from airport directly to the cruise terminal, it leaves you right on the dock. On the way, you can enjoy seeing Venice from the water. It takes about 2 hours.

Re: checking in and then going "out" again. From Piazzale Roma to San Marco is ~45 min easy walk. There are signs. We like walking in Venice, soaking up the atmosphere. Since 4 out of 5 visits to Venice we stayed at Mestre, we used to walk from the train station (Piazzale Roma) to San Marco/surroundings and back in the evening and I've timed the duration....

So, water taxi from the airport is a 2 hour ride? There is no quicker route to get from airport to terminal?

So, water taxi from the airport is a 2 hour ride? There is no quicker route to get from airport to terminal?

There is water taxi (last I've checked it was ~150 Euro for a ride). This should be quick.:)

And there is Alilaguna Blue (see post #7), which takes ~2 hours from airport to cruise terminal. This should cost 15 Euro pp.

There is water taxi (last I've checked it was ~150 Euro for a ride). This should be quick.:)

And there is Alilaguna Blue (see post #7), which takes ~2 hours from airport to cruise terminal. This should cost 15 Euro pp.

Thanks! Water taxi it is. I'd rather spend the money and get there quicker. Does this need to be pre-booked before I arrive, or do they run regularly and you just get one once youre there?

Water taxi from VCE to St Marco is 25 to 30 minutes (water bus is 2 hours). Water taxi can either be booked at a kiosk in the arrival hall or booked at the web. Price will also depend on number of luggage.

http://Http://mogenshallas.com cruise reviews

from my iPad using Forums

There is no quicker route to get from airport to terminal?

There should be not much traffic by the time you get out of the aiport and a plain ole land taxi is probably the quickest (and almost cheapest - the 5 bus is the cheapest) way to get to the pier. .

There should be not much traffic by the time you get out of the aiport and a plain ole land taxi is probably the quickest (and almost cheapest - the 5 bus is the cheapest) way to get to the pier. .

Thank you. We will probably splurge, and pay the $$$ to take the private water taxi, just since how often do you get to get to Venice and have the opportunity to take a water taxi?

Can anyone recommend a particular private water taxi company?

We will probably splurge, and pay the $$$ to take the private water taxi, just since how often do you get to get to Venice and have the opportunity to take a water taxi?

You can take the same $$$ (or less) and spend it on a boat ride as Wine-O suggested. That will check that riding-boat-in-Venice box. Bonus, such a ride will be much more scenic than the water taxi ride between the airport and cruise pier (which will be simply on open water and see very little of Venice itself).