My Anthem of the Seas ~~ LONG review

This cruise fell short of my expectations in many areas. We have only ever had wonderful experiences with RC, have been on the Majesty, Voyager, Oasis, & Allure as well as Crown Princess. We plan to sail the Harmony this fall and have already booked. But I am worried about some of the quality issues that we found on the Anthem and whether they will be seen on the Harmony as well.

I'm going to qualify this review with the fact that we traveled with a large group - 21 total - of family and friends with 2 babies and 5 other kids across 7 cabins. Apparently, you get 'group' status with 8+ cabins, so we fell short of that and didn't get many of the perks. We had a few balcony cabins, one family had a junior suite (which was surprisingly roomy (I'd never seen one) but not a 'suite' in the way I thought of, and one inside cabin with virtual balcony. So we got to see quite a few different types of cabins. But, large groups have their own fair share of complications, we've cruised with just the two of us adults, with us and our two kids, and with us, our two kids and one other cabin with my mother and sister. This was, by far, a more complicated venture and some of our hiccups may have been due to the coordination of people.

Some have asked about whether you see the Statue of Liberty from the ship - and the answer is yes!

FullSizeRender%202_1.jpg

Getting onboard:

FullSizeRender%203_1.jpgIMG_6460.jpg

We were in room DO 6668 - an obstructed view balcony, which was just fine. My mother was in 6660, which is on a corner and had a much bigger balcony for the same cost (just FYI).

View of our obstruction (when we were docked in the Bahamas)

balcony.jpg

I absolutely LOVED the storage in the cabin - two tall cabinets for hanging clothes and multiple shelves & drawers was amazing since we like to dress up for dinners. Our suitcases slid easily under the beds, so we were able to unpack everything we had for two adults and two children comfortably in the room. Also, the bathroom storage was phenomenal - under sink long shelves as well as a long counter and shelves for toiletry items. We also loved the curved shower door - it gave a lot more room than traditional cruise showers and the water pressure was better than our home! The water temperature, however, was molten-lava HOT and our kids had to be very careful not to turn the water to hot in the sink or the shower because they would have been literally scalded! Our kids slept in the pull out together, but when it was pulled out, it nearly butted up against the dresser with drawers, so you couldn't get much out of the bottom drawer and you had to turn sideways to get to the balcony. Made it seem VERY crowded for four people to get ready in the morning. We went into a Junior Suite that our friends booked and thought it looked nearly twice as wide! It also had a bunk, which I would think would be really nice to have in some regular cabins for people who travel with kids. Not sure why that's not an option - would certainly save floor space!!

RoyalIQ App: This was something we couldn't really get a good answer to before we sailed. The Compass on the app is nice because you can add things to your personal calendar/agenda, which is kinda fun to keep track. I usually pack a highlighter and just use the regular compass. Didn't they used to be a back-front CARD? These are sheets of paper and much harder to fold and carry around. The texting was $7.95 per device, per cruise. Since we had 21 people and 7 cabins, it was necessary for us. But two of our party couldn't ever get it to work - which was strange. GS couldn't help, they had them delete and re-download in port and it still didn't work. Mostly it worked fine for the rest of us, though. Good to keep in touch, but I kind of prefer not carrying my phone around on the ship at all - sort of part of the fun of cruising, IMO, to be 'unplugged'. (Feeling a little like an old codger with that! )

Staff: I felt that the staff on this ship were not trained well in customer interaction and customer service. The exception was our Dining Room dinner staff in American Icon each night who were both FABULOUS -- both with general service, management of our large group, friendliness, and attentiveness and care to the children at our table. Our stateroom attendant was also very nice and did a wonderful job and one of the bartenders at Boleros was very friendly, so I returned to that bar multiple times just to get a smile. However, the majority of the staff that I interacted with, especially at Sorrentos, 270, and Bionic Bar were not friendly or attentive at all. Most of the time, they would not even speak when we walked up to the counter - just looked at us until we ordered - and then did not speak again when handing over the requested item - just handed it over and moved on. On all of our other sailings, we have had good experiences with staff who would smile at us and ask, "What would you like?" or "What can I get you?" and then say something kind when giving you a plate or cup. This staff was overall the most apathetic group I have encountered in five RC cruises and it really affected my experience. It was as if they couldn't be bothered to smile and speak to guests. This was across the board at all the bars, small venues & eateries, etc. It seemed almost understaffed in general with dishes sitting on tables at Sorrentos, in Windjammer sometimes for over 20 minutes, few bar staff walking around during shows, etc.

Upselling: We were absolutely annoyed by the upselling in the dining rooms during meals during this sailing - especially the first few nights. This has never been done on our previous sailings and I hope they discontinue it ASAP. If we want to book a specialty restaurant, we will do so before the sailing or on our own. Especially on this ship, where you can't MISS the specialty restaurants because they are in the main spaces and you walk by them multiple times a day, the upselling at dinner is unnecessary and off-putting. Also, things like the Galley Tour or the Sushi Class should be things we could book ahead of sailing instead of having someone walk around pitching it to us at dinner when we are trying to enjoy each other's company. I can tell you that I immediately say no, whether I'm interested or not because I'm annoyed at the interruption of my meal and the 'selling' atmosphere.

Dining Experience: We booked this ship when the dining was set up to rotate between each of the four dining rooms with different decor and different menus. That was something we were most excited for and chose this ship for! Then, only a few months before the sailing, we were told that it was no longer going to be and My Time Dining would replace it. The current way of dining is terrible, IMO! The ship was designed for Dynamic Dining and the replacement is full of lines and confusion. Most nights, there were lines 10-15 people deep on both sides of the entrance to the dining rooms. One for 'reservations' and one for 'walk ins'. The 'hostess' was downright rude some nights and didn't remember us from night to night. We booked 8 months ahead and Traditional Dining was 'sold out'. We emailed and called multiple times before sailing and could never get a straight answer on how our dining would work with that many people. When we got on board, we went to the dining room the first day to try to figure out how to sit together and were reluctantly given two tables at American Icon and told that we would have a reservation at 5:30pm each night (it was that or 8:30pm, which for obvious reasons would work since we had small children and babies with us!). Each night, at least someone from our party was stopped at the entrance by the hostess with the iPad and told to stand in the line for people with reservations - even though others were already seated. The menus were, honestly, quite boring. There was so much more variety on the other ships' menus....and I was surprised to find that the menus had very little international flair and so many things that were repeated. We've always had a Surf & Turf option on one of the formal nights and that was not an option this sailing. There was lobster tail one night, but only Prime Rib occasionally or NY Strip steak on the classic menu all week. The food itself was fine - hot and fresh. But overall we expected more because we thought we would have 4 different restaurants with 4 different, varied menus to choose from. We already have reserved the Harmony for Sept 2017 and Traditional Dining is already 'sold out' - it seems like maybe the My Time Dining is limiting the number of people who get to reserve traditional? Again, I feel like an old codger complaining about the 'old way' like this and we're not even 40 yet!

Activities: The fact that we could not sign up for ANY activities except iFly and North Star until we were onboard, and mostly they were just 'show up and wait in line and hope to get a chance' was also extremely frustrating. The bumper cars, circus school, rollerskating, etc. were a big part of why my children wanted us to choose this ship and why we thought it would be a good idea, too. But the waiting in line, not knowing if we would get a chance before having to go to a previously scheduled dinner or show was very frustrating and quite frankly, a waste of time. They were also offered at strange times, in my opinion. My daughter never got the chance to roller skate because it was mostly offered from 4-7pm and we had a 5:30 dinner reservation each night. Also, not having access to when those types of activities would be offered on future days (via the Royal IQ app or cruise compass) was also frustrating. I realized toward the end of the cruise that there was a screen inside the SeaPlex which had times for the next few days on it, but by then, we were almost done with the cruise sailing. The fact that the Air Hockey tables in the SeaPlex are an additional charge also was very annoying. Arcade games have always been an additional charge, but usually in a separate place. The air hockey being a paid activity in the middle of the Seaplex of other games that are free was very frustrating to parents with younger children. Also, my 7yo son wanted to play XBox, and the game being played the day we were there was Call of Duty, which is NOT appropriate for kids. I was shocked and appalled that it was in the main family space - something I would expect in the teen lounge! I tried to sign up for the Escape Room about 2 hours after getting on board the first day and it was sold out already. It was promoted on the website, but we were not allowed to reserve it until onboard and then sold out immediately. Also very frustrating. For those who exercise, she running track is very narrow and through the some really active/crowded parts of the ship - like right in the path of the line for Rock Climbing and between sun chairs on the pool deck by the entrance/exit to the North Star. We had two people who ran during the sailing and they said it was very difficult to keep their pace and dodge other people/kids.

IMG_6483.jpgIMG_6501_1.jpg

We were signed up for iFly the last day of the cruise at 9am. That morning, we went to the Seaplex about 8:40 to be sure we were early and the doors to get outside were locked. It was very windy that morning and the doors to the 15th floor decks were also closed. There was absolutely no one that could tell us whether iFly was cancelled - no staff at the doors, no staff in the Seaplex that knew anything about it and Guest Services said they didn't know and couldn't tell us when it would reopen or if we would be able to reschedule. We found our way to the iFly entrance a bit later and it was shut tightly with no notice posted anywhere. So, none of our party got to participate in that activity which was one of the big reasons we booked this ship. In fact, my children were so excited for it that they are begging me to take them to the local iFly place which will now cost me hundreds of dollars for an activity we were supposed to get free with our cruise. Boo. Guess I should have known better than to book on the last day. But, if an activity is cancelled, the guest should be notified immediately and the staff should try to work them into any openings there may be or even add openings for cancelled times when it is no fault of our own.

Continued (for more images).....

Continued from above.....

Shows: I loved the idea of 270 and was excited for that venue. I thought Spectra's Cabaret was a good show, lots of lights, music and dancing (but not much plot) but would have liked to have seen some smaller shows at that venue as well. The Symphony thing was totally boring (literally just watching pre-taped video of the orchestra playing songs on the big screen) and I never saw the RoboShow EVER on our cruise compass or Royal IQ app as being offered. I never heard of it until I stopped at the screen outside an elevator one day! There is no reason that those aerial performers shouldn't do exhibitions or small shows during the day for kids and families like the divers and water performers do on the Oasis/Allure!! What a waste of a great space. Two or three days during breakfast hours, we saw the performers warming up/practicing, but there was nothing else offered in there and it was a huge disappointment to us and our kids. The Gift was such an odd show. I had heard that it was not very well received (other reviews online) but I thought that perhaps that was from people who didn't really like theater or shows in general. I love shows - have always said that Royal Caribbean has the absolute best shows on the seas, but this one fell completely flat. The singers are talented, they were the same as We Will Rock You, but they all were overacting and the plot of The Gift was really pretty terrible. It didn't really make sense, the scene shifts were confusing and the songs were not interesting to listen to. Some in our party didn't really like We Will Rock You either, but I thought it was kinda fun (aside from the overacting). If you like Queen songs, you'll be happy, but the show in general didn't excite me like Chicago & Hairspray and we loved Come Fly with Me and Blue Planet on the Oasis/Allure. I felt like the show times were awkward each day - 7pm and 9pm are odd times for shows, IMO. 7pm is nearly impossible to go to if you have dinner in a dining room or specialty restaurant beforehand. I thought I remembered shows being at 8:30 and 10pm on the other ships. There was only ONE night of Headliner show and the other shows/comedians were just so-so, honestly. I also was frustrated that we didn't know what shows would be offered on other days during the sailing. When sailing with kids, it is really helpful to plan and sometimes things have to change. We wanted to have our kids see Spectra with us, but had no idea until the night before if it would be offered again or at what times in the future. We didn't know that the headliner was only one night and some in our party missed the show entirely. I remembered on other ships knowing all of the shows/times for the whole week - but I don't remember how. The screens outside the elevator were virtually worthless on this ship. I loved on Oasis/Allure that you could click on restaurants and see how full they are and then click for a map to get there. I am pretty tech-savvy and was not able to make those screens worth stopping at for any reason on Anthem.

Port Stops: We didn't choose this cruise for the stops, we chose it for the ship. We didn't get off the boat in Port Canaveral (FL: Been there, Done that ). In Coco Cay, we rented some umbrellas and let the kids play on the beach! It was $25 per umbrella, but well worth it for the sunny day. This was a nice time of year for the beach because it wasn't too hot, but the sun was really nice. The water was a bit cold, but the kids didn't seem to care. I was excited to know that the drink package worked there, but the only drinks on the beach were beers and the Coco Loco drink. The sodas were poured out of 2 liters and the beers were in coolers so they were just sort of cold.

IMG_6515.jpg

IMG_6508_1.jpg

In Nassau, we went to Atlantis Aquaventure. LOTS of GoPro footage of the waterslides by my kids, but you probably don't wanna see that! LOL The kids all had a fantastic time and the meal voucher with the excursion was good!

IMG_6521_1.jpg

Adventure Ocean: We had a lot of kids in our group on this cruise. They were ages 10, 9, 7, 6, 4, and two babies under age 1. My previous experience with AO was when my two children were 5 and 7 on the Allure and they were 7 and 10 on this sailing. I was disappointed in the staff and the activities this time. My 4yo niece went the second day and her mom was told there were no more pagers available for that room. Within an hour, she was upset and they called all the staterooms listed on her pickup sheet until they got someone (a grandmother) to come get her. The staff member said (somewhat snottily), "We tried calling her STATEROOM" like she should have dropped her child off and gone back and sat in the room in case she was needed!? The young rooms should have enough pagers for ALL kids. When we observed that room, there were around 20 kids age 3-5 and two staff members. The staff member was drawing a ship on big paper and the kids were sitting around her, but there was little freedom for the kids to do anything that the whole group wasn't doing because no one else could supervise. The kids couldn't choose if they wanted to do the group drawing or play on the slide or color - they had to be in the big group who were drawing at that moment. Anyone who works with preschool age kids knows that they need options and choices to be happy. The 4yo never wanted to go back for the rest of the week, and there were absolutely no other activities for kids other than meet-and-greets with characters. I remembered more fun things for kids on the Allure. Also, for my older kids, I felt like there were mostly activities for the 6-11 year old rooms that were dodge-ball types games and not nearly as many drama shows, creative activities, science experiments, etc. My kids never went to the science room and I never saw any kids in there the whole week! They said that they almost always played 'rough ball games'. The staff almost seemed as if they were forced into that job and weren't really people who loved kids and loved to be there and were excited to try new things. Also, TWO staff members for all those kids?! And those 2 staff members in each room also had to check kids in and out?? Woefully understaffed, in my opinion.

WOW bands: We bought two Ultimate Beverage packages and were excited to use our WOW bands so that we didn't have to carry our seapass cards around the ship. Especially the females who don't always have pockets and don't want to carry a bag around the ship. But at nearly all of the bars, we had to take off our WOW band to hand it to the bartender because their scanners are not long enough to reach a customer's arm unless you are standing right in front of the register. Poor planning and execution on something that was supposed to make things more convenient for the guests. Also, the lack of Freestyle machines on this ship is appalling. I counted FOUR places total - Sorrentos had two (one of which was nearly always out of something), Windjammer had two (again, twice we went and it was not stocked) and the Seaplex (all the way at the back of the ship, through the whole Seaplex by the hot dog stand). There is no soda machine in the Solarium, none in Cafe Promenade, there is no soda machine on the pool deck (inside or outside pools), & there is no soda machine in 270 cafe. Also, as someone who doesn't drink coffee in the morning and didn't always carry my cup wherever I went, you cannot get a cup of soda at Sorrentos or Cafe Promenade (they don't have soda wells behind their counters) and the bars are all closed in the morning on the Esplanade. If you don't have your cup, you can't get anything to drink but water or coffee/tea unless you go to Windjammer or find a pool bar - and the two times I got soda at a bar, the mix was simply terrible. For soda drinkers who pay for the package, this is very annoying. There was one day where the bartender walking around the pool had specialty drinks in flashy cups and also in regular cups. But if you have the beverage package and want one of those special drinks, if they don't have it in a regular cup, you have to pay $3.95 for the cup or go to the bar and ask for the drink yourself.

The ship itself is well maintained and pretty. There is a lot of art on board which is fun and some are even interactive. It felt very 21st century with lights and displays and movement and sound. We joked that it was a 'hipster ship' because of the decor of the furniture and artwork! The staff did a nice job of keeping things clean and gleaming all around the ship during the day. The indoor pool was necessary sailing out of NJ, but the water was pretty cold - we had blue-lipped, chattering kids multiple times. It would have been nice to somehow have warmer water, but I'm sure that is not cost effective. I felt like this ship was much more crowded than previous ships - the Oasis class didn't feel nearly as narrow. I think some of that is due to the fact that more of this ship is indoors (because of sailing out of NJ and down the Atlantic coast), but the Royal Esplanade felt crowded ALL the time, I had to dodge people constantly, and there just seemed to be more tight spaces and walkways than I thought other ships had.

Overall, we did not have as fabulous an experience as other ships and would not sail on Anthem again - nor will I probably pick another Quantum Class ship. We really missed all the smaller shows, the ice shows & aqua theater, the multiple open spaces to sit, walk, etc. and the friendly staff and dining experience of the Oasis Class ships. Hopefully, our Harmony sailing this fall will make up for it!?

Happy to answer any questions for you!;p

Thanks for your review. We are getting rather disenchanted with Royal Caribbean as well. And the issues that you bring up are similar to the complaints that others have mentioned recently.

just read the first paragraph and then did a scroll thru...love the family shots...will read later.....like that you added the good with the bad.....but as you stated in the beginning a large group does make any cruise more complicated for staff as well as the family/friend unit itself.....My first cruise with RCI was in the early 90s......love the new ships...but staff on land and sea have much to be desired in the last few years...

Well, decided to come back sooner than I thought....did a quick read, enjoyed your humor.....you really hit on situations unique to this ship which I though made for a valuable review..also I liked your info on drink packages. I am leaving on Anthem the 26th...so I do have a few questions?

How was embarkation and having your cruise card waiting at your cabin?

Any suggestions on what not to miss?

Is it true the drink package can not be used at the bionic bar...? Are there other places as well?

Thx...L:Dri

How was embarkation and having your cruise card waiting at your cabin?

Embarkation was kind of a mess. We did the shuttle from the Embassy Suites, which was fine (other than our driver having to pull over and sit on the side of the NJ Turnpike for a few minutes to wait on the other shuttle driver because he didn't know where we were going - which made my sister a bit nervous since her toddler and baby weren't in car seats!). But when we got into the embarkation area, there were people everywhere and we couldn't discern what line to get in or why people were in different lines. I asked the lady at the entrance to the security screening and she said "Come through, it's all the same". It was not. We had uploaded our pictures and checked in online, so we should have been in the line with RCI reps just inside the doors. Instead, we went through security and were directed to sit in a set of chairs until a rep came to us with an iPad to check our passports and set sail passes. Then we were shown to another set of chairs to wait to get on the ship. I don't know if we would have saved time by going to the other reps, but just the fact that it wasn't clear and everyone was confused was annoying.

We boarded around 11 or 11:30am and had to wait until the announcement was made around 1pm that the rooms were ready. Our Seapass Cards and soda cups were waiting in the room. We did get our Wow Bands so we could get drinks while we waited. But we were told to stand in Guest Services line and then when we got to the front of that long line, they said Wow bands were being given out in Boleros. Frustrating.

Any suggestions on what not to miss?

Honestly, that's a hard one for me because we missed the two things I really wanted to do (as an adult) on the ship - iFly and Escape Room. My daughter really liked the circus school thing and rock climbing under the stars - kinda cool to hang off the side of a ship at night. ;)

Is it true the drink package can not be used at the bionic bar...? Are there other places as well?

Nope - I used it everywhere. Bionic Bar was not very easy to use because the iPads didn't recognize arm bands/cards very well and the staff member there wasn't very helpful. Seriously, the one time we tried, she was standing off to the side and never even attempted to come over and help even though we clearly were struggling with multiple arm bands and cards to get the thing to even start up. :rolleyes: I used my drink package at the main dining room, poolside, and they have a bar in Windjammer too.

Well, I am surprised there have been no more questions...everyone must be on a cruise.....

I am not going to quote but just comment on your response.

Unfortunate about your misdirection at embarkation...but you had the right attitude.

So the only way I can get a drink b4 i go to my room is purchase the WOW band, what is the cost 5 bucks?

I greatly appreciate your details...with children in tow I commend you on your observations.

I signed up for the escape room and Ifly we'll see if the weather cooperates.....When I did I didn't realized I had to purchase the cart so lost my time for Ifly but was able to secure another reservation on a port day.

My sister was on Harmony 2 weeks ago and said you could not use the drink package on the bionic bar that is why I asked.

I have a few more questions....Did you do North Star and if so what was your opinion......what did you or ur family think of the bumper cars(cute photo), was there always a line?

Hi - are you saying that you can't get any drinks or food that require payment until you get your Seapass card, which you can't get until they open the rooms, which I understand from your and other posts is around 1 PM?

Thanx!

You can make purchases using your set sail pass prior to the cabins being available. Each person in your party will have their own set sail pass and you will use those to check in at the port and to board the ship. If you have prepurchased a drink package, just show them your set sail and get your drink. If you haven't prepurchased a drink package, you can just buy one with your set sail pass just like you would if you had your sea pass card. You don't need to go get WOW bands to make purchases, just use the paper you printed.

Once cabins are available, you can go get your sea pass cards if you want or get them when it is convenient.

Well, I am surprised there have been no more questions...everyone must be on a cruise.....

I am not going to quote but just comment on your response.

Unfortunate about your misdirection at embarkation...but you had the right attitude.

So the only way I can get a drink b4 i go to my room is purchase the WOW band, what is the cost 5 bucks?

I greatly appreciate your details...with children in tow I commend you on your observations.

I signed up for the escape room and Ifly we'll see if the weather cooperates.....When I did I didn't realized I had to purchase the cart so lost my time for Ifly but was able to secure another reservation on a port day.

My sister was on Harmony 2 weeks ago and said you could not use the drink package on the bionic bar that is why I asked.

I have a few more questions....Did you do North Star and if so what was your opinion......what did you or ur family think of the bumper cars(cute photo), was there always a line?

Just typed up a whole long answer and got the CAPTCHA thing and it didn't save. UGH. :mad::mad:

Ifly during port will be good - no chance of them canceling due to weather. I hope Harmony doesn't continue no drink package at the Bionic Bar, I'll be upset with that in Sept!!

North Star was pretty cool - we did it the last day at sea, so it was cold and windy. Half our group didn't like it because it was pretty shakey up there with the wind and there's not much to see but water, water, water, when you are out on the seas! LOL I (and my kids) thought it was pretty cool, though. The kids especially liked that there were binoculars they could look at things on the deck. I think that if I did it again, I would schedule for a port day so that you can see more than just water off the ship!!

There was definitely always a line for bumper cars and roller skating and circus school. We tried to get there 20 min before the activity was scheduled to start to be in the first group. But like I said in my review, I felt like that was wasting time and complicated to try to figure out how to do it and not miss other things (like dinner) because you never knew how long you'd stand in line. My sister & her husband roller skated on port day in Nassau and said it was great because the lines were low since everyone was off the ship!!

I sailed on Grandeur in October and we had trouble with the Freestyle machines running out too. I was hoping it was just a 1 time issue.

We're the Seabands worth the $5? I know you had to take them off of your arm for drinks, but otherwise good?

Also thanks for the detailed review!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sailed on Grandeur in October and we had trouble with the Freestyle machines running out too. I was hoping it was just a 1 time issue.

We're the Seabands worth the $5? I know you had to take them off of your arm for drinks, but otherwise good?

Also thanks for the detailed review!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I thought it was worth it even if I had to take it off. I don't like carrying around a card on the ship. I don't like to carry a bag everywhere I go and I don't always have pockets! :) And they worked on the doors, no problem, which was awesome!

I have a stupid question that probably has been asked a thousand times but since I'm late to the game and didn't realize you get your cards/bands until you get to your room... how do you get into your cabin since the card is your key? does your steward have to open it for you?

I have a stupid question that probably has been asked a thousand times but since I'm late to the game and didn't realize you get your cards/bands until you get to your room... how do you get into your cabin since the card is your key? does your steward have to open it for you?

You're card is on the outside of your room.

Hi - are you saying that you can't get any drinks or food that require payment until you get your Seapass card, which you can't get until they open the rooms, which I understand from your and other posts is around 1 PM?

Thanx!

You use your setsail pass. Sad OP had such a difficult time.. We went in October, didn't schedule anything but Northstar. We were scheduled for late dinning prefer early so we didn't do the rotation. It worked for us. Embarkation was so easy.

hope you have a great cruise