yokohama

chloe kitty

Hello,

I would appreciate some help. We are taking the Diamond Princess cruise out of Yokohama. We will be staying at the Intercontinental Yokohama Grand Hotel for two days prior to the cruise. I have a few questions. 1. What is the best inexpensive way to go from Narita to our hotel? We don't mind taking a train or subway. 2. How far is the cruise terminal from our hotel? 3. We want to go to a few Cat Cafe's, but would love advice on what else to do in Yokohama.

We were in Tokyo a few years ago, so we will not be visiting there on this trip. 4. Are there 100 yen shops in Yokohama? We went to the one in Nagasaki on a previous trip and loved the shop. 5. If we are not in a hurry, what is the best inexpensive way to get back to Narita?

We would really appreciate any help you can give us!!

Thank you.

Hi what cruise are you on? we are on the 26 July out of Yokohama.

Best website for trains is http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

easy to use put in the departure station and arrival station and the date and then just take off all the options of other trains leave the local train.

I havent checked the location of your hotel but I know it is 1940 yen on a direct train takes 2 hours for us when we return from yokohama to narita after our 10 days of JR travel after our cruise. I have used this train several times, takes about 2 hours but no changes. 100 yen shops are everywhere even at the airports so I dont think you will have any probs finding one. I agree they are great shops especially buying last minute little things for the grandkids.

Hi what cruise are you on? we are on the 26 July out of Yokohama.

Best website for trains is http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

easy to use put in the departure station and arrival station and the date and then just take off all the options of other trains leave the local train.

I havent checked the location of your hotel but I know it is 1940 yen on a direct train takes 2 hours for us when we return from yokohama to narita after our 10 days of JR travel after our cruise. I have used this train several times, takes about 2 hours but no changes. 100 yen shops are everywhere even at the airports so I dont think you will have any probs finding one. I agree they are great shops especially buying last minute little things for the grandkids.

Thank you for the info. We leave on July 8, 2015.

there is a bus from the pier around Yokohama cost is 100 yen and it will take you to many of the sights in Yokohama.

If you are walking from your hotel to the pier go into the parking garage on the left side and walk until you see the elevator, then you will not have to haul your luggage up the hill to check in your luggage. There was so much traffic getting to the doors of the port building it was much faster to walk.

The metro/subway was great after we got off the train from the airport.

Loved the dept. store Sogo can buy anything you want or just look at the food on the lower level.

there is a bus from the pier around Yokohama cost is 100 yen and it will take you to many of the sights in Yokohama.

If you are walking from your hotel to the pier go into the parking garage on the left side and walk until you see the elevator, then you will not have to haul your luggage up the hill to check in your luggage. There was so much traffic getting to the doors of the port building it was much faster to walk.

The metro/subway was great after we got off the train from the airport.

Loved the dept. store Sogo can buy anything you want or just look at the food on the lower level.

Thank you for all the info. A few more questions if you don't mind. Is the pier walkable from the Intercontinental Grand Hotel?

If we take the train from Narita to Yokohama station, can we take the subway to a closer location to the hotel? Sogo looks very interesting!

Thanks again.

Thank you for all the info. A few more questions if you don't mind. Is the pier walkable from the Intercontinental Grand Hotel?

If we take the train from Narita to Yokohama station, can we take the subway to a closer location to the hotel? Sogo looks very interesting!

Thanks again.

Yes, you can take the subway from Yokohama station. You will have to change to a different line but it is very easy to do and the signs are excellent (English) sorry I do not know where the Intercontinental is, we stayed at the JAL and it was very easy to walk to the cruise terminal.

For great info and maps I emailed the tourist board of Japan and asked for maps and info on all the ports we were going to and got wonderful info sent to me at no cost. It made planning our trip so easy.

We will be embarking on our cruise in Yokahama on a Sunday. Would it be worth it to get off the ship after checking in, to walk around the immediate area and take pictures before the ship leaves port? Is it an easy process to get off and on the ship once checked in?

We will be embarking on our cruise in Yokahama on a Sunday. Would it be worth it to get off the ship after checking in, to walk around the immediate area and take pictures before the ship leaves port? Is it an easy process to get off and on the ship once checked in?

I do not know if the process is easy to leave once you check into the ship but Yes it is well worth while exploring Yokahama. Just outside the pier building is a little bus cost 1 yen and it will take you for a drive around the city. There is a tourist info booth set up in the terminal and they have lots of info on the city of Yokahama.

I always use the Limousine bus from Narita. It goes right to your hotel.

https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bus_services/narita/index

It's a nice air-conditioned bus and a great way to get to Yokohama after a long flight. You can buy a ticket right at the airport. They will handle your luggage for you.

You'll be in the Minato Mirai area which has lots to do.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3200.html

The Cup Noodle museum is really interesting and fun. And lots of restaurants & shops all around that area.

Have fun!

Thank you go fish 44. Does anyone have any idea how easy (or difficult) it is to get off and on the ship again once you check in?

Why not get in touch with the cruise line and ask them if it is easy to get off the ship once you have embarked. If you cannot disembark, ask the hotel to keep your luggage until 1pm or so and spend the morning looking around Yokohama. They even have a huge China town within easy walking distance of the pier.

The Cup of Noodles Museum is a blast and very easy to get to on the 1 yen bus. Again your hotel will be able to give you good directions.

Hello,

I would appreciate some help. We are taking the Diamond Princess cruise out of Yokohama. We will be staying at the Intercontinental Yokohama Grand Hotel for two days prior to the cruise. I have a few questions. 1. What is the best inexpensive way to go from Narita to our hotel? We don't mind taking a train or subway. 2. How far is the cruise terminal from our hotel? 3. We want to go to a few Cat Cafe's, but would love advice on what else to do in Yokohama.

We were in Tokyo a few years ago, so we will not be visiting there on this trip. 4. Are there 100 yen shops in Yokohama? We went to the one in Nagasaki on a previous trip and loved the shop. 5. If we are not in a hurry, what is the best inexpensive way to get back to Narita?

We would really appreciate any help you can give us!!

Thank you.

You have gotten some very good information and the links provided by Little Nat are great!

1. Personally, I would take the limousine bus. On the link Little Nat provided, go to "pick me up at the airport" and choose your destination as Minatomirai and your alighting point as your hotel name. There are only six buses a day that go door to door (airport to hotel), so if the times don't work well for you, I suggest you just take the limousine bus to Yokohama Station. The cost should be about 3,600 yen (as I recall) and it is a good deal considering the distance covered and the assistance with luggage.

At Yokohama Station, change to the Minatomirai line and go 2 stops to Minatomirai Station. Your hotel should be a short walk. (Your hotel website shows taxi fare between the station and hotel as "0 yen", which means it is not worth taking a taxi.)

You can also take the Narita Express train (N'EX) from Narita to Yokohama Station, but depending on what terminal you come in, it can be a very long walk through the airport (and downstairs) to the train. The cost is about the same, but I prefer the limousine bus because the bus stops are right outside the arrival lobbies of each terminal (a very short walk once you clear Customs) and they do handle your luggage for you.

2. The cruise terminal is at Osanbashi Pier. From your hotel, get back on the Minatomirai Line and go 2 stops to Nihon-Odori Station, which is right at the pier/cruiseport.

3. I am sorry to say that while Cat Cafes were popular for a while, most have gone out of business. I do wish you good luck in finding one. Hopefully, there are more cat lovers in Yokohama than Tokyo!

Little Nat's link and other suggestions above are great.

Chinatown (Motomachi-Chukagai) is 3 stops on the Minataomirai line from your hotel and a fun place to spend some time.......souvenir shopping and a lot of great restaurants (if you like Chinese food).

Yama****a Park is nice for a stroll on a hot day, with great views of the water.

The food hall at Sogo is good too (and air-conditioned!). Enjoy the free samples!

I have never been to the ramen museum, but it definitely has it's fans (my brothers included).

4. For 100 yen shops in Yokohama, you can google "Daiso shops, Yokohama" and find an English page that lists locations. I believe there is one at Yokohama Station, in addition to other locations.

5. For returning to the airport, I would just take the limousine bus or N'EX from Yokohama Station.

I'm sure I have repeated helpful information posted above and mean no disrespect to any previous posters. I was just trying to pull together my thoughts in one post........

Best wishes to all for Happy Cruising......

Kate

I always use the Limousine bus from Narita. It goes right to your hotel.

https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bus_services/narita/index

It's a nice air-conditioned bus and a great way to get to Yokohama after a long flight. You can buy a ticket right at the airport. They will handle your luggage for you.

You'll be in the Minato Mirai area which has lots to do.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3200.html

The Cup Noodle museum is really interesting and fun. And lots of restaurants & shops all around that area.

Have fun!

You have gotten some very good information and the links provided by Little Nat are great!

1. Personally, I would take the limousine bus. On the link Little Nat provided, go to "pick me up at the airport" and choose your destination as Minatomirai and your alighting point as your hotel name. There are only six buses a day that go door to door (airport to hotel), so if the times don't work well for you, I suggest you just take the limousine bus to Yokohama Station. The cost should be about 3,600 yen (as I recall) and it is a good deal considering the distance covered and the assistance with luggage.

At Yokohama Station, change to the Minatomirai line and go 2 stops to Minatomirai Station. Your hotel should be a short walk. (Your hotel website shows taxi fare between the station and hotel as "0 yen", which means it is not worth taking a taxi.)

You can also take the Narita Express train (N'EX) from Narita to Yokohama Station, but depending on what terminal you come in, it can be a very long walk through the airport (and downstairs) to the train. The cost is about the same, but I prefer the limousine bus because the bus stops are right outside the arrival lobbies of each terminal (a very short walk once you clear Customs) and they do handle your luggage for you.

2. The cruise terminal is at Osanbashi Pier. From your hotel, get back on the Minatomirai Line and go 2 stops to Nihon-Odori Station, which is right at the pier/cruiseport.

3. I am sorry to say that while Cat Cafes were popular for a while, most have gone out of business. I do wish you good luck in finding one. Hopefully, there are more cat lovers in Yokohama than Tokyo!

Little Nat's link and other suggestions above are great.

Chinatown (Motomachi-Chukagai) is 3 stops on the Minataomirai line from your hotel and a fun place to spend some time.......souvenir shopping and a lot of great restaurants (if you like Chinese food).

Yama****a Park is nice for a stroll on a hot day, with great views of the water.

The food hall at Sogo is good too (and air-conditioned!). Enjoy the free samples!

I have never been to the ramen museum, but it definitely has it's fans (my brothers included).

4. For 100 yen shops in Yokohama, you can google "Daiso shops, Yokohama" and find an English page that lists locations. I believe there is one at Yokohama Station, in addition to other locations.

5. For returning to the airport, I would just take the limousine bus or N'EX from Yokohama Station.

I'm sure I have repeated helpful information posted above and mean no disrespect to any previous posters. I was just trying to pull together my thoughts in one post........

Best wishes to all for Happy Cruising......

Kate

Hi Kate and Little Nat,

Thank you both for all your helpful info. I will go on the limousine bus web site tonight. I am very sad to hear that the Cat Cafe's have gone out of business. There are two listed online in Yokohama, and I hope they haven't met that fate.

Is it a problem taking luggage on the metro line?

Thanks again,

Ellen

Edited by chloe kitty

I will be arriving in Yokohama on the Celebrity Millennium's transpacific cruise and booking a post-cruise hotel in Tokyo (Shinjuku). Since I'll be traveling alone and have several pieces of luggage, how would you suggest I arrange to make the transfer? I've checked limo services and they seem to charge about US $350, which is too pricey for one person. Yet I don't want to lug my stuff on the train. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Not sure what a taxi would cost but i expect not $350, Its only about half an hour or so by train. The only suggestion I have is to re think what you need to take rather than want to take and see if you can lighten the luggage. there is a luggage delivery service but the one I contacted said to send it 2 days before I needed it at my hotel. The delivery service is very reliable as all things in Japan, I was quoted about 15,000 yen for a large suitcase, Drop off is at various places but the easiest to find is the local 7-11 store. I plan to send my luggage from Odawara (near Mt Fuji) to my airport hotel. There seem to be 7-11 stores all over Japan and also Lawsons which is very similar

Thank you so much for this additional information about the Limo bus. I had already planned to take that but given the search criteria you provided I can now see the times the bus leaves and where to catch it.

Hi Jshli,

It is VERY easy to get off the ship after checking in. Just take your cruise card, as normal and off you go. We did this last October from diamond princess. If you want a nice stroll, get off ship, take pics of ship from the cruise terminal roof, level with deck 3 or 4, then walk towards town but turn left so you get into the maritime park. Lovely flowers, cafes, benches to sit and do a little people watching. If you walk for about 5 mins along the waterfront then head back to town, cross over at a pedestrian crossing and you are close to Chinatown.

We found a small supermarket where we bought 2 bottles wine then took it back on board. No problem with taking it with us, told the security men we had one each, they smiled and on we went. You go thru a separate entrance to the embarking passengers.

Alternatively, turn right when you reach town and head to the red brick warehouses. Sometimes they have a food fair going on, you buy a book of tickets then trade them in for plates of food. A wide choice of stalls. There is a nice cafe with an elephant outside, I think.

Japan is a lovely destination. I would cruise there again, any time.