Viking Air questions and opinions?

acwmom

1- What airlines would Viking use flying to Singapore or Bali; what would they use returning from Sydney?

2- If your connection has an overnight layover, do they provide a hotel?

No way of telling at this point since Viking has yet to sail in this market and has not yet booked air for any of the cruises that will be flying through those cities. Viking does not seem to be wedded to any particular airline or partnership and if you have a preference you can always pay for custom air so that you have some say in your flight arrangements.

For an answer to your second question, I would write to Viking at tellus@vikingcruises.com and not depend on the anecdotal evidence that will appear here. Each situation is different.

I agree with Peregrina...you will have to get the info straight from Viking since no one will have any experience yet with Viking in that region. If I was guessing I would seriously doubt if they would schedule you on flights with an overnight layover someplace along the way

You should discuss that option with your travel agent just to make sure that you get the details right. It can be done but there are timing issues involved and you want to make sure to get them right.

You can also go the route of paying for custom air (Viking Air Plus) and having some say over your flights. Custom air does not give you unlimited choices but it does give you some say in the matter and you will know what your flights are sooner rather than later at the last minute. Also, it helps to do some research in advance of talking with Viking Air so you have an idea of what you find acceptable and what isn't. Of course, if what you find online now for flights is significantly cheaper than what Viking is offering, you may decide to book your own flights anyhow.

Lots of ways to go and waiting until you see what Viking has chosen (which won't be until the end of August, beginning of September) may not be the best--especially if you are looking for business class seats.

Has anyone taken the Viking flight option , paid for it and then requested the money back so that they can book their own flights? This is 5 1/2 months in advance so no flights are booked now.

Has anyone taken the Viking flight option , paid for it and then requested the money back so that they can book their own flights? This is 5 1/2 months in advance so no flights are booked now.

Called Viking...answer is yes. if you have not been ticketed I was told flight costs can be refunded.

We just cancelled our Viking air arrangements for the Sept. 3 Homelands cruise. We received the flight itinerary and did some quick research to find some more convenient flights at less cost. Because we are flying in several days early and leaving from Oslo at the end if the cruise, we could not have input in the selection of flights and knew transfers wouldn't be provided, so making our own arrangements was a reasonable decision. We got an immediate full refund as the Viking flights had not been ticketed.

We just cancelled our Viking air arrangements for the Sept. 3 Homelands cruise. We received the flight itinerary and did some quick research to find some more convenient flights at less cost. Because we are flying in several days early and leaving from Oslo at the end if the cruise, we could not have input in the selection of flights and knew transfers wouldn't be provided, so making our own arrangements was a reasonable decision. We got an immediate full refund as the Viking flights had not been ticketed.

Had the same experience last year same cruise. Supposedly got $1000 each off airfare and I could not find an airfare selling at that price for what was quoted. Like you, we were going in early and leaving later and the quoted price was just for the basic, no change in plans. When I researched I found the flights we wanted, for what Viking had promised on the days we wanted and we saved around $600 for the 2 tickets at the begining price. We thought since it was our first cruise, we needed guidance but realized we needed to man up for 'a fool and his money are quickly parted'. We were going to do the pre stay with them and found those prices to be double what the hotel was charging. Stayed at a comparable hotel, rating wise for $300 a night for the 2 of us. For 3 nights that was a $900 savings and the only thing we would be getting through Viking would be concierge service at the hotel. Now we all know how long that takes and when you figure the cost per hour we thought we must really sound stupid to Viking. We used Arlanda Express(early booking discount) to get to Stockholm and a cab to the hotel. We had the Stockholm Pass that still had time on it and the HOHO got us to the port. In Bergen we used the airport bus to get there. Can't remember for sure but it seems the costs were around $60 each for all the transfers. Not much when you consider what we were saving not using Viking. Now if you are not of adventurous and hearty stock and need pampering and hand holding, Viking may be a good option of these services for you BUT it comes at very high price. That's compared to the money I'm making, maybe for your income, it's reasonable. And by 'you' I mean everyone that is still trying to weigh all the options.

I think there are a lot of factors to consider when deciding whether to use Viking or make your own arrangements. We are doing our own this summer for the midnight sun cruise at a considerable savings over the Viking price and arranging transfers was a piece of cake. We have used Viking Air for 3 river cruises now at great prices that we couldn't have come close to on our own. If we were doing Russia or China or the Mekong or Egypt with Viking I would pay the Viking price for extensions and/or air and transfers because I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be on my own in those places.

The advantage of booking a pre-cruise hotel through a Cruise Line was brought home to me last year.

I was due to cruise on the Europa 2, and had booked an hotel in Hamburg through Hapag-Lloyd.

Two days before I was due to fly in, the hotel advised HL that it was overbooked and my reservation was being cancelled.

HL not only booked, and paid for, an alternative hotel, but advised that the cost of the original hotel could either be refunded or added as OBC to my on board account.

It would have been a considerable hassle had I booked direct with the hotel.

Edited by English Voyager

I think there are a lot of factors to consider when deciding whether to use Viking or make your own arrangements. We are doing our own this summer for the midnight sun cruise at a considerable savings over the Viking price and arranging transfers was a piece of cake. We have used Viking Air for 3 river cruises now at great prices that we couldn't have come close to on our own. If we were doing Russia or China or the Mekong or Egypt with Viking I would pay the Viking price for extensions and/or air and transfers because I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be on my own in those places.

Agreed!

Each situation is different. Last year, for under $600 pp including a deviation fee, we booked though Viking. This year, the Viking price to the same destination wasn't anywhere near the deal it was last year and the choices of flights were not as good; we booked on our own, not so much for the savings but to avoid having to disembark before dawn or to hang around the airport all day.