Arriving in New York and the US for the first time

Peewee14

Hi Everyone,

The guys and Gals off the royal carribean forum pointed me in this direction, I am hoping you can help!

I most be going nuts, We are going on the indy on the 23rd august for the second time out of the UK

However i got a bit carried away on the RCI website, and I have booked us a balcony guarantee on the quantum out of Southampton on the 2nd November now also, this trip to new york wasn't planned at all, but it just seemed a perfect holiday for us before she starts school next year and we have to pay summer holiday prices.

Myself my wife and 3 year old daughter, i am super excited.

I have always wanted to go to the states and especially New York.

We have arranged to stay an extra 4 nights in New york and fly home on the 14th, (can't believe how cheap I got the flights booked through royal Caribbean!

What I need help with is a good affordable hotel in new york, suitable for the 3 of us which is central , there are loads on the internet, but any personal recommendations would be great, and any ideas of must see things while there in November!

The one thing that has always put us off going is the long haul flights, I have no fear of flying I just don't like it with our daughter, although we have done a number of 3 hour flights no problem with her. Thats why this holiday is perfect for us, as we can experience New york, and only have to fly once!

our flight back is out of JFK at 19:40 on Friday the 14th, Which is perfect for us as she will be exhausted from the day and hopefully sleep all the way home.

We will get a car from the port to the hotel

Our budget ideally is under £800 for 4 nights for the 3 of us, the hotel will be a base, but needs to have a good room with space for us, and comfortable as we won't be enjoying new yorks nite life with DD, it will back to the room and spending the evening in. I don't mind going over budget if I have to, but as its a second holiday in a short space of time under budget would be better!

Thanks for any help you can offer!

I saw this posted on another forum. Will you be able to take a small, collapsible stroller for your daughter? The blocks in NYC are long and there will be a lot of walking for a child. If you use public transit, you can fold the stroller up.

You mentioned you would get a car at the port. Did you mean rent a car or get a car service to take you into the city? You don't want or need a car in NYC.

Hi Peewee

When we went to New York it was a few years ago now. We stayed in an Embassy Suites which is now a Conrad (still Hilton) I chose it because it is out of town (ten mins on the subway) and was overlooking the Hudson River. I am sure it's more expensive now it's a Conrad but it's still the one I would go to. Those Times Square hotels are too noisy for me.

We were there a week and in the evenings it was quiet in that area. We would get the subway into the centre (you can get a daily/3 day/weekly pass) and see what we liked and then get back to the hotel in the evenings. Plenty of restaurants and sandwich bars nearby there. It's in Lower Manhattan near the financial district and was just a few minutes walk from the World Trade Center site (in fact that's where we got the subway) We walked along the river one day to get the ferry across to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Also very near to shop at Century 21 !!

It depends on how near you want to be to the action. A friend of mine always stays in the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Tribeca. Again, similar area, but nowhere is far away in New York.

New York is fabulous. But you do NOT want to drive! At the airports and ports, ignore the people asking if you need a taxi. there are appointed officers who will take you to the official cabs and there is a set fare to wherever you want to go. the officer will ask you where you are going - write the cost down and hand it to you and that is what you pay. It's a well thought out system.

Things to see - The Freedom Tower was just being built on the WTC site when we were there. Lots to see in that area, very moving. We loved the Top of the Rock (Rockefeller building) and of course the Empire State Building. Get at least a glimpse into shopping somewhere like Macy's. We also loved Central Park (the Strawberry Fields memorial which has fresh flowers left everyday by John Lennon fans) The Natural History Museum was fantastic but you soon lose time in there. One of my fave places was Ellis Island. Seeing all the historical stuff around the immigrants was fascinating. And Lady Liberty is sooooo huge!

Your daughter will love the big Toys R Us in Times Square! It has merry go rounds inside. Love it! (I am a big kid)

The fall can be pricey in NYC. Your budget comes to $300/night (plus ~15% for taxes).

One option is to stay near the subway in Long Island City, Queens, a short ride from Manhattan and often significantly less expensive. The Country Inn and Suites would probably be ~$1000 all in for a 1 bedroom suite and the new Home 2 Suites would be a little more for a room.

In Manhattan, two good family options include the Beacon (~$1615), in the very family friendly Upper West Side and the Radio City Apartments (~$1585) near Times Square.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your input you have been very helpful ,

I can't tell you how excited we are!

I have gone ahead and booked the Double Trees Suites right in Times Square, We spent a hill looking at reviews and also playing around on google street view, and it seemed like the right choice, cost was 2200 dollars for 4 nights, for king suite but its the trip of a lifetime!

Thanks again

Pete

Hi Peewee

When we went to New York it was a few years ago now. We stayed in an Embassy Suites which is now a Conrad (still Hilton) I chose it because it is out of town (ten mins on the subway) and was overlooking the Hudson River. I am sure it's more expensive now it's a Conrad but it's still the one I would go to. Those Times Square hotels are too noisy for me.

We were there a week and in the evenings it was quiet in that area. We would get the subway into the centre (you can get a daily/3 day/weekly pass) and see what we liked and then get back to the hotel in the evenings. Plenty of restaurants and sandwich bars nearby there. It's in Lower Manhattan near the financial district and was just a few minutes walk from the World Trade Center site (in fact that's where we got the subway) We walked along the river one day to get the ferry across to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Also very near to shop at Century 21 !!

It depends on how near you want to be to the action. A friend of mine always stays in the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Tribeca. Again, similar area, but nowhere is far away in New York.

New York is fabulous. But you do NOT want to drive! At the airports and ports, ignore the people asking if you need a taxi. there are appointed officers who will take you to the official cabs and there is a set fare to wherever you want to go. the officer will ask you where you are going - write the cost down and hand it to you and that is what you pay. It's a well thought out system.

Things to see - The Freedom Tower was just being built on the WTC site when we were there. Lots to see in that area, very moving. We loved the Top of the Rock (Rockefeller building) and of course the Empire State Building. Get at least a glimpse into shopping somewhere like Macy's. We also loved Central Park (the Strawberry Fields memorial which has fresh flowers left everyday by John Lennon fans) The Natural History Museum was fantastic but you soon lose time in there. One of my fave places was Ellis Island. Seeing all the historical stuff around the immigrants was fascinating. And Lady Liberty is sooooo huge!

Your daughter will love the big Toys R Us in Times Square! It has merry go rounds inside. Love it! (I am a big kid)

That was really helpful, thank you for taking the time to reply, I have just been telling my daughter and wife about the Toys r Us!!

I really do want to see the WTC site, my wife thinks its a little morbid wanting to do that, but I think its important to take the chance to see it while we are there.

And we certainly want to do the Empire State building.

I think we will bring a stroller!

I certainly won't be driving.

We seem to be having real problems trying to pre book a transfer online, seems most of the websites, you have to select, airport to port, or port to airport, can't find one with an option just from port to Times Sqaure

Any help on that would be good?

Pete

That was really helpful, thank you for taking the time to reply, I have just been telling my daughter and wife about the Toys r Us!!

I really do want to see the WTC site, my wife thinks its a little morbid wanting to do that, but I think its important to take the chance to see it while we are there.

And we certainly want to do the Empire State building.

I think we will bring a stroller!

I certainly won't be driving.

We seem to be having real problems trying to pre book a transfer online, seems most of the websites, you have to select, airport to port, or port to airport, can't find one with an option just from port to Times Sqaure

Any help on that would be good?

Pete

Where are you looking? There really are no services you can book on line from the port to Manhattan other than the major car services such as:

Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com

Carmel http://www.carmellimo.com

Edited by njhorseman

My friend has stayed in the Doubletree Suites. She said they were superb.

If it's your first time to the USA then remember to go to the ESTA website to do your visa waivers. We are going on August 15th and I have just done ours online.

My friend has stayed in the Doubletree Suites. She said they were superb.

If it's your first time to the USA then remember to go to the ESTA website to do your visa waivers. We are going on August 15th and I have just done ours online.

Thanks Kay, thats good to hear!

the only downside with all this, is that its taken the shine of our august cruise on indy! We are now so excited about new york!

Central Park Zoo with the little one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Slight correction, Central Park CHILDREN's Zoo which is in a separate location than the main Zoo. Technically the Tisch Children's Zoo but still part of the main zoo you just have to walk a little ways. Don't miss the main zoo with its Rain Forest! (I am a fan). General Admission gets both zoos, the $6 more they add the "4D" Theater (haven't done it).

http://www.centralparkzoo.com/

http://www.centralparkzoo.com/animals-and-exhibits/exhibits/tisch-childrens-zoo.aspx

Slight correction, Central Park CHILDREN's Zoo which is in a separate location than the main Zoo. Technically the Tisch Children's Zoo but still part of the main zoo you just have to walk a little ways. Don't miss the main zoo with its Rain Forest! (I am a fan). General Admission gets both zoos, the $6 more they add the "4D" Theater (haven't done it).

http://www.centralparkzoo.com/

http://www.centralparkzoo.com/animals-and-exhibits/exhibits/tisch-childrens-zoo.aspx

The penguin house and sea lions are my favorite. Compared to the Bronx Zoo or even the Queens Zoo, it is all very compact.

Just a couple of other areas you might want to consider:

FAO Schwartz (toy Store) is located near the southeast corner of Central Park. Your little one would love it.

I would suggest if you only have time to go up one of the tall buildings, go to the Top of the Rock in Rockefeller Center. You will get a beautiful view of the Empire State Building and the Chyrsler Building on one side and a beautiful view of Central Park on the other side. If you can time it right go to the Top of the Rock just before sunset. You will get to see the city in daylight and then another fantastic view of the city lights at night. Besides the view, the cost for the Top of the Rock is cheaper than the Empire State Building and it is quicker to get in.

New York is one of our favorite cities. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.