How stable is quantum class?

Beccafcr

Hello,

Just a little query... how does Quantum class compare in dodgy weather when compared to such as Freedom class or smaller?

I'd suspect that no ship compares to Oasis class.... but just wondered how it compares to ships of a similar size? Does it rock more?

We're on Anthem in October and just wondered as it has the dreaded bay of biscay, and am worrying already about sea sickness! :eek:

thanks!

Hello,

Just a little query... how does Quantum class compare in dodgy weather when compared to such as Freedom class or smaller?

I'd suspect that no ship compares to Oasis class.... but just wondered how it compares to ships of a similar size? Does it rock more?

We're on Anthem in October and just wondered as it has the dreaded bay of biscay, and am worrying already about sea sickness! :eek:

thanks!

Here's a post from my review that may add to this discussion:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45026275&highlight=stability#post45026275

Keep in mind that Vision Class all the way up to Oasis Class are mere specs in the sand in comparison to the vast ocean. Whether you have a miniature rubber ducky in your bathtub or a larger one, the second you start splashing they will both rock up and down in the waves you create.

But I will say that many seasoned cruisers on Q did say that they felt more motion on their upper deck forward balconies than on any other class they have personally experienced. I also witnessed various pools (especially the bottom wading pool in the Solarium) closed due to the excessive waves created by the ship's motion in waters to me that did not seem a bad as some other sailings that I've been on.

Start taking Bonine pills the day before your cruise. Hope this helps you a bit... and have an awesome cruise! :D

Hello,

thanks!

Hey Becca :D

I am rather embarrassed & sorry to say but on Quantum's Maiden Voyage across the pond I was seasick for 3 days ...first time ever :o

I never suffered on past TA or sailings round the Med from Southampton, it was total shock for me to be ill. :o

What didn't help probably was having a cabin on deck 13 ...11 cabins from the front...oh gawd even now it makes me dizzy just thinking about it :o

There was a quite lot of guests who suffered on that sailing :(

Of course the weather could be totally different on your sailing but I would say stock up on the seasickness meds just incase.

I also did the TA Maiden Voyage and do agree with above- the boat was rocking. The worst weather I ever have sailed through at our 23 cruises.

I also did January 11 sailing - 12 nights Southern Caribbean - didn't feel the sea at all. I'll say as stable as the other ships in the fleet - same type of stabilizers.

We sailed the Q on Feb. 2-13, 2015 and I must say that it seemed to be the creakiest ship we have sailed. This was brought up on the "ask the Captain's session" and he acknowledged this and said that it would dissipate with time. He almost compared to the settling of a new home. The worst movement was felt in the solarium, the theatre and elevator areas.

One other item that we noticed, at least in cabin 10650, was the sliding balcony door being drafty/cold. On the last night, when the outside temp was about 10 degrees, the door frame developed liquid ice on the inside. Go figure, after spending close to $1.5 billion.

Hello,

thanks!

Our experience has been that the higher your cabin is, the more motion you will feel. On Quantum, we were on deck 7 mid-ship and felt nothing.

Just returned from Allure where our cabin was on deck 8 mid-ship. We felt no motion at all, but those folks on higher decks did feel motion at times.

Edited by cruisenfever

We were on the same Feb 2 sailing, and I agree about the creaking noises. I didn't get to watch the Captains Questions, though, so thanks. My wife is prone to seasickness, and she took one Dramamine tablet and had no troubles at all during the rough seas. We had a midship deck 6 cabin. I have no such difficulties, and thought that the swaying was nice. Our balcony door was sealed tight, no issues. Sometimes a slight moan from the wind, which I judge as normal.

She is without a doubt the roughest ship we've been on. The seas really weren't that bad, bud she struggled. It seems like they miscalculated the bow angle or something. On the Indy transatlantic a few years back we had 60 foot waves with 80 foot peaks the one night and it was rough, but not bad. The next day we had 40 foot waves for the whole day so I could actually see the ocean and take video/pictures, occasionally we would feel it hullslap and shutter forwards. We would then see the splash pass by higher than the promenade deck. That would be maybe once every 5 or so minutes, if even that often. On the Quantum that same level of violent shuttering seemed to happen every 30-90 seconds in far smoother seas. Our balcony was the first on deck 10 and the one night I was actually able to lay in bed and watch the water go by our balcony every time, that's how hard she slams even the calmer seas. She has a stubby bow compared to other ships, and I think it just does not cut the water like it should be.

thankyou for your feedback everyone :)

I don't know whether to cry and rock in a corner in anticipation or go assume it will be same as always! ;)

to be fair, we are pretty low down on deck 7 - 7226 and pretty much mid ship so fingers crossed!

thanks again

Edited by Beccafcr

Interesting comments about the creek'ing....I have always found Celebrity Solstice class to be the creekiest class of ship I have been on. Quantum being a Royal'ized version of a Solstice ship built out of the same ship yard makes it more than coincidence.

We are currently on the Quantum. When we left Cape Liberty we could barely tell we were moving. About the time we hit the Outer Banks of North Carolina the ship rocked and rolled a bit. Winds were in excess of 60 mph. Once we got out of that weather system, ship has been fine. Last night coming back north we woke up about 3:00 a.m. as the ship was rocking and rolling. Turned on the t.v. to see we were once again passing the Outer Banks. Winds were 93 mph and the sea was angry. We are in a Deck 7 cabin. We watched the whitecaps for awhile and commented we would not like to be in a cabin on say, deck 3 or 4. The motion lulled us back to sleep. This morning we are in the Raleigh area and winds have subsided to about 75 mph. The outside decks are closed but the Quantum is handling the weather quite well.

You do feel the cold through the windows of the balcony. The first night we ate in Costal Kitchen and it was COLD. The Mater D said they had engineers working on it...next morning it was cold but not as bad. Later in the week he told us it is all the glass in the restaurant. With it being as cold as it has been, there was no way the units could keep the restaurant warm enough.

Feel very secure in the ship.

I am rather embarrassed & sorry to say but on Quantum's Maiden Voyage across the pond I was seasick for 3 days ...first time ever :o

I never suffered on past TA or sailings round the Med from Southampton, it was total shock for me to be ill. :o

What didn't help probably was having a cabin on deck 13 ...11 cabins from the front...oh gawd even now it makes me dizzy just thinking about it :o

There was a quite lot of guests who suffered on that sailing :(

Of course the weather could be totally different on your sailing but I would say stock up on the seasickness meds just incase.

You mean that you were one of those people who say they never get seasick? :rolleyes: Everyone can get seasick when the ship starts rocking and rolling. It all depends on the strength/direction the wind and waves are coming from.

I know that I can get seasick given the right conditions. That is why we take the generic Bonine everyday we are cruising. They are cheap and have little to no side effects. We rode out going through Hurricane Sandy on the Explorer taking Bonine. Many who said they don't get seasick were sick. We felt fine and enjoyed the smaller crowds at the WindJammer.....

Captain Gus explained the creaking as being part of the break in process. Some bits that should move get stuck, some need to wear in etc. Eventually it goes away he says.

I believe that, prior to Quantum the Oasis was the creakiest ship we've been on (for the conditions). She was a noisy girl the second we left Port Everglades, but it was only her fourth sailing. I'm sure things will improve with time, during the captain's corner they mentioned wanting to be informed of any exceptionally noisy cabins because they would stick shims and other objects into places where they can.

We are currently on the Quantum. When we left Cape Liberty we could barely tell we were moving. About the time we hit the Outer Banks of North Carolina the ship rocked and rolled a bit. Winds were in excess of 60 mph. Once we got out of that weather system, ship has been fine. Last night coming back north we woke up about 3:00 a.m. as the ship was rocking and rolling. Turned on the t.v. to see we were once again passing the Outer Banks. Winds were 93 mph and the sea was angry. We are in a Deck 7 cabin. We watched the whitecaps for awhile and commented we would not like to be in a cabin on say, deck 3 or 4. The motion lulled us back to sleep. This morning we are in the Raleigh area and winds have subsided to about 75 mph. The outside decks are closed but the Quantum is handling the weather quite well.

You do feel the cold through the windows of the balcony. The first night we ate in Costal Kitchen and it was COLD. The Mater D said they had engineers working on it...next morning it was cold but not as bad. Later in the week he told us it is all the glass in the restaurant. With it being as cold as it has been, there was no way the units could keep the restaurant warm enough.

Thankyou for taking the time to post this :)

Just a question. when there's an announcement and you're in your room, do you hear it. You have, I believe, a different Captain--ours was "Gus." The reason I ask is that on one day there was an announcement that there was smoke coming from the incinerator. We had a very difficult time hearing/understanding and had to open the cabin door to fully hear.

At the "ask the Captain's session", the question was raised as to why we could not hear this very important announcement. He mentioned that he controlled the announcement to only public areas, and did not want to disturb the passengers in their cabins who may have been asleep. I found this strange since there was indeed smoke emanating from the incinerators. Found it doubly funny, that as soon as the situation was under control, the CD (Ken Rush) made the announcement that everything was back in order throughout the ship, including cabins.

One of the solutions that was mentioned by the executive staff at the session, was to broadcast announcements on the TV--RCL's station. Makes some sense.

We sailed the Q on Feb. 2-13, 2015 and I must say that it seemed to be the creakiest ship we have sailed. This was brought up on the "ask the Captain's session" and he acknowledged this and said that it would dissipate with time. He almost compared to the settling of a new home. The worst movement was felt in the solarium, the theatre and elevator areas.

One other item that we noticed, at least in cabin 10650, was the sliding balcony door being drafty/cold. On the last night, when the outside temp was about 10 degrees, the door frame developed liquid ice on the inside. Go figure, after spending close to $1.5 billion.

I was on with you and can agree, everything was very creeky. However it handled the weather quite well for what we were getting, but yeah Solarium and Theatre were bad, surprisingly though Two70 wasn't.

We totally enjoyed the 2 Feb sailing of Quantum and thought the ride was great. Seas were originally forecast as 25' for the first night, later we heard they were closer to 18" but in any case, the ride was great. The only way to compare ships in specific conditions is to ride them both in the identical conditions. The seas you're in are always the most vivid, the most real, in your mind. Quantum gives a great ride - and Captain Gus went to great lengths - and expense - to avoid rough seas on our return.

As for the roughest ride being in the solarium, that's to be expected when heading into the swells. Being a bit of a nerd, I measured the movement, and the most I encountered was was a 3 degree pitch. That multiplies out by the length and frequency, but still, it was a great ride. There was one lady in the solarium who kept chanting "I can't believe we pay them to do this to us" but for all her repetitions, she wasn't giving up her seat. This is what the sea is all about. Savor it.

As for the "creaking" - nothing remarkable was obvious. Perhaps some passengers recall rougher sides in calmer seas - and the creaking that accompanied them - but we were in heavy seas and the ship rode them well.

If you're booked on Quantum forget all the hand wringing - it's ill founded - and you're in for a memorable experience. We're back on board in March and can't wait.

We totally enjoyed the 2 Feb sailing of Quantum and thought the ride was great. Seas were originally forecast as 25' for the first night, later we heard they were closer to 18" but in any case, the ride was great. The only way to compare ships in specific conditions is to ride them both in the identical conditions. The seas you're in are always the most vivid, the most real, in your mind. Quantum gives a great ride - and Captain Gus went to great lengths - and expense - to avoid rough seas on our return.

As for the roughest ride being in the solarium, that's to be expected when heading into the swells. Being a bit of a nerd, I measured the movement, and the most I encountered was was a 3 degree pitch. That multiplies out by the length and frequency, but still, it was a great ride. There was one lady in the solarium who kept chanting "I can't believe we pay them to do this to us" but for all her repetitions, she wasn't giving up her seat. This is what the sea is all about. Savor it.

As for the "creaking" - nothing remarkable was obvious. Perhaps some passengers recall rougher rides in calmer seas on other ships - and the creaking that accompanied them - but we were in heavy seas and the ship rode them well.

If you're booked on Quantum forget all the hand wringing - it's ill founded - and you're in for a memorable cruise experience. We're back on board in March and can't wait.

As for the "creaking" - nothing remarkable was obvious. Perhaps some passengers recall rougher sides in calmer seas - and the creaking that accompanied them - but we were in heavy seas and the ship rode them well.

If you're booked on Quantum forget all the hand wringing - it's ill founded - and you're in for a memorable experience. We're back on board in March and can't wait.

If Captain Gus stayed in his original route we would have faced 25+ foot waves, but he changed course by staying further west and closer to land and we wound up with 18 ft. waves. The most movement were not only in the solarium, but in theatre where you really felt the pounding and the stabilizers taking over. Another was the elevator areas.

With regarding to the creaking, we had cabin 10650 toward the aft elevators and the creaking was severe in the first 2 and last 2 nights that basically woke us. Some Paxs brought up to the Captain in his "ask the Captain's session" and he said that with time the creaking would dissipate and almost equated to the settling phase of a new home.

Someone on another blog mentioned that on the newer Celebrity ships, which closely resemble the Quantum, the creaking is still occurring. Maybe it's the design. I was watching a program on RCL TV and they were showing that the Quantum has jets on either side at the front and in other selected areas that emit bubbles and supposedly float on these bubbles. Maybe this is what causes the roughness.

If Captain Gus stayed in his original route we would have faced 25+ foot waves, but he changed course by staying further west and closer to land and we wound up with 18 ft. waves.

As I stated, the seas for the first night out were forecast to be 25', that was the marine forecast, I believe they fell short of that, but it was too dark to tell. There was no discernible course change on day one. We were right above you in 12654 and actually thought the ride was great - perhaps because we had been anticipating a rough ride.

As to the creaking, we've also sailed both Equinox and Solstice and saw some similarity, but nothing remarkable, I've worked in skyscrapers that are noisier in heavy weather. We did attend the Captain's Corner discussion and we heard the comment on newer ships settling in etc but were more surprised at the question than the answer. Didn't really encounter any notable squeaks.

Hats off to Captain Gus - not only for his straight talk answers, but because he wisely chose 270 as his Captain's Corner venue - not only is it drop dead gorgeous for our benefit, but it's the only venue on the ship - with its rounded architecture - where he couldn't get backed into a corner. Custer has to be careful when circulating with the Indians.:D

Loved our Quantum cruise - returning in March for more of the same.