Vague port times

aquilegia

New to P&O and perplexed by vagueness of itinerary on our forthcoming 4-nighter to Amsterdam and Zeebrugge. I'm used to itineraries showing actually times. It doesn't even say when we're scheduled to leave Southampton (not really important, but would be nice to know). Both ports are stated as 'early morning to early evening', which is unhelpful when you're planning a DIY day involving trains/buses. It doesn't give the time of arrival back in Southampton either.

Can someone give me an idea of what P&O call 'early morning to early evening' and am I right in assuming that it will be the usual early morning arrival back in Southampton. Thanks for any help.

Hi. The ship will leave Southampton between 5 and 6 pm. The ship normally gets back into port in the early hours of the morning and disembarkation starts around 7 am.

As for ports. Early morning usually means just that - around 7 or 8 am.

Early evening means any time from 4pm onwards.

If you want to know port times, just go to Google and put in Amsterdam cruise ship schedule and you can probably see port times. Same for Zeebrugge.

Hi I'm also on this cruise n new to p& o hoping we get to Amsterdam as this cruise at new year the Ventura couldn't dock, been to zeebrugge last year on princess had a great day in Bruges caught train from blankenburg to Bruges was fairly cheap n nice journey.

Hoping the weather is going to kind to us I know it will be on the colder side but hope for no rain or winds lol

Have a balcony cabin on c deck n not supposed to board until 3.30 even though ship is meant to leave at 4.30 I thought?

We're not boarding till 3.30 either, also on C deck, so that doesn't leave much time for the muster drill. I was wondering whether P&O do a shuttle to Blankenburg. They're supposed to do an included shuttle in every port if you have a Select fare.

And thanks kruzseeka, that was a great help.

We're not boarding till 3.30 either, also on C deck, so that doesn't leave much time for the muster drill. I was wondering whether P&O do a shuttle to Blankenburg. They're supposed to do an included shuttle in every port if you have a Select fare.

And thanks kruzseeka, that was a great help.

They do not provide shuttles in every port..if you pay a select fare and they do supply a shuttle, you would go on it free.

They do not provide shuttles in every port..if you pay a select fare and they do supply a shuttle, you would go on it free.

Well, on the Transfers Ashore section of the P&O website it says 'Please note, if you have booked a P&O Cruises Select price, complimentary shuttle bus services will be provided for you at each port of call.' I took each port of call to mean each port of call on your itinerary. But you're saying that's not the case? I think I'll start a separate thread specifically about shuttles at Zeebrugge.

Hi we have booked a select fare and too thought that it includes port shuttle buses .

Whilst on princess last year port bus's were laid on but we had to pay for the return journey into Blankenburg ,hoping that p&o provide shuttles on our select fare but unsure now !!

I have replied to you on the other thread aquilega - and the answer is yes, there is a shuttle to Blankenberge and it has always been free to all fares up to now. :)

It is very easy to coordinate your day. It is a well oiled machine. You will always be told what time to be back at the ship.

The shuttle runs regularly to and from Blankenberge and you are always informed of the last shuttle time to the ship. The Blankenberge - Bruges trains usually run hourly and are very punctual and it takes about 15 minutes. There is also a free bus from the station in Bruges itself into the centre of Bruges - or a walk of about 25 mins.

There is also a bus from Blankenberge into Bruges, which takes a bit longer.

In addition, there is a free Port shuttle at Zeebrugge to the gates where people meet their taxis and where you can also get a tram along the coast.

Enjoy your trip and I hope the weather allows you to get into Amsterdam :)

Edited by Scriv

Thank you very much, Scriv, for all that information. It's very helpful, particularly about the free bus from Bruges station. Do you buy the train ticket at Blankenberge station or should you buy it online beforehand?

From looking at websites it appears Ventura is in Amsterdam from 8am to 6pm and in Zeebrugge from 7am to 6pm. I hope we'll manage to dock in Amsterdam, though I've spent a holiday there fairly recently whereas I've never been to Bruges.

I think you can buy the ticket on line beforehand, but to be honest, I just couldn't work out how to do it, but there really is no need.

It is so easy, believe me, to buy the tickets at the station either via the machine which has an English option or at the desk where the person has always been very helpful and speaks excellent English. They are used to us foreigners in Blankenberge and are very patient.

I think the train leaves Blankenberge at 0 42 past the hour and departs Bruges about 0 05 during the week, but is different on a Sunday. I think Sunday times are 0 37 and 0 10, but you would have to check. And they are punctual! I have just checked this and the timetable is still showing these times.

As there is only one train per hour, we used to aim to get into Blankenberge a bit earlier so we did not get harrassed and had time to get ourselves to the station and get the tickets. The train usually comes in early so you can get on and get yourselves a seat.

The P&O shuttle usually starts running once we can all disembark and leaves once it is full. It runs to and from near the church in Blankenberge not far from the station throughout the day. The journey into Blankenberge takes about 20 mins. Last time we got off the ship at about 09 45 and were in Blankenberge at about 10 15 and got the 10 42.

The bus in Bruges to the centre leaves in the car park/bus station in front of the station. I'm not sure where it drops you off as I have not used it myself.

A tip though is to get the penultimate train back just in case the last train is full and allow for getting a bit lost if you walk back to the railway station in Bruges rather than the bus as the signs are not very good and we went wrong a time or two. You can always have a little walk through Blankenberge and up to the promenade there if you are back early.

But Blankenberge and its station are really low key and local and I was amazed by how easy it all was. Do ask any more questions that you may think of.

And enjoy!

Edited by Scriv

Thanks again, Scriv. We ought not to go wrong with all that detailed information. It'll be a weekday when we're there. I'm usually over cautious about getting back to the ship in time so I wouldn't plan to use the last train. I'm really looking forward to it. Just hoping it doesn't pour with rain all day!