Documentation for adolescent friends

joehayes1972

When we brought our grandaughter back from Alaska via Vancouver, they asked for the notarized letter. Don't know what would have happened if we did not have it.

DON

I should have added to my post that in addition to reading my notarized letter, they asked my granddaughter who we were.

DON

The letter has nothing to do with cruising. So, I totally disagree with you. It is not a misunderstood thing for cruising - it is a requirement by the Immigration in the US. When you cross an international border you are required to show ID and that means a passport (or the passport card). If you have a minor in the car or at the airport or the pier they should ask for the permission letter. I want them to ask. There are so many children that are abducted every year by their parents (and strangers too) and those that leave the country might have been caught if the people involved asked the right questions. Twenty years ago things were different. Now, it is a requirement. Look it up in the government paperwork. Once when I was bored and waiting for my Canadian passport to be processed I picked up the pamphlet about traveling with kids. They were very specific that the permission letter was needed. Please state where you got your facts from.

I have been asked every time we drive across the border from the US into Canada. They mean it there. They want to see the letter and they actually read it. I have been asked when I've come back into port at Ft Lauderdale and I've been asked when I've come back into the port at Vancouver. It is foolish to not have a notarized letter when you have spent so much money for a cruise.

In addition to the letter I have backup paperwork as well. After both parent and spouse have signed and have it notarized I have them make a copy of the passport page with their signatures and attach that as well.

Actually those under 16 may use their original birth certificate or a copy to cross the land border.

Here's a link to what CBP has to say about children traveling with only one parent or with a non-parent:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

Edited by sparks1093

Actually those under 16 may use their original birth certificate or a copy to cross the land border.

Here's a link to what CBP has to say about children traveling with only one parent or with a non-parent:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

You still need to have that notarized letter. I could look it up but I just don't care that much. You do it your way and I'll do it my way - and have passports for everyone.

You still need to have that notarized letter. I could look it up but I just don't care that much. You do it your way and I'll do it my way - and have passports for everyone.

You don't have to look it up, I provided the link.:)

OP - I would insist the friends have a passport, you'll need the notarized permission to travel letter, a letter giving you permission to authorize medical treatment, and I would also require they have a travel insurance policy.

You are not required to have a letter from parent who is not going on cruise, except to Mexico. It is one of the most misunderstood requirements for cruising, even by staff at cruise terminals. That is why you read multiple reports on this site that many parents are not asked for it when checking in and some are. The consensus on here is to bring the letter just in case.

Our experience when traveling with our granddaughter on both Royal Caribbean and Disney was we were not only asked for the notarized letter at check in, we also had to produce it for Customs when we left the ship.

If anyone is traveling with a child that is not their own please get a signed and notarized letter from both parents.

I am not sure what would have happened if we had not had it and I sure didn't want to find out!!!

Happy Sailing everyone!!!

Edited by GTO-Girl