Documentation for adolescent friends

joehayes1972

Our kids have decided they want to take friends our cruise in October. 1 child has his passport the other does not. Has anyone taking someone else child on a cruise? Did you take letter from parents?

Edited by joehayes1972

Our kids have decided they want to take friends our cruise in October. 1 child has his passport the other does not. Has anyone taking someone else child on a cruise? Did you take letter from parents?

I would check with the cruise line to be sure, but it's a good idea to have the notarized consent letter from the parents. It should cover taking the child on the ship, medical consent, and any activity waivers you might have to sign.

You may be able to find a sample form and other info by asking on the Carnival forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

Edited by clarea

Princes requires a passport for both parent and child if only one parent is traveling with the child, so I would think that non-related children would be the same. It has to do with emergency disembarkation.

This is how Royal Caribbean does it:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=2702&faqSubjectId=322

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=329&faqSubjectName=Cruise+Documents&faqId=2815

--------------------

Q: What if I'm traveling with a minor and I'm not the parent or legal guardian?

A: Adults who are not the parent or legal guardian of a minor traveling with them must present an original notarized letter signed by the child's parent(s), authorizing the adult to take the child on the specific cruise, supervise the child and allow emergency medical treatment to be administered.

Please note: An individual's age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for the entire cruise vacation. Royal Caribbean International does not accept reservations for student groups. Please consult a travel agent for Royal Caribbean's group policies.

----------------

Q: What travel documents and identification will I need for international sailings?

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

Edited by WolfgangJT

Princes requires a passport for both parent and child if only one parent is traveling with the child, so I would think that non-related children would be the same. It has to do with emergency disembarkation.

That's a misstatement of their policy. There is no reference to "parent" in Princess' requirement. The requirement says "adult", so it really doesn't matter if there are no parents traveling with the children, as long as there is more than one adult traveling with the children passports are not required. Here's there exact policy:

Passport requirement when minors travel with one adult on voyages governed by the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (includes travel within Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Mexico & United States)

When minors (any guest under the age of 18) are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all guests possess a valid passport. Carrier has implemented this requirement so that Your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to disembark in a non-U.S. port. Carrier cannot guarantee that all members of Your party are allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all guests traveling together results in denial of boarding without refund of the of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

in any event, it appears that the OP is cruising on Carnival, and Carnival has no such requirement as far as I can determine. They do recommend in this situation having a signed letter from the parents of any minors traveling with you:

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents (or legal guardians) are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) (or legal guardians) authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

The cruise line requirements aside, I agree with those who would insist that both children have passports.

This is how Royal Caribbean does it:

Q: What travel documents and identification will I need for international sailings?

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities

What I find interesting about this is that they are only asking for ONE parent to sign the consent letter. BUT if one parent is traveling with the kids they must have the same notarized letter from the other. So the parent needs the letter but a third party only needs authorization from one parent. Or am I mis-reading this?

You are not required to have a letter from parent who is not going on cruise, except to Mexico. It is one of the most misunderstood requirements for cruising, even by staff at cruise terminals. That is why you read multiple reports on this site that many parents are not asked for it when checking in and some are. The consensus on here is to bring the letter just in case.

This is a little off topic but we are cruising next month and only with birth certificates(going on carnival). My youngest daughter is 16 but doesn't have her drivers license yet so will he school ID be acceptable as a photo ID?

I believe CCL lists a school ID as acceptable in their FAQ. Can she get her learners permit between now and then? That's what my 16 yo's used.

I believe CCL lists a school ID as acceptable in their FAQ. Can she get her learners permit between now and then? That's what my 16 yo's used.

Thanks I will look at the carnival website to make sure :) She does have her permit but in Illinois it's just a piece of paper, no picture.

Thanks I will look at the carnival website to make sure :) She does have her permit but in Illinois it's just a piece of paper, no picture.

Would they issue her a regular non-drivers license photo ID? If there was time that is what I would try to get.

You are not required to have a letter from parent who is not going on cruise, except to Mexico. It is one of the most misunderstood requirements for cruising, even by staff at cruise terminals. That is why you read multiple reports on this site that many parents are not asked for it when checking in and some are. The consensus on here is to bring the letter just in case.

The reasons for requiring the letter go beyond what a particular port country may require. The cruise line has to be certain that you have been granted permission by the parent(s) to authorize emergency medical treatment for the child.

This is a little off topic but we are cruising next month and only with birth certificates(going on carnival). My youngest daughter is 16 but doesn't have her drivers license yet so will he school ID be acceptable as a photo ID?

Who issues the school ID? Is it the school itself or is it the state? If you are a teacher in a school in California (well my expertise lies with the LA school district) your retirement is through the state of California. Therefore, that would be government ID since the school is "governed" by the State.

Now that she is 16, why not just get her a passport that is good for 10 years? Only $10 a year :D. That way when she looks at your with love in her eyes and her best smile ever and says - but mom, everyone else is going to Paris for the field trip - she'll already have her passport.

Who issues the school ID? Is it the school itself or is it the state? If you are a teacher in a school in California (well my expertise lies with the LA school district) your retirement is through the state of California. Therefore, that would be government ID since the school is "governed" by the State.

Now that she is 16, why not just get her a passport that is good for 10 years? Only $10 a year :D. That way when she looks at your with love in her eyes and her best smile ever and says - but mom, everyone else is going to Paris for the field trip - she'll already have her passport.

The school issues the ID not the state, Illinois is so messed up that I'm glad it's done that way lol.

As for a passport none of us have them and the trip is less then a month away so there's no time anyways. And yes I'm sure she would love to travel overseas with school but heck I haven't been there yet!

The school issues the ID not the state, Illinois is so messed up that I'm glad it's done that way lol.

As for a passport none of us have them and the trip is less then a month away so there's no time anyways. And yes I'm sure she would love to travel overseas with school but heck I haven't been there yet!

My son took a trip to Washington DC in school. I've yet to make it there :mad:. I just renewed my passport and expedited it. Less than 7 days from beginning to end.

When we brought our grandaughter back from Alaska via Vancouver, they asked for the notarized letter. Don't know what would have happened if we did not have it.

DON

Since you are basically responsible for the kid while on the cruise, I would say if the child does not have a passport, they do not go. When your kids whine and moan that you are being unfair, just tell them tough.

DON

If the school is a public school it is a government entity and that's why the ID works. I would prefer a state issued photo ID because there are less questions with them but CCL does say they will take the school ID.

As for a passport none of us have them and the trip is less then a month away so there's no time anyways...

You said your trip is in June so there is an outside chance you can apply for Passports now and get them in a week to 10 days with expedited handling.

If you get Passports, you're good to go. If not, you'll have them when you get homw and ready for your next trip.

The letter has nothing to do with cruising. So, I totally disagree with you. It is not a misunderstood thing for cruising - it is a requirement by the Immigration in the US. When you cross an international border you are required to show ID and that means a passport (or the passport card). If you have a minor in the car or at the airport or the pier they should ask for the permission letter. I want them to ask. There are so many children that are abducted every year by their parents (and strangers too) and those that leave the country might have been caught if the people involved asked the right questions. Twenty years ago things were different. Now, it is a requirement. Look it up in the government paperwork. Once when I was bored and waiting for my Canadian passport to be processed I picked up the pamphlet about traveling with kids. They were very specific that the permission letter was needed. Please state where you got your facts from.

I have been asked every time we drive across the border from the US into Canada. They mean it there. They want to see the letter and they actually read it. I have been asked when I've come back into port at Ft Lauderdale and I've been asked when I've come back into the port at Vancouver. It is foolish to not have a notarized letter when you have spent so much money for a cruise.

In addition to the letter I have backup paperwork as well. After both parent and spouse have signed and have it notarized I have them make a copy of the passport page with their signatures and attach that as well.