First time to Tortola. What to do? Baths?

mitsugirly

Ok, I have to say my head is spinning after reading this. :eek: :p

Awesome, glad you added that last part in. :)

Thanks so much for your help (as always).

Some answers -

Yes you are dropped at the marina dock on VG which is a short walk from Spanishtown which is the main town with shopping, restaurants - Speedy's offers a ferry package that includes lunch and drink at the Baths & Turtle in Stown.

10 min taxi from the ferry to the Top of the Baths where there is a restaurant, restrooms, and wading pool. On the beach before you enter the boulders you'll see Poorman's Bar where you can buy water, etc.

Ferry ride is about 30 min, if the 3:30 ferry is the preferred return there will be a line for sure so getting to the dock early is a good idea. Having said that the ferry company will add more ferries to ensure everyone gets back, just as the ferries do between STT and STJ.

Road Town is the town near the port you dock at. Primarily a financial district, if you have time to shop before getting back on the ship just hit the nice little shops by the port. One must-do is the Sunny Caribbee spice & rub shop.

http://www.sunnycaribbee.com

We also like the clothing line from Pusser's, you'll also see the Pusser's Road Town Pub on your walk from the ferry terminal on Tortola.

To get from Spring Bay to the Baths you would have to swim or walk the road back to the Top then down the path to the shore.

Savannah Bay is a nice large bay and a quiet beach, not a must see but maybe you can see it from the road.

Blue Water, I also was looking at private boats rather than a ferry. I was looking for reputable boats and seem to be finding the same thing..

All the boats that seem good, do snorkeling trips around the baths or the Indians and all the others seem sketchy.

It seems like with a half day in port that maybe the snorkeling will be better?

I am already doing the ferry dash to St. John on this trip.

Last time in Tortola,we hiked the national park and drove around (perilous) and checked out beaches. That was 10 years ago though and nearly as crowded.

I guess I am asking.. is snorkeling going to be unique bc of the boulders or should i do the ferry dash and walk the baths with all the other hordes of people:confused:

• 2 months later...

Ok, I just finished my last cruise and now it's time to get back to planning this one. When I first read all this information, it seemed so confusing. I just now went back and re-read everything again and I'm still super confused about how this all works.

Blue (or anyone) can you give me a step by step directions of what you do during the day after stepping off the ship?

Like, exit port and walk? to some ferry area? I'm understanding there is 2 of them. How far of a walk?

Get on ferry, 30 min ride to baths area, get off ferry and catch ?any? cab? for $4pp to the entrance of the baths? Are there tons of taxi's waiting for people?

There's food there right? As in right at the baths and don't have to walk anywhere or catch a taxi to get there right?

Then when ready to leave, catch ride back ($4) to ferry and wait for ferry to arrive, which is at 3:30pm.

Is this all right?

What do you do with your beach bags and stuff while you are there? I assume you have to lug all this around so you want to pack light right?

Ok, I just finished my last cruise and now it's time to get back to planning this one. When I first read all this information, it seemed so confusing. I just now went back and re-read everything again and I'm still super confused about how this all works.

Blue (or anyone) can you give me a step by step directions of what you do during the day after stepping off the ship?

Like, exit port and walk? to some ferry area? I'm understanding there is 2 of them. How far of a walk?

Get on ferry, 30 min ride to baths area, get off ferry and catch ?any? cab? for $4pp to the entrance of the baths? Are there tons of taxi's waiting for people?

There's food there right? As in right at the baths and don't have to walk anywhere or catch a taxi to get there right?

Then when ready to leave, catch ride back ($4) to ferry and wait for ferry to arrive, which is at 3:30pm.

Is this all right?

What do you do with your beach bags and stuff while you are there? I assume you have to lug all this around so you want to pack light right?

Hi Kim,

Wow I can't believe I have done something that you are interested in doing! LOL

Ok So if you don't remember who I am, I have just started reading your reviews (obsessively! I am nursing a disc injury and really they are helping me escape while stuck in bed)

Anyways my Kim and I did our first cruise on the Escape in January, and since we are such newbies, we aren't brave enough to venture on our own. We book only ship excursions (though really considering moving our excursions around for our cruise on the Dawn in Feb. to go to LFK)

So we did the Baths excursion through the ship and I know people say its a bit of a rip off, but sometimes I just really need a break from the planning and "worrying".

So what you won't like, this is an EARLY excursion. We met in the Escape theatre at 7am. We got off the ship walked down the pier and got onto a ferry. The ferry ride was around 40 minutes and was a beautiful ride with many islands and mountains. We got off the ferry and boarded open air busses. If I were to guess it was about a 15 minute ride? It wasn't long at all. We arrived at the baths where you can rent a locker at the top for your stuff or you haul it with you. It's a really neat hike down and then you start through the caves. It was really amazing to see. Some tight spots that involved crawling/climbing etc. I am fluffy and was more than doable for me :) It would be very difficult carrying a bunch of bags though. I would recommend back packs for stuff you want at the beach. The beach was beautiful with lots of boulders you could climb. I can't speak to the snorkeling but I would definitely recommend this excursion. As for food/drinks/souvenirs everything was at the top of the hill before the (10ish minute) hike down. So Im quite sure there was nothing in the actual beach area.

I have TONS of pictures and videos of the baths as well as some of the port, but I don't have a host site and have no idea how to get them in here.

If you want you can email me at cavanaughh at gmail dot com and then I can send an e-mail back with the pics and vides. Sorry I'm usually pretty tech savy but I just can't figure out cruise critic lol

Sorry I can't help more on info for getting there on your own, I'm still a little too nervous but may put on my big girl pants to get to LFK :D

Hope that helped in some way

Heather

Hi Kim,

Wow I can't believe I have done something that you are interested in doing! LOL

Ok So if you don't remember who I am, I have just started reading your reviews (obsessively! I am nursing a disc injury and really they are helping me escape while stuck in bed)

Anyways my Kim and I did our first cruise on the Escape in January, and since we are such newbies, we aren't brave enough to venture on our own. We book only ship excursions (though really considering moving our excursions around for our cruise on the Dawn in Feb. to go to LFK)

So we did the Baths excursion through the ship and I know people say its a bit of a rip off, but sometimes I just really need a break from the planning and "worrying".

So what you won't like, this is an EARLY excursion. We met in the Escape theatre at 7am. We got off the ship walked down the pier and got onto a ferry. The ferry ride was around 40 minutes and was a beautiful ride with many islands and mountains. We got off the ferry and boarded open air busses. If I were to guess it was about a 15 minute ride? It wasn't long at all. We arrived at the baths where you can rent a locker at the top for your stuff or you haul it with you. It's a really neat hike down and then you start through the caves. It was really amazing to see. Some tight spots that involved crawling/climbing etc. I am fluffy and was more than doable for me :) It would be very difficult carrying a bunch of bags though. I would recommend back packs for stuff you want at the beach. The beach was beautiful with lots of boulders you could climb. I can't speak to the snorkeling but I would definitely recommend this excursion. As for food/drinks/souvenirs everything was at the top of the hill before the (10ish minute) hike down. So Im quite sure there was nothing in the actual beach area.

I have TONS of pictures and videos of the baths as well as some of the port, but I don't have a host site and have no idea how to get them in here.

If you want you can email me at cavanaughh at gmail dot com and then I can send an e-mail back with the pics and vides. Sorry I'm usually pretty tech savy but I just can't figure out cruise critic lol

Sorry I can't help more on info for getting there on your own, I'm still a little too nervous but may put on my big girl pants to get to LFK :D

Hope that helped in some way

Heather

Hi Heather. Of course I know who you are from reading my Fascination review. :D

We will be going on the Epic here and we are in port from 8-6pm. Was that your port time? I think we have plenty of time to do this on our own instead of paying double for the ship excursion. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how it all works.

So, since you stated you left the ship and walked down to the ferry, I assume it's not a long walk then.

I just looked at the ferry times and it looks like the first ferry we would be able to catch is at 9am. So doable I guess. However, if the ship pulls out at 6, we need to be back on board around 5-5:30ish. Factor in a 10-15 minute ride to the ferry dock and a 30-40 minute ferry ride then walking back to the dock, I'm guessing we need to be out of there around 3:30 to give us plenty of time for mishaps I guess. It looks like one ferry comes back at 4:30 and the other at 3:15pm. So I guess that's the one we'd have to take. (Sorry, thinking out loud, but yet typing it to see if others agree). :p

Do you know how much locker rental was? I guess I'm going to have to invest in a backpack instead of our normal beach bags.

The food at the top before the "10 minute" hike down, is that how long it takes to get down to the baths? Is that what you are saying?

I would love to see your pics. :D

Put those big girl panties on for LFK, you seriously won't be sorry. It's super easy.

Hi Heather. Of course I know who you are from reading my Fascination review. :D

We will be going on the Epic here and we are in port from 8-6pm. Was that your port time? I think we have plenty of time to do this on our own instead of paying double for the ship excursion. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how it all works.

So, since you stated you left the ship and walked down to the ferry, I assume it's not a long walk then.

I just looked at the ferry times and it looks like the first ferry we would be able to catch is at 9am. So doable I guess. However, if the ship pulls out at 6, we need to be back on board around 5-5:30ish. Factor in a 10-15 minute ride to the ferry dock and a 30-40 minute ferry ride then walking back to the dock, I'm guessing we need to be out of there around 3:30 to give us plenty of time for mishaps I guess. It looks like one ferry comes back at 4:30 and the other at 3:15pm. So I guess that's the one we'd have to take. (Sorry, thinking out loud, but yet typing it to see if others agree). :p

Do you know how much locker rental was? I guess I'm going to have to invest in a backpack instead of our normal beach bags.

The food at the top before the "10 minute" hike down, is that how long it takes to get down to the baths? Is that what you are saying?

I would love to see your pics. :D

Put those big girl panties on for LFK, you seriously won't be sorry. It's super easy.

I flooded your e-mail with rambling information lol

Check your junk folder just in case it filtered my e-mail address as spam or something :D

We will be going to the Baths for the first time in December, so excited! We are leaning toward taking the excursion through the ship instead of planning our own arrangements. I'm trying to find out two things ... Is the ferry ride from the cruise ship especially rough? I saw a couple blogs that said the ferry ride was a real handful. Also, are there places to rent snorkel equipment nearby?

I'm confused. I chose the Baths because the excursion write-up said it is good for non-swimmers, but one poster has said they got pulled under by rip tide while swimming through the rocks area. It was my understanding that this involved wading only and climbing over and through rocks. Can someone definitively answer if there is swimming involved in the walk through the rocks, or is it just wading?

We will be going to the Baths for the first time in December, so excited! We are leaning toward taking the excursion through the ship instead of planning our own arrangements. I'm trying to find out two things ... Is the ferry ride from the cruise ship especially rough? I saw a couple blogs that said the ferry ride was a real handful. Also, are there places to rent snorkel equipment nearby?

The ferry isn't normally a rough ride, actually enjoyable. Obviously sea conditions can be rougher during the winter months and storm periods but I wouldn't be concerned, these reports are very far and few between, most folks are just fine.

I'm not sure if Poor Man's beach shack rents snorkel gear, but if you do rent it there you'd have to go back through the Baths to return it which wouldn't make sense (you would normally relax on Devils Bay beach after wading/walking through the boulders then go back to the top via another path).

For snorkeling you may enjoy Spring Bay more, it's a short walk from the Top of the Baths, the driver can point it out to you. But there are no public facilities there nor snorkel rentals...so no help, sorry!

Edited by blue_water

Is this all right?

FERRY -

You will walk 10 minutes to the Road Town ferry terminal which is located to your left as you exit the pier. If you google earth it you'll see where it is.

Ferry is about 30 min and will drop you at the Spanishtown marina, you will take a short $4pp taxi from there to the top of the baths. There is a restaurant there, or you can stop in Spanishtown after the baths experience and have lunch at the Baths & Turtle. As I noted earlier Speedy's offers ferry packages that include the taxi (same price as on your own) and lunch at the B&T. There is also a small beach shack on the beach before you enter the Baths selling water, etc.

Yes you want to pack light - we would carry a water, water-resistant camera, towel, and cover shirt in a string knapsack to have our hands free. Would recommend water shoes or something with a sole for the hike down and back up, and for the rocks - no flip flops or light sandals.

So I just found a menu for The Bath & Turtle and it looks like it's $10 for everything on the menu. For the price of $48 for an adult for the "package" that includes the ferry, transportation, and lunch, it's the same price. :confused: So you are not saving anything by buying the package they are offering. Am I correct?

We've only been to the B&T when on VG on our own so can't help with the questions on the Speedy's package, sorry. The round trip ferry and taxi on VG is $38pp whether you pay separately or throug Speedy's. I had read (sometime ago) that with the package you get a menu item + a drink - don't know if that is accurate. But you can certainly get the facts when you arrive at the ferry terminal and decide then. I wouldn't fret over that now, enjoy your planning! :)

• 1 month later...
I Hated the Baths. We arranged for a private boat to take us and bring us back which you can do once off the ship and make your own schedule. It was not as beautiful as I imagined.The beach area is VERY small. The granite boulders looked like huge rocks, nothing special. The walk from one area to the other was frightening to me. I am claustrophobic and it was a near nightmare for me. Half way through a group came in the other direction so we stepped aside for them to use the rope to pull themselves up and over the slippery rock. After letting many go the area filled up from others coming in on our direction. I could not take it. I yelled for them to all get out of the way telling them I had to get out. I continued through and again the next beach, devils ...., was equally small. The walk to the roadway was about a 15 minute steep walk. The water in the rock areas were like rip currents. I was swimming through and got caught and tossed upside down. Luckily my DH saw me tumbling under the water and lifted me out. I am a strong swimmer and I was like a rag doll. I was cut all over and bleeding. The rocks are jagged and all over. Friends of mine stayed on Tortola and went to a top rated beach via taxi and had a wonderful time. I would recommend Crane Garden Bay. I would never do The Baths again and would not recommend it. The ride out there was a very fast 30 minute speed boat ride of all bumps since they were cranking it up to make it there fast.

Sorry you had such a miserable day. I don't like tight areas either but my experience at the Baths was the total opposite. I took the ship tour in Nov. 2015. The sea was choppy on the boat ride to the Baths, but the boat and captain handled it well and passengers were comfortable. Red flags were up at the Baths indicating strong currents and No Swim warnings. We went through all the caves from one beach to the other round trip without issue. Despite several tour groups being at the Baths, we never encountered a crowded area. The natural beauty of the Baths kept me enthralled and I never experienced that dreaded tight feeling.

I've been to the Caribbean many times and to most of the islands. The tour to the Baths was one of the very best I've done in the Caribbean. This is a perfect example of how people experience things differently. My choice for a perfect beach day would never be Cane Bay Beach on Tortola (or Magens Bay on St. Thomas). Tortola is one of my favorite islands. I only hope that with the arrival of more cruise ships the island will not loose its charm which has happened on many of the other islands.

I'm confused. I chose the Baths because the excursion write-up said it is good for non-swimmers, but one poster has said they got pulled under by rip tide while swimming through the rocks area. It was my understanding that this involved wading only and climbing over and through rocks. Can someone definitively answer if there is swimming involved in the walk through the rocks, or is it just wading?

When we went through the caves, there was no swimming required but wading was necessary in a few areas. There is one spot where you have to go over a large boulder holding on to rope because it is slightly slippery. Best to wear water shoes. There are areas in the caves where swimming is possible, but optional.

I did not see any places to rent snorkel equipment.

We took the ship tour and were happy we did. The large boat that took us to the Baths was docked right at the cruise ship pier. Vans were waiting for transfer to Baths -- no: waiting, lines, rushing, or long walks. Boat was very clean and comfortable; complimentary punch or rum punch on return. The negative: depending on schedules and time frame, you may have more time at the Baths using the ferry service.

Sorry you had such a miserable day. I don't like tight areas either but my experience at the Baths was the total opposite. I took the ship tour in Nov. 2015. The sea was choppy on the boat ride to the Baths, but the boat and captain handled it well and passengers were comfortable. Red flags were up at the Baths indicating strong currents and No Swim warnings. We went through all the caves from one beach to the other round trip without issue. Despite several tour groups being at the Baths, we never encountered a crowded area. The natural beauty of the Baths kept me enthralled and I never experienced that dreaded tight feeling.

I've been to the Caribbean many times and to most of the islands. The tour to the Baths was one of the very best I've done in the Caribbean. This is a perfect example of how people experience things differently. My choice for a perfect beach day would never be Cane Bay Beach on Tortola (or Magens Bay on St. Thomas). Tortola is one of my favorite islands. I only hope that with the arrival of more cruise ships the island will not loose its charm which has happened on many of the other islands.

UGH! LOL...I was hoping this one had been covered...

Edited by blue_water