Any changes you've noticed at Cunard?

treasurer

Hi,

We haven't been on Cunard for a couple of years and wondered if there had been any changes in the way things are done? Are there still as many formal nights? Are there any casual nights? Anytime dining? What time are the shows presented at night? Are there still captain's loyalty parties for the repeat passengers? Are these repeated for each segment if you are on a very long cruise?

Would love to hear about changes you may have noticed. Thanks.

Hi, We haven't been on Cunard for a couple of years and wondered if there had been any changes in the way things are done? Are there still as many formal nights?
Yes, on transatlantic crossings. There were three in 2006, there are still three today (although the voyage is a day longer). There are less on cruises (esp short ones) it seems to me.
Are there any casual nights?
No. Informal nights, no casual.
Anytime dining?
Yes, linked to Queen and Princess Grill suites.

What time are the shows presented at night?
Twice a night, linked to the two sittings in the Britannia Restaurant.
Are there still captain's loyalty parties for the repeat passengers?
Yes.
Are these repeated for each segment if you are on a very long cruise?
Not sure for a world cruise, someone will know.
Step aboard and then let us know what you notice has improved/not improved. For me, each voyage is better than the last :)

Hope this helps, Bon Voyage!

Edited by pepperrn

Hi,

We haven't been on Cunard for a couple of years and wondered if there had been any changes in the way things are done? Are there still as many formal nights? Are there any casual nights? Anytime dining? What time are the shows presented at night? Are there still captain's loyalty parties for the repeat passengers? Are these repeated for each segment if you are on a very long cruise?

They seem to have two new ships! ;-)

By informal do you mean jacket and tie? This will be our first Cunard cruise. We have booked a 12 night. How many formal should we expect? The website is so complicated I am having bother finding answers to my questions.

How many formal nights on a 12 night cruise? What about the rest, informal, casual?

This is our first Cunard cruise.

There's only one other, informal. Jacket and tie or no tie.

Simples.

David

By informal do you mean jacket and tie? This will be our first Cunard cruise. We have booked a 12 night. How many formal should we expect? The website is so complicated I am having bother finding answers to my questions.
Hi caber,

There are two "types" of evenings, Formal and Informal, on Cunard ships.

In my experience, on a Cunard "Formal" evening, almost all passengers will be suitably attired; 90% of men in "black tie" (the others in a dark suit and tie), ladies in "dressy" dresses or gowns.

(there will be a few passengers who decide to skip this, dress casually and dine in the self-service buffet and use a nearby bar (passengers not dressed formally are requested to not use any other public rooms)).

On an "Informal" evening men are required to wear a jacket, wearing a tie is optional (but many will do so). Ladies wear cocktail dresses or similar (again there is a buffet option for casually dressed passengers).

This seems simple to me, however I am sorry I cannot tell you how many formal nights you will have on a twelve-night cruise (as a rough guide, formal evenings are generally sea-days, not port days. But there have been exceptions).

Whilst many cruise lines have varying ideas of what is meant by "formal" (and some passengers ignore any suggested dress-code), I am always pleased and delighted to see that "formal" still means "formal" (ie black tie) when I am on a Cunard voyage. I know others feel the same.

There are many photos of the interiors of the three Cunard ships via the link below, I hope they help to build the excitement for your cruise.

Why not join the roll-call for your cruise, there will be lots of additional information there.

Have a great time, Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

There's only one other, informal. Jacket and tie or no tie.

Simples.

David

Not quite so simple. We had a 'Casual' on Victoria last year. No jacket required.

I'm assuming it was a one off, but yes, Victoria had a Casual night, in Muscat, and I have photo of the restaurant code 'lectern' to prove it, as I knew not many would believe me!

Thanks for your replies. We normally cruise Princess where the informal nights have been dropped but have been on many P&O cruises where we had informal also. We like formal nights so the dress codes will not be a problem. I am looking forward to trying Cunard.

Go to voyage personalizer. Sign in, accept terms. Then you will see a page with info about your voyage. In the upper left corner is a box. Select voyage itinerary, and the page that comes up will show a day by day list, including the dress for the evening.

I hope this isn't too confusing, but it's easy enough when you get to the site.

This is one of the saddest changes, I think.

For me, it was when Cunard ships were re-flagged to a port of convenience; I found this very sad "...for the first time in its 171-year history, no ships in the Cunard fleet will be registered in the UK. Instead of having the name of their home port, Southampton, emblazoned across the stern and on their lifeboats, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth will carry the name of Hamilton, capital of Bermuda." copied from http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2011/10/cunard-confirms-change-of-flag.html

Edited by Salacia

For me, it was when Cunard ships were re-flagged to a port of convenience; I found this very sad "...for the first time in its 171-year history, no ships in the Cunard fleet will be registered in the UK. Instead of having the name of their home port, Southampton, emblazoned across the stern and on their lifeboats, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth will carry the name of Hamilton, capital of Bermuda." copied from http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2011/10/cunard-confirms-change-of-flag.html

It's sad but it's the shipping business . Cunard has had a checked past

You should feel happy , Cunard is still around

Yes, on transatlantic crossings. There were three in 2006, there are still three today (although the voyage is a day longer). There are less on cruises (esp short ones) it seems to me.

Yes, linked to Queen and Princess Grill suites.

Twice a night, linked to the two sittings in the Britannia Restaurant.

Yes.

Not sure for a world cruise, someone will know.

Step aboard and then let us know what you notice has improved/not improved. For me, each voyage is better than the last :)

Hope this helps, Bon Voyage!

Each voyage has a life of its own. For me some worse , some better

But to be a critic , one should be analytical

And tell the good and the bad. That's how things improve

Edited by turquoise 6
Idea