Behind the Scenes Tour

supered

Hi

We are interested in doing the Behind the Scenes tour on our upcoming voyage on Queen Victoria. We have 3 days at sea at the beginning. Can anyone tell me on what day this might take place. The voyage is 14 nights so is there a possibility that it might run more than once if it is oversubscribed? There are 5 sea days in total.

Finally how does one go about booking the tour/registering interest.

Thanks.

Eddie

Hi We are interested in doing the Behind the Scenes tour on our upcoming voyage on Queen Victoria. We have 3 days at sea at the beginning. Can anyone tell me on what day this might take place. The voyage is 14 nights so is there a possibility that it might run more than once if it is oversubscribed? There are 5 sea days in total. Finally how does one go about booking the tour/registering interest. Thanks. Eddie
Hi supered,

If this helps... I enjoyed the "Behind the Scenes" tour on the QM2 (WB transatlantic Dec '13).

I had to present myself (I asked at the Purser's Desk very soon after boarding) at the Tour Office at 9am on the first morning (when it opened), I got there early and by time 9 o'clock came, there was quite a queue behind me. Two days later I had a letter delivered to my cabin (from the Commodore) informing me that my application had been successful. The tour (one only) took place on the last "sea-day" before we docked.

The group (13 of us if I remember correctly) were a diverse lot... ( ;) ). The tour was well worth the fee charged. No photographs are allowed during the tour. We had a break for light refreshments and drinks, and were presented with a few "goodies" at the end. The conclusion took place on The Bridge with a photograph taken of each passenger in the group sat in the "Captain's Chair" with the master stood alongside.

As I said, if this helps.

Furthermore, I hope you are successful, and enjoy it as much as I did :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Can't comment on QV as they never ran it on the 2 short cruises we did on her, but on QM2 is was on the last sea day of an 11 day cruise, I guess they schedule it later in the cruise to be sure they have enough interest and staff to run it? You had to go to the tour office on the first morning of the cruise to book/register interest and places were confirmed in writing a couple of days later. It was well worth doing on QM2!

Thanks for your replies. It has been very helpful.

Eddie

we have done this on both QE and QV suggest you go straight to the pursers desk asap after boarding only one tour is done per cruise cost $120 when we did it

Hi,

We did the tour on QV 18months ago. It was near the end of the cruise as others have said. We had to apply to go on the tour at the pursuers office, then received notification that we were successful a few days later. There was only one tour running no matter how popular it was. I think there were about 15 people on it. There is a lot of walking but it was really interesting and I would definitely recommend doing it if you get the chance.

Just did it on the QV 28 day from Sydney to San Francisco. Put my name in right after boarding. The tour was done with 4 days left on the cruise. It was worth it, seeing many places and talking to the Chiefs of their departments. It lasted over 4 hours so a lot of walking and standing. We started in the Theater then worked our way back to the stern then forward to the bridge. You do get some goodies. Try to do it it was worth it.

I was lucky enough to complete one on the QM2 current world voyage. Usually one is conducted each sector or Voyage. Timing depends on what is happening with regards to Port Timings. As far as popularity goes, the tours are not advertised. You just have to know about them. I asked immediately on embarkation at my Port on the WC and was told that the application process would start on the first sea day after the start of the next sector (in this case, Sydney). I arrived at the tour desk at 8.20am for a 9am opening and there was already four people in the queue each wanting 2 tickets (so already half full before opening). By 9am the tour was already 'oversubscribed'. Your name is taken in order but it isn't until you receive your confirmation letter that you know you've been accepted. I'm thinking there must be some kind of security check.

It was a great tour lasting well over four hours and the Captain talked to us for around 3/4 hour. He was in no hurry. The refreshments were very welcome as it was a little tiring. We received a chefs Apron and hat, lots of fact sheets, a Pin, certificate, and photo with the Captain on the Bridge. I highly recommend it.

Edited by Pushka

Let me second all the good things you've heard above about the Behind the Scenes Tour. My wife and I took it on QM2 July 10, 2013. My blog about our experience starts here. It was well worth the cost ($120 pp) and the exercise.

Sounds really interesting, but how can I convince DH to spend $120 x 2 :eek:

By appealing to the geek in him ;). And by also telling him he can sit in the captain's chair. That and the visit to the Bridge is worth the cost of admission alone for me :D

Eddie

By appealing to the geek in him ;). And by also telling him he can sit in the captain's chair. That and the visit to the Bridge is worth the cost of admission alone for me :D

Eddie

You don't sit in the Captains Chair.

My husband did on the Queen Elizabeth. He went on his own & really enjoyed it.

I thought he'd got lost, he was gone so long !!

I think that's something different. These are tours of 16 people. Sounds like your husband has done a very special tour if he's on his own.

You don't sit in the Captains Chair.
Sorry I'm sure I had read this. Sorry if I was misinformed.
Last July Commodore Rynd invited each of us to sit in his chair and to wear his hat, if we wanted to, for each individual end-of-tour photo.

Last July Commodore Rynd invited each of us to sit in his chair and to wear his hat, if we wanted to, for each individual end-of-tour photo.

Nice. Guessing it depends on who the Captain is and whether he likes the "look" of the mob assembled. We probably looked a shabby lot, dratted colonials. :p

I've been on the bridge of QM2 twice; In 2007 with Commodore Warner and again in 2013 with Commodore Rynd.

I am certain that in 2007 the seat/chair on the starboard side of the centre-line bank of controls and display screens was pointed out as being "where the master or officer of the watch sits". I have also seen videos with various captains on QM2's bridge, they've all used this starboard seat.

On my recent visit, passengers on the tour had their photo taken in the seat on the port side of the central controls with the commodore stood alongside (but no cap was offered for the individual photos). I don't remember anyone saying "this is the captain's chair", maybe passengers on tours just assume it is?

At the time I noted that an officer ("on watch" at that point) was sat in the "other" seat (on the starboard side) whilst Commodore Rynd addressed us on the port side.

Does all this matter for the purposes of a photo? No, in my opinion; it is merely a souvenir of one's visit to the bridge. Wearing the captain's cap and sitting in "his" seat doesn't mean you were in command of QM2 for even a brief period (no matter what you tell the folks back home ;) ).

It is a photo, a memento, nothing more.

(Interestingly I was allowed to take several photos on the bridge in 2007, but sadly we were not permitted to use a camera in 2013 :( )

I'm sure some passengers and special guests have sat in the "captain's seat", but not on the tour I was part of.

Edited by pepperrn