Camera bag for the ship

Hi,

We are traveling in July to Bermuda on our first big cruise (went to Bahamas in Oct 2000 for 3 days). I have a Nikon 3100 with 2 lenses. I probably will be primarily using the 55-300 lens I just purchased. When we are around the ship, I'd like to bring my camera. I'm searching for a trendy bag (that doesn't scream camera) that won't be too bulky but will fit the camera, room key, lipstick, and cell phone. I've been looking for a small handbag or messenger style cross body bag. I have a camera insert, so the padding isn't a necessity--looking more at purses versus camera bags.

I've read where people don't usually carry bags around on the ship, but what do you do with your camera when you aren't taking pictures? I'm concerned about it just being around my neck--bumping into things or getting wet.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks so much! Amy

I use a cross-body strap from BlackRapid for my camera. It is adjustable and you can accessorize it with an armpit strap that keeps it close when wandering about.

As for bags, I carry a small cross-body bag from PacSafe, both onboard and on excursions. It doesn't scream "camera!" but isn't what you would call trendy. They have all sorts of bags on their site (some trendy) and they serve double duty as protection for your items from cut-and-run pickpockets with steel cable embedded in the straps and bag body.

Very reasonable for the level of quality.

Dave

I have this Tamrac (or an earlier version) that I love. Enough room for a body and most lenses (not sure about a 55-300 on the body!), a spare, and possibly a flash. It's a messenger style, so it doesn't shout "camera". And, it has an outer pocket for miscellany, as well as two mesh pockets for a bottle of water or sunglasses.

Something to consider. I bought mine at B&H 3-4 years ago. I'm pretty sure if you e-mail them, they can tell you whether your body and lens will fit.

840844.jpg

I'm a "semi-pro" camera bag collector!;) One that I use a lot for similar purposes as you is this one. Lowepro passport sling:

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Passport-Sling-Camera-Bag/dp/B0039NLS4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420602591&sr=8-1&keywords=lowepro+sling

I have the gray one, but I don't know that I'd pay $15 extra for that but the gray looks less like a camera bag. It has a zipper that runs across the bottom, so you can expand it a lot. The only thing I don't like about it is that the pockets on the outside don't zip or velcro closed. It may be bigger than you want, I can carry camera, extra lens, flash and still stuff in a light weight jacket. But it's light, and has a slim profile. You can carry on one shoulder or across your body.

As a woman, I also sometimes carry a very small purse-like backpack, with some extra padding I add to the bottom, esp if I'm going somewhere that I don't want it to look like a camera bag.

On the ship, where I don't need any extras, I often carry a cheap roomy glitzy bag with a shoulder strap from Walmart, just to be convenient. Not particularly padded, but I'm just walking around with the camera and maybe a book or something else to do.

I'm a "semi-pro" camera bag collector!;) One that I use a lot for similar purposes as you is this one. Lowepro passport sling:

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Passport-Sling-Camera-Bag/dp/B0039NLS4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420602591&sr=8-1&keywords=lowepro+sling

I have the gray one, but I don't know that I'd pay $15 extra for that but the gray looks less like a camera bag. It has a zipper that runs across the bottom, so you can expand it a lot. The only thing I don't like about it is that the pockets on the outside don't zip or velcro closed. It may be bigger than you want, I can carry camera, extra lens, flash and still stuff in a light weight jacket. But it's light, and has a slim profile. You can carry on one shoulder or across your body.

As a woman, I also sometimes carry a very small purse-like backpack, with some extra padding I add to the bottom, esp if I'm going somewhere that I don't want it to look like a camera bag.

On the ship, where I don't need any extras, I often carry a cheap roomy glitzy bag with a shoulder strap from Walmart, just to be convenient. Not particularly padded, but I'm just walking around with the camera and maybe a book or something else to do.

I bought the same Low Pro bag for my new Nikon! Thought it would be good to fly with plus it will hold my ipad (iphone, wallet).

However, I have my heart set on owning the Ona Palma whenever I hit lotto

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/982511-REG/ona_ona017br_palma_bag_antique.html

or

Lo & Sons

https://www.loandsons.com/camerabag-crossbody

B & H Photo has many fashion camera bags you can view online. This one also looked interesting.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1000331-REG/kelly_moore_bag_kmb_sueb_egg_2_sues_shoulder_bag.html

Edited by lolane1

B & H Photo has many fashion camera bags you can view online. This one also looked interesting.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1000331-REG/kelly_moore_bag_kmb_sueb_egg_2_sues_shoulder_bag.html

Oh, I like that one too! Another one to collect!:D

Penguin I also liked your idea of carrying a tote around the ship. Great idea. I think the padding in our LowPro is removable and can be used, if necessary, in a "glitzy tote."

visit thinktankphoto.com and check out their messenger bags and their city walker line of bags. Lots and lots of choices. You can buy them at B&H as well.

I'll have to second Mr. Click! I have the retrospective 30 and 50 depending on what I'm shooting. Also depending on your taste, Ona makes really great bags.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

We are traveling in July to Bermuda on our first big cruise (went to Bahamas in Oct 2000 for 3 days). I have a Nikon 3100 with 2 lenses. I probably will be primarily using the 55-300 lens I just purchased. When we are around the ship, I'd like to bring my camera. I'm searching for a trendy bag (that doesn't scream camera) that won't be too bulky but will fit the camera, room key, lipstick, and cell phone. I've been looking for a small handbag or messenger style cross body bag. I have a camera insert, so the padding isn't a necessity--looking more at purses versus camera bags.

I've read where people don't usually carry bags around on the ship, but what do you do with your camera when you aren't taking pictures? I'm concerned about it just being around my neck--bumping into things or getting wet.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks so much! Amy

Amy, I was searching navy coral fabric for pillows and came across this bag on Etsy. I think it's perfect for a cruise (Bahamas, Bermuda, Caribbean)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/209376490/camera-purse-slouch-dslr-tote-bag-darby?ref=sr_gallery_40&ga_search_query=camera+bag+coral&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

il_570xN.678585709_7b2h.jpg

Thanks for thinking of me, lolane1!

I looked at the bag and it looked familiar actually---I had previously "liked" the store in Etsy--they have several cute bags and prints!! (I spent a great deal of time searching on Etsy a few weeks ago!)

I did purchase a bag last week--a 31 Bags "hostess exclusive" backpack style "organizing pack" in navy blue. It retired at some point but I was able to find it brand new on E-Bay. It has two openings, lots of pockets and space for the camera and extras. I also liked that it had two water bottle pockets on the exterior. I see us using this on excursions for sure. It might be bulky for just walking around the ship, not sure. It would also hold a sweater or light jacket for the evening if it got chilly.

I don't know if there will be a 'perfect' bag, but I do feel confident that I have several that will work, depending on what we are doing!

Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...
I use a cross-body strap from BlackRapid for my camera. It is adjustable and you can accessorize it with an armpit strap that keeps it close when wandering about.

As for bags, I carry a small cross-body bag from PacSafe, both onboard and on excursions. It doesn't scream "camera!" but isn't what you would call trendy. They have all sorts of bags on their site (some trendy) and they serve double duty as protection for your items from cut-and-run pickpockets with steel cable embedded in the straps and bag body.

Very reasonable for the level of quality.

Dave

These two were going to be my suggestions as well.

My DH recommends the Crumpler 3 Million Dollar home bag:

http://www.adorama.com/CL3MDHNRD.html?adver=new&gclid=Cj0KEQiA6ounBRCq0LKBjKGgysEBEiQAZmpvA3ZmnQRTQyV1lrUxPIZPTplL0lEWaGv82_lJEy_iWfEaApQm8P8HAQ

They're around $50, although we got one on sale right after Christmas for around $20, what a bargain!!

I use a Blackrapid strap that has a steel core inside the strap. It has a shoulder pad that has a zippered compartment for extra memory sticks. I use an after market dual battery pack for my Canon T4i camera so I do not run out of power or have to carry extra battery packs, it is already in the camera! I used this combination all over our Eastern Med Cruise with no issues and great pictures.