YVR airport

csk0528

I'm going on a cruise in/out Vancouver this September...I had a flight departing from YVR at 12:10pm and this past week Alaska Air changed my flight to 10:45am....not comfortable with that departure time as our ship docks at 7:00am. Even though I had to make a change on my returning airport (LAX instead of BUR) I did...better than to have stress at the end of our family cruise on whether we would make that flight. RCI advised me the earliest time for return flights was 12:00pm in their recommendation. Consider very carefully what will work out best for you...not based on what other's have been "able" to do.

As YVR is NOT in Alaska, I would be asking on the Canada board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

or perhaps on the West Coast Departures board, where YVR is discussed regularly, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

Of course it's not, but I can understand the OP's confusion...it's an Alaska cruise return/departure point ;):)

Edited by Ashland

Here's a possible timeline...

• 7am ship arrives
  • 7:30am first passenger walks off
  • 8:15am customs and locates luggage
  • 8:20am board taxi (early taxi's are high demand, especially if more than one ship is in port). Try walking to the Pan Pacific or Waterfront hotel street level to see if the queues are shorter.
  • 9am arrive at airport. It takes around 35 minutes to get to the airport (pending traffic congestion). You want to be at airport 3hrs in advance for check-in, registration, customs, and your searches (baggage, weapons, body, hand, and cavity).
  • 12pm wheels up.... as mentioned you want a flight at noon or later to be stress free.

Personally I would look at a later flight to enjoy the breakfast and the peak passenger congestion to clear.

@csk0528: To clarify, which day are you arriving...

Edited by xlxo

Here's a possible timeline...

• 7am ship arrives
  • 7:30am first passenger walks off
  • 8:15am customs and locates luggage
  • 8:20am board taxi (early taxi's are high demand, especially if more than one ship is in port). Try walking to the Pan Pacific or Waterfront hotel street level to see if the queues are shorter.
  • 9am arrive at airport. It takes around 35 minutes to get to the airport (pending traffic congestion). You want to be at airport 3hrs in advance for check-in, registration, customs, and your searches (baggage, weapons, body, hand, and cavity).
  • 12pm wheels up.... as mentioned you want a flight at noon or later to be stress free.

Personally I would look at a later flight to enjoy the breakfast and the peak passenger congestion to clear.

@csk0528: To clarify, which day are you arriving...

Here is a more realistic time line

• 7am ship arrives
  • 8:30am first passenger walks off (you have to assume that you are not near the front of the walk off line)
  • 9:15am customs cleared
  • 9:45 am board taxi
  • 10:15 am arrive at airport. You want to be at airport and allow at least 2 hours hrs for check-in, customs, and security.
  • 12:15 pm through security and customs and heading to the gate.
  • 1:15 pm flight departs.

Sure it can go quicker than this but there is no telling how long clearing customs twice will take, and how quickly you get off the ship.

what is the earliest flight anyone has had at the end of the cruise to YVR, we always do self embrak, our ship arrives at 7AM

Thanks

it would depend on if it were a domestic, international or transborder (USA) flight. The latter requires passing through US Immigration and Customs prior to reaching your gate and that process adds 0-90 minutes.

A domestic flight, no luggage, you could probably catch a 9:00 or 9:30 flight, but not knowing if you have luggage, or where you're flying to makes answering your inquiry near impossible.

is at 10:45 - im on deck 5 so my plan is to walk myself off as i only have one bag so it wont be difficult to get down to deck 4 and im gonna grab a cab and be on my way....not stressed at all :)

but you don't have to clear US immigration and customs

is at 10:45 - im on deck 5 so my plan is to walk myself off as i only have one bag so it wont be difficult to get down to deck 4 and im gonna grab a cab and be on my way....not stressed at all :)

And you're not the original poster who asked the question; that is who we need more information from.

And you're not the original poster who asked the question; that is who we need more information from.

? My impression of the OP QUESTION was what was the earliest flight as their flight got changed to 1045..... I was stating a fact that I booked a 1045 flight and there's nothing to stress about....

? My impression of the OP QUESTION was what was the earliest flight as their flight got changed to 1045..... I was stating a fact that I booked a 1045 flight and there's nothing to stress about....

I can see where the confusion arose - a different poster mentioned not long after the original post about having had a 10:45am flight. That person quite sensibly changed their flight to a later time - unlike Albertans, they had to do US Customs & Immigration at YVR which while often quick (yay for the kiosks!) still adds another step and potential bottleneck to the process.

Since the OP didn't say if they're bound for a Canadian, American, or International destination your 'domestic flight at 10:45am is fine for me' opinion could be quite relevant or horribly bad advice - for the OP. I think they also appeared on another thread with some clarification that their flight choices were 11am or 11pm, so my guess is they're not going somewhere Canadian...